Minerva Networks

Mauro Bonomi

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Growing & Focused

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsWorking for Minerva Networks is invigorating. It is focused on growing and moving into new waters. While it has been a smaller competitor they are still competitive and looking for new and bigger opportunities. I would describe the company as determined, driven, focused, and growing. There have been new faces added to the company which is bringing new ideas and experience while keeping the fundamental components brought forth by the junior and senior employees.

ConsSome challenges among Minerva would be the simplicity of communication. However, this proves to be a struggle everywhere and anywhere. Communication between associates and management can sometimes be lost, but there are a lot of people making an effort to reach out to others and keep lines of communication and leadership open and clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to insure the employees are kept up to date on the focus of the company with communication and promotion of collaborating with others. This is something I feel is currently happening, but should be kept up to help motivate others.

This is a good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsI’ve been an employee for 5+ years, and am very satisfied with my employment. I have been given many opportunities for growth and have not experienced any of the negativity that I have read about in other posts.
    It is fast paced environment that provides opportunities to anyone who thrives on being challenged to meet deadlines.
    Company benefits are good, including monthly employee recognition, company supplied coffee machine, sodas, Monday donuts/fruit, summer BBQs, bi-monthly breakfast meetings to keep us informed.
    It is an overall friendly atmosphere to work in.

ConsOccasional lack of communication between departments is an issue that can cause frustration for employees trying to complete tasks in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue providing growth opportunities for employees and the company.

Fast Paced and Challenging

Engineering (Former Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsThey have a great team culture, and pay is competitive, great place to learn about IPTV. My team was a pleasure to work with. Monday breakfast and Summer BBQs are a big hit in my opinion.

ConsFast paced and challenging, you can't work here unless you know your stuff. You can't hide like you can in a big corporation. Plan to work a full 8 hours everyday.

Advice to Senior ManagementA few more holidays on the calendar would be nice, maybe a personal holiday.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You get what you pay for

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsSome free foods.
    Decent and knowledgeable coworkers at the individual contributor level.
    Flush with cash - at least money and new sales never is a problem (surprisingly).
    Willing to sponsor H1-B visas (for some people).
    You can get promoted to positions you have no experience or expertise for, so you can grow.

ConsNo leadership or decision making at the executive level.
    No expertise or even background in software development on the Engineering Management level.
    Rude but cheap outsourced software development in Bulgaria and Italia.
    Spend some money and improve the office.
    Pay competitively.
    No good lunch places near by.
    Agile methodology as applied here is a joke.
    New deals are in obscure markets.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix your management problems - hire people who actually have a background in software product development to run your engineering department.
    Rethink your outsourcing strategy. Cheap isn't always better, and if your teams can't work together, cheap is even worse.
    Enable your product managers to do their jobs - you're hampering your own company with your current way of defining/not defining the product.
    Rethinking selling what you don't have have. This will catch up to you - and in the mean time, you put your employees in a tough spot communicating to the customer that what you sold them doesn't exist.

I have worked for consultants that are better than this company

Engineer (Former Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsEveryone in the QA team is helpful and pleasant to work with.
    Flexible work hours.
    Financially strong
    Good Sales team
    Free doughnuts on Mondays.

ConsMinerva Networks usually pays below average wages for engineers. Only senior staff get a decent compensation
    Poor upper level management.
    Cuts corners to maximize profit. Moving big projects over seas
    Poor development resulting from cutting costs
    Stingy Company. It is very difficult to get equipment needed in testing.
    Very rude and unprofessional Bulgarian Engineering team.
     Not a very positive work culture.
    Too many executives with no concentrated focus.
    A poor benefit package. Even the health insurance provided is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay employees more. Procuring instruments needed should be easier. At least try to improve. Filling out the exit interview with the questionnaire is pointless. Treat employees with respect.

Disorganized company that lacks focus - too many chiefs with different agendas.

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Alviso, CA

Pros- My coworkers are friendly but don't get the acknowledgement for their work.
    - Convenient location right off 237 if you live in Mountain View, Sunnyvale or Santa Clara.
    - Free sodas, ping pong table, summer BBQs.

Cons- Minerva is a disorganized company that lacks focus - too many chiefs with different agendas.
    - Collaboration and collegiality is nonexistent between teams and offices.
    - The company prefers to hire cheap engineers in Bulgaria and Italy.
    - IT does not adequately support systems and networks - causing frequent downtime and frustration.
    - Sterile cubicle farm - I wish Minerva would make the work environment more friendly and inviting.
    - Work hours are not flexible - the morning scrum meetings are just an excuse to get us in by 9am.
    - Nowhere to eat nearby unless you like eating mexican food every day.
    - Employee compensation is below average and benefit package is marginal.
    - Unsafe neighborhood with several evening and daytime break-ins.
    - No genuine effort being put into improving things.

Advice to Senior Management- Don't fire your only database administrator before hiring his replacement.
    - Hold yourself accountable for the lack of results and performance - don't blame the employees.

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsMost people working there are friendly.

ConsCompensatoin is less compared to other companies.

Disappointed

Employee (Current Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsSome good people to work with.

Free drinks.

There are some potentially interesting things to do.

I like working with TV.

ConsThe best mangers the company had left in January.

One executive with uncontrolled ego and power demotivates everyone in the company and is allowed to continue to run over everyone yet take credit for all their work.

Upper management no willing to admit poor manager practices and fix them. We asked meet with CEO to discuss concerns and were told it's not needed. If it wasn't needed, we wouldn't have asked.

Strategy presentations are not at all motivating or particularly realistic.

Things are now too disorganized and distributed. No one has a clear picture of what is going on and what should be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some credit to your employees that they are not so stupid to believe some of the overly optimistic speeches you're giving. Tell us straight out the challenges and motivate us to meet them.

Stop micromanaging with daily meetings. Or learn Scrum/Agile/XP and follow it.

The Board of Directors should really take a hard look at management - especially when you lose both your Director and VP of Engineering in one month. Interview WHY others have left, such as your previous product managers and others in leadership positions so you can fix the root of the problem in the company.

Help QA improve our skills and tools. We want to do better jobs!

Working with the team was good, but the environment was pathetic elsewhere

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsPeople work independently, with all the help needed always provided.
    Good for beginners to gain some experience.
    Everyone is helpful and good in nature making it a better place to work for.
    Benefits are good for a permanent employee.
    Easily sponsor your visas

ConsPathetic compensations.
    Higher officials eat all the profit and exploit the new hires and the interns.
    Employee satisfaction is never considered.
    Management team sucks big time.
    Learning curve is minimal, after a while you feel u are stuck with the company.
    If someone leaves the company the rest of the team gets a pay rise. So try forcing some1 to get a better job and quit the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the market and pay your employees accordingly.
    Respect each and every individual.
    Stop playing dirty politics.
    Think about the company and its growth not about why to do this and that.
    Dont consider all engineers as different.
    Pay everyone equally.

Like the job. Like the people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Alviso, CA

ProsI like my job and the people I work with. Interesting technology and cool projects. Good company culture. Convenient location. Good pay and benefits. Free pastries every Monday. Free sodas every day. What else can you ask for?

ConsIf you're looking for a big company with unlimited resources, then Minerva isn't the place for you. Long work hours. But well worth it -- I hope.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should engage more often with the employees. The "Suggestion Box" at the company lunches is a nice touch. But I know you can do better.

Worked for Minerva Networks? Contribute to the Community!