Mindvalley

www.mindvalley.com

Mindvalley Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014
Mindvalley – Kuala Lumpur – “Whole team during A report”

Mindvalley Co-Founder & CEO Vishen Lakhiani

Vishen Lakhiani

Great place to work, but it is not for everybody!

Pros- You will meet some of the most amazing and smart people in the world
    - If you are a marketer, love marketing or just want to learn about marketing this will be better than Disneyland for you, we can say it is Harvard for marketing
    - Work/life balance can be achieved if you are strict with your hours and work, the opportunity is there, it is your choice if you make it or not.
    - The culture is pretty amazing, great balance of work, fun and learning
    - The space is simply beautiful!
    - When it comes to marketing you will not have too much freedom as the CEO controls in a very detailed way what happens in this area, so your creative train may be halted very quickly or it may take a while before you are allowed to try and experiment (not judging this as good or bad thing, marketing is the core of the business, plus it is what he loves, so I understand why he is so invested in it), in any other area you could have a lot of freedom to innovate and push your ideas forward (if they are good and you know how to present them)
    - If you are into personal development this is a freaking perfect place for you to work (and also if you are not).
    - Despite the fact that this is a 10 year old company there are so many things to do an improve, so there is a space for everyone.

Cons- If you are not into marketing your chances of growing and learning are not THAT amazing (probably with the exception of tech)
    - Salary is horrible, specially for a company that earns in US dollars, that is growing so much and that has so many expats. I believe this is also why so many people decide to leave after 1 or 2 years... you learn you gotta learn and then you go ahead and try on your own or move to places where you can actually make money!
    - There is not a structured career path, you come in and have to figure out everything by yourself in a way, a couple of people might help you understand how things work in the company but do not expect an organised, straight forward structure and path, this can be good or bad, depends on you and you like or dislike.
    - Be prepared to endure endless hours of propaganda by the CEO and senior management about how MV is the best place in the world and how our products service are the best and how they will change the world and blah, blah, blah... Motivation and inspiration are important but here they take it to an unrealistic and tiresome level.
    - Methodologies and processes change a lot! and very often, they never stick to ANYTHING for more than a month, this is quite frustrating ( i know that management will not own to this and they will try to justify it somehow) but in a company of this size and with the amount of people you need more than 4 weeks to try a new process of doing ANYTHING.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is always 2 sides to every story, so stop assuming that your side is the only one that exists... and silence is a powerful way of talking...

Damn fast pace - be ready to keep up

Business Development (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsScale of operation is impressive. Everything you do has big impact. Working with some top partners in the industry. Really cool co workers. Love the management team and the way they are growing.

ConsPeople get very emotional over projects. Many people hired here are strait from school, so they need to learn how the work world works. We are growing really fast so growing pains happen as we outgrow our legacy systems and processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spread our focus too thin. We need to keep focused on what we do great, and scale that!

100% Agree with a Previous Reviewer so I'm reposting most of it

Project Manager (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsPros – Compared to any corporation this is still a pretty good company to work for (though not when you compare to what they promise).

1. You get some flexible time (less than in the past though). There's no fixed time really, you just have to be in the office whenever you obliged to and attend important meetings. Some time the meeting last hours if the CEO feels like ranting about his vision which keeps changing.

2. The team is mostly great - really, the people who work there are mostly cool, fun, easy-going and positive. I could count the people I didn't like on the fingers on one hand. As long as you don't get to work with Vishen you will be doing very well (more on that below).

3. The office spaces are cool, colorful, modern - some of the nicest offices to work in. Nice, colorful, pleasant design.

4. Located in Malaysia - great hub for traveling for all expats. Great weather throughout the year, beautiful islands in the region - Perhentian, Tioman, Langkawi etc. An ideal place to work if you're in your 20/30s.

5. Flexibility to learn what you want and choose to move between positions in the company. It wouldn't be a problem to grow and change positions if you demonstrated some results. It has now changed for the worse, but it still isn't bad.

ConsI really want to smh because I read these Con's from the reviewer but chose to ignore it and worked there anyway.

So you're reading this and thinking - "it looks so great, so what's the problem?" And then you realize that most of the employees leave within 1-2 years MAX. Nearly all people employed for longer have already left the company. Super high turn around. You will see all of this if you ignore these cons and work there. However, this may not apply for people applying to Mobile, Tech, and Design because the leaders of those groups are amazing. Most of this stems from the CEO and a few other non-tech leaders.

1. Incompetence and indecisiveness at the helm. The company was doing way better with a dual leadership of two founders - Vishen and Mike. Now Vishen has taken over Mike's shares and the company has no logical direction. Vishen has the tendency to change his mind 10 times a week and set new, "strategic" goals for the company every single month. You don't really know where all of this is heading.This company boasts to have a great culture and flexibility but it has now eroded quite badly. Time is littered with useless meetings, which are only wasting time. Job doesn't get done.

2. Illusion of freedom. Sure, flexi-time might sound hip and cool, but what it results in is that people live in the illusion of freedom and feel they need to give something back to the company. That results in massive overtime which usually goes unpaid. (Before, Vishen encouraged people to become entrepreneurs, but that is no more... he is under the impression that he owns you and if you do any work remotely similar... even if it's volunteer work... he will claim it is Mindvalley's property). At one meeting, he even said that there is no chance for anyone to gain success on their own and that Mindvalley is their only shot of success...except for extreme cases of two former employees.)

3. Forced positive reviews: This happens all the time for apps and anything with Mindvalley's name on it. I witnessed bribery to review apps on iTunes and to complete surveys for awards like WorldBlu. This may also be the case for Glassdoor. I guarantee many of these positive reviews were requested by management. Hence they are all made around the same time... when the request was made!

3. Vishen Lakhiani - current boss of the company has probably been the reason of 90% of resignations in the last 3 years. He is disrespectful of people who are not "all over him", he is a micromanager, who disrupts everybody's workflow, by not following any plans and making a ton of changes "ad hoc".
    Finally, as some people mentioned, he will bad-mouth you behind your back once you leave or if you are still there!! I've seen this happen all the time!! He spread so many lies about people who quit (and are still there), it's unbelievable. If you don't have to work directly under Vishen, and working for the tech or customer service teams, then you may just have a better experience there if you ignore when Vishen says demotivating things during his rants.

Advice to Senior ManagementVishen, it would be great if you could be a nicer person and engage with your employees naturally besides just throwing parties (which is cool but you tend to act awkward then too). There have been so many times where you just walk past employees without saying hi or even a smile to acknowledge their existence. When you are on stage you try to act like you are this cool person, but you don't realize that you inauthenticity is clear when you say certain things. You do need to change your style and stop bad-mouthing people behind your back and sometimes to their face! You have no idea what your current employees say about you in private and share with your network. If you don't have respect for other people, then people will have no respect for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crappy Management and CEO

Email Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsJust the environment but i guess if i hired a interior designer , they would have done a similar job.

ConsCEO is micromanaging everyone's which is definitely not cool and it disrupts the work flow. CEO brags about all the great stuff but basically without the staff working under him, he wouldn't have got anywhere.I really hope he starts looking at himself and also appreciate the staffs around him rather than being so bossy.
    What you really hear him say definitely its on the cover but once you start working then you will feel how bad it was.

The office cutler is great because people joining mind valley is awesome.

Nothing much of a training is offered as we have to look out under our own expense.

There is no such thing as compensating for the expenditure you make for the office.The pay is already very low, what else.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease sit down with vishen and advice to stop screwing around.

An objective review is solemn and balanced in both pros and cons, take note :)

ProsSuper flexible dress culture (no suit and tie), colorful office with highly interactive amenities, party culture within reach (the majority of employees are international, young, and just plain attractive) accommodation is arranged by the company and is 5 minutes walking from work (a genuine treasure in KL), flexible time (genuinely, it only works for entry level positions), out-of-office work (previous limitation too) ease of internal re-locations within other teams, easy-to-shuffle holiday dates (you can work a Saturday if you want to and have it added as a holiday). The company uses many useful tools and cool techie instruments (internal programs and apps) that will turn you into a swiss knife of resources once you move on, this is actually pretty cool. Truly an amazing place if hardcore cutting-edge online marketing and/or design knowledge is pursued. Living in Malaysia makes travelling to all of southeast Asia very easy and cheap, which comes as a blissful treat for travelling.

ConsFor non-entry level positions, the apparent flexible time becomes a seamless back-to-back working experience with no regulative boundaries in work-life balance that frequently tilts towards the working-extra side as opposed to I-can-work-whenever-I-want. As other reviews mention, there is a lack of structure that permeates the culture; work wise, such a lack of optimized processes often causes redundant meetings or unnecessary conflicts between teams that progressively create tension, but when it comes to employee procedures it becomes a bureaucratic uphill struggle to solve issues or to enjoy QUITE a few perks. Most moderately important decisions are still fully under the scrutiny of one individual, so expect to have your decisions revoked even if they are completely within your scope of empowerment: a barrage of mumbo jumbo will be unleashed upon you to dumbfound you and sort of make you think that it's actually not too bad, moving on with the natural flow of life, as you quiet down your rebellious and misbehaved over-questioning mind with the soothing thoughts of your trip to Bali next month.

Advice to Senior ManagementA perspective of hacking can only take you so far before it turns into a fragile patchy culture.

Great place to work! Very fun, young and international team!

Project Manager (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsMindValley has a great company culture, international team, lots of responsibilities, you learn a ton. It is very young and collaborative place. Your colleagues become very soon your friends.

ConsMindvalley is missing some company structure. Sometimes you are missing clear expectations from the management on your role or key deliverables.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne advice would be to hire more local people to avoid to much turnover and ensure proper knowledge transfer.

Awesome culture, a lot of opportunity to learn and grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe awesome people, the colorful experiences, the trust from the management to get things done, the learning opportunities, what not to love? You will have the time of your life! :)

ConsSalary is average. Not that bad, but comparing apple to apple, top performer in the company can still expect hire pay outside.

A really beautiful and life changing experience

Content Creation Manager (Former Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsI have worked with Mindvalley for 2 years and I can honestly say that these 2 years were some of the best years of my life. It's crazy how much knowledge I accumulated while being here and how much I have grown, not just professionally but also personally.

The company has great culture and if you are willing and open to embrace it, it will shape you in a really beautiful way.

You meet really amazing people from all over the world and even though you're far away from home, you do feel like you have a family here.

The number 1 I love about this company is the fact that Vishen, the CEO, makes himself available to all and that he treats everyone with so much admiration, love and respect.

After you pass probation, you can even schedule 1 hour lunch with him and ask him for guidance and mentorship not only for the work you do in Mindvalley but your own business as well. I have worked in other companies abroad and I can tell you that none of them had something like this.

It's so refreshing to see someone as successful as he is, be so accessible, so humble, so modest and who cares about his employees as much as he does. (he even knows everyone's names). You tell him about your goals, dreams and intentions and he gets super excited about your dreams as if they are his own... You don't really meet people like this too often. Plus, he's a super inspiring person and you learn tons from working with him and also from simply observing him do his thing :)

Mindvalley shifts your mindset and it makes you aware of how much you can actually achieve and how there are no limits to what you can achieve except those you impose on yourself.

Other cool things about Mindvalley...

Ask Vishen - once every few months you have Ask Vishen where you can address any question you might have, anonymously, and he will answer it in front of the whole company

Learn Day - every month, there is Learn Day and during this day the whole company spends time studying. No work, just study :)

Whenever you want, you can just take a break to dance, sing, laugh, cry, etc. Not a boring office with boring people, that's for sure.

The office is beautifully designed and the energy is very positive and pleasant.

Team Retreat - every year the whole company goes on retreat for 4 days to a 5star hotel and everything is covered by Mindvalley

A-Fest - you can volunteer and go to A-Fest where you can meet some really amazing and influential people from all over the world

No hierarchy system. I never really felt like Vishen was my boss but more like a teacher and mentor. He treats people with love and compassion and like i said, he's very humble and modest. Also, the guy has a great sense of humor which makes work a lot more fun.

If you're smart and you come up with cool and innovative ideas, you are given the freedom and opportunity to build your own department...

ConsI feel like the H.R. department needs improvement, salaries could be higher and managers could do some work on improving their soft skills :)

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on establishing a career framework to maximize your employee's potential

Cannot imagine working anywhere else

Manager (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsFun, casual, lots of amazing ideas to learn from, amazing like-minded spiritual people and those seeking further personal growth (kinship), a company that dreams big and gives back which is very inspiring for personal and professional goals, trainings and education sharing between teams. Having worked in several companies before Mindvalley, I see a vast difference in how teams communicate, are run, and also interaction between employees. I feel I can truly express myself in this space, which makes me feel happy, and makes me do better work without dealing with tight protocols.

ConsThere are a lot of meetings that take place, which means you might have to squeeze time here and there to execute on your tasks, but I see this as an opportunity to learn more on a subject and also how the company is growing, which is a huge benefit and key learning on so many levels. So this can also be seen as a good thing based on mindset, but it's also thought me to be better organized and put several automated systems in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing a great job, though I'd like to see them share management tips with each other so each can grow effectively.

Mindvalley Mobile

Mindvalley Mobile (Current Employee) Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

ProsThe atmosphere, the people around you, the culture, the vision are bound to amaze and energize you each day.Have been here just a few months and loving the positivity and the energy Mindvalley offers. Personally a huge fan of talent you get to meet and work with. If one were to notice the trend, mindvalley helps nurture the entrepreneurial spark in each employee and gives life to a new company, new idea almost every month.

ConsIdeas are dime a dozen, its easy to feel completely lost. One must carry a mindset of a student and be prepared to learn the metrics and different caveats a role here has to offer.

Advice to Senior Management-

Worked for Mindvalley? Contribute to the Community!