Minnesota Department of Corrections

Minnesota Department of Corrections Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Unfair in the Mn Department of Corrections

Correction Officer II (Current Employee)
    Saint Cloud, MN

Prossome of the benenfits, majority of good work collegues, & vacation.

Consran by a union with no spine, staff get the shaft or unfair treatment from the state during new contracts when the inmates still get the same and/or we also have to coddle the inmates even more. Minnesota DOC is more of a place to hang your hat as a inmate, unlike other states, then we wonder why the recidism rate doesn't go down.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet's make our prison into a prison, not motel 6 or Radisson. If we were to put more fear into the inmate rather than coddle them, maybe they'd think twice about coming back!!!! We need people with a SPINE in their back to run these prisons like Sheriff Joe in Arizona. Stop all the politcal B/S and grow up. Mn. worries alot more about educating inmates than they do about our own children on the streets and they haven't even commited a crime yet. Inmates had their chance, when they get out of prison let them pursue their education on their own at their own expense. Also, don't force inmates to attend treatment, allow the one's that wanting to go, go. If their not interested, what good is it at their and taxpayers expense? Intstead of big meals, go with granola bars and they can buy their own food if the prisons isn't good enough, I've seen the left over food that gets shipped to a pig farm! Also, give these inmates some work ethics like CHAIN-GANGS, help cut costs to some of the cities like ditch digging, sweeping, public park care, etc. etc. Give all inmates a jumpsuit rather than multiple clothing outfits. And most of all, Get RID of MINCORR, the biggest rip-off to the DOC!!! Example: one office chair from office max $160.00 , from MINCORR to the DOC: $500.00 for the same chair???!!!!??!! What is wrong with this state and the DOC? There's more I could say, but will end with this.

Are you good with enforcing rules?

Correction Officer II (Current Employee)

ProsMember of AFSCME Union.
    Vacation
    Interesting Co-workers
    Overtime

ConsManagement makes a lot of decisions at a higher level, but they often fail to realize what problems it causes for those who have to enforce it.
    Officers are treated more like offenders than offenders are treated.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk us for our imput, really listen to us when we tell you, and consider what we have to say in the decision making process. Foster happy employees rather than negative thoughts and attitudes towards a select group of people who work their butts off making sure that every day is a good day, and that no citizens were hurt by criminals that escaped.

Worked for Minnesota Department of Corrections? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Minnesota Department of Corrections reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Minnesota Department of Corrections employees.