Mind Research Institute

www.mindresearch.net

Mind Research Institute Reviews

Updated Feb 18, 2014

Ted Smith

To educate all students with Math through visual learning without words.

Support Operations Director (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsWorking with cross functional work groups and staff throughout all schools within the US.

ConsCompany layoff due to economic climate.

Great company - great future

(Current Employee)

ProsVery smart and motivated leadership
    Great product - really helps kids learn math
    Innovative approach to getting products into schools - the non-profit partnership with business to fund the products and programs is a great idea. This success has allowed MIND to meet its non-profit mission while continuing to raise funds via the sale of its software. I see this as a "virtuous cycle" which will help MIND to continue investing for the future and build even better products in the future.

ConsNone to speak of. As with any organization, it is not perfect, especially when it has grown so quickly over the last few years. Still-it has so much potential and (hopefully) will continue to prosper.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to stay innovative and creative, and to continue to push to be the best/premium product for helping kids understand math.

Improving

ProsThe culture/environment were good before. Recent changes are making this an even better place to work. The founder is starting to take the reins of the company and share his values and vision for the product. Managers throughout the company now receive leadership training, and an awesome new benefit: tuition reimbursement.

ConsA few other benefits would be nice: fitness reimbursement for gym memberships, workplace advantage corporate discounts. These types of benefits would put MIND on par with other tech companies.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Non profit or for-profit?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA very smart and passionate founder created a great math software product to teach young students about math in an entertaining but effective way that provides them with the logic behind the math.

ConsThe company is trying to be non-profit solution to the education system, while also trying to grow like a for-profit business. This causes different groups in the company to have conflicting goals with little or no communication or coordination between them.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has to have more than lofty goals.-they need to also provide a realistic and achievable path to reach those goals. They need to have deeper knowledge of the challenges of their employees and the inherent challenges of the market. They need to know what investments need to be made and when. They need to know where to make the hard trade offs; when to walk away from questionable 'opportunities' and know how to grow in a controlled and successful manner without compromising their overall ideals and goals. Lastly, they need to effectively and consistently communicate that to their employees and ensure all levels of management are working as a team with one unified vision.

Sales

ProsThe most innovative, research driven-based-proven educational program I have ever seen or been associated with. Working for a company who is saturated with hard working mission driven like minded people is not only unusual, it provides a new level of satisfaction for all involved in delivering our goods into the hands of students...at any level, anywhere. Exciting times as the company is positioned on the cutting edge and about to experience a growth spurt. New Partnerships are aligning this company for an even brighter future.

ConsToo much middle management that is ineffective and doesn't add value over all. One division in particular is run top down and with a toxic approach that doesn't empower the hard working people that make up the majority of folks doing the real work. When there is an employee that needs to be replaced, it often takes far too long to make change, perhaps because of the absence of HR.
    CEO & Chairman of the Board are one and the same...absolute no no in the non-profit world.
    Pricing needs to be redefined.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action!

Innovative, mission-driven organization

Director of Content Creation (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsWithout any doubt the most exciting, purposeful, and dynamic place I've ever had the pleasure of working. With the success of ST Math driving the fast rate of expansion of the MIND Research Institute there is an almost limitless range of opportunity.

ConsThis is a fast growing, innovation lead company. For the right person this is an atmosphere in which they can thrive, providing opportunities for personal growth they may have never envisaged, however, for someone less interested in being at that cutting edge, this may just not be the right fit.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease flexibility of product pricing structure to enable a more diverse market base

Commitment to employee, school, and student success

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsInnovative technology. Passionate founder. Student achievement results that are changing the face of education. Senior leadership through field personnel of sales and marketing and local support personnel collaborate regularly to consistently exceed expectations. Great growth potential. Flexible so that change occurs to meet market demands.

ConsInternal changes happen much more slowly than the changes made to meet market demands. Would benefit from increased accountability in some areas.

A great place to be

Prosgreat product. The only company I have been with in the industry that cares about customer success, not just profit. Growing and evolving. If you have worked for the large software publishers in the industry, you will recognize Mind for what it is, a great place that cares about students.

ConsSalary ranges are a little below industry ranges

Great educational product, great people, satisfying work.

Engineering (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsEngineering Department is very innovative, many opportunities to learn and excel. Management is very accessible and appreciates quality work. The company is growing and expanding at a rapid pace.

ConsMany changes over the years, the company has had growing pains, but things are improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the experience and knowledge of employees that work in the field, they have a lot to contribute.

Designer

ProsThis place is the Google of Education!!

ConsIt's headquartered in Irvine (and not LA)

Worked for Mind Research Institute? Contribute to the Community!