Mintz Levin

Updated August 12, 2014

3.6

Bob Popeo

4 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great job for a recent college graduate

Current Employee - Project Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

I couldn't disagree with May 2010 assessment more. Having just finished up my two years at Mintz, I can say that the PA Program has been the best first post-college job I could have hoped for. The opportunities for professional development are amazing, and you are afforded incredible freedom and responsibility in this program. I also disagree with this person's assessments of the hiring process--it is not haphazard and the people who are extended offers genuinely deserve them. I do agree that to get a rejection notice is not something to be taken personally, but for an entirely different reason: the process is incredibly competitive and selective, with only a few people joining the program nationwide each year.

This is a great program for anyone thinking of law school/a career in the legal field. Great exposure, lots of opportunity for growth and learning. You are well-supported within the firm, and have the chance to meet, work and socialize with a lot of very interesting and accomplished people. All in all, an amazing two-year experience!

Cons

Because this is a two year program, the opportunity for advancement is limited. Regardless, I found that two years provides a good period of stability post-college while allowing Analysts to better decide what their next career move will be – whether within or outside of the legal field.

Mintz Levin’s Project Analyst program is mutually beneficial for the law firm and the Analysts. Analysts provide a high level of service for a wide range of clients at an affordable rate, and Analysts gain unparalleled access to decision makers for the clients and the firm while developing skill sets that are applicable across a host of career paths.

Ups and downs

Former Employee - Associate Attorney  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Attorney in Boston, MA

Pros

People are very nice, intelligent and hardworking. Company is very ethical. Lot of out-of-the-box legal strategizing.

Cons

Compensation was not very equitable in some of the sections. Very difficult to take time off given the billable hour requirements.

Review of Legal Assistant Position at Mintz Levin P.C.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Boston, MA

Pros

For students looking for legal experience before going on to law school, Mintz Levin will provide the exact experience they're looking for. Mintz Levin does not have a lot of Legal Assistant positions, but because the number of Legal Assistants is so small, you actually get to work very closely with the lawyers and have the autonomy to make case by case decisions. I was given my own office, which is rare for Legal Assistants at other similar sized law firms.

Cons

A not so great thing about not having a big group of Legal Assistants is that it is difficult to make friends of your age within the firm. It is also difficult to meet lawyers from different departments because there aren't a lot of interoffice interactions.

The management does a good job at making sure that working at Mintz Levin is a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth your two years

Former Employee - Project Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Very little management oversight- so self drive and motivation both important. You get to gain experience conducting interviews and see the hiring process from the other side.

Cons

Typing this fast-- my apologies for any typos:

Essentially this program was a WASTE OF TIME, and had I to do it over again I would not have chosen to join. Essentially there was not very much to do, most of the work is not challenging and offers little in terms if professional growth. While every job will have certain low level tasks/ busy work, most everything is busy work here. Most of the Project Analysts who do stay busy do so only out of making work for themselves... ie. re-organizing a mailing three times in a row or drafting memos for the bi-weekly meeting that have no point. People do stuff for the sake of having anything to do. While it might be easy, which I guess is not a bad thing if you are looking to cruise for 2 years, it really found it to be a waste of time. And I cant even to begin to imagine the amount of over charging that probably goes on.

While you do get to see the other side of hiring, essentially you get to see how random the hiring is for the program. IF YOU DONT GET AN OFFER-- DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Tons of great people apply and most offers are extended on a whim. "She was nice in the elevator, she is my top choice" And most of the time, after people get offers, and accept and then end up pulling out. One year I heard they went to number 20 on the wait list because people turned them down, or withdrew after accepting. The program essentially wastes money for the firm, and they continue to reduce the number of Project Analysts, I guess there use to be 20 plus.

Every year there are also almost always 2-3 that leave before the 2 years. Sometimes even before the first year is up.... if that is not testimony to how unfulfilling the program is, I dont know what is.

I ended up leaving after a year, found another job, and now am going to b-school next year. I had to be creative coming up anything positive to say about this first job experience. If you are interested in law school there are much better programs, and ones that can make you a much stronger candidate for law school than this.

And if you do get an offer, just accept so you have a fall back option--- but do your self a favor and keep looking at other options.

This program really cant not be making the firm money. They way it is advertised during recruiting is also very misleading and the hiring process really should not be in the hands of the program.

Worked for Mintz Levin? Contribute to the Community!