Mind Candy Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
3.2

Mind Candy CEO Michael Acton Smith
Michael Acton Smith

Challenging and ambitious - lots of change afoot!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hugely exciting products in the pipeline, with the change to pitch your own for the future
    Moshi brand is still huge (in the UK)
    Amazing people who aren't just there for the paycheck
    Fantastic connection to the customers who are super passionate about the games
    Lots of opportunities to learn and grow and change your role
    Most approachable senior management team of anywhere I've worked - though hugely busy they are alway open to talk to
    Very high profile tech company in the UK - deserves to be higher elsewhere in the world
    Aiming and thinking big

Cons

Having 'difficult second album' issues at the moment, so lots of changes and some mis-steps.
    Being without CTO for a year resulted in over-focus on product ahead of sustainable development, which has caused some folks to leave. But I believe this can be fixed!
    Needs to make more smaller bets and be more agile - but senior management are aware of this and taking steps to change
    Until very recently didn't have a pension (but now does).

Recognise what has/hasn't worked and make changes accordingly
    Develop sustainably
    Be more agile and mix small & large bets/projects

Good while it lasted

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary and benefits, ever changing environment

Cons

Lack of communication, ever changing environment

Communicate

you are expandable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mind Candy full-time

Pros

good study atmosphere
    professional engineers

Cons

constantly changing requirement and company strategy

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place I have ever worked.

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people to work with and learn from, the ability to move up within the company through hard work, fully stocked kitchen (have to add that in!). We have amazing new IP launching and a new game-changing App and I feel we are just about to take off (again)!

Cons

Employees can get down by other employee's (past and present) negativity, especially those outspoken about not being happy here. They are a complete minority, but a loud one.

We trust you so please trust us! 99.9% of us believe in YOU and this company!

Fast paced, ambitious & exciting!

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time

Pros

No day is ever the same - Mind Candy is a very fast paced company where achievements are celebrated. It is full of lovely, super-smart people who care about one another and the company. A collaborative bunch where no question is ever stupid, too big or too small. At Mind Candy you are continually encouraged to take ownership of your work. There are now a lot of communication forums as this was something which was seen to be a problem in the past. Employees are also encouraged to get involved with events outside of work such as charities, tech meet ups and the running of school clubs.

Cons

Can sometimes feel slightly chaotic as it is so fast paced. The company has changed a lot over the past few years (good & bad) which has in turn lead to pockets of negativity.

Keep up the good work. Continue to be positive role models for employees and continue to listen to everyone - it's 100% a two way thing.

Fast paced, fun, creative place to work!

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work on great brands and are empowered to make things happen if you have a passion for what you do. There is opportunity to move around internally and your progression is taken seriously.
    There are great events throughout the year including an off site conference, and loads of other things you can get involved in depending what you're in to.
    The company has grown rapidly and changes a lot which may not be great for some people. Although I believe it will get better and better particularly when we have a new CEO on board. Exciting times!
    I work in a non-tech team and would say it's a great place with a really good team that are fun but also experienced giving us all opportunity to learn from each other.

Note: 'No opinion' for CEO is selected whilst the search for a new CEO is on.

Cons

There are a few 'cons' that some people have issue with, for example benefits, turnover, but senior management are aware, they discuss them openly with staff and are tackling them when the time is right.

Is good, but can you make it better.

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the most talented and creative people are (or were) at Mind Candy .
    All friendly people. Free snacks and nice kitchen. Starters lunch. Fun parties. Good IT technology and computer.

Cons

Really bad management.
    All great people have left.
    Poor decision with new IP.
    No career development.
    Negative feeling in atmosphere.
    No more passion.
    No fun.
    Feel bad.

Many people are leaving and the reason is obvious for the past year. Very quickly change or Mind Candy success will have been for nothing.

Incredible people, wasted talent

I worked at Mind Candy

Pros

Cool working environment with fun space. Best thing about this company is their ability to attract incredible people.

Cons

Overcome by fear of failure, the entrepreneurial phrase "Fail fast" does not apply here. In the past 2 years Mind Candy have been unable to release one mobile title until recently. Employees are driven by fear of getting the boot. The "magic" that the company once had has been diluted by poor managers who do not believe in or respect the people they have hired on for their expertise. Performance reviews are non-existent even when you ask repeatedly for some standard of "success" or way to be promoted.

Every product has been shelved or delayed numerous times and a constant cycle of starting over with never releasing any titles has the company spinning wheels with very low moral.

Empower and respect the talent you have before they all wise up and go.

Best place I've ever worked...but people need to be realistic

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Office is a great place to work and the resources you get to do your job are top notch. Genuinely looked after by all. Great to work with creative & talented people and personally have moved up career wise. Have plenty of opportunity to get involved and influence the company structure & shape.
    I've been exposed to many new & upcoming technologies and had opportunities to develop & apply these in most cases. I don't get micro-managed & get to make my own choices and decisions.
    We have been working hard to improve some issues around people management and focus. Since Jeff Reynar our new CTO has come on board we have made many improvements in Tech culture, career progression and have made big strides into HR & culture projects. Along with some exciting new products going live this year the outlook is great.

Cons

The pace can be crazy but its not a constant work late , high pressure environment some reviewers have made it out to be. There are specific areas that have had tough deadlines, but success doesn't come packaged in a cotton wool coated massage chair and a never ending supply of jelly beans. The place of work is great because you need to go that extra mile.
    Your success is mostly down to you as an individual contributor & as a team member. Some teams have found the pace hard going but some of that is self inflicted...like dropping Agile for Waterfall.....skimping on TDD. Perhaps though sometimes let down by less experienced leads & managers, but the best people overcome this sort of shortcoming. If you have a bad manager well do something about it.
    Your a "Mind candy" or your not, you take the rough with the smooth, you speak your mind but are passionate about what you do, if you genuinely work hard and contribute outstanding work the sky is the limit. But lets be realistic ...this applies to any place of work.

People are motivated in different ways. Try to see work life balance from an individuals perspective and you will get the best out of them.

Exciting, collaborative, creative.... There are a load of good reasons why you should work here!

I have been working at Mind Candy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Its a small company and like all good small companies, the ability to be involved and make a real difference is always going to be attractive when joining Mind Candy. The company has some some of the most creative people in it I have ever worked with and along with great Techs and Admin staff, Mind Candy definitely has a "Can Do" attitude about it. There is no doubt, it will be a game changer in the future!

Cons

Be prepared to get out of your comfort zone! Mind Candy is all about innovation, it will challenge the norm and people will put ideas on the table that are different and that will take the company off into new territories, so you are either comfortable with embracing the change and ambiguity, or your not......

Worked for Mind Candy? Contribute to the Community!