Minneapolis Schools

Minneapolis Schools Superintendent Bernadeia Johnson

Bernadeia Johnson

Very positive

Teacher (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsProfessional teachers, dedicated to teaching students with best research-based methods

ConsPrograms are getting cut. Too much emphasis on national testing. No Child Left Behind is a failed law written by people who were not in touch with ways to measure true learning.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaperwork does not help teach students; it only fulfills state and federal requirements that necessitate hiring government workers to read the paperwork. Needless.

Disheartening....for a district that serves so many diverse students, many staff members at MPS seem to be racist.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe students, certain staff, and the Superintendent

ConsMany employees are stuck in the past....they have a mantra 'we have always done it this way' and are slow and resistant to change.

High Schools are where it's at!

Sea (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosweekends, holidays and summer off.

ConsSummer off! Gotta bid for work in summer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good overall; victim of academic push-down in early ed; testing/assess't negatively impacts time to teach students

Teacher (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMpls offers FT teaching contracts to ECE licensed teachers

ConsA long stretch of lean budget years have forced principals to eliminate support staff in early elementary classes (paras), while class sizes have increased to 25+ students

Software Developer

Software Developer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsBalanced work and personal life.

ConsThe health benefits for family is very expensive and increasing every year. The salary range is very low compared to other public or private sector. There is no bonus system. There is no appreciation or recognition to hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT jobs should be treated differently.In order to retain staff should consider bonus system and appreciate work.The pay should be at par with the market.

Principal

Principal (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsA lot of opportunity for growth in the organization

ConsStressful at times due to political pressures

Way too interested in avoiding litigation, not at all interested in helping students learn

Sea (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsAs an SEA, I get benefits. Personally this doesn't really apply since I'm younger than 26 and still under my parent's insurance, but most school districts in MN don't extend benefits to classroom support personnel. Also, I hear that compared to other school districts, we get paid pretty well. People I work with day to day (e.g. other staff and administration, not district personnel) are really nice and try to help you to the extent they can.

ConsDistrict personnel aren't very helpful or responsive. New employee orientation was great, but it was also held 2 months before my start date so I didn't remember everything when I started and the district never responded to my phone calls and responded to my emails only after several weeks. The school makes you work out of your job description (i.e. I used to work in IT so I solve a lot of IT issues, which I don't mind), except the district absolutely will not pay you for that extra work (which I care very much about)... so what you end up with is a whole bunch of employees only interested in helping themselves and not really building a culture. Their policies are ridiculous, especially their internet policy. All the wrong sites are blocked. I can't access sites I need for my class yet I could easily access inappropriate content at school. You can't install anything without the Building IT guy signing off on it. Both of those may seem menial but they make lessons a headache and a half to plan. There is a serious lack of professional development activities that I can actually use to better my students' learning in the classroom

Advice to Senior ManagementMy single biggest complaint is the lack of interest the district takes in its employees. For example, I have my teaching license in Social Studies and theres a student in one of my classes with severe Autism. I don't know how to handle that. What if he has an outburst and starts throwing things? I have no idea what to do. How do I present information so he understands? I have no idea. Are there trainings I can go to to tell me these things? yes. Will the district pay for them? no. Instead, my professional "development" days are dedicated to spending 8 hours getting my CPI card and learning how to fight off an attacking student without getting the district sued. All this time I'm thinking "excuse me? isn't the focus supposed to be on student learning?"

Interesting place to work.

H R Specialist (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsSalary ranges are hire than city, state and many county jobs.

ConsExtremely political and interesting work culture.

There is a lot of room for improvement

Human Resources (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

Prosdecent compensation and benefits for work performed.

Conswork environment is difficult; not supportive and negative at the main office head quarters

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your employees and hire people based on their abilities not who they know

Very Chaotic work environment.

Teacher (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsMinneapolis has some of the best teachers and pretty good tech infrastructure around.

ConsCurrently in a massive budget crunch with very mixed signals. Fighting the charter school trend and trying to maintain with aging schools, low AYP scores and all the negative chatter around No Child Left Behind.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember, our goal is to educate students, not kick them out when they fall behind.

Worked for Minneapolis Schools? Contribute to the Community!