Minted Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.2

Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Brilliant business model, fantastic products and even better people!

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved my time at Minted. The business plan the founders have put together, and keep expanding on is fantastic. They truly listen to their customers, and their community of designers to fulfill all wants and needs. They have put together a very strong leadership team who also care very much about their employees - they listen to us, and want us to grow. The products speak for themselves, high quality, beautiful pieces of art and design. And the people are amazing - utterly creative, smart, and great team players.

Cons

I honestly can't think of many con's that a majority of employees have. For me, the only true con was my commute (which was my fault), and it got the best of me, quickly. While they do have a fairly flexible schedule (most people aren't in office before 9am), it was the length of time for me to get to and from the office every day, that didn't provide me, personally a positive life balance. Other than that, I can't think of other "cons".

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep expanding the business which will open doors for new career paths. Consider allowing employees to work from home one day a week if it works for your business model as you grow.

Minted combines a unique business model and fast-paced culture where you'll learn a lot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things about Minted is its business model. Crowdsourcing of designs not only elevates the best designs to the top, but also allows the company to easily expand out of stationery into additional verticals (art, for instance). It's a great place to combine creativity and analytics - the culture is data-driven but still very much with an eye for design.

Culture-wise, Minted feels non-hierarchical - employees' opinions are heard regardless of their level. There aren't any silos or "territories" between departments, and there is a lot of collaboration.

Cons

As a hypergrowth startup, Minted is not a lifestyle company and you'll need to make some personal sacrifices. The upside is that everyone is in the same boat and there is a shared sense of camaraderie.

With everyone moving at maximum speed, sometimes it can feel like not everyone is kept in the loop and people management/careerpathing can feel like it's taking a back seat. Like someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of positive reinforcement so people need to be self-motivated in order to succeed.

Take time to celebrate successes and focus more on people, while still keeping up the agility and fast pace. Minted is at the cusp of becoming a more mature company and what we do now will set the tone for a long time to come.

High Morale Among Engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working here for over a year. The engineering role is fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding. I've learned way more in my first year here than I have in all four years of college. There is a tradition in the engineering team of mentorship and personal growth. Teaching and learning are both foundational to the culture on the engineering team. I always find ample opportunities to progress my career and work on new and interesting projects. The company is growing very fast and future positions are very promising.

Cons

The team is very fast paced and diverse in culture and experience. There are both very experienced engineers and new ambitious newgrads from college. Employee turnover rate is very high by the end of two years and talented individuals come and go. Engineering is a very demanding position and requires a lot of dedication and hard work. High demand during the holidays present a plethora of challenges to overcome.

There is a lack of team building activities on the Engineering team to socialize with co-workers.

I have gained invaluable corporate knowledge and experience that I will use for the rest of my life.

Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are very knowledgeable and experienced, top-notch CEO, environment where you can learn fast by doing,

Cons

The nature of the business makes working in preparation for holidays a stressful situation

Keep doing what your doing!

Enjoyable place to work and met some great people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Minted has a great culture, snacks for employees, and an easy-going place to work. These were the reasons that I loved about working here. Most of the managers are awesome. Training is on-going because there are always changes and new products launching.

Cons

Slow career path. It is not the best place if you are looking to move up quickly...There are changes that are sometimes made where the CSR team is not included in the process which makes it a nightmare for those of us on the front line.

Prepare better for the holiday season with training so that CSRs are for the most part consistent in their responses, and review compensation for CSRs to be more in line with the standard.

A Growing Experience

Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

Cons

My skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Continue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

A Good Stepping Stone.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to keep busy. Decent snacks, etc. I like everyone I work with.

Cons

No upward movement unless you happen to be buddy buddy with certain people in management. It's disappointing. These "favorites" get special treatment to the point of being utterly ridiculous and laughable - if it wasn't so unsettling at the same time.

People might be motivated to do more than the minimum if they felt they could develop their careers there.

Fast paced and strong collaborative work environment

Current Employee - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced and strong collaborative work environment. Great business to work for. All of the employees seemed positive and happy to be there.

Cons

Typical challenges of working in one spot in front of a computer for 8 hrs can be expected. It was a bit difficult to get help sometimes when an issue would arise.

I would suggest just one thing, find a place closer to civilization. The Berkley building I worked at was so far away it was difficult at times to locate places to eat during breaks.

Could be better. It is what it is.

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You will meet great people here and that's what makes your day. Good for putting your foot into the door.

Cons

Unorganized teams, heavy load of rushed work.

Better micro-management in teams.

previous review stated: "strong collaborative morale" - was that a bad joke?

Current Employee - Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

location? Beer Friday and Lunch on Thursday? No sorry that will not cut it...

Cons

where to start....

Physical environment :

Most workers (especially those that are contractors) work on plastic folding tables, those lucky ones that are regular employees have "luxurious" IKEA tables. Computers utilized by majority are rentals, most of them with old monitors that are not even calibrated properly, this being "very helpful" for all the folks who have to deal with design programs in some way, shape or form.
    There is a mish-mash of miscellaneous office chairs, most of them by now either broken or dirty, or combination of both. Carpeting is dirty and stained as well, and there is not enough garbage bins around, nor anyone really cares or pays attention to recycling and what goes where.
        Speaking of grime, kitchen area is a complete pigsty where everyone needs their mommy to clean after themselves, the sink is constantly filled with plates caked with dried up leftover food, and the "high end" dishwasher gets constantly broken - mentality of most coworkers seems to be: "someone else will come to clean after me, so who cares"
       Bathrooms are a joke too, but I would rather not go into the details.

Working environment :

Now that is a big joke - across the board it seems that no matter what department you pick you will find a bunch of unhappy and miserable people.
    Departments do not mingle, those that are regular co-workers in particular seem not to bother even to say hello to others. It feels very clique like and if you are not a part of one you might as well start talking to imaginary friends; some folks will clearly display their annoyance and dislike towards you. Think of it as a high school where everyone is pretending to be grown up and very important.
       Speaking of departments HR is yet another joke, contacting them to inquire about an open position results in absolutely nothing - you will never hear back from them. It appears that even though the company CEO Mariam Naficy during every meeting claims that Minted is about promoting from within, I keep seeing people being hired from the outside; and then there's an infamous speech about investing in people and training - another joke. From my observation and experience the management attitude is sink-or-swim.
       Production department resembles a sweat shop where managers (who are obviously not trained or experienced to tackle the issues) push those below them to the extremes - the condescending tone and attitude is a bit appalling. Everyone who had a chance to leave this department has left. There is a constant push for number crunching and reaching some unfathomable goals, while those who actually perform the tasks are constantly understaffed and stressed that they will get reprimanded for not making their numbers.
       Operations department is apparently a bunch of red-haired-step-children who happen to agree to work for 15$ per hour, or even less if you worked as a temp hire during X-mas season. I have met way too many people in this department that are more than overqualified, and what they do is basically copying and pasting existing templates into slightly customized proofs for customers, in order to make files ready for print. All in all, this might be challenging for a week (if so) until you get familiar with pretty convoluted (and fragmented) way of proofing and creating orders, but after that it will become very boring and repetitive. And to spice things up there is always something that was forgotten to be mentioned - some minor change that might mess everything else up.
        Speaking of design, Design department has even less artistic ability or freedom - pretty much most stationery designs were made by outside people who actually do not work for the company - so Design team is simply cleaning up their files before sending them over to Production for further customization to meet digital requirements of the company's internal system.
       Engineering/IT is (as always) a group of brainy, some geeky of course, folks who live in their own realm and plain of existence, perhaps a secret dimension we can not comprehend or reach, for alas we are too simple. They are also perceived as overwhelmed and lost in time/space continuum trying to fix all the quirks. Overall from conversations and interaction with them there is a lot of guessing games and trial-and-error methods involved in their daily work. Thankfully due to their parallel world connections they seem to have more fun (if it can be called so) than most of other departments.
       Marketing and Merchandising departments seem to be composed of mostly untouchable cliques who do not find worthy to say hello or acknowledge puny existence of anyone else outside their little circle. When occasionally forced to listen to their "highly important" conversation, one might think they are solving the Middle East crisis and not deciding upon whether teal or aqua color will be the final background for the new baby shower card, or whether some design should get a second option in yellow. It must be great to be preoccupied with really "important" issues in life......
    There are other more elusive departments such as Printing ( if that is the proper name) Product Development, Quality etc - people you would most likely never interact with, nor look at their (usually) angry and/or annoyed faces.....
        There is a constant feel that no one knows what is going on, nor that there is a clear goal and strategy in mind, decisions are being made very erratically and usually when it is too late, making matters even worse than prior; recently it was decided that (sub-department I have not mentioned yet) Customer Service should get a helping hand due to a ridiculously high surge in orders during holiday season - this naturally resulted in a complete disaster, as all of those that were told to pitch in were not trained and had no idea what they were doing, impeding regular CS people to actually do their own part, making everything lag further and create even more problems by communicating to ( by now angry and impatient) customers misleading information or promising things that could not be fulfilled. This left many people frustrated to say the least, and fearsome of the CEO's reaction and retributions that would follow.

I could continue typing for a while, but one must step outside this little bubble called Minted "start up" and look upon things as a whole, and on a higher plane:

In this horrendous economy I have a job - I might be grumbling but I have a crummy paycheck that covers basic expenses (most of the time, when my shifts are confirmed....) Am I satisfied and is it ideal? - absolutely not, but will I simply type angry rants on here and do nothing - also, absolutely not! Do I think it is unfair that most employers like Minted abuse the state of economy, and have people work in pretty inhumane conditions? - yes I do.
    However I am not giving up, and I will stick it up. For the time being I will play their little games and smile politely. But soon the time will come to say good riddance!

There is nothing to advise - I think they know quite well what they are doing, those who did not agree with the state of affairs have left. Those that are willing to deal with this mentality, working conditions and nature of business, are obviously sticking around - some might be also in fear of not finding anything better, but then again I highly doubt that they are being paid as little as most folks are.....

Oh yes,
    - please do not boast about a million dollar generated sale days during future meetings - that is very crass and inconsiderate especially if most people do not have medical insurance, or any benefits for that matter, atop of being uncertain if their poorly paid contracts will be extended.....