Mimi's Cafe

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.6

Jim Vinz

Pros
  • interesting history, good food but high in calories (in 8 reviews)

• Flexible hours,good location,good food,at first everyone sems helpfull and nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • location: they are slow often which leads to people being sent home and not making very much money (in 4 reviews)

• 25k to become a General Manager/Managing Partner (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Server

Former Employee - Server in Hemet, CA
    Former Employee - Server in Hemet, CA

I worked at Mimi's Cafe

Pros

Was great at first, but that soon changed when there was too many employees and no work and managers being careless and not being examples or having not had restaurant management training previous To them having this job.

Cons

Business's died, yet managers kept hiring new employees. Lead to all employees only working two days a week for 1.5-4 hours a shift. Leaving our bi-weekly(2wks) check at 80.00 if we were lucky. Business went out of business and j had to call them after returning home from my vacation multiple times to enquire my next shift, and I finally got bombarded with the news with no warning. Also I needed my GM to fill out a form with some informarmation that my current future landlord needed form section 8 housing, and they took over the asked time I informed them I needed to return it to the apartment manager. And they lost the actual form and it took over two weeks for them to finally tell me they lost it.. By that time I did not look reliable or responsible to the apartment housing and therefore the denied me and I was suppost to move in as soon as we got that form, I even had already had the gas and electric bills in my name. I also tried to get unemployment and they denied me and the reasoning is because they falsely stated that I had quit unannounced. I am currently filing an appeal. I just recently got employed with an AMAZING job and am truely blessed, but I thought i meeded to share my expirence just for others to be aware and cautious.

Training and respect and not making scenes infront of guests.

From a server turned manager.

Former Employee - Shift Manager in Lincoln, CA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Lincoln, CA

I worked at Mimi's Cafe part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mimi's Cafe is based on a wonderful culture inspired by the French Quarter. Each level of employee is held to a certain standard to keep with the culture.

Cons

There is a degree of trickle down from the original owners to new ownership in rules and accountability. Many people feel like Mimi's Cafe is like Denny's and don't appreciate the quality Mimi's provides.

Part time management is saddled with all the responsibilities but is not guaranteed time or benefits and does not receive bonuses.

Not a pleasant experience

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Mimi's Cafe (more than 3 years)

Pros

Food is good, and like any restaurant the people in the building with you are nice.

Cons

Constant unrelenting changes, and so many are just busy-work. Every month there is a new program to roll out. Feels like training and marketing are just churning out stuff to keep themselves busy/employed. No time to actually "run" the restaurant with all of the other BS we were constantly chasing after. A zillion forms and checklists to continually fill out, etc. What a chaotic mess. Units closing right and left, area managers that treat people horrible, actually enjoys catching something wrong, instead of right, and upper mgmt doesn't care.
    I started out very excited and hopeful. Now?...I'm out!

Find a way to keep your people happy and keep them period...turnover is rediculous. Don't treat them like crap for starters. STOP with the constant changes and "initiatives" every dang month. Quit making so many menu changes. Allow managers to actually staff the building...cant run a restaurant without people on the floor or at the door.

Wouldn't recommend

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Mimi's Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

$5 off any food purchases

Cons

Food is awful,

Poor training, after five days doing some portions of a server's job for them I was left pretty much in the dark as to what I'd be doing and had to figure it out on my own. Trainer skipped major portions of what my work consisted of and I've been fortunate enough to find out on my own as I've gone.

Most days you'll go home an hour or two later than scheduled as a result of lengthy sidework that you're not paid for.

Culinary Manager

Current Employee - Culinary Manager
    Current Employee - Culinary Manager

I have been working at Mimi's Cafe full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

PTO
    free food for management

Cons

leadership all over the place and constant changes
    working in the restaurant industry leads to no holidays off

stop with the constant coupons.
    its good to change up the menu but need to stop with the constant tweaks of how to make the item

Hostest/Server

Former Employee - Server/Hostess
    Former Employee - Server/Hostess

I worked at Mimi's Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sometimes you get a free meal, and I had a good camaraderie with my fellow servers.

Cons

Management kept changing and it was hit or miss. Having a bad manager can really make work not fun

When managers seem at ease, that puts servers at ease. Running around panicked all the time helps no one.

Needs More Organization

Current Employee - Host in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Host in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Mimi's Cafe part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool people, the food is good, the ambiance in the restaurant is nice and unique.

Cons

I also think they need to train better. It could've been at my particular location (who knows)..but the training there was awful! I understand they need to cut hours, but having one host when it's busy is absolutely ridiculous. Doing to-go orders and seating people at the same time is not easy when it's just you!

I think they need to stop changing the menu's and bring back the fancy table cloths and flowers they used to have in the restaurant. They became cheap and it reflects on their business.

Overall a great learning experience

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mason, OH
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Mason, OH

I have been working at Mimi's Cafe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and benifits, fairly laid back

Cons

Typical DM favoritism, its unavoidable in this industry. Turning Mgmt. against each other..cut throat

no thanks

A fun place to work.

Former Employee - Server in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Mimi's Cafe full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well some of the good things about working there were that you got to interact with new people at every table & sometimes meet some really nice cool people. Also you got a discount on your meals.

Cons

Some of the things that were bad about working here is that sometimes you would have to wait on some of the rudest people. If they were having a bad day it definitely would reflect on your tip.

Take care of your employees that work hard & keep the restaurant clean. Give them more good shifts & not the lazy ones that don't do anything. I know at the mimis I worked at in jax,fl in the town center there was this waitress Kat that worked her butt off & was always cleaning & they hardly give her any shifts. That is why I left. No one ever told you good job no matter how many wine flights you sold or how much you upsale. Need to have some kind of reward system or recognition.

Managers uninvolved and unprofessional

I worked at Mimi's Cafe part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hired me on the spot

Cons

-Slow business even at night
    -Constantly running out of food
    -Management would constantly hide out in the back office during a rush, leaving the serving staff to fend for themselves
    -Management unprofessional: gossips about other members of staff, male manager would gawk at female employees

-Act like management, maintain a professional leadership role

Mimi's Cafe Photos