Mintz Levin

Updated December 19, 2014
3.4

Bob Popeo

6 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great job for a recent college graduate

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mintz Levin

Pros

I couldn't disagree with May 2010 assessment more. Having just finished up my two years at Mintz, I can say that the PA Program has been the best first post-college job I could have hoped for. The opportunities for professional development are amazing, and you are afforded incredible freedom and responsibility in this program. I also disagree with this person's assessments of the hiring process--it is not haphazard and the people who are extended offers genuinely deserve them. I do agree that to get a rejection notice is not something to be taken personally, but for an entirely different reason: the process is incredibly competitive and selective, with only a few people joining the program nationwide each year.

This is a great program for anyone thinking of law school/a career in the legal field. Great exposure, lots of opportunity for growth and learning. You are well-supported within the firm, and have the chance to meet, work and socialize with a lot of very interesting and accomplished people. All in all, an amazing two-year experience!

Cons

Because this is a two year program, the opportunity for advancement is limited. Regardless, I found that two years provides a good period of stability post-college while allowing Analysts to better decide what their next career move will be – whether within or outside of the legal field.

Mintz Levin’s Project Analyst program is mutually beneficial for the law firm and the Analysts. Analysts provide a high level of service for a wide range of clients at an affordable rate, and Analysts gain unparalleled access to decision makers for the clients and the firm while developing skill sets that are applicable across a host of career paths.

Summer internship looks good on resume but is extremely boring experience with no value.

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits of a Mintz internship are mainly cosmetic. It definitely looks good on your resume and you will have experience working in a large, central office with impressive people. Due to the diverse practice offerings you can spin it pretty well in future interviews. Everyone is nice and the hours are low (not allowed to work over 35 without permission) so you will have no problems with work/life balance. People will be friendly to you and will respect your presence in the office. If you need help, assistants are always happy to share knowledge. The managers of the intern program are very friendly and helpful and having an attorney mentor has the potential to be a good experience depending on your match. If you want a resume booster and are very passionate about law, the internship will suffice.

Cons

You pretty much do nothing in the internship. "Floating" interns simply fill in for assistants weekly and are immediately inundated with busywork - about 2/3 are in this category. Interns in specific departments get slightly more work, but no one truly expects you to have any real impact. This is not unjustified - the qualify of hires is fairly low as people come from average academic and professional backgrounds. One hire per year comes from high school - due to the lack of any required skills, they can do the work as well as anyone. Mintz clearly hires for administrative help - the low ($13/hr) pay supports this as well. Many interns are experiencing an office for the first time and have no real skills. If you have quantitative, business or analytical skills, they are are wasted. Prior experience is never considered and interns are basically cheap assistants for the summer. The fact that you are limited at 35 hours of work tells a lot, as does the fact that most interns work for approximately 20% of that and try to look busy for the rest. If you want to actually use your brain during the summer, make a difference or develop business skills, an internship at Mintz is not right for you.

First, hire more qualified interns so the standard is higher. The interviews are far too simple and require no analytical component. It is a brief, low-level fit interview. No questions will challenge you. Hiring based off of enthusiasm results in unskilled interns. Unskilled interns produce low quality work, creating a culture where full-time employees do not respect interns. Those who are part of the program and want to actually contribute work are ignored - if you have had meaningful internship experience before, you will 100% be bored all summer. Interns could certainly contribute but have no opportunity to do so due to the existing structure.

Mintz Levin Response

Jan 2, 2015HR Manager

We are sorry to hear that you did not find your experience as a summer intern with us to be worthwhile, however, a number of our summer interns have in fact asked to return for subsequent summers and ... More

Good place to work, although paralegals didn't get substantitive work all the time.

Former Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were great, hours flexible.

Cons

No substantitive work for paralegals.

Spread the work around - so everybody stays busy.

Ups and downs

Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time

Pros

People are very nice, intelligent and hardworking. Company is very ethical. Lot of out-of-the-box legal strategizing.

Cons

Compensation was not very equitable in some of the sections. Very difficult to take time off given the billable hour requirements.

Review of Legal Assistant Position at Mintz Levin P.C.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin

Pros

For students looking for legal experience before going on to law school, Mintz Levin will provide the exact experience they're looking for. Mintz Levin does not have a lot of Legal Assistant positions, but because the number of Legal Assistants is so small, you actually get to work very closely with the lawyers and have the autonomy to make case by case decisions. I was given my own office, which is rare for Legal Assistants at other similar sized law firms.

Cons

A not so great thing about not having a big group of Legal Assistants is that it is difficult to make friends of your age within the firm. It is also difficult to meet lawyers from different departments because there aren't a lot of interoffice interactions.

The management does a good job at making sure that working at Mintz Levin is a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

Not worth your two years

Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Mintz Levin

Pros

Very little management oversight- so self drive and motivation both important. You get to gain experience conducting interviews and see the hiring process from the other side.

Cons

Typing this fast-- my apologies for any typos:

Essentially this program was a WASTE OF TIME, and had I to do it over again I would not have chosen to join. Essentially there was not very much to do, most of the work is not challenging and offers little in terms if professional growth. While every job will have certain low level tasks/ busy work, most everything is busy work here. Most of the Project Analysts who do stay busy do so only out of making work for themselves... ie. re-organizing a mailing three times in a row or drafting memos for the bi-weekly meeting that have no point. People do stuff for the sake of having anything to do. While it might be easy, which I guess is not a bad thing if you are looking to cruise for 2 years, it really found it to be a waste of time. And I cant even to begin to imagine the amount of over charging that probably goes on.

While you do get to see the other side of hiring, essentially you get to see how random the hiring is for the program. IF YOU DONT GET AN OFFER-- DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Tons of great people apply and most offers are extended on a whim. "She was nice in the elevator, she is my top choice" And most of the time, after people get offers, and accept and then end up pulling out. One year I heard they went to number 20 on the wait list because people turned them down, or withdrew after accepting. The program essentially wastes money for the firm, and they continue to reduce the number of Project Analysts, I guess there use to be 20 plus.

Every year there are also almost always 2-3 that leave before the 2 years. Sometimes even before the first year is up.... if that is not testimony to how unfulfilling the program is, I dont know what is.

I ended up leaving after a year, found another job, and now am going to b-school next year. I had to be creative coming up anything positive to say about this first job experience. If you are interested in law school there are much better programs, and ones that can make you a much stronger candidate for law school than this.

And if you do get an offer, just accept so you have a fall back option--- but do your self a favor and keep looking at other options.

This program really cant not be making the firm money. They way it is advertised during recruiting is also very misleading and the hiring process really should not be in the hands of the program.