Mini-Circuits Reviews

Harvey Kaylie

1. they have strong work and customer ethics

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

stable work environment, requires you take responsibility for any action and commission and improve

Cons

low moral, rigid and complex decision making process No organizational culture

Advice to Management

Create bottom-up decision making channels

Miserable Work Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I cannot think of too many pros for working for such a company.

Cons

I worked at this company for five years. This place is soul crushing, where you are left to feel miserable and incredibly depressed by the end of your working day. This place gives laughable raises at 5 cents (Yes, that's right, 5 cents), per year. Last I checked, we are in the 21st century, and 5 cents is not going to do anything for anyone in this day and age. The company typically hires foreigners and immigrants because it is a perfect opportunity for the company to keep wages low and workers weak. Immigrants and foreigners do not have much say about their salary, since their opportunity is limited due to language and limited connections and experience in this country. The company prefers weak employees who are not capable of complaining or protesting their tiny salary, horrible schedule, or abusive work environment.

Advice to Management

Hire better management who has the education, personality, and experience to make the company successful. With management who are incapable of providing guidance and support to the staff, the company only becomes less successful, as employees are not properly motivated to work at their best.

Account Manager

I worked at Mini-Circuits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice beginner salary for Account Manager position.

Cons

Extremely rigid, almost a Nazi environment to work in. Management berates you in front of your colleagues. If you are a masochist, or enjoy being emasculated, then definitely apply for a job here.

Modern day sweatshop

I have been working at Mini-Circuits full-time

Pros

Your coworkers. That is it.

Experience that you are so lavishly provided.

Cons

Sweatshop conditions. They don't care about you. Will run, milk and squeeze everything out of you for a pretty penny. No seriously, they pay in pennies. If lucky, you might get a dollar for a raise after slaving for 10+ something years. Management is cheap.

Every top paying positions have been on a much better health plan than their regular employees. Not one top executive is covered with the health plan offered by the company. Why do you offer insurances you yourself don't cover with? They don't care about their employees.

No company culture. It's a jail place environment. There is no "team" in this place. People don't take responsibility for their subordinates and will blame you for everything. Management is in name only. Few managers actually care much less look out for you. Nobody cares about you.

Don't expect raises. They will give you a nickel, quarter or if you actually hit the jackpot a whole dang dollar! Whee!

No career growth. If you are desperate, and I mean desperate, then get your stability or experience and get out! Don't linger! It's not worth staying where you are not appreciated as a worker.

There is probably more but I am tired of writing.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your workers. You are lucky to have such amazing people still working even after your humiliating raises. Some, surprising, still wait two years after job reviews for their pennies.

Offer better health insurance that you yourself WILL use. Don't offer what no one can afford.

Allow for department growth in every direction. You inspire people to stay. If you close your eyes people who can be better in different places will leave.

If you cross train your employees. Compensate their acquired knowledge. You inspire people to stay that way by letting them know that they are invaluable. Cross training opens doors which you yourself close after putting the time in training. Person takes the knowledge to another company. Why stay for more work but price of labor unchanged? This is sick and disrespectful.

Do not abuse your immigrant employees or those without visas.

All top executive individuals should learn "quality policy" on human relationship with subordinate workers. Don't treat anyone like they own you the world.

Take risk and improve

I have been working at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have a BA degree with no experience, then this is a good place to land on.
    You will learn many aspect of the company, either business negotiation, team work, and diversity.

Cons

NO CAREER GROWTH!! MANAGEMENT WILL NOT TAKE YOUR SUGGESTION TO HIGHER LEVEL TO IMPROVE DAILY ROUTINE.
    Worst benefit in NYC, need to pay very high health plan, no raise.

Advice to Management

Got to cut out the old fashion culture.
    Take employee advice and help fight for change in the upper management.

Abusive management attitude

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mini-Circuits will give you a chance to gain experience in the US, which is important if all your experience has been in other countries, many employers (especially in NYC and its surroundings) will ignore experience gained out of the US.

The employees help each other out.

Cons

Mini-Circuits will find any reason to lower the work compensation that an employee might receive, in ways that would be unacceptable to most workers, and takes advantage of the fact that most of it's employees are immigrants or fresh out of college and either have no notion of working conditions in other companies or are stuck due to VISA conditions, or lack of experience in US companies (see Pros)

Advice to Management

It is time to refresh the attitude towards your employees (members), they are the greatest asset you have

Everyone has their reasons for staying-meet your needs, then leave

Former Employee - Account Manager in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The office was close to my college. End of story.

Cons

Everyone was so deadly afraid of the owner, that it lead to an environment of constant finger pointing. No one wanted to take responsibility for any project, for fear of humiliation and condemnation. Raises were given in nickle increments. This may sound like an exaggeration, but it is not. Those who got a quarter an hour raise were quite full of themselves. I can honestly say it was the longest 6 years of my life, but I stayed to finish up my degree. Not a happy place-not a place to call home. A coworker used to say "Abandon hope all ye who enter here."

Advice to Management

I'd love to offer advice, but after 6 years, I know none would be taken.

Stable job

I have been working at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mini-Circuits offers stable job opportunities. The environment is very friendly and multi-national. Mini-Circuits has very well established procedures system. When they hire they will train you and familiarize with procedures of your particular department. They also cross train you to know all the jobs that is done in you department and sometimes in other departments.

Cons

Very expensive medical plan and no or very little % of 401K match. Min-Circuits did not have company wide evaluation and salary review for several years. If you have good supervisor who is not afraid to make waves of be "difficult" then you will get some salary increase otherwise - nothing.

Advice to Management

Please do a better job on medical insurance plans. Also need to make training plan for the supervisors. Some of them are no good.

Salt, Pepper, Red Chili and Sugar!

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Mini-Circuits full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in MCL for 5 years from 2009-2014.

As the title suggests, I had the good, the bad, the worst and the best experiences in MCL. Here are my few cents to my 5 years work in MCL.

Following are the reasons why I stayed in the company:
    1) It was a stable company during the recession. (diversity of products and low cost of operations)
    2) Had lot of responsibilities to justify job security in an otherwise tough job-market.
    3) As a fresh graduate, I needed hands on experience in a design and manufacturing company, which I did.
    4) As an non-US person, I needed to work for an employer who was interested in sponsoring visa.
    5) As an innovator, I had a big play-ground in MCL to experiement my ideas.

Cons

Following are the reasons why I decided to switch from MCL to another company:
    1) The industry is out of recession. The weather is clear to go out and play some big games!
    2) MCL offered very poor benefits. If you are a family guy, MCL may not match your family values.
    3) Medical, 401k, salary reviews vacations, holidays are the worst in the industry. Theee worst you can imagine.
    4) All HR authorities (hiring, benefits, salary reviews etC) reside with the president. HR is just a book-keeper.
    5) MCL struggles to find a significant growth in the industry. Although MCL is stable, the growth is very little compared to other RF companies.
    6) MCL has the tools to enter the big markets, but it can never happen without a management team.
    7) There is one-man ownership. Whether it is a million dollars order or the toilet-paper order, it has to be approved by Mr HK.
    8) Poor location of office in terms of public transportation, restaurants and even security.

Following are a few things that are important to know:
    MCL is a small, single-owner company.
    MCL has a huge diversity of products, but most of the products are low volume.
    It is a great place to get hands on experience for RF Engineers.
    As an RF Engineer, MCL was a great experience to learn how RF industry works. MCL fills the gap between your book knowledge and real life.
    If you go to any company after MCL, you will feel settle comfortably. Actually people will admire the diverse responsibilities you had in MCL.
    MCL is a small company but has a high quality manufacturing processes.
    As a design engineer, you will get to deal with almost every department in the company and that will be the best learning experience for you.
    It is a paradise for international workers hoping to get settled in USA.
    The company loves immigrants talent and willingness to settle for less salary.
    A good company to work for, but not the one you should get married to!

Just a last piece of advice, "Know your cards in MCL!"
    The odds for a growing career in MCL are low. If you have to bet for MCL, dont bet for too big. Make sure you know when to fold back! Your time is your best asset!

SL

Advice to Management

Fix the boiler before it explodes.

not a place for long term career

I worked at Mini-Circuits part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

growing company and learn many things. Win a space in the market based on its special business model, can learn lots experience.

Cons

Family business, narrow minded, many times don't respect employee. Company's culture is named by management as yelling,