Minted Reviews

High Morale Among Engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for over a year. The engineering role is fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding. I've learned way more in my first year here than I have in all four years of college. There is a tradition in the engineering team of mentorship and personal growth. Teaching and learning are both foundational to the culture on the engineering team. I always find ample opportunities to progress my career and work on new and interesting projects. The company is growing very fast and future positions are very promising.

Cons

The team is very fast paced and diverse in culture and experience. There are both very experienced engineers and new ambitious newgrads from college. Employee turnover rate is very high by the end of two years and talented individuals come and go. Engineering is a very demanding position and requires a lot of dedication and hard work. High demand during the holidays present a plethora of challenges to overcome.

There is a lack of team building activities on the Engineering team to socialize with co-workers.

I have gained invaluable corporate knowledge and experience that I will use for the rest of my life.

Current Employee - Strategy Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Employees are very knowledgeable and experienced, top-notch CEO, environment where you can learn fast by doing,

Cons

The nature of the business makes working in preparation for holidays a stressful situation

Keep doing what your doing!

Fast-paced working environment and strong collaborative morale.

Former Employee - Billing Analyst  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great business development strategy enables gifted people to bind together contributing designing unique and creative platform for talented independent designers around the world.

Cons

During the holiday season,a tremendous growth in demand of cards can be confronted with higher risk of logistic and rebate issues requested by clients, which might undermine customer loyalty and interest from potential clients.

The company is still expanding significantly so the challenging issue for executives should be seeking stable financing channels to support entrepreneurship.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A real startup experience

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people, professional processes to get things done. Things happen quickly and you have the opportunity to make a difference and make the needle move. It is a super transparent company and the management team makes all efforts to make it a good workplace environment.

Cons

Have to be braced to put in the hours and the commitment required from a fast growing startup. Not for the faint hearted and the slackers.

Keep it up.

Fast paced, great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunity to learn.
    Working with amazing people: engineers, designers, etc.
    Fantastic culture

Cons

Hourly employees paid less than ideal wage.

Working on interesting problems and selling a tangible product.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Great amount of responsibility and trust placed on engineers, including interns.
    * No micromanagement.
    * Many aspects of code to focus on, so if you're interested in some particular space, you can let that be known and work with problems that interest you.
    * Management is very transparent about goals, which are numerically measurable (e.g. reach $X sales; increase conversion Y%).
    * Unlike most start-ups, Minted sells an actual product, so metrics are more realistic than how many users sign up. Runs more like a self-aware business than other start-ups I've seen.

Cons

* Presence of legacy code leads to problems no one can help with.
    * Fast-paced environment means some work seems unfinished when launched.

Invest resources in decreasing turnover.

Great Start-Up Experience

I worked at Minted part-time

Pros

Has a "start up" feel.
    Empower employees to make decisions and value input.
    Working alongside many energetic, talented people.

Cons

Con to start-ups: burnt out employees, employees doing 2 jobs

creative, innovative company that's going places

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the happiest I've been at a company in a long time. It's a very creative environment - both inside the company and in the artist community that Minted supports. The business model is cool and innovative. People inside the company are smart and friendly.

It's a feel-good job. Minted is part of its customers' happiest moments: weddings, births, holidays, birthdays. Minted is also a creative training ground and business opportunity for independent artists who compete in Minted's competitions.

Employees are challenged to wear many hats and adjust quickly. The business seems to be growing well and the company is hiring.

Cons

Holiday season is crazy at Minted, just like it is at most retailers. The other 3/4 of the year are pretty balanced.

Great environment for growing as a software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Minted full-time

Pros

Agile development without the dogma: daily stand-ups, peer code reviews, unit tests, pairing/huddling when you need it. Really smart, refreshingly nice engineers. Strong internship program, so there is a overarching culture of training and encouragement, and you will have many opportunities to be student and teacher. Great variety of projects to choose from. The project management team is the strongest I've ever worked with. Strong senior leadership with lots of financial and logistical transparency. Career ladders with equivalent management and individual contributor tracks.

Cons

Certain parts of the legacy codebase are brittle and need to be refactored. However, it seems like project management doesn't take kindly to pausing new feature work to reduce technical debt. That leads to unforeseen delays in feature-writing, which makes all parties grumpy.

Enjoyable place to work and met some great people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Minted has a great culture, snacks for employees, and an easy-going place to work. These were the reasons that I loved about working here. Most of the managers are awesome. Training is on-going because there are always changes and new products launching.

Cons

Slow career path. It is not the best place if you are looking to move up quickly...There are changes that are sometimes made where the CSR team is not included in the process which makes it a nightmare for those of us on the front line.

Prepare better for the holiday season with training so that CSRs are for the most part consistent in their responses, and review compensation for CSRs to be more in line with the standard.

Worked for Minted? Contribute to the Community!