Minted

Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy

Mariam Naficy

A Growing Experience

Operations/Social Media Marketing (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsMy favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

ConsMy skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

Working at Minted can be fun but not somewhere to stay if you want a real career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have to admit, I enjoyed working at Minted. It has helped me get design experience and I love designing stationary and cards so it was fun (even though I didn't get to actually design any cards, creating proofs for cards is the next best thing.)
    1. Friendly coworkers. Everyone treats each other with respect and are very helpful, and nice people to talk to. It's not like other places where coworkers compete with and/or belittle each other. People here work together as a team and support each other. The people were one of the only reasons why I was so hesitant about leaving, and even if I don't miss the company itself, I will miss the people.
    2. Even though there is not much design work involved, you learn a lot especially about using the software and about design in general. It’s a good way to get experience
    3. Free food and snacks
    4. Flexible schedule, you can drop or trade shifts with others if you don't want to work that day
    5. Relaxed and laid back atmosphere
    6. As redundant as the work was I actually enjoyed it a lot

Cons1. They don't give you a steady schedule and you're basically on call until either there's a holiday or a sale/promotion on their website and it gets busy. Sometimes you have to wait until the night before to know if you're even working the next day, and when it's slow, expect to go weeks or months with no work. I once went 2 months with no assigned shifts, and had to cover other people's shifts just to be able to work at least once or twice a month (if I was lucky)
    2. No benefits except for permanent employees (and even that I am not sure of)
    Low pay...although I am a recent college graduate and before this, never made more than 10 dollars an hour, so making 14.50 seemed high for me. Maybe it good for someone who is starting out. However, I realized maybe it is low pay for designers especially those who have a bachelors degree. I know people who get paid more than me working in retail and actually get benefits, and these are for jobs that require no degree.
    3. Most employees there are on contract and some are still considered "seasonal or temporary employees" even though they have been there for years. They basically wait until the last day to extend your contract, and keep renewing your contract every few months to a year, and for most people no promise of any permanent employment
    4. While it's a laid back and chill environment, I feel like it can be too unprofessional sometimes. Sometimes it felt like being back in high school. Even in university design classes, the environment was more professional and organized.
    5. Not somewhere to stay if you want to get far in your career.
    6. It’s not a real design job and consists of editing already existing design files
    7. Bad communication between teams and employees and there is no one set of rules. Everyone says something different and has a different way of doing things, so you have to forever guess what to do. And then when you think you did the correct thing, they will tell you that you should have done something else instead.
    8. They are forever changing things and the way they run the business. And sometimes will take away your privileges for no reason at all. I was doing advanced design work because they needed me to, until one of the managers decided to make me start from the basics again. Now I have to work my way back up until I can get to where I was in the beginning. It’s really a joke, yes it is a fun job and a good way to get experience but not somewhere to stay if you want to get far in your career

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better. Stocking the kitchen with snacks, ordering pizza and having beer o'clock, will not make up for lack of shifts, benefits and appreciation for your employees.
    Be more organized and consistent, especially about your work system and the way you run things. Don't demote employees for no reason at all and without giving any explanation. Come up with a clear set of rules that all employees and teams will follow, no matter which office they work in.

On-call design assembly line

Design Associate (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsYou'll be treated like an on-call "designer." I use the word designer loosely--you'll mostly be fixing customers' backlit photos, adjusting the text on their proofs so that it's centered, and adding a stroke to all potentially-hard-to-read fonts so that the card will print better. Customers submit pre-designed templates they've customized using Minted's browser software, and you fix their "mistakes." As you can see, this job can become very monotonous after a few days. The important thing is hitting target numbers; every employee is expected to hit 40 proofs a day and have a 85% quality control approval rate.

You'll get a few confirmed shifts, and some pending ones every week. You won't know that it's confirmed til 9pm the night before. You can expect to work weekends, unless you want to work less than 40 hours a week.

The hours can be very erratic. During peak season (holidays, Easter, wedding season), you'll be able to work 40 hours a week. When this rush dies down (as it will in February, for example) you may go a week without having a confirmed shift.

It's a great job if you're looking to make some extra cash during the holiday season or if you're just starting out your design career. Other than that, there's not a lot of room for growth. You could eventually become a design lead and make $1 more. And maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky become a "design associate trainer" if the current one steps down.

There are no benefits. Your contract will get extended every 3-6 months. You are 1099'd, yet treated like a regular employee. So, take that as you will.

On the plus side, you do get to look at lots of pictures of cute babies and Pinterest-friendly designs all day. And most of the people you work with are pretty great.

ConsErratic hours, no room for growth, monotonous and tedious

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design Robot

Seasonal Design Associate (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsEveryone I trained with was very talented, helpful, kind and professional. All of the design leads were great. Truly nice folks. Pretty organized. Nice office. *Free snacks, coffee. (*I don't care about stuff like free food personally-it's a red flag that they'll "own" you when that's a selling point - imo naturally-that's just me)

ConsYou're a design robot doing repetitive tasks which is only okay for a short time. Work quick or you're not getting work. Somewhat misleading as to how many hours you will actually work. Zero chance of full-time opportunities. Didn't get the sense that full-timers in design were super happy. There were significant issues with final print quality of product which is a big concern. Low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter two stints seasonally I really don't know what they could do to make it better. It is what it is. Lots of orders that need to get out quick.

A Good Stepping Stone.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsEasy to keep busy. Decent snacks, etc. I like everyone I work with.

ConsNo upward movement unless you happen to be buddy buddy with certain people in management. It's disappointing. These "favorites" get special treatment to the point of being utterly ridiculous and laughable - if it wasn't so unsettling at the same time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople might be motivated to do more than the minimum if they felt they could develop their careers there.

Fast paced and strong collaborative work environment

Design Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFast paced and strong collaborative work environment. Great business to work for. All of the employees seemed positive and happy to be there.

ConsTypical challenges of working in one spot in front of a computer for 8 hrs can be expected. It was a bit difficult to get help sometimes when an issue would arise.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest just one thing, find a place closer to civilization. The Berkley building I worked at was so far away it was difficult at times to locate places to eat during breaks.

Don't be fooled by external perception and apparent success of company, it's a horrible place to work

(Former Employee)

Pros- Fast-growing start-up, so you can check the box on that one
    - Lots of good people that work hard and want to do a good job
    - Nice location in downtown SF

Cons- Terrible culture - vast majority of employees are unhappy and looking to leave, if they haven't already (turnover is extremely high)
    - Micro-management by CEO - nobody is trusted or empowered to do their jobs
    - Compensation - many contractors with no benefits and extremely low hourly wages, full-time employees not much better (unless you are an engineer or a CEO favorite)
    - Communication - when things don't go well, employees are berated in front of their peers by CEO, both in meetings and in email
    - Senior management - seems like there is absolutely no desire to address cultural issues
    - Holiday season - high sales combined with tons of manual processes and bad systems lead to chaos and poor customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how you are building the company - if nobody wants to work there, is that something you can still be proud of? Consider the customers as well - you can't treat them so poorly every holiday season and expect them to keep coming back.

It was ok.

Design Associate (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsIt is very laid back company with a great work atmosphere.

ConsI worked there a temp and I felt they kind of mislead us into thinking it was a 40 hour a week kind of job, but instead it was just you come in when they need you. The work hours were not consistent at all with the amount hours we worked. There will be times where I went a full week without working.

previous review stated: "strong collaborative morale" - was that a bad joke?

Design Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Proslocation? Beer Friday and Lunch on Thursday? No sorry that will not cut it...

Conswhere to start....

Physical environment :

Most workers (especially those that are contractors) work on plastic folding tables, those lucky ones that are regular employees have "luxurious" IKEA tables. Computers utilized by majority are rentals, most of them with old monitors that are not even calibrated properly, this being "very helpful" for all the folks who have to deal with design programs in some way, shape or form.
    There is a mish-mash of miscellaneous office chairs, most of them by now either broken or dirty, or combination of both. Carpeting is dirty and stained as well, and there is not enough garbage bins around, nor anyone really cares or pays attention to recycling and what goes where.
        Speaking of grime, kitchen area is a complete pigsty where everyone needs their mommy to clean after themselves, the sink is constantly filled with plates caked with dried up leftover food, and the "high end" dishwasher gets constantly broken - mentality of most coworkers seems to be: "someone else will come to clean after me, so who cares"
       Bathrooms are a joke too, but I would rather not go into the details.

Working environment :

Now that is a big joke - across the board it seems that no matter what department you pick you will find a bunch of unhappy and miserable people.
    Departments do not mingle, those that are regular co-workers in particular seem not to bother even to say hello to others. It feels very clique like and if you are not a part of one you might as well start talking to imaginary friends; some folks will clearly display their annoyance and dislike towards you. Think of it as a high school where everyone is pretending to be grown up and very important.
       Speaking of departments HR is yet another joke, contacting them to inquire about an open position results in absolutely nothing - you will never hear back from them. It appears that even though the company CEO Mariam Naficy during every meeting claims that Minted is about promoting from within, I keep seeing people being hired from the outside; and then there's an infamous speech about investing in people and training - another joke. From my observation and experience the management attitude is sink-or-swim.
       Production department resembles a sweat shop where managers (who are obviously not trained or experienced to tackle the issues) push those below them to the extremes - the condescending tone and attitude is a bit appalling. Everyone who had a chance to leave this department has left. There is a constant push for number crunching and reaching some unfathomable goals, while those who actually perform the tasks are constantly understaffed and stressed that they will get reprimanded for not making their numbers.
       Operations department is apparently a bunch of red-haired-step-children who happen to agree to work for 15$ per hour, or even less if you worked as a temp hire during X-mas season. I have met way too many people in this department that are more than overqualified, and what they do is basically copying and pasting existing templates into slightly customized proofs for customers, in order to make files ready for print. All in all, this might be challenging for a week (if so) until you get familiar with pretty convoluted (and fragmented) way of proofing and creating orders, but after that it will become very boring and repetitive. And to spice things up there is always something that was forgotten to be mentioned - some minor change that might mess everything else up.
        Speaking of design, Design department has even less artistic ability or freedom - pretty much most stationery designs were made by outside people who actually do not work for the company - so Design team is simply cleaning up their files before sending them over to Production for further customization to meet digital requirements of the company's internal system.
       Engineering/IT is (as always) a group of brainy, some geeky of course, folks who live in their own realm and plain of existence, perhaps a secret dimension we can not comprehend or reach, for alas we are too simple. They are also perceived as overwhelmed and lost in time/space continuum trying to fix all the quirks. Overall from conversations and interaction with them there is a lot of guessing games and trial-and-error methods involved in their daily work. Thankfully due to their parallel world connections they seem to have more fun (if it can be called so) than most of other departments.
       Marketing and Merchandising departments seem to be composed of mostly untouchable cliques who do not find worthy to say hello or acknowledge puny existence of anyone else outside their little circle. When occasionally forced to listen to their "highly important" conversation, one might think they are solving the Middle East crisis and not deciding upon whether teal or aqua color will be the final background for the new baby shower card, or whether some design should get a second option in yellow. It must be great to be preoccupied with really "important" issues in life......
    There are other more elusive departments such as Printing ( if that is the proper name) Product Development, Quality etc - people you would most likely never interact with, nor look at their (usually) angry and/or annoyed faces.....
        There is a constant feel that no one knows what is going on, nor that there is a clear goal and strategy in mind, decisions are being made very erratically and usually when it is too late, making matters even worse than prior; recently it was decided that (sub-department I have not mentioned yet) Customer Service should get a helping hand due to a ridiculously high surge in orders during holiday season - this naturally resulted in a complete disaster, as all of those that were told to pitch in were not trained and had no idea what they were doing, impeding regular CS people to actually do their own part, making everything lag further and create even more problems by communicating to ( by now angry and impatient) customers misleading information or promising things that could not be fulfilled. This left many people frustrated to say the least, and fearsome of the CEO's reaction and retributions that would follow.

I could continue typing for a while, but one must step outside this little bubble called Minted "start up" and look upon things as a whole, and on a higher plane:

In this horrendous economy I have a job - I might be grumbling but I have a crummy paycheck that covers basic expenses (most of the time, when my shifts are confirmed....) Am I satisfied and is it ideal? - absolutely not, but will I simply type angry rants on here and do nothing - also, absolutely not! Do I think it is unfair that most employers like Minted abuse the state of economy, and have people work in pretty inhumane conditions? - yes I do.
    However I am not giving up, and I will stick it up. For the time being I will play their little games and smile politely. But soon the time will come to say good riddance!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is nothing to advise - I think they know quite well what they are doing, those who did not agree with the state of affairs have left. Those that are willing to deal with this mentality, working conditions and nature of business, are obviously sticking around - some might be also in fear of not finding anything better, but then again I highly doubt that they are being paid as little as most folks are.....

Oh yes,
    - please do not boast about a million dollar generated sale days during future meetings - that is very crass and inconsiderate especially if most people do not have medical insurance, or any benefits for that matter, atop of being uncertain if their poorly paid contracts will be extended.....

Could be better. It is what it is.

Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsYou will meet great people here and that's what makes your day. Good for putting your foot into the door.

ConsUnorganized teams, heavy load of rushed work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter micro-management in teams.

Worked for Minted? Contribute to the Community!