Mind Candy

Updated May 3, 2014

Mind Candy CEO Michael Acton Smith

Michael Acton Smith

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If only they lived up to their potential

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAmazing people.
    Amazing office.
    Great perks.
    Good salary.
    Potential for great IP.

ConsPoor management.
    No team ownership.
    Poor hires over the last 24 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your teams.
    Be true to your company values.

A previously great company that now suffers from an increasingly bad working environment.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMind Candy has given me a chance to really improve my abilities and learn a huge amount. If you're in the right team, then the opportunity to really get stuck in with lots of things is there.

Hands down though, the people are the best thing about the company. Many of them are amazingly talented, really friendly, ready to teach you and always happy to tell you about what they're doing. They're really sociable and are the primary reason that I'm still at the company.

ConsThe working atmosphere is becoming more toxic by the day. It used to be great, but has been going steadily down hill for a while.

Management has directly stated multiple times that they don't believe in "work life balance" and this is seen in the way that some of the product teams are expected to work long hours, denied time off, and berated or fired when they push back.

There have been a few instances of people being let go for being disruptive or negative when they speak out, and this does nothing except help foster a general feeling of fear.

Management spends a lot of time talking about the company values and how important they are, but having a set of principles does nothing if actions aren't taken to back them up.

Ultimately, management don't seem to trust the talented people working under them, causing teams to feel that their work isn't important, but get annoyed if people don't have required level of passion. They spin lines about wanting smart, creative, interesting individuals with great ideas, but these days it feels like they just want people to get the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to people, stop pretending everything is ok, and treat people with more respect. It's fine to want people who are invested in the company, but telling people that means working long hours is unfair and disrespectful

Great people, terrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsAmazing people - extremely friendly and superbly talented
    Fun office environment
    Great Parties

ConsWhen I first started at Mind Candy I really believed in the product and loved working with people who were so passionate about what they do. Unfortunately that passion doesn't seem to extend to management.
    In a very short space of time MC seemed to go from creating content that was well developed and well executed and kept users engaged, to churning out the same thing again and again with more concern about the speed it was put out then the quality of the work.

Many new projects have been started only to be shelved several times (letting members of staff go in the process) and then resurrected again. This leaves people feeling incredibly deflated and unmotivated, and moral was declining significantly.

I was led to believe that there were many opportunities at MC but those never seemed to come to fruition - despite trying to work with management to put steps and goals in place for me to achieve in order to progress, they seemed disinterested and as though they were constantly pushing back or postponing.

There was a severe lack of management, and hearing a manager say they couldn't do an annual review as they didn't know what the employee had worked on was appalling. Members of staff have been publicly berated for leaving work when its already 2 hours later than their contracted finishing time, others are told they are to move to a role that is not within their remit or leave.

I voiced all my concerns when leaving, as I know several others have since, but it seems these concerns have fallen on deaf ears and things have gotten progressively worse, which is heartbreaking to hear as there are so many incredibly talented individuals there who are completely wasted and unappreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, be aware of what people who report to you directly are actually working on, give people goals to work towards

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of potential, but hampered by lack of direction

Developer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsOne of the London tech scene success stories, the office is cool and the tech is exciting. The company used to offer a wide range of snacks, breakfast, soft drinks, beer but there's less / lower quality now.

ConsThe company is unsure where they're going, starting and stopping projects (one in particular has been cancelled and resurrected three times now). There's a greater emphasis on being seen to work than actually working, and verbal and mental abuse if people have to leave at the end of the day instead of working all night.

Advice to Senior ManagementMoshi Monsters was a phenomenal success, but comparing all new projects to it and then cancelling them because they might not live up to the potential is demoralising and hurts staff enthusiasm. When you're relying on that enthusiasm to keep people in the office all night you should at least provide some payoff

Worked for Mind Candy? Contribute to the Community!