Minted

Updated December 16, 2014
3.3

Minted Founder & CEO Mariam Naficy
Mariam Naficy

Pros
  • I enjoy Minted's culture and admire the senior management team (in 5 reviews)

• Fun environment, nice location, friendly people, and snacks are always restocked (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero chance of full-time opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• As a temp Holiday season hire, your schedule is like Jury Duty (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good company and product

I have been working at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Minted has a good business model and you can tell that everyone who works there is passionate about what they do regardless of what department they work in. Minted is a great place to get your ideas heard. Processes and policies are still being formed so nothing is set in stone. This is a great opportunity to make a difference and help mold the way things get done. Everyone is also super laid back!

Other perks: good location; new office, lots of snacks and semi regular events

Cons

There is not a lot of direction or training into your role except a few days. I see this as an advantage however some people don't work like this and in return will not succeed at their job. If you are looking for someone to hold your hand and micromanage you, this is not the place for you to work. If you work well with minimal direction and are a self starter you will succeed! Sometimes it is difficult to know if you are doing a good job or not because there isn't feedback regularly given or performance reviews to count on. You have to seek it out yourself and sometimes be your own boss.

enhance training and feedback sessions

People are friendly

Current Employee - Associate Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

People are nice, friendy, and helpful.

Cons

Work hours are chaotic during holiday season.
     One can't really express his/her creativity at this company.

keep it up!

Laid back: for better or worse

Current Employee - Seasonal Design Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Design Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is really casual. It's an open space floor plan, where questions roam freely and work is done at a comfortable level. The people are really friendly and helpful. There are snacks and coffee for free.

Cons

The laid back atmosphere doesn't require a lot of stress, just discipline. The interview process was pretty unorganized. I did not like how the schedule worked and the hours are pretty hard to handle during holiday season.

I think it'd be better if there were more opportunities for personal growth, because it's a great company.

Brilliant business model, fantastic products and even better people!

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved my time at Minted. The business plan the founders have put together, and keep expanding on is fantastic. They truly listen to their customers, and their community of designers to fulfill all wants and needs. They have put together a very strong leadership team who also care very much about their employees - they listen to us, and want us to grow. The products speak for themselves, high quality, beautiful pieces of art and design. And the people are amazing - utterly creative, smart, and great team players.

Cons

I honestly can't think of many con's that a majority of employees have. For me, the only true con was my commute (which was my fault), and it got the best of me, quickly. While they do have a fairly flexible schedule (most people aren't in office before 9am), it was the length of time for me to get to and from the office every day, that didn't provide me, personally a positive life balance. Other than that, I can't think of other "cons".

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep expanding the business which will open doors for new career paths. Consider allowing employees to work from home one day a week if it works for your business model as you grow.

Minted combines a unique business model and fast-paced culture where you'll learn a lot.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the best things about Minted is its business model. Crowdsourcing of designs not only elevates the best designs to the top, but also allows the company to easily expand out of stationery into additional verticals (art, for instance). It's a great place to combine creativity and analytics - the culture is data-driven but still very much with an eye for design.

Culture-wise, Minted feels non-hierarchical - employees' opinions are heard regardless of their level. There aren't any silos or "territories" between departments, and there is a lot of collaboration.

Cons

As a hypergrowth startup, Minted is not a lifestyle company and you'll need to make some personal sacrifices. The upside is that everyone is in the same boat and there is a shared sense of camaraderie.

With everyone moving at maximum speed, sometimes it can feel like not everyone is kept in the loop and people management/careerpathing can feel like it's taking a back seat. Like someone else mentioned, there is not a lot of positive reinforcement so people need to be self-motivated in order to succeed.

Take time to celebrate successes and focus more on people, while still keeping up the agility and fast pace. Minted is at the cusp of becoming a more mature company and what we do now will set the tone for a long time to come.

High Morale Among Engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working here for over a year. The engineering role is fast-paced, challenging, and rewarding. I've learned way more in my first year here than I have in all four years of college. There is a tradition in the engineering team of mentorship and personal growth. Teaching and learning are both foundational to the culture on the engineering team. I always find ample opportunities to progress my career and work on new and interesting projects. The company is growing very fast and future positions are very promising.

Cons

The team is very fast paced and diverse in culture and experience. There are both very experienced engineers and new ambitious newgrads from college. Employee turnover rate is very high by the end of two years and talented individuals come and go. Engineering is a very demanding position and requires a lot of dedication and hard work. High demand during the holidays present a plethora of challenges to overcome.

There is a lack of team building activities on the Engineering team to socialize with co-workers.

I have gained invaluable corporate knowledge and experience that I will use for the rest of my life.

Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Strategy Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Minted as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees are very knowledgeable and experienced, top-notch CEO, environment where you can learn fast by doing,

Cons

The nature of the business makes working in preparation for holidays a stressful situation

Keep doing what your doing!

Enjoyable place to work and met some great people

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Minted has a great culture, snacks for employees, and an easy-going place to work. These were the reasons that I loved about working here. Most of the managers are awesome. Training is on-going because there are always changes and new products launching.

Cons

Slow career path. It is not the best place if you are looking to move up quickly...There are changes that are sometimes made where the CSR team is not included in the process which makes it a nightmare for those of us on the front line.

Prepare better for the holiday season with training so that CSRs are for the most part consistent in their responses, and review compensation for CSRs to be more in line with the standard.

A Growing Experience

Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations/Social Media Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Minted was having the opportunity to grow and learn WITH the company. Having been a part of the core team from the very start, I had the unique experience of helping a seedling grow into a beautiful garden - and as the company grew, my skill set became much more advanced. The people are really what make Minted special. They are incredibly hardworking, dedicated and passionate. Most are willing to share their knowledge - to foster growth, creativity and success and it is those people that make coming into the office and working toward a collaborative goal worthwhile.

Cons

My skill set may have improved dramatically over the past few years but unfortunately my overall feelings of value generally stayed about level. Most people who have spent any time in Operations during Q4 may express disdain, however I have always appreciated a good challenge and tend to thrive under pressure. Often the pressure was too much for executives who had joined our team as leaders and it was not always easy to help hire, train and learn to respect someone you knew would eventually be leaving anyway.

Continue, as you are, to foster growth within the company. Consider those who have dedicated much of themselves over the years equally as valuable as those who are bringing new, immediate results to the table.

A Good Stepping Stone.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Minted as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to keep busy. Decent snacks, etc. I like everyone I work with.

Cons

No upward movement unless you happen to be buddy buddy with certain people in management. It's disappointing. These "favorites" get special treatment to the point of being utterly ridiculous and laughable - if it wasn't so unsettling at the same time.

People might be motivated to do more than the minimum if they felt they could develop their careers there.