Minted Reviews

67 reviews filtered by
3.3
Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

Pros
  • I enjoy Minted's culture and admire the senior management team (in 5 reviews)

• Fun environment, nice location, friendly people, and snacks are always restocked (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero chance of full-time opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• As a temp Holiday season hire, your schedule is like Jury Duty (in 6 reviews)

An exciting time to be working at Minted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Numerous personal growth opportunities. Minted is still small enough that you can find ways to reinvent yourself
    * Strong engineering leadership, including several people that I call mentors
    * Large enough to have some best practices in place (always a WIP)
    * Interesting software engineering challenges
    * Transparent senior management
    * Strong company growth
    * Results oriented culture (i.e. no 9-5)
    * Newly remodeled office

Cons

* Work-life culture has historically been unbalanced, however that has drastically improved in the last few years
    * Office has a busy vibe, it can be difficult to find conference rooms for meetings and/or quiet places to focus.
    * Interviewing and recruiting process has room for improvement
    * Compensation might be lower than industry averages, which makes recruiting for specific roles more challenging

Advice to Management

* More diverse 401K investment options
    * Performance / peer review and goals setting process has room for improvement

2. Marketing Manager

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product mix. Hardworking employees.

Cons

The CEO is very involved in marketing approvals which causes A LOT of delays and turn.

3. Interesting Work with Unsteady Hours

Former Contractor - Seasonal Design Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Seasonal Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- came in during holiday seasons, jumped around between design associate, print quality, and wedding. training was provided for each, which is nice.
    - all the employees are very friendly
    - if you're ocd and love to edit photos, this is for you.
    - get to work on many orders a day which keeps it interesting

Cons

- crowded work space (until seasonal employees started to slowly disappear)
    - promises of full time employment, but only kept extending my contract slightly
    - schedule changes often
    - as holidays passed, there were less and less hours for seasonals (obviously). few friends were unfortunately never asked in again without any notice.

5. Design Associate

I worked at Minted

Pros

The work environment is friendly.

Cons

Very competitive. They hire hundreds of designers at the end of the year and very few are chosen to continue but they do not make that clear from the start.

The post office of design.

I worked at Minted part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They'll hire anyone during the busy season. Pay is Ok.

Cons

Disorganized. No training. Weird hierarchy.

7. focused, high energy, collaborative work environment

I have been working at Minted

Pros

everyone has a voice, collaborative, not overly hierarchical. employees are given opportunities to develop and make an impact. customer & artist focused. work environment is very creative and conducive to open communication. perks like free snacks, bagels, lunch & beer o'clock every week support a strong team culture. reasonable work hours & supportive of work/life balance

Cons

some tech infrastructure challenges - all to be expected with a fast growing team and being addressed. no 401k match

8. Contract Design Associate

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Minted as a contractor

Pros

Great people. Snack Pantry.

Cons

Production/Factory floor like feel. Didn't even receive a notice or letter saying that the contract had ended. No training. No clear expectations. Very disorganized. Very easy to get lost in the crowd. Expected to end contract at the end of January however work is very dependent on seasonal orders. Don't expect any regularity with being assigned shifts.

Not so startup still in startup mode

Current Contractor - Technical Support Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Contractor - Technical Support Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, flexibility in times

Cons

Value of IT still undervalued. Lack of architecture and planning. New personnel may help with that in the future

Advice to Management

A strong IT force acts as the "glue" to the other business units / departments. Running IT on the "cheap" could lead to business / scaling consequences in the future.

The People Running The Company Don't Care

Current Employee - Back-end Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Back-end Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted

Pros

Great experience working at a startup and start up culture
    You get to do a bit of everything
    The people on your team are nice
    The snack bar and office aesthetics are of a really high caliber

Cons

The CEO micromanages everything to the point where it impedes the work flow. Things move at a very slow pace pace. You can come up with a great idea for how to improve the website and everyone will agree it will actually be great but no one will ever implement it. Around the holidays the company is pure chaos. Everyone- even engineers are forced to pitch in with Customer Service and you are expected to work the day after Thanksgiving which means you don't get to see your own family for the holidays if you are from outside of California. The job gives no commuter benefits, pay is very very low for a company with such high sales and many people like me start out as contractors so no health insurance for the long time until I was hired on.The people running the company either don't care about the sacrifices we make or don't realize because they are out of touch and usually off traveling. The business model itself is so complicated and convoluted and yet we are making it more complicated and adding new things like the art business. This is a start up that has grown too big too fast. It is experiencing major growing pains and those pains come at employee's expense.

Advice to Management

Rethink the growth. Slow down until you can get a handle on the holidays and customer service and new products. Better communication and concrete timelines for change. The CEO needs to be in better touch with her employees and their struggles rather than the investors. Treating people like the are invisible doesn't motivate people and free snacks won't improve moral when you are struggling to pay rent and have no health insurance.

How much do you value happiness?

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Minted as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Hmm... It's a job? Kind of?
    You might meet s few cool people and bond with them over your mutual dissatisfaction with the company

Cons

Well this is gonna be a long list so get comfortable
    1 99% of employees in this company are contract workers. Only the cream of the crop are full time. You'll be able to recognize them. They are the ones that don't acknowledge your existence. The ones that turn their noses up at you when you pass in the halls. I've actually had people scoff as I walk by shaking their heads saying "ugh design associates".
    2 no hope for advancement. Of the people hired as a seasonal design associate 90% of you will be let go after just 3 months. The rest will struggle to stay relevant fighting for shifts. This becomes a battle between you and your coworkers to maintain employment. What is the key to staying employed? Suck up to your managers. Only higher ups friends are kept around. Skill has no bearing on this.
    3 compensation for anyone but engineers is pitiful. It's made very clear from the day you start who is valued in this company and who is not. Which brings me to my next point.
    4 you have no value and are easily replaceable. In fact your contract states you can be terminated at any time for any reason without any prior warning. The most likely scenario is that you will be on month to month contracts. As you near the end of the month you will not know whether you will have a job the following month. Usually they let you know midway through the last week of the month. In my case however there was a point where I wasn't even told if I was extended or not. I had to email my manager to find out whether I was coming in the following week or if I would be waiting at the unemployment office instead.
    5 more recently they have made a more dramatic division between the important people and the dispensables. The full timers now sit pretty on a brand new redesigned executive level. While the contractors have been sent to a completely different office in oakland. The contractors do not have access to the executive floor and can only glimpse the luxury furnishings on rare special occasions.
    6 on the rare occasion that you've stuck around for several years and happen to be on the CEOs good side. There is the slightest possibility you will be offered a full time position. The main reason for this is that they don't want to pay for the excessive amounts of overtime you been putting in. She will then "ask" you to leave a positive review on glassdoor! I put ask in quotes because let's be real you're not gonna tell her no when she is offering you a permanent position that you've been fighting for this whole time.
    7 things won't change so stop hoping it will get better. Countless managers have been hired to try and bring about changes to the company but at the end of the day all decisions are made by the ceo. And she doesn't give a damn about you. Most of these new hires come in with high hopes and are ready to make changes but they soon find out that the company is the way it is for a reason. That reason is Mariam. She wants her company this way because it maximizes profits and cuts overhead at the expense of employees. But like I said before employees are dispensable. If you don't like it there are hundreds more people out there to take your place. Most of the "game changers" end up quitting after just a few months.
    8 I could keep going.. But do I really need to? If you've read this far and still aren't convinced this is a terrible place to work maybe you should work there. Leave the good jobs for the rest of us.

P.s. I hate being this negative because we are meant to enjoy life. But my time at minted was a dark time in my life and I want to spare people that suffering. I wish you all the best.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. It's doesn't take long for people to realize they are being overworked, underpaid, undervalued and unappreciated. Everyone figures it out and everyone leaves. The turnover rate for this company is off the charts. If you stick around for over a year your are a veteran. If you stay longer than that, well you need to start appreciating yourself and realize you are better than this. There are other jobs out there. Start believing in yourself and make moves in your own life. No one is gonna do it for you.