Minneapolis Community & Technical College

Updated April 7, 2015
6 reviews filtered by
2.7
CEO

1. Great job to help a lot of people personally in their process of entering college.

Current Employee - Peer Mentor in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Peer Mentor in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn many different positions and work with other departments connect to yours.
    Work one on one with students on the phones and in person
    Hours are very flexible, you basically make your own hours.
    Really understanding of times when your sick or late as long as you call and email ahead
    Offer you the chance to make up hours

Cons

Not a lot of supervision, so a lot of people slack off and disappear, leave the work to others.
    No place for advancement in this position, have to move to a different area for advancement.

Advice to Management

Work on paying attention to your workers actions

2. I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College

Pros

State job. Location. Strong student population. Pockets of innovative, playful, collaborative people at most levels. Can build a cohort of excellence, but it will be challenged at all levels.

Cons

Zero staff development. Promotion opportunities based on compliance vs. skill and innovation. Risk adverse. Unwilling to plan, bad when forced to react.

Advice to Management

Take chances. Identify where is the acceptable pocket of risk. Minimize initiatives, avoid the cult of personality. Do not tolerate individual pockets of greatness that are not directly contributing to moving the college forward. Really think about your administrator class. Remove two.

3. This college is a place that has honed my skills as a vibrant, creative, and student centered instructor.

Current Employee - Adjunct Teacher in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Teacher in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Community & Technical College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at MCTC are the diverse student body, the location, and the flexibility.

Cons

As an adjunct instructor, I have sought the full time status to no avail. I have been there so long, that I wish that my part-time status might be transformed into a full time one.

A great place for a blue-collar worker.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time

Pros

Union respresentation. Excellent benefits when compared to non-State work.

Cons

Most of my co-workers were not able to "climb the ladder" without leaving the school, or State employment all together.

6. Proud of the work done but long term employment at MCTC or MNSCU results in below average compensation

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Proud to be working with the students that might not be college students at all if not for the efforts of the people at MCTC

Cons

Hard to work with a low student graduation/success ratio, low compensation via MN State oversight of wages.

Advice to Management

Increase efforts to keep quality employees who are simply dissatisfied with the below average compensation packages, increase efforts to remove disgruntled employees from the work force.

Big High School

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at Minneapolis Community & Technical College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a very diverse culture. The physical surroundings are pleasant

Cons

The president is more concerned about appearances than quality of education. The nursing program needs much improvement. Administration has adversarial relationship with faculty.

Advice to Management

Listen to the faculty. Make an effort to understand their point of view.