Minneapolis College of Art & Design

Minneapolis College of Art & Design Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Inspiring environment, high concentration of talented people, but limited support

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMCAD is a very special place filled with people with fascinating ideas and impressive skills in a variety of areas. The faculty and students are doing great things, but dig a little deeper and you find that most people on staff, from security guards to shop technicians to admin assistants, have thriving artistic practices outside of their day jobs.

ConsHR and upper administration are out of touch with the school's mission and the big picture. Very talented people choose to leave the college due to lack of support. There is an unhealthy hierarchy and lack of cooperation between upper administration, faculty, and staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe scarcity mindset coming from HR and upper management is seriously hurting morale and the student experience at MCAD.

Great co workers - bad management

ProsGreat people, awesome artists. Being able to have access to the cameras and other equipment is very nice.

ConsThe management is so so in some departments. Some discipline bad behavior and others encourage it. Office bullying seems to be a common thing.

adrift without a rudder

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosgenerous vacation/ sick package, 35 hour week
    stimulating visual environment

Conslack of leadership
    fearful micromanaging
    lack of promotion/salary increase
    lack of alignment to mission, values and vision
    lack of acknowledgement and recognition of staff and faculty
    lack of creative problem solving

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are many gifted, capable people willing and able to move the college forward but who have lost hope and heart under the micromanaging and lack of leadership.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good benefits - lacking support

ProsVery flexible schedules - 35 hour work week. Work with very creative and passionate staff, faculty, and students. Great community of people.

ConsVery low pay - many duties and not enough bodies. Poor HR. Very poor leadership.

Working with Minneapolis College of Art and Design's stellar students, staff, and faculty.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsOpportunity to teach sustainability course content to creative, dedicated design students. MCAD offers world renown, state-of-the-art Masters' degree and certificate programs.

ConsMust be willing to develop a strong career strategy and make use of MCAD's career advisor to create work and design career opportunities in an ailing economy.

Worked for Minneapolis College of Art & Design? Contribute to the Community!