Minted Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.2

Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

Minted combines a unique business model and fast-paced culture where you'll learn a lot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things about Minted is its business model. Crowdsourcing of designs not only elevates the best designs to the top, but also allows the company to easily expand out of stationery into additional verticals (art, for instance). It's a great place to combine creativity and analytics - the culture is data-driven but still very much with an eye for design.

Culture-wise, Minted feels non-hierarchical - employees' opinions are heard regardless of their level. There aren't any silos or "territories" between departments, and there is a lot of collaboration.

Cons

As a hypergrowth startup, Minted is not a lifestyle company and you'll need to make some personal sacrifices. The upside is that everyone is in the same boat and there is a shared sense of camaraderie.

With everyone moving at maximum speed, sometimes it can feel like not everyone is kept in the loop and people management/careerpathing can feel like it's taking a back seat. Like someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of positive reinforcement so people need to be self-motivated in order to succeed.

Take time to celebrate successes and focus more on people, while still keeping up the agility and fast pace. Minted is at the cusp of becoming a more mature company and what we do now will set the tone for a long time to come.

Great environment for growing as a software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Minted full-time

Pros

Agile development without the dogma: daily stand-ups, peer code reviews, unit tests, pairing/huddling when you need it. Really smart, refreshingly nice engineers. Strong internship program, so there is a overarching culture of training and encouragement, and you will have many opportunities to be student and teacher. Great variety of projects to choose from. The project management team is the strongest I've ever worked with. Strong senior leadership with lots of financial and logistical transparency. Career ladders with equivalent management and individual contributor tracks.

Cons

Certain parts of the legacy codebase are brittle and need to be refactored. However, it seems like project management doesn't take kindly to pausing new feature work to reduce technical debt. That leads to unforeseen delays in feature-writing, which makes all parties grumpy.

High Morale Among Engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working here for over a year. The engineering role is fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding. I've learned way more in my first year here than I have in all four years of college. There is a tradition in the engineering team of mentorship and personal growth. Teaching and learning are both foundational to the culture on the engineering team. I always find ample opportunities to progress my career and work on new and interesting projects. The company is growing very fast and future positions are very promising.

Cons

The team is very fast paced and diverse in culture and experience. There are both very experienced engineers and new ambitious newgrads from college. Employee turnover rate is very high by the end of two years and talented individuals come and go. Engineering is a very demanding position and requires a lot of dedication and hard work. High demand during the holidays present a plethora of challenges to overcome.

There is a lack of team building activities on the Engineering team to socialize with co-workers.

Agree with many other reviews.

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, quality product, impressive brand name, business is doing very well.

Cons

Unsupportive management, little room for growth, it appears that the CEO does not understand crucial elements of what goes on at her company, ultra-low wages, visible inability to retain smart and talented employees, those who rise to the top seem to be the employees who are not necessarily the most qualified, but have stuck it out the longest (perhaps because they wouldn't get hired anywhere else), disgruntled atmosphere, clique-y departments, favoritism, a lot of eye rolling, complaining, and fake smiles.

Where to start? The number one issue I notice is the insanely high turnover rate. Every week it seems like experienced, exceptional employees put in their notice after getting fed up and finding placement elsewhere. Perhaps a more supportive, organized, and appreciative atmosphere would help the exodus of talent. CEO should trust managers and department heads more, and refrain from public reprimands when a perceived error is made (this happens often).

Enjoyable place to work and met some great people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Minted has a great culture, snacks for employees, and an easy-going place to work. These were the reasons that I loved about working here. Most of the managers are awesome. Training is on-going because there are always changes and new products launching.

Cons

Slow career path. It is not the best place if you are looking to move up quickly...There are changes that are sometimes made where the CSR team is not included in the process which makes it a nightmare for those of us on the front line.

Prepare better for the holiday season with training so that CSRs are for the most part consistent in their responses, and review compensation for CSRs to be more in line with the standard.

I have gained invaluable corporate knowledge and experience that I will use for the rest of my life.

Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are very knowledgeable and experienced, top-notch CEO, environment where you can learn fast by doing,

Cons

The nature of the business makes working in preparation for holidays a stressful situation

Keep doing what your doing!

Amazing opportunity to have a large impact as an engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Minted full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy Minted's culture and admire the senior management team. They are very smart and very invested in the success of the company. Engineering is a critical component of the success of the company. There is constant pressure to do more and grow the company with new features, new products and new platforms. While it can be stressful, it is also exciting that I can impact the success of the company in a meaningful way only weeks after starting.
    * fast paced, collaborative engineering culture
    * big problems to solve
    * pushing the envelope technically for product customization
    * very fast design to code to prod cycle

Cons

As expected, the rapid growth of the company has led to some scaling issues with parts of the technical architecture that have to be resolved in place.
    * not for the weak of heart, have to be self motivated
    * some technical debt that needs to be resolved

Invest in some refactoring of core components

A Growing Experience

Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

Cons

My skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Continue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

Working at Minted can be fun but not somewhere to stay if you want a real career

I worked at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I have to admit, I enjoyed working at Minted. It has helped me get design experience and I love designing stationary and cards so it was fun (even though I didn't get to actually design any cards, creating proofs for cards is the next best thing.)
    1. Friendly coworkers. Everyone treats each other with respect and are very helpful, and nice people to talk to. It's not like other places where coworkers compete with and/or belittle each other. People here work together as a team and support each other. The people were one of the only reasons why I was so hesitant about leaving, and even if I don't miss the company itself, I will miss the people.
    2. Even though there is not much design work involved, you learn a lot especially about using the software and about design in general. It’s a good way to get experience
    3. Free food and snacks
    4. Flexible schedule, you can drop or trade shifts with others if you don't want to work that day
    5. Relaxed and laid back atmosphere
    6. As redundant as the work was I actually enjoyed it a lot

Cons

1. They don't give you a steady schedule and you're basically on call until either there's a holiday or a sale/promotion on their website and it gets busy. Sometimes you have to wait until the night before to know if you're even working the next day, and when it's slow, expect to go weeks or months with no work. I once went 2 months with no assigned shifts, and had to cover other people's shifts just to be able to work at least once or twice a month (if I was lucky)
    2. No benefits except for permanent employees (and even that I am not sure of)
    Low pay...although I am a recent college graduate and before this, never made more than 10 dollars an hour, so making 14.50 seemed high for me. Maybe it good for someone who is starting out. However, I realized maybe it is low pay for designers especially those who have a bachelors degree. I know people who get paid more than me working in retail and actually get benefits, and these are for jobs that require no degree.
    3. Most employees there are on contract and some are still considered "seasonal or temporary employees" even though they have been there for years. They basically wait until the last day to extend your contract, and keep renewing your contract every few months to a year, and for most people no promise of any permanent employment
    4. While it's a laid back and chill environment, I feel like it can be too unprofessional sometimes. Sometimes it felt like being back in high school. Even in university design classes, the environment was more professional and organized.
    5. Not somewhere to stay if you want to get far in your career.
    6. It’s not a real design job and consists of editing already existing design files
    7. Bad communication between teams and employees and there is no one set of rules. Everyone says something different and has a different way of doing things, so you have to forever guess what to do. And then when you think you did the correct thing, they will tell you that you should have done something else instead.
    8. They are forever changing things and the way they run the business. And sometimes will take away your privileges for no reason at all. I was doing advanced design work because they needed me to, until one of the managers decided to make me start from the basics again. Now I have to work my way back up until I can get to where I was in the beginning. It’s really a joke, yes it is a fun job and a good way to get experience but not somewhere to stay if you want to get far in your career

Treat your employees better. Stocking the kitchen with snacks, ordering pizza and having beer o'clock, will not make up for lack of shifts, benefits and appreciation for your employees.
    Be more organized and consistent, especially about your work system and the way you run things. Don't demote employees for no reason at all and without giving any explanation. Come up with a clear set of rules that all employees and teams will follow, no matter which office they work in.

On-call design assembly line

Former Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Design Associate in Oakland, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You'll be treated like an on-call "designer." I use the word designer loosely--you'll mostly be fixing customers' backlit photos, adjusting the text on their proofs so that it's centered, and adding a stroke to all potentially-hard-to-read fonts so that the card will print better. Customers submit pre-designed templates they've customized using Minted's browser software, and you fix their "mistakes." As you can see, this job can become very monotonous after a few days. The important thing is hitting target numbers; every employee is expected to hit 40 proofs a day and have a 85% quality control approval rate.

You'll get a few confirmed shifts, and some pending ones every week. You won't know that it's confirmed til 9pm the night before. You can expect to work weekends, unless you want to work less than 40 hours a week.

The hours can be very erratic. During peak season (holidays, Easter, wedding season), you'll be able to work 40 hours a week. When this rush dies down (as it will in February, for example) you may go a week without having a confirmed shift.

It's a great job if you're looking to make some extra cash during the holiday season or if you're just starting out your design career. Other than that, there's not a lot of room for growth. You could eventually become a design lead and make $1 more. And maybe, just maybe, if you're lucky become a "design associate trainer" if the current one steps down.

There are no benefits. Your contract will get extended every 3-6 months. You are 1099'd, yet treated like a regular employee. So, take that as you will.

On the plus side, you do get to look at lots of pictures of cute babies and Pinterest-friendly designs all day. And most of the people you work with are pretty great.

Cons

Erratic hours, no room for growth, monotonous and tedious

Treat your employees better.