Mindvalley Reviews

Reset
4.4
Mindvalley Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani
Vishen Lakhiani

Pros
  • The team is mostly great - really, the people who work there are mostly cool, fun, easy-going and positive (in 2 reviews)

• MindValley has a great company culture, international team, lots of responsibilities, you learn a ton (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • We are growing really fast so growing pains happen as we outgrow our legacy systems and processes (in 4 reviews)

• Finally, as some people mentioned, he will bad-mouth you behind your back once you leave or if you are still there (in 3 reviews)

Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not. - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning - The space is simply beautiful! - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them) - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not). - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons

- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech) - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money! - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike. - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level. - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Management

There is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

Good for young adventurers, bad for senior level expats looking for a career

I worked at Mindvalley full-time

Pros

- Lots of room to grow within the company & lead completely new projects from the ground up - High quality tech team, designers, writers, and customer support team - Great local coworkers to work with and learn from. - Opportunity to shape your team & interact with anyone in the company. - Pretty good pay for Kuala Lumpur

Cons

- Entrepreneurship is not encouraged in practice. Vishen is extremely controlling of employees lives outside of the company and takes credit for passion projects employees do in their spare time to push Mindvalley Foundation - Massive growth in recent years had led to lower quality people being hired. The developers are great but often overwhelmed and called on weekends, vacations, etc. - There is little substance behind many of the projects you see listed on mindvalley.com -- (not necessarily a con) - Marketers and management are inexperienced, throw others under the bus when things go wrong. - Many former employees are alienated and badmouthed by Vishen. Talk with any former employee for the full rundown.

Advice to Management

Stop the fear tactics and brainwashing. Stop pushing your employees to write 5 star reviews on Glassdoor to balance out the barrage of bad ones early on. This forum is a place for people to voice their opinions. Opinions.

Mindvalley Response

Apr 15, 2015 – Publicist & Branding Manager

Thanks for your feedback! 1. Like any good company we prioritize employees who are dedicated to our projects and mission. While we do believe in entrepreneurship education, we don't encourage side ... More

Life changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

To name a few: move to Asia, learn everything you've ever wanted to know about yourself, make a huge contribution to the world as well as Malaysia, learn to rise to the challenge, meet truly extraordinary people and friends for life.

Cons

Many experiments going on all the time so it's difficult to cultivate a feeling of consistency and integrity. Teams dissolve and priorities change at the drop of a hat, which can bring frustration to specialist teams that have a long-term view in their work.

Advice to Management

Less managers, more leaders!

Mindvalley is a beautifully unique organisation.

I have been working at Mindvalley (Less than a year)

Pros

Mindvalley is a very unique company with the culture that is living and breathing in growth, learning, changing your perspective and becoming better every day. It's been an amazing experience so far! You get a chance to grow professionally, to build your own way to success and growth. All employees have an unlimited access to the online courses about personal growth - we have a million dollar library of online education which we use for free. The company truly lives its values, hires the most amazing team members from around the world, growing the business stronger every day. The most admiring is the CEO who works the hardest, has a bold vision and drives the company every single day.

Cons

As the company is growing, we need to build solid operations and other service teams. This should be the strategic priority along with growing theorems which bring revenue, build technology and others.

So far so great!

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Amazing culture and environment. Friendly colleagues always ready to help, caring people *Flat organisational structure: you're responsible for your own performance and development *Flexible working hours *Helping expats to get and settle the apartments comfortably *Dynamic and energetic work flow

Cons

Didn't notice any so far

Evaluation of the company

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(A) Amazing internal culture & Atmosphere I cannot dream of a better place to work and live in. All employees are selected based on their attitude, mindset and values - therefore, the internal atmosphere is wonderful, everyone is happy, friendly and cooperative. It really feels like being a part of a big family. Company bases its culture on 4 main factors: Happiness, Meaning, Significance & Abundance. And I can assure that all of the factors are met in Mindvalley. (B) Extraordinary Mission and Future Plans Company has an extraordinary mission and future plans. Everything we do as employees, we do for the higher goal - to revolutionize the global education system. And we really believe in it :)) (C) Strong Leadership Even though the company is based on a flat structure (there are no managers in Mindvalley), the senior leaders here a inspiring (you can learn a lot from them) and the same time - friendly, down-to-earth. (D) Flexibility of internal structure and procedures The internal structures and procedures here are extremely flexible - you can initiate your own project and change your job description, you can join other teams and take on different responsibilities freely. Lots of new products and business appear all the time so there are dozens of opportunities emerging from time to time :) (E) Huge personal growth opportunities All employees are continuously encouraged to learn and everyone has access to dozens of courses on personal and professional growth.

Cons

(A) Salaries are low if compared to North America / Western Europe If you come from a rich country with high salaries, you may find Mindvalley salaries low compared to what you had before. On the other hand, the salaries are enough to live a normal life in Malaysia where prices are comparably low. (B) Low retention rate Even though the company is really amazing and it's difficult to find something like that in the world, most of the people here are foreigners - they come to work here only for a few years. Therefore, there are not many very experienced professionals in their fields from whom you could learn.

Advice to Management

Think of how to keep your employees for a longer period so that there is a balance of youth and experienced professionals within the company.

8. One of the best companies to work in Malaysia

I have been working at Mindvalley

Pros

Beautiful office space, amazing company culture, flexible office hours, nice people

Cons

There's not so many career opportunities inside the company. Company structure is very flat (CEO & leadership team).

Expat software developer for two years

Former Employee - Software Programmer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Former Employee - Software Programmer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Work hard party hard - Truly friendly multinational environment. - Rapid growth in your field and any other interested area. - Transparency - Dynamic - Amazing leaders (If you don't believe me then just checkout some of Vishen's speeches on youtube) - A luxury work space in a beautiful country - Being located in Malaysia has it's own pros. Malaysia is a beautiful country and as an expat you are less likely to get board!

Cons

- Salaries are designed to be competitive to local markets. If you are an expat and planning to retire on savings from income then think again! - Being located in Malaysia has it's own cons. Expats can live up in the country only on renewable yearly working visa. As result expats may find a life time investment in the company risky.

10. Software Developer

I have been working at Mindvalley

Pros

Amazing work place, friendly people, flexible working hours

Cons

I can't think of any

Advice to Management

keep the awesome work up, you are amazing

Author Relations

Current Employee - Author Relations in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Author Relations in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Mindvalley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mindvalley offers me so many possibilities to expand and grow as a human. I learn and experiment several personal growth techniques with the best on the field. I connect with brilliant open-minded people everyday. I have crazy adventures with the people who I work with, here your colleagues will become your closest friends. I experience the fun of working and hanging out with 35 different nationalities and bonding with these people from all over the world. I get to do what I love in a format that suits me - this means that I can start my day with a peaceful breakfast, yoga and pool time before heading to the office or I can visit my hometown and spend time with my family for long periods while working from there or I can travel to Bali and work from there too. You are given freedom and trust. Mindvalley has a team dedicated to our career path and they make sure we are happy in our roles, Vishen is very supportive of happiness in the workplace and he will help you to find the most suitable role for your profile. At Mindvalley, we learn a lot about online marketing and how to lead a business with integrity, fun and love. One thing that I really love at Mindvalley is that you will be reminded and appreciated on a daily basis for your strengths, gifts and talents. Hugging will become your new constant reality.

Cons

I think of Mindvalley as a skinny fire young woman, always ready to run, change, do acrobatics in a fast crazy way that allows her to be always on top of the latest trends and market innovations. Internally this can turn out to be a bit chaotic sometimes as you have to adapt quickly to changes in daily operations and organizational structure.

RSS Feed </> Embed