Minnesota Department of Corrections

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Lino Lakes, MN
    Former Employee - Correctional Officer in Lino Lakes, MN

I worked at Minnesota Department of Corrections full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Indepth training, pays well, co workers can be very helpful

Cons

No control of schedule. Environment is not always the best

2. It's a prison...

I have been working at Minnesota Department of Corrections

Pros

Fun and challenging work place. Some solid co-workers like any job. Excellent vacation package due to union contract, using it is another story though...

Cons

Some senior disgruntled employees, can be very dismissal depending on who you work with. Negative culture towards new staff, revolving door of new faces.

Advice to Management

Promote those based of not only experience but ability to interact with staff and offenders. Seniority shouldn't determine leadership alone.

3. Unfair in the Mn Department of Corrections

Current Employee - Correction Officer II in Saint Cloud, MN
    Current Employee - Correction Officer II in Saint Cloud, MN

I have been working at Minnesota Department of Corrections

Pros

some of the benenfits, majority of good work collegues, & vacation.

Cons

ran by a union with no spine, staff get the shaft or unfair treatment from the state during new contracts when the inmates still get the same and/or we also have to coddle the inmates even more. Minnesota DOC is more of a place to hang your hat as a inmate, unlike other states, then we wonder why the recidism rate doesn't go down.

Advice to Management

Let's make our prison into a prison, not motel 6 or Radisson. If we were to put more fear into the inmate rather than coddle them, maybe they'd think twice about coming back!!!! We need people with a SPINE in their back to run these prisons like Sheriff Joe in Arizona. Stop all the politcal B/S and grow up. Mn. worries alot more about educating inmates than they do about our own children on the streets and they haven't even commited a crime yet. Inmates had their chance, when they get out of prison let them pursue their education on their own at their own expense. Also, don't force inmates to attend treatment, allow the one's that wanting to go, go. If their not interested, what good is it at their and taxpayers expense? Intstead of big meals, go with granola bars and they can buy their own food if the prisons isn't good enough, I've seen the left over food that gets shipped to a pig farm! Also, give these inmates some work ethics like CHAIN-GANGS, help cut costs to some of the cities like ditch digging, sweeping, public park care, etc. etc. Give all inmates a jumpsuit rather than multiple clothing outfits. And most of all, Get RID of MINCORR, the biggest rip-off to the DOC!!! Example: one office chair from office max $160.00 , from MINCORR to the DOC: $500.00 for the same chair???!!!!??!! What is wrong with this state and the DOC? There's more I could say, but will end with this.

5. Are you good with enforcing rules?

Current Employee - Correction Officer II
    Current Employee - Correction Officer II

I have been working at Minnesota Department of Corrections

Pros

Member of AFSCME Union. Vacation Interesting Co-workers Overtime

Cons

Management makes a lot of decisions at a higher level, but they often fail to realize what problems it causes for those who have to enforce it. Officers are treated more like offenders than offenders are treated.

Advice to Management

Ask us for our imput, really listen to us when we tell you, and consider what we have to say in the decision making process. Foster happy employees rather than negative thoughts and attitudes towards a select group of people who work their butts off making sure that every day is a good day, and that no citizens were hurt by criminals that escaped.

RSS Feed </> Embed