Minnesota National Guard

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mday Soldier

Enlisted (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsPeople, experience, benefits, travel, education.

ConsLoss of some control of your life.

Good Experience, Would recommend to others

ProsLots of state benefits enlisting with MN, specifically educational benefits. I also liked the fact that you could adjust what job you'd like to do within the state easily. Leadership was flexible if you wanted to change jobs in order to promote..

ConsMay have to travel far distances within the state. Also ensuring and understanding the rating structure at all times was sometimes difficult. Drill Days can sometimes last between 15-20 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure you are providing feedback for Junior Officers

The Military

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPayed for my college education.

ConsSome people not disciplined enough

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Staff

Senior Staff (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsUnlimited room for advancement, stay qualified in career field, medical requirements, educational requirements. Work is very satisfying and possesses personal satisfaction to serve one's nation.

ConsPolitics is alive & well within the selection process. Must be able to relocate to positions, navigate career path around full time employees vying for same positions, must network with senior leaders, they have the tendency to pull people up with them

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid "clicks" in selection of future leadership roles

Great people, cool work

Leadership (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsServing the people of the State and Nation is meanful work. The soldiers, airmen and civilians are great people.

ConsPolitics at the top. Little top cover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people. Develop others instead of looking out for yourself and your "legacy" all the time

Not bad

National Guard Reservist (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsMeet great people, some not so much but overall a worthwhile experience. Great college benefits, use it wisely. Joining at a young age is definitely an advantage, being that you can get in, get your bonus and college money, finish your degree, then get out.

ConsLot of morons in the military hate to say it but sometimes you feel like your captain is a thick headed retard. Stressful, tough to manage weekend drills in between a full time job or college while trying to have a social life as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay open minded to opinions and feedback, treat lower ranks as equal on a personal level. The military is a life career not a lifestyle.

No where else can you get this kind of experience.

Platoon Leader (Current Employee) Mankato, MN

ProsGreat way to get education paid for with no debt.
    Real world experience as a leader if you put in the effort to find the available positions.

ConsNeed to be able to implement great time management skills, the ability to prioritize, and the ability to push ones self to get promoted.

It has build a leader within me, and helped me increase my potential.

ProsThe benefits they provide are a perfect stepping stone for an individual who wants to better himself/herself in life.

ConsThere is a good possibility that you will be deployed for long periods of time, which can seriously hurt the family back home.

Worked for Minnesota National Guard? Contribute to the Community!