Mintel Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Peter Haigh

Pros
  • Mintel is really good at what they do and they employ some great people (in 8 reviews)

• Nice office and good downtown location (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There are no vertical career progression, just horizontal career change (if you get what I mean (in 5 reviews)

• High pressure sales with not a lot of support from management (in 3 reviews)

1. Great company, great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mintel full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great environment!

Great people, engaging work, unlimited career opportunities (no set path allows you to forge your own career), and great work/life balance. Good benefits and PTO policy as well. Nice, new office in heart of downtown.

Cons

The approach to seating - while good for many reasons (open/collaborative) comes with challenges as well - must be conscious about sensitive info on screens or sensitive conversations. In addition, no assigned seats makes the office feel a little impersonal, as desks are kept clear each night.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive environment! But don't forget about your Analysts. They are working hard, every day, and can sometimes feel undervalued, as a lot of discussion centers around sales performance.

Nice on the surface, but upon closer inspection.....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mintel (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed working environment, with a cool and unique work space. It's actually the most interesting office I've ever had the opportunity to work in every day.

Cons

There are no raises given here. You have to be promoted in the company to make more money. You are usually left feeling stuck in your current position because there isn't much room for advancement. You basically have to wait for someone to quit, be fired or get promoted for you to move up to the next logical position in your career path. Otherwise, you have to jump around the company to find a new opening, granted they even give you the opportunity to apply.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to listen to their employees, and actually help them with career progression rather than just tell them to wait it out. As far as Senior Management, the raise situation does not promote a good morale with employees, as it makes them feel unappreciated and undervalued. Even a small raise would be appreciated.

3. Remarkable place to work!

I have been working at Mintel

Pros

This is, by far, the best work experience I've had to date. The people and the culture make Mintel stand out against other employers. Everyone I have met in the Chicago office is very focused and driven, but also likes to balance that with fun, which is actually one of Mintel's core values. Employees have a voice here and you have the ability to really make your positive mark on the business each day. Moreover, upper management is vocal about recognizing employee successes through monthly newsletter announcements, quarterly MVP awards & events and also through advancement opportunities.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons about working here. Expectations are clear and straight forward. The lines of communication are open between management and employees if there are questions or concerns.

Advice to Management

Since I have been at Mintel for a duration less than one year, I do not feel that I'm in a position to offer any advice to management.

It had potential.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mintel full-time

Pros

Cool looking office in a great location in Chicago's Loop.
    Generally very nice people across departments.
    Great PTO and benefits.
    Birthday treats and First Friday parties.

Cons

- Open office concept, mixed with the shared "touch down" desks, is a terrible work environment. With a mix of writers, analysts, tech and sales people, all groups have different working styles that work best for them. It is not sustainable not having your own space, and listening in on unimportant conversations gets tiresome. Create some privacy within the office so you don't feel like a fool making a simple phone call.
    - Higher ups have no idea what goes on below them. Management has been in place too long with far too much turnover happening beneath. I knew ten people across departments who all left in one month. Time to shake things up, Mintel.
    - Chicago office is second-thought to a lot of company decisions. Lack of communication is bound to happen with teams across seas, but find ways to make London and Chicago communications seamless.
    - Teach managers how to be managers, rather than throwing them into the position and risking the consequence of a mismanaged team. Problems get addressed to HR, managers do nothing to fix problem, nor does HR department. Someone needs to take responsibility.
    - The pay is absolutely terrible. If you're entry-level, you easily make 5-10k less than your peers at other companies in Chicago. Mintel tries to balance this with great benefits, but PTO days can't pay my rent.
    - And finally, no career growth. If you have any forward-thinking ideas of where your department should be heading, they will be not considered or shut down completely. "We don't have the resources/time" is what I heard way too often.

Advice to Management

Start fresh. You know who the weak links are.

6. Project Management

I have been working at Mintel

Pros

Great and intelligent leadership, great learning experience

Cons

limited mobility to move up

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mintel (More than a year)

Pros

International company, chances for promotion, interesting industry, some good co-workers

Cons

Terrible sales environment, Remarkably cut-throat, management lacks clear vision of company goals and issues

Advice to Management

Fire your sales management staff and start over

8. Great company to work for!

I worked at Mintel full-time

Pros

Flexible fun great clients loved it

Cons

I didn't have many cons working for this company

Software Developer

I have been working at Mintel full-time

Pros

Mintel is a good place to work straight out of college to gain experience as long as you're fully aware that this will not be your career. Time off is very generous.

Cons

The compensation is pathetic and will never change after you are hired. The managerial structure is completely dysfunctional. The office is overcrowded and poorly maintained.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them fairly. Treating your employees like they're worthless is not a good long-term strategy.

Inside Sales

I worked at Mintel

Pros

Standard Hours and great office.

Cons

Not much guidance. If you don't hit your quota, you will be put on a performance plan.

11. I worked on a credit card mail study that was repetitious, but quite rewarding

Former Employee - Coder in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Coder in New York, NY

I worked at Mintel

Pros

Knowing about the credit card trends

Cons

Meeting monthly deadlines with an antiquated software program

Advice to Management

Recognizing the employees below management more often

RSS Feed </> Embed