Minnesota State Universities System

www.mnscu.edu

Minnesota State Universities System Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

The work is challenging and satisfying knowing that you are helping students and the state of Minnesota.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsThe people that work at MnSCU are passionate about what they do and the mission of the organization. The work is challenging and inspiring given that it is a transformational time for higher education.

ConsWith the states diminishing support of public higher education we have seen layoffs and good employees moving on to positions in other sectors, this is sad.

MnSCU system office

OAS Principal (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsNew administration is innovative and forward thinking

ConsManagement is micro-managing everything! Creativity of staff is sometimes stiffled.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Secure and slow paced but if you're looking for decent money, look elsewhere.

Information Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsRather secure but not as bulletproof as many think.
    Good health and dental coverage.
    If you're willing to stay in the state system for life, you'll get a retirement package.

ConsDrastically lower wages than in the private sector.
    Wage freeze since 2009 is driving away any talented individuals. You're left with people who just want to coast through or are overworked.
    The state keeps cutting money given to these institutions meaning people keep getting laid off.
    Not hiring new employees, just passing the work along to the remaining employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for every last dollar from the State and try to compensate your employees better in some way.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An excellent place to work with challenging students and management that allows faculty to be creative.

Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Mankato, MN

ProsI summarized my reasons why I would recommend MSU, Mankato as a good place to work in the headline.

Conscan be a bit limiting in terms of ability to interact with other faculty in the system and opportunities to expand your professional network as the University is in a very rural area.

Very Rewarding

Writing Tutor (Former Employee) Saint Cloud, MN

ProsWorking as a tutor has helped me to better understand other cultures because of the students I have worked with. It is very rewarding to see students progress because you helped them. There is instant and long term gratification in this position. My bosses are all very nice and helpful. They are VERY understanding of employees personal needs. Very flexible scheduling, they work around your school and work schedule. management is very encouraging and are willing to help whenever they can.

ConsYou can only work as a tutor while you are a student. Some of the students are very dependent on the tutors and it can be hard to tell them no when you know they can do things on their own.

Stable system.

ProsStable as long as people need to get an education. Good benefits and a lot of different places to move to.

ConsChanges can come from up high and throw a wrench in everything. Layoffs and politics play a big role in who has what position. Unions cause people to do just enough to get by because they don't fear losing their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward performance as much as possible instead of seniority. With Unions, that can be very hard to do unfortunately.

Diversity is not everything

Assistant Professor (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a great place to work

ConsThe student body is changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop concentrating on making our student body more diverse and concentrate on getting us a better class of students. When you compromise admission standards, you compromise our reputation.

I am a part-time faculty instructor, selected from an adjunct pool to temporarily fill a permanent education problem.

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)

ProsFree to select course textbooks and free reign to design course curriculum.

ConsOn call, per semester, and only benefit is a partial thrift-savings plan match toward retirement. Forced to pay "fair share" Union dues.

good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosstate funding, and great services and job package. You can maintain your education up to Master or else. People are very friendly

Consbudget cut, and too many works for one person or two because of the budget cut. Everyone is getting very tied

Advice to Senior ManagementI know they are trying their best as much as they could. I am really thankful for their hard works

NA

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsGood Place to work at

ConsLike many places, top heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you enjoy working independently it is rewarding. Students are enjoyable. Other teachers are very smart and make for stimulating exchanges.

Worked for Minnesota State Universities System? Contribute to the Community!