Minnieland Reviews

Human Resource Generalist

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Minnieland full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work! Medium sized company that is family owned and operated. Owners are down to earth and hands on. Great promotional opportunities. The work is interesting and you can have the autonomy to make the job your own.

Cons

We run a tight ship. The HR department is always busy and usually never the same day twice. It is fast paced and there must be professionalism and a attention to detail even with the volume of work expected. I love a busy schedule so this is a pleasant work environment for me. It is always 5:30 and Friday!

I would like to consider us to consider creating some incentives that promote health, work life balance, employee engagement and excitement while increasing growth and profitability for the company.

How is this company still in business?!

I worked at Minnieland full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have many resources (construction paper, puzzles, markers, etc). It's nice to have uniformity and not have to decide what to wear that day because their dress code is khakis and blue polo shirt.

Cons

The way I applied to Minnieland was I saw their ad on Craigslist. That's how they find new employees. And they have to do this pretty much all the time because there is a ridiculously high turnover rate. I believe that how long employees choose to stay with a company is a reflection of the employees' satisfaction and treatment

I would like to say that the children are the best part of working at Minnieland, but unfortunately, I can't even say that. I had a boy in my class who was obviously special needs. He would hurt both his classmates and teachers. As a teacher, I did what I could to protect the other kids from getting blocks thrown at their faces, but management did nothing to resolve this issue despite me saying flat out I was at the end of my rope and didn't know how to handle it anymore because nothing I tried was working.

They are disorganized when you are applying and disorganized when you work there. The pay is arbitrary and they will pay you as little as possible (even if you are highly experienced and have excellent credentials).

Their philosophy on redirection goes to the extreme. I was pretty much told I could not say "No". This obviously doesn't work when it is used so extremely because the classrooms I have been in that have implemented this policy to a tee were run by the kids and were chaos.

The rooms are so tiny at some locations that teachers are tripping over chairs and children.

Make sure that you are returning emails and phone calls. $9.25 is not a fair wage for a lead teacher. Pay wages according to worth.

Minnieland is a nice place to work

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Minnieland full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of support, classroom supplies, training opportunities,long standing company, encourages work life balance, overall good reputation, child care discounts

Cons

Working in child care is stressful... but Minnieland makes it easier to take care of the children and support families.

Thank you I have never had such support and training while working in child care!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Teacher

I worked at Minnieland

Pros

Great place to work while going to school

Cons

No negative aspects that I saw while working

None

Worst company ever!

Current Employee - Director  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Minnieland full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working with the children and my staff. Paid holidays and vacations, if you've been there long enough. Discount for childcarw for ages 2 and older.

Cons

The corporate office only sees its "little people" as dollar signs (repeatedly said to me at corporate meetings). Once you need to take time off for any medical reason, you no longer have a job. They want staff to have college degrees but wants to pay them $8 an hour. The highest raise you can receive after that is 3% each year. The District Directors do not follow through with needed items for the school. I am a Director for Minnieland and the way that this business is run is all about money, NOT THE CHILDREN. My District Director actually told children to go away when they ran up to me to hug me on several occasions.

Be more empathetic to your staff and parents. It's not always about money, it's about teaching the children.

Hard work =, loyalty caring not an issue. You are a body to watch a class

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at Minnieland

Pros

If you love children then this is and was my biggest reward.

Cons

Only care about a body not professionalism, weak director where I was afraid of some parents and her job,
    Send you home as soon as able to hold cost down. Move children and teachers around like crazy despite them touting continuity of care. Allow parents to sometimes bully teachers making working there worrisome.
    Not enough equipment
    Purchases depend on how many kids you enroll, the more kids the more you get,
    Nobody cares is a good person goes, as I wrote you are a body that is all

Care about good employees, have exit interviews., Stand for employees when you know they are right. Do not bounce kids around to every class to save money

My experience was mostly negative as they are more concerned with making money & reducing risk than quality education.

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Minnieland full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you are in a management position, there are decent benefits, especially if you have children and need reduced childcare expenses.

Cons

Their pay scale is pretty low (which is typical for childcare), but it's especially bad because there is a very low glass ceiling and the average employee will top out after 3-5 years. This lowers loyalty and increases staff turnover.

Focus more on hiring quality teachers who would be willing to stay with your schools if you offered them a better chance to keep bettering themselves and getting better pay increases.

Good place to work. It is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Minnieland

Pros

As a lead teacher working for minnieland for the past four years i have had an overall great experience working here. I love how there is an in house professional development training crew here. They really make sure their employees are up to date with their required trainings. The management at my particular center is wonderful. I get what i need (most of the time) and I have freedom to teach as I see fit in my class. If i ask for help, i get it. They always have my back, company-wide. The families are wonderful as well. Minnieland is not a cookie cutter company so dont expect all centers to look or perform the same.

Cons

The downsides to working at Minnieland: its a for profit company. Bottom line...they need kids to make money, they need money to pay you. So dont expect to work from time A to time B everyday. If there are not alot of kids...you will go home. sometimes they do shift children to other classrooms in order to cut more people from their day. I dont think the nutritional menu is all that good. Ive seen better, but then again...its all about whats in the budget. Many substitutions without parents knowing. High turn over rate as well.

Pay your employees a little better and stop being so cheap on the food.

Worked for Minnieland? Contribute to the Community!