Mintz Levin

Bob Popeo

Better than Many for Staff

Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mintz Levin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsStaff is not micro-managed by management. GREAT benefits and very generous amount of PTO. Competitive (for the most part) salaries. Nice offices and Firm very accommodating to employees regarding ergonomics.

ConsCommute too long for most living outside of NYC. Firm does not shut down during extreme weather events, so staff must take PTO if they cannot make it in because of dangerous travel conditions. Forced staff to take PTO when late due to traffic delays during commute (i.e. circumstances beyond employee's control).

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider letting staff do a partial telecommute - especially during weather events.

Mediocre Experience - many staff members were great and great to work with. Some attorneys were great, some not so much

Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time for more than a year

ProsFor me the best part of working there was the location, hours (little OT if any), compensation, some really great staff. When things were busy, there was a good amount of work to keep you busy.

ConsHuman Resources needs help - not very knowledgeable on all departments in the firm. Back up system didn't make sense (people from different departments as backup; couldn't really help because they didn't have experience in the field), a revamp is very needed for HR department/administration with regards to staff. Bonuses were very few and far between. Some attorneys lacked the communication skills with their assistants....not letting them know the quality of their work until review time (no chance given to improve/change). Wasn't given the chance to advance my skills within my department regarding of my many requests...training wrong people and ignoring the ones who need/want certain to skills improve their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure office management is willing to learn the departments and what's expected of them. Hear out the assistants. Encourage attorneys to communicate with assistant work better working teams. Acknowledge employees desire for advance training within their department.

Project Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mintz Levin

ProsGood pay, good perks, nice office

Consvery bureaucratic, not great social life

Not a bad place to work...

Legal Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mintz Levin full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat co-workers, easily accessible location near Grand Central, laid back environment decent perks (such as five weeks PTO, 30 days back up daycare at Bright Horizons in Grand Central that is paid for by the firm, 401k).

ConsNo room for advancement within Company, minimal raises, small bonuses.

Great firm, nice people

I have been working at Mintz Levin full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe best thing about the firm is that despite its size, it still has a family feel. Generally people are nice and easy to work with. The firm has great values. It promotes diversity and pro bono projects.

ConsSometimes it is not clear who needs help with cases; it is sometimes hard to get work. As is true with most large firms, there are not that many partners that are women or of color.

Prestigious Program, Great Benefits, and Broad Exposure to Legal Field

Project Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Mintz Levin full-time for more than a year

Pros-->Very high level of responsibility relative to comparable legal positions.
-->Unparelleled exposure to a diverse range of law. Depending on office, this can be cleantech, corporate, litigation, consulting (ML Strategies), real estate, public finance, pro bono, immigration.
-->Self-Managed program- Ability to spearhead community service projects, handle budgetary finances of program, carry out recruiting of program after HR training
--> Positions available in great cities (Boston, NYC, or DC) all with their unique experience
--> Personal mentors
--> Above average pay relative to other entry-level legal positions.
--> Great benefits (especially vacation and holiday package)
--> Supervisors and firm very respectful of life outside of work (LSAT, GMAT, Grad School Apps, etc)
--> Top-of-the-line colleagues (PA's are often highly accomplished, recent college grads with great credentials that go on to do amazing things both in and outside of the legal profession)

Cons-->The Project Analyst program (PA) is unique in that there are few, if not zero, positions like it at law firms. Therefore, lawyers at firms might not know/understand our role at first.
-->Uneven work flow
--> No room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great job for a recent college graduate

Project Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mintz Levin

ProsI couldn't disagree with May 2010 assessment more. Having just finished up my two years at Mintz, I can say that the PA Program has been the best first post-college job I could have hoped for. The opportunities for professional development are amazing, and you are afforded incredible freedom and responsibility in this program. I also disagree with this person's assessments of the hiring process--it is not haphazard and the people who are extended offers genuinely deserve them. I do agree that to get a rejection notice is not something to be taken personally, but for an entirely different reason: the process is incredibly competitive and selective, with only a few people joining the program nationwide each year.

This is a great program for anyone thinking of law school/a career in the legal field. Great exposure, lots of opportunity for growth and learning. You are well-supported within the firm, and have the chance to meet, work and socialize with a lot of very interesting and accomplished people. All in all, an amazing two-year experience!

ConsBecause this is a two year program, the opportunity for advancement is limited. Regardless, I found that two years provides a good period of stability post-college while allowing Analysts to better decide what their next career move will be – whether within or outside of the legal field.

Advice to Senior ManagementMintz Levin’s Project Analyst program is mutually beneficial for the law firm and the Analysts. Analysts provide a high level of service for a wide range of clients at an affordable rate, and Analysts gain unparalleled access to decision makers for the clients and the firm while developing skill sets that are applicable across a host of career paths.

My experience has been good.

Legal Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Mintz Levin

ProsThe staff at Mintz are friendly and treat you with respect.

ConsThe downside of working at Mintz Levin would be the limited apportunity for advancement.

Review of Legal Assistant Position at Mintz Levin P.C.

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Mintz Levin

ProsFor students looking for legal experience before going on to law school, Mintz Levin will provide the exact experience they're looking for. Mintz Levin does not have a lot of Legal Assistant positions, but because the number of Legal Assistants is so small, you actually get to work very closely with the lawyers and have the autonomy to make case by case decisions. I was given my own office, which is rare for Legal Assistants at other similar sized law firms.

ConsA not so great thing about not having a big group of Legal Assistants is that it is difficult to make friends of your age within the firm. It is also difficult to meet lawyers from different departments because there aren't a lot of interoffice interactions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management does a good job at making sure that working at Mintz Levin is a rewarding and fulfilling experience.

Not worth your two years

Project Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Mintz Levin

ProsVery little management oversight- so self drive and motivation both important. You get to gain experience conducting interviews and see the hiring process from the other side.

ConsTyping this fast-- my apologies for any typos:

Essentially this program was a WASTE OF TIME, and had I to do it over again I would not have chosen to join. Essentially there was not very much to do, most of the work is not challenging and offers little in terms if professional growth. While every job will have certain low level tasks/ busy work, most everything is busy work here. Most of the Project Analysts who do stay busy do so only out of making work for themselves... ie. re-organizing a mailing three times in a row or drafting memos for the bi-weekly meeting that have no point. People do stuff for the sake of having anything to do. While it might be easy, which I guess is not a bad thing if you are looking to cruise for 2 years, it really found it to be a waste of time. And I cant even to begin to imagine the amount of over charging that probably goes on.

While you do get to see the other side of hiring, essentially you get to see how random the hiring is for the program. IF YOU DONT GET AN OFFER-- DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONALLY. Tons of great people apply and most offers are extended on a whim. "She was nice in the elevator, she is my top choice" And most of the time, after people get offers, and accept and then end up pulling out. One year I heard they went to number 20 on the wait list because people turned them down, or withdrew after accepting. The program essentially wastes money for the firm, and they continue to reduce the number of Project Analysts, I guess there use to be 20 plus.

Every year there are also almost always 2-3 that leave before the 2 years. Sometimes even before the first year is up.... if that is not testimony to how unfulfilling the program is, I dont know what is.

I ended up leaving after a year, found another job, and now am going to b-school next year. I had to be creative coming up anything positive to say about this first job experience. If you are interested in law school there are much better programs, and ones that can make you a much stronger candidate for law school than this.

And if you do get an offer, just accept so you have a fall back option--- but do your self a favor and keep looking at other options.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis program really cant not be making the firm money. They way it is advertised during recruiting is also very misleading and the hiring process really should not be in the hands of the program.

Worked for Mintz Levin? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mintz Levin reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mintz Levin CEO Bob Popeo. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Mintz Levin employees.