Mindvalley Reviews

Updated April 19, 2015
43 reviews filtered by
  • Malaysia

A really beautiful and life changing experience

Former Employee - Content Creation Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Content Creation Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked with Mindvalley for 2 years and I can honestly say that these 2 years were some of the best years of my life. It's crazy how much knowledge I accumulated while being here and how much I have grown, not just professionally but also personally.

The company has great culture and if you are willing and open to embrace it, it will shape you in a really beautiful way.

You meet really amazing people from all over the world and even though you're far away from home, you do feel like you have a family here.

The number 1 I love about this company is the fact that Vishen, the CEO, makes himself available to all and that he treats everyone with so much admiration, love and respect.

After you pass probation, you can even schedule 1 hour lunch with him and ask him for guidance and mentorship not only for the work you do in Mindvalley but your own business as well. I have worked in other companies abroad and I can tell you that none of them had something like this.

It's so refreshing to see someone as successful as he is, be so accessible, so humble, so modest and who cares about his employees as much as he does. (he even knows everyone's names). You tell him about your goals, dreams and intentions and he gets super excited about your dreams as if they are his own... You don't really meet people like this too often. Plus, he's a super inspiring person and you learn tons from working with him and also from simply observing him do his thing :)

Mindvalley shifts your mindset and it makes you aware of how much you can actually achieve and how there are no limits to what you can achieve except those you impose on yourself.

Other cool things about Mindvalley...

Ask Vishen - once every few months you have Ask Vishen where you can address any question you might have, anonymously, and he will answer it in front of the whole company

Learn Day - every month, there is Learn Day and during this day the whole company spends time studying. No work, just study :)

Whenever you want, you can just take a break to dance, sing, laugh, cry, etc. Not a boring office with boring people, that's for sure.

The office is beautifully designed and the energy is very positive and pleasant.

Team Retreat - every year the whole company goes on retreat for 4 days to a 5star hotel and everything is covered by Mindvalley

A-Fest - you can volunteer and go to A-Fest where you can meet some really amazing and influential people from all over the world

No hierarchy system. I never really felt like Vishen was my boss but more like a teacher and mentor. He treats people with love and compassion and like i said, he's very humble and modest. Also, the guy has a great sense of humor which makes work a lot more fun.

If you're smart and you come up with cool and innovative ideas, you are given the freedom and opportunity to build your own department...

Cons

I feel like the H.R. department needs improvement, salaries could be higher and managers could do some work on improving their soft skills :)

Advice to Management

Work on establishing a career framework to maximize your employee's potential

Cannot imagine working anywhere else

Current Employee - Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Manager in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, casual, lots of amazing ideas to learn from, amazing like-minded spiritual people and those seeking further personal growth (kinship), a company that dreams big and gives back which is very inspiring for personal and professional goals, trainings and education sharing between teams. Having worked in several companies before Mindvalley, I see a vast difference in how teams communicate, are run, and also interaction between employees. I feel I can truly express myself in this space, which makes me feel happy, and makes me do better work without dealing with tight protocols.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings that take place, which means you might have to squeeze time here and there to execute on your tasks, but I see this as an opportunity to learn more on a subject and also how the company is growing, which is a huge benefit and key learning on so many levels. So this can also be seen as a good thing based on mindset, but it's also thought me to be better organized and put several automated systems in place.

Advice to Management

Management is doing a great job, though I'd like to see them share management tips with each other so each can grow effectively.

3. The biggest learning experience in my whole career

Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome Learning Environment. I was given a lot of responsabilities from the very first day. I got to work with amazing talented people from more than 20 different countries. There was a lot fun and hard work.

Cons

I don't know how is it today but back in the day I saw some people struggle with some lack of structure, clear job descriptions, pretty normal things for a startup. Right now I know that has been fixed and taken to a whole new level. For me that gave me only opportunities to take more on and learn about more stuff! But if you are the normal "cubicle" type of guy that wants a boss to micromanage you, then this might not be your place... go work for IBM or something.

5. Mindvalley Mobile

Current Employee - Mindvalley Mobile in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Mindvalley Mobile in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, the people around you, the culture, the vision are bound to amaze and energize you each day.Have been here just a few months and loving the positivity and the energy Mindvalley offers. Personally a huge fan of talent you get to meet and work with. If one were to notice the trend, mindvalley helps nurture the entrepreneurial spark in each employee and gives life to a new company, new idea almost every month.

Cons

Ideas are dime a dozen, its easy to feel completely lost. One must carry a mindset of a student and be prepared to learn the metrics and different caveats a role here has to offer.

6. Great company, You will learn like never before

Former Employee - Creative in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Creative in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly incredible office.
    Tons of open events in office via groups Mindvalley sponsors like Webcamp and Incitement.
    They do amazing work in the KL community and as a fresh starting entrepreneur, the free trainings etc they provide are very useful.
    Tons of friendly, beautiful ppl who are invested in their personal growth.
    You will learn a LOT

Grows fast. I left to start my own freelance some months back - but am still involved in the Mindvalley community. Visited recently and the growth has been amazing - especially with their venture into Mobile apps and their new office spaces. Great auditorium though I question the cost.

People are very smart and the company while looking like a Disneyland from the outside is actually very well run and organized compared to the majority of startups I've encountered. For example - everything is logged in a wiki with 3000+ pages. But still - startup feel. Some chaos is there.

The entrpreneurial training and vibe here is very strong and this is the best thing you get out of it. Many employees become entrepreneurs or freelancers after 2 - 3 years and the company invests in them or hires them as freelancers. I continue doing some freelance work for MIndvalley since leaving.

Cons

Noisy workplace - hard to focus sometimes. But I dont want to suggest cubicles either.
    Mindvalley does not give preference to existing employees when a new position opens up. So you can be in customer support for 2 years and then you learn a new position is open but when you interview for it you are competing with outside resumes too. I think more marks should be given to employees who have served several years. I know a friend who left because she coudl not qualify for an internal job despite serving the company 2 years.

Advice to Management

Good job so far.

Anonymous reviews suck. Mindvalley doesn't.

Current Employee - Chief Designer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Chief Designer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mindvalley is a great workplace for responsible, skilled, and driven professionals. People with families will value the flex time and comprehensive health coverage. People who've worked before in agencies, or other typical corporate environments will appreciate the audacious goal to change the world, and be part of a diverse, multi-national team who might actually pull it off in this lifetime. Young people with big ideas to revolutionise education, or elevate human culture, will appreciate the opportunity to prove themselves here without gender or age discrimination.

Cons

Growing pains. Our processes and organisation structure haven't been geared and tested rapidly enough to support our phenomenal growth, and this has resulted in various issues such as our tanking Glassdoor scores. But these are all being fixed quickly by a very agile and progressive company culture.

Advice to Management

Stay calm and focus on the company mission and greater goal. Don't let a few transient issues distract us from why we're here for the long haul. :)

A rare opportunity to be immersed in a dynamic and challenging environment, personally and professionally.

Current Employee - Web Developer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mindvalley has the most open and democratic cultured that I have come across.

If you have the passion and the will to contribute to the success of this company, nothing will stop you from excelling in this company.

There isn't much bureaucracy involved in processes in the company - a lot less than you would expect in a company of 100 employees. I think a lot of it is credited to the effort from the leadership team (CEO included) during "face times" with each and every team in the company. I think it is very commendable that leaders try their best to make sure everybody's ideas are heard.

Respect and recognitions are earned, not given.

People are very straight forward here. So, do expect to be shot down in front of others if you didn't do enough homework. This is not a place for people who expect to be spoon fed, nor for the faint hearted. And I admire the professionalism of lots of colleagues I've worked with.

Cons

You need to be "daring".

Dare to voice out, dare to take on criticisms and dare to put your professionalism on the line for things that you think is right. Else your voice/ideas might be drowned in the intensity and pace of operation.

Also, due to this reason, people who are out-spoken are the ones being noticed the most by leadership. The company tries to avoid favouritism but sometimes it just can't be avoided.

The CEO sometimes vitos upon ideas and plans upon strategic shifts.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it's hard to hear negativity from the employees. Yet sometimes there are valid reasons for people to complain. Sometimes.

Most of the time people just don't understand at the bottom of everything it's business. And the hardest job is for you to make sure that it is not just ...

Simply the best with global opportunities & great work culture.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MV has an amazing collaborative culture with CEO & Team. They have this FaceTime (FT), it allows every one within a team to meet the ceo, this to seek advice & share thoughts. Another unique thing is flexibility to work, working from home or travelling when it's needed as well as the culture makes this a great career launch.

Cons

Basic benefit is not that great, could have been better.

Advice to Management

time to get bigger :)

A ton of opportunity and learning - to top it all a great culture

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are willing to take the opportunity to grow, learn and prosper, Mindvalley is the place to be. I started as a junior in the company a couple of years ago, and eventually have had the opportunity to be a partner in the company.

Very open culture, any employee may ask questions anonymously. The CEO of the company answers every question publicly. Decisions are taken together as a team.

Fun and easy culture. You don't feel like you are going to work, but instead to an inspiring place where you will learn and enjoy. Diversity of cultures the company is celebrated by cultural days.

Cons

Sometimes the company is too fluid. So if you are looking at going through a set path, you are up for a surprise. The company allows you to make your own path and grow at your pace. It may be good for some, but not for all personality types.

Great place to learn, grow, meet great people and stay on your toes.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful workspace
    international employees,
    unlimited access to top products
    in personal development,
    fast paced,
    flexible schedule,
    room to grow and develop entrepreneurial skills and
    internet marketing knowledge.
    Humorous, culture-centered,
    travel encouraging, work from anywhere in the world (with wifi).

Cons

Cost of living and work load relative to salary.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees higher salaries. Don't spread yourselves (or your employees) too thin.