Minneapolis Schools Reviews

Bernadeia Johnson

1. Good and not so good

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Tampa, FL

I worked at Minneapolis Schools (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salaries. Pays for extra inservice in summer. There are many great teachers here. Loved it here until things changed. Loved working with students.

Cons

Very political. Brings in new management from out of district to clean out staff.

Advice to Management

Do your own house cleaning. Treat all staff as appreciated individuals. You catch more bees with honey.

2. Social worker

Current Employee - School Social Worker in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - School Social Worker in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, good pay and benefits.

Cons

Very challenging work, that can be physically and emotionally draining ( but the kids are worth it ).

Advice to Management

Principals need to articulate how great the staff is and be specific about their accomplishments!

3. always hiriring

Former Employee - Special Ed Assistant for Resource Intervention Support in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive environment, Friendly staff , room for advancement. Professional training opportunities throughout the year. Felt like a family, kids were great and wanted to learn.

Cons

Administration not being transparent with what is going on at individual school sites. Large employee turnover. Not much structure or follow through with behavior issues.

Advice to Management

BETTER COMMUNICATION

Special Educational Assistant

Current Employee - Special Education Assistant in Spring Lake Park, MN
    Current Employee - Special Education Assistant in Spring Lake Park, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools (More than a year)

Pros

-The kids students and families are great! -The benefits are OK -There are a variety of schools and locations to work. -Very diverse student population.

Cons

-No tuition assistance program for college. I think the local fast food and package delivery company puts us to shame. I would like my children's teachers to have access to higher education- makes sense to me. -Staff development is just ridiculous and irrelevant to our job. -Way too many staff being paid to do nothing. -Work is primarily school year only, so you get to spend the summer trying to temp. No one wants to train and hire someone that's going to leave them in two months. -Disturbed supervisors are moved around rather than hounded out of the district.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bloat, force the bad people out, invest in the people you have, get a more diverse staff and find a servant leader that does more than hide at the main offices.

6. A Problematic Inner City District With Untenable Problems

Current Employee - Teacher In All Subject Areas in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Teacher In All Subject Areas in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is commensurate with other districts.

Cons

I last worked at Minneapolis Schools in 2011, however, I have friends who still teach in the district and, unfortunately, nothing has changed for the better. In several weeks (in August 2015), they will have an orientation for their annual hiring for substitute teachers. This time every year they hire hundreds of new subs every year and that is because the students and the school personnel are so abusive toward subs that there is massive attrition during the academic year. They also must pay the highest salary range, not because they are generous, but because the subs are so abused they must offer this increased rate to entice unknowing teachers and newly graduated teachers. They promise fulltime, permanent employment to subs as a subterfuge to keep them in the reserve pool because there is such attrition during the year. This ruse of keeping teachers in the sub pool with a false promise of future tenured employment is corrupt at its worst and unconscionable at its best. I have worked in practically all the junior highs and high schools in the district and there is much dysfunction and politics at every site. Subs are notified of jobs by the AESOP system by phone, or by signing into the website. Subs are expected to be ready to arrive at a different site every day and be aware of the different rules for every site. You would think that the district would be thankful for this flexibility but they are not. The office personnel are not helpful and the regular staff usually will not talk or be collegial to the sub. During my tenure, I was assaulted by students on five separate occasions and the district did not show any sympathy—they are petty. The district has sub evaluation forms whereby the teacher for which one subs, or any of the site administrators can write up the sub for any alleged infraction and even comment that the sub does not know the subject matter. How can any teacher or administrator evaluate someone they have never met, assessed or heard? These adverse evaluations are place in the sub’s personnel record and cannot be removed, though the sub may write a reply. Substitutes must deal with EBD, special ed and autistic students who are mainstreamed and at times this can be very troublesome. I do not recommend employment as a reserve because of the abuse of the sub by the students, staff and administrators. HR will give subs the false hope of regular employment but subs rarely get hired. The longer the employee is a ssub/reserve, the more the person will be criticized with adverse evaluations. Some school sites are much less dysfunctional than others. I have taught at all the high school sites and the worst is North High. The students are disruptive, noisy (they will not stop talking) and the teachers are unhelpful. The district loses 1000 students every year and that is because the schools are not good places for their sons and daughters. They choose charter, private, out of district schools or home schooling. All of these are good alternatives to attending Minneapolis schools. Also, the administration is not supportive of beginning teachers and many are dropped before the end of their third year so they can pay cheaper wages for new hires.

Advice to Management

New assessments and methods are needed for sub/reserves

7. Best district I've ever worked at

Former Employee - Teacher in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Teacher in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Minneapolis Public Schools is the most hard working, loving educational environment in which I have ever had the please of working. They set clear expectations and provide the resources for them to be achieved. Very centralized decision making.

Cons

Like all districts, there are politics. Schools in this district have a very high percentage of students with lives they bring from outside the building to inside the building, eg. high mobility, low SES, etc.

Advice to Management

If you're not in love with your job, you might look for another job. The students in this district deserve the same passion from their leaders as the students bring every day. Please note: this advice only apply to a small minority of administration; it's the best advice I've got!

8. Minneapolis Schools

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools part-time

Pros

Working with high school students.

Cons

School district policies are challenging.

9. Stay FAR away!

Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Minneapolis Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are hard-working, passionate and team oriented. There are some great people who believe in true social justice for our students. Great pay.

Cons

Management is horrifying. Lay offs happen regularly and no one ever feels secure. I found it to be competitive, and people are defensive and simply, arrogant. There is little organization, and when a new superintendent comes in, all agendas change!

Advice to Management

When you are working for the betterment of a child's future, you need to have compassion for your employees. Stop treating employees like crap, follow rules, and don't keep other incompetent managers in roles they don't belong in.

10. Lots of opportunity for operational improvement

Current Employee - Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools (More than a year)

Pros

A place where you can make an impact and help the organization continue to improve with solid business processes that support the vision and mission.

Cons

Very political in nature with a tendency for the rules to change frequently.

Advice to Management

Make a decision and stay the course until students win.

11. Specialist

I have been working at Minneapolis Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Respectable pay and benefits, exciting work, good co-workers

Cons

Unstable leadership (and leadership turnover), promotions and hiring are very political, no consistent vision/plan. Very silo'd departments.

Advice to Management

Be consistent, be more upfront, and understand the impact of your decisions. Most leadership haven't spent time in schools, yet think they have a grip on the realities in our buildings.

RSS Feed </> Embed