Minted

Minted Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy

Mariam Naficy

Fast-paced working environment and strong collaborative morale.

Billing Analyst (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsGreat business development strategy enables gifted people to bind together contributing designing unique and creative platform for talented independent designers around the world.

ConsDuring the holiday season,a tremendous growth in demand of cards can be confronted with higher risk of logistic and rebate issues requested by clients, which might undermine customer loyalty and interest from potential clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is still expanding significantly so the challenging issue for executives should be seeking stable financing channels to support entrepreneurship.

A real startup experience

Marketing (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, professional processes to get things done. Things happen quickly and you have the opportunity to make a difference and make the needle move. It is a super transparent company and the management team makes all efforts to make it a good workplace environment.

ConsHave to be braced to put in the hours and the commitment required from a fast growing startup. Not for the faint hearted and the slackers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Fast paced, great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsLots of opportunity to learn.
    Working with amazing people: engineers, designers, etc.
    Fantastic culture

ConsHourly employees paid less than ideal wage.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working on interesting problems and selling a tangible product.

San Francisco, CA

Pros* Great amount of responsibility and trust placed on engineers, including interns.
    * No micromanagement.
    * Many aspects of code to focus on, so if you're interested in some particular space, you can let that be known and work with problems that interest you.
    * Management is very transparent about goals, which are numerically measurable (e.g. reach $X sales; increase conversion Y%).
    * Unlike most start-ups, Minted sells an actual product, so metrics are more realistic than how many users sign up. Runs more like a self-aware business than other start-ups I've seen.

Cons* Presence of legacy code leads to problems no one can help with.
    * Fast-paced environment means some work seems unfinished when launched.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest resources in decreasing turnover.

Great Start-Up Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHas a "start up" feel.
    Empower employees to make decisions and value input.
    Working alongside many energetic, talented people.

ConsCon to start-ups: burnt out employees, employees doing 2 jobs

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

creative, innovative company that's going places

San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is the happiest I've been at a company in a long time. It's a very creative environment - both inside the company and in the artist community that Minted supports. The business model is cool and innovative. People inside the company are smart and friendly.

It's a feel-good job. Minted is part of its customers' happiest moments: weddings, births, holidays, birthdays. Minted is also a creative training ground and business opportunity for independent artists who compete in Minted's competitions.

Employees are challenged to wear many hats and adjust quickly. The business seems to be growing well and the company is hiring.

ConsHoliday season is crazy at Minted, just like it is at most retailers. The other 3/4 of the year are pretty balanced.

A Growing Experience

Operations/Social Media Marketing (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsMy favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

ConsMy skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

Fast paced and strong collaborative work environment

Design Associate (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsFast paced and strong collaborative work environment. Great business to work for. All of the employees seemed positive and happy to be there.

ConsTypical challenges of working in one spot in front of a computer for 8 hrs can be expected. It was a bit difficult to get help sometimes when an issue would arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest just one thing, find a place closer to civilization. The Berkley building I worked at was so far away it was difficult at times to locate places to eat during breaks.

I like working at Minted so far.

ProsEasy to keep busy, interesting business model, one side of the office is really nice. Fancy kitchen with snacks. Free beer every other Wednesday. Some teams seem to be happy and have fun together. Lots of interesting people.

ConsWeird culture, not a good place for people who need a lot of reassurance or want to have work friends. Not a lot of connection between the different teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink official social activities that exclude a lot of people, especially when you have them in the office.

Great people and solid idea

Front-End Web Developer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat workplace: employees treated very well. The CEO shares good news and bad news very well

ConsMicromanaging CEO can be difficult and plays favoratism

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to micromanage

Worked for Minted? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Minted reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Minted CEO Mariam Naficy. All 36 reviews posted anonymously by Minted employees.