Mindvalley

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mindvalley Co-Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani

Vishen Lakhiani

Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world
- If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing
- Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not.
- The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning
- The space is simply beautiful!
- When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them)
- If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not).
- Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech)
- Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money!
- There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike.
- Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level.
- Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

Awesome culture, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time for more than a year

ProsThe awesome people, the colorful experiences, the trust from the management to get things done, the learning opportunities, what not to love? You will have the time of your life! :)

ConsSalary is average. Not that bad, but comparing apple to apple, top performer in the company can still expect hire pay outside.

Cannot imagine working anywhere else

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun, casual, lots of amazing ideas to learn from, amazing like-minded spiritual people and those seeking further personal growth (kinship), a company that dreams big and gives back which is very inspiring for personal and professional goals, trainings and education sharing between teams. Having worked in several companies before Mindvalley, I see a vast difference in how teams communicate, are run, and also interaction between employees. I feel I can truly express myself in this space, which makes me feel happy, and makes me do better work without dealing with tight protocols.

ConsThere are a lot of meetings that take place, which means you might have to squeeze time here and there to execute on your tasks, but I see this as an opportunity to learn more on a subject and also how the company is growing, which is a huge benefit and key learning on so many levels. So this can also be seen as a good thing based on mindset, but it's also thought me to be better organized and put several automated systems in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a great job, though I'd like to see them share management tips with each other so each can grow effectively.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A really beautiful and life changing experience

Content Creation Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time for more than a year

ProsI have worked with Mindvalley for 2 years and I can honestly say that these 2 years were some of the best years of my life. It's crazy how much knowledge I accumulated while being here and how much I have grown, not just professionally but also personally.

The company has great culture and if you are willing and open to embrace it, it will shape you in a really beautiful way.

You meet really amazing people from all over the world and even though you're far away from home, you do feel like you have a family here.

The number 1 I love about this company is the fact that Vishen, the CEO, makes himself available to all and that he treats everyone with so much admiration, love and respect.

After you pass probation, you can even schedule 1 hour lunch with him and ask him for guidance and mentorship not only for the work you do in Mindvalley but your own business as well. I have worked in other companies abroad and I can tell you that none of them had something like this.

It's so refreshing to see someone as successful as he is, be so accessible, so humble, so modest and who cares about his employees as much as he does. (he even knows everyone's names). You tell him about your goals, dreams and intentions and he gets super excited about your dreams as if they are his own... You don't really meet people like this too often. Plus, he's a super inspiring person and you learn tons from working with him and also from simply observing him do his thing :)

Mindvalley shifts your mindset and it makes you aware of how much you can actually achieve and how there are no limits to what you can achieve except those you impose on yourself.

Other cool things about Mindvalley...

Ask Vishen - once every few months you have Ask Vishen where you can address any question you might have, anonymously, and he will answer it in front of the whole company

Learn Day - every month, there is Learn Day and during this day the whole company spends time studying. No work, just study :)

Whenever you want, you can just take a break to dance, sing, laugh, cry, etc. Not a boring office with boring people, that's for sure.

The office is beautifully designed and the energy is very positive and pleasant.

Team Retreat - every year the whole company goes on retreat for 4 days to a 5star hotel and everything is covered by Mindvalley

A-Fest - you can volunteer and go to A-Fest where you can meet some really amazing and influential people from all over the world

No hierarchy system. I never really felt like Vishen was my boss but more like a teacher and mentor. He treats people with love and compassion and like i said, he's very humble and modest. Also, the guy has a great sense of humor which makes work a lot more fun.

If you're smart and you come up with cool and innovative ideas, you are given the freedom and opportunity to build your own department...

ConsI feel like the H.R. department needs improvement, salaries could be higher and managers could do some work on improving their soft skills :)

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on establishing a career framework to maximize your employee's potential

Mindvalley Mobile

Mindvalley Mobile (Current Employee)
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time for less than a year

ProsThe atmosphere, the people around you, the culture, the vision are bound to amaze and energize you each day.Have been here just a few months and loving the positivity and the energy Mindvalley offers. Personally a huge fan of talent you get to meet and work with. If one were to notice the trend, mindvalley helps nurture the entrepreneurial spark in each employee and gives life to a new company, new idea almost every month.

ConsIdeas are dime a dozen, its easy to feel completely lost. One must carry a mindset of a student and be prepared to learn the metrics and different caveats a role here has to offer.

Advice to Senior Management-

The biggest learning experience in my whole career

Chief Operating Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome Learning Environment. I was given a lot of responsabilities from the very first day. I got to work with amazing talented people from more than 20 different countries. There was a lot fun and hard work.

ConsI don't know how is it today but back in the day I saw some people struggle with some lack of structure, clear job descriptions, pretty normal things for a startup. Right now I know that has been fixed and taken to a whole new level. For me that gave me only opportunities to take more on and learn about more stuff! But if you are the normal "cubicle" type of guy that wants a boss to micromanage you, then this might not be your place... go work for IBM or something.

Great company, You will learn like never before

Creative (Former Employee)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTruly incredible office.
Tons of open events in office via groups Mindvalley sponsors like Webcamp and Incitement.
They do amazing work in the KL community and as a fresh starting entrepreneur, the free trainings etc they provide are very useful.
Tons of friendly, beautiful ppl who are invested in their personal growth.
You will learn a LOT

Grows fast. I left to start my own freelance some months back - but am still involved in the Mindvalley community. Visited recently and the growth has been amazing - especially with their venture into Mobile apps and their new office spaces. Great auditorium though I question the cost.

People are very smart and the company while looking like a Disneyland from the outside is actually very well run and organized compared to the majority of startups I've encountered. For example - everything is logged in a wiki with 3000+ pages. But still - startup feel. Some chaos is there.

The entrpreneurial training and vibe here is very strong and this is the best thing you get out of it. Many employees become entrepreneurs or freelancers after 2 - 3 years and the company invests in them or hires them as freelancers. I continue doing some freelance work for MIndvalley since leaving.

ConsNoisy workplace - hard to focus sometimes. But I dont want to suggest cubicles either.
Mindvalley does not give preference to existing employees when a new position opens up. So you can be in customer support for 2 years and then you learn a new position is open but when you interview for it you are competing with outside resumes too. I think more marks should be given to employees who have served several years. I know a friend who left because she coudl not qualify for an internal job despite serving the company 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood job so far.

A rare opportunity to be immersed in a dynamic and challenging environment, personally and professionally.

Web Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMindvalley has the most open and democratic cultured that I have come across.

If you have the passion and the will to contribute to the success of this company, nothing will stop you from excelling in this company.

There isn't much bureaucracy involved in processes in the company - a lot less than you would expect in a company of 100 employees. I think a lot of it is credited to the effort from the leadership team (CEO included) during "face times" with each and every team in the company. I think it is very commendable that leaders try their best to make sure everybody's ideas are heard.

Respect and recognitions are earned, not given.

People are very straight forward here. So, do expect to be shot down in front of others if you didn't do enough homework. This is not a place for people who expect to be spoon fed, nor for the faint hearted. And I admire the professionalism of lots of colleagues I've worked with.

ConsYou need to be "daring".

Dare to voice out, dare to take on criticisms and dare to put your professionalism on the line for things that you think is right. Else your voice/ideas might be drowned in the intensity and pace of operation.

Also, due to this reason, people who are out-spoken are the ones being noticed the most by leadership. The company tries to avoid favouritism but sometimes it just can't be avoided.

The CEO sometimes vitos upon ideas and plans upon strategic shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it's hard to hear negativity from the employees. Yet sometimes there are valid reasons for people to complain. Sometimes.

Most of the time people just don't understand at the bottom of everything it's business. And the hardest job is for you to make sure that it is not just ...

Inspiring

Pros* Energetic and inspiring co-workers
* Casual working environment
* Great office space
* Good balance of work and fun. We seem to have fun a lot but we also put in a lot of hard work.
* Great place for personal growth because everyone celebrates your personal and professional achievements.

ConsThe company is going through some growing pains as it expanded pretty quickly in the past year. Solid processes are only starting to properly take ground and new ones are being created. It is only natural to be experiencing this at this stage of growth however could be a challenging time for some employees.

Amazing, if you're someone who likes taking control of your own life

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time for more than a year

Pros- Incredibly flat and flexible structure
- Allows for a lot of learning (meaning you can learn as much as you want from all the resources available if you so choose) through events, the knowledge base of other teams, books ordered for free every quarter for employees etc.
- Open environment; anyone can come up to anyone and ask for advice etc. which fosters a fast paced, fun and also intimate environment to work in
- Epic Office design
- very agile operating principles. The company can shift really quickly when it needs to which makes it very adaptable to almost anything.
- International Working Environment: The company has over 40+ nationalities as part of its team, and they celebrate even nationality specific events to keep the culture alive.
- You can literally make your own career path in the company if you have the drive to do it. There's a lot of room for improvement and you can either look at it and whine, or fill in the white space to push the company and your career forward. it's literally UP TO YOU.

Cons- A LOT of growing pains; you'll see this in the infrastructure of overall management that needs a lot of work (already in progress)
- There are certain cases wherein some managers are not really managers, more like they've been there for so long and good at what they do on a specialist's perspective, but not necessarily geared towards managing people
- a fast turnover of employees and systems, if you're not into an environment where things shift all the time to match the latest trends in the world or people suddenly moving on to work on their own projects since they've learned enough, then don't apply
- lack of good knowledge management practices, but again, that's just part of growing pains
- a very chaotic and noisy work environment most of the time, not exactly very conducive for creative types who need to the quiet creative space to do crunch work or really heavy concentration work except for the late evenings (ends up getting people to work way longer than they have to at times).. You need to be REALLY GOOD at managing yourself and have a lot of balls to survive in this environment

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get distracted.. Keep your eyes on the goal, and be sure to let people do what they're good at and give them the space to do it.

Worked for Mindvalley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mindvalley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mindvalley CEO Vishen Lakhiani. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Mindvalley employees.