Minute Clinic

Updated November 4, 2014
2.9

Minute Clinic President Andrew Sussman
Andrew Sussman

Pros
  • Good salary with flexible scheduling (in 6 reviews)

• Good co-workers throughout district, awesome manager (though over-worked), good attempts at support, competitive pay with incentive bonus (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory weekends, holidays, and 12 hour shifts (in 3 reviews)

• Then there is the ridiculous practice of not being able to call in sick (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Problems with the view of Minute Clinic

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

1.Minute Clinic has been owned by CVS/Caremark for about 6 years. It is headquartered out of Woonsocket, RI.
    2.When you ask for an address/location, it readily identifies the person answering since there are only 2 or at most 3 people working at any one of 600 locations in the 26 states where we are employed. The location is important when discussing pay which changes by area.

Cons

3.I wish I had thought of a better way to communicate with you. These problems can not be unique to MC. Couldn't you offer a county or state option?
    4. Will write a review some other time since I have been with MC for 8 years and think it is a great place for independent nurses who like the hours and fast pace.

What an Awful Corporation...... Avoid if possible

Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a pay check.

Cons

The list is endless. These are just the highlights
     1. Cook Book Medicine- take all of you education you learned in graduate school and toss it away, as it won't be needed. There will be 3 binders for you to cook/practice from.
     2. Reviews will be based on ridiculous patient scores and absolutely no accountability from the people who review your charts. If they say you did something wrong, then you did. Even though you followed the cook book Also if you wanted to do any chronic care like order a lab other than a strep DNA probe you are sorely mistaken.
    3. Horrible schedule- be prepared to work where ever works for the company - even if 40 minutes away and yoiu drive past all of the other clinics top get to your assigned clinic for the day. Also If you like to never know where you will work next month its a great place for you.
    4. Politics- if you like to kiss up a lot then this job is perfect.
    5. Treated like a trained monkey. If you can do, registration, a history, testing, physical exam, education and collect co-pays in under 10 min- perfect. However,some how the rapid strep test or flu test take 6- 10 minutes itself I am not sure which part was omitted. Just pray the patients don't ask any questions
    6. Basic healthcare at its worst. - people on here have said evidence based practice well i will give that some of there cook books do contain EBP- however so many of the referrals and reasons you cannot see a patient have no bases in reality and make absolutely no sense let alone evidence based practice
     7. Don't get caught helping cash pay patient go to another pharmacy, even if the medications are free else where.
     8. Management- just a joke. The must all be taught how to micromanage but, if kiss up enough you might get dog bone/treat, I mean a CVS gift card.
     9. It all about the money and numbers- how many more can you see 30, 40, and one daily God willing, 50. You are just a body that can be replaced with some other unfortunate soul.
    10. Get that master degree out so you can use it as a dust pan to sweep up the floor in your windowless, fluorescent lighted cell... i meant to say office. You can also use that paper to go clean the bathrooms. I think most prisoners in jail at least get a window. (even if it had bars on it, that would be better than nothing) And also your office for some reason has a thermostat in it. It is purely just for show, it actually doesn't go to anything. It just for decoration like the vents in the ceiling are. If you are hot get a fan and if cold get a space heater that your manager supplied but are not technically allowed to have at a joint commission approved and accredited facility.Heaven forbid if you get caught with ones if the joint commission shows up because that will all fall on your head.

11. And finally even if the patients are the rudest people on earth and even though it is posted what insurances the clinic accepted be prepared to get written up or scolded at for a patient waiting 30 minutes just to be told again we don't take your type of managed medicaid plan but since you waited 30 minutes and then complained for another 30 minutes here is a CVS gift card for your time and lovely complaints.

Don't just walk away but run away from this type of numbers and money only scheme.

And all of the 5 stars ratings on this website are just the higher up management trying to lure you into a trap of good pay but horrible treatment and work life balance. Be prepared for an antidepressant with in 6 month of being hired.

Just a FYI, all of the people who were hired at the same time I was, left within 6 months.

Come to reality of what this company was intended to do: reasonably priced, high quality health care. Not a one size fit all t-shirt that fits no one to wear.

Family Nurse Practitioner

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive team, engaged managerial staff, flexible scheduling, excellent compensation and benefits, transfer and advancement opportunities, evidenced based care

Cons

There is a little learning curve for the office processes

Continue to advance and engage with NPs as always

Beware all prospective nurse practitioner appicants!!!

Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner
    Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My fellow practitioners are exceptional.

Cons

If you want to be solely evaluated based upon projected revenue as opposed to your ability to provide quality healthcare (in 11 minutes or less!) than this is the place for you to waste your time. Management is obsessed with profits and could care less about care. They are riding the Obamacare gravy train, where people are in essence, doomed to double-billing.

Quit and go to Church to ask for forgiveness.

Nice work life balance

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time

Pros

I like the work life balance ( 30 hrs is considered full time with full time benefits). My manger and co-workers as well as the store staff are great to work with and the pay is above average for my area. I like Minute Clinic's mission of providing easily accessible basic health care for common health problems, for insured and uninsured patients alike.

Cons

Narrow scope of practice. You will see many people with URI sx.

I know it is a business but there is too much emphasis on numbers of patients seen and making budget for the particular week. My clinic is 30 % over target for the year, but was quieter than expected for approx 3 weeks this summer. I received a lot of pressure to bring the numbers up again right away and that made me feel like the overall success of the clinic is not appreciated.

Typically too busy in a box with miserable monotony and restrictive rules of practice

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Columbia, SC

I worked at Minute Clinic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers throughout district, awesome manager (though over-worked), good attempts at support, competitive pay with incentive bonus. CVS employees were generally very receptive and good to work with. Guidelines are straight-forward, good access to support documents/links/etc. through computer. Patients are generally appreciative of the care model and convenience. Insurance process is pretty smooth once you get the hang of it.

Cons

I floated to many clinics in the district. In a busy clinic, very difficult to get a break, and patients do not understand when you leave the clinic for a break or lunch - I wouldn't mention it, but it happens a lot - they get upset, stare you down, etc, despite being informed verbally and via computer kiosk. Extremely difficult to work in a box all day without windows or interaction more than the routine exams that you do for 10+ hours each day. They talk about being innovative and changing healthcare...yes, but read that as lots of computer e-learning. Difficult to keep up with at times. Incentive bonus is set pretty high and is closely linked with patient satisfaction, and statistically speaking, unhappy people are more vocal than happy people (just read this forum!). Very limited scope of practice, and I agree with others that some things you can't see are frustrating for you and patients - and learning what you CANNOT see takes some time. There is a place for this type of medicine, but you must ask if restricting your scope significantly is for you or not. Think colds, sore throats, ears, and shots - that probably sums up 85% of your day. You are a one-person show. You have to justify why you clock out late, even if it is because you had a heavy load and had to clean and settle up only after closing.

The incentive bonus bar is set a little high to really be an incentive (to actually make a "bonus"). Make it much more well-known what you can and cannot treat so that patients will understand (the kiosk upgrades have helped some). People do not like to wait (a long time sometimes) to find out they can't be treated. You *have* to create a better exam room environment - put a window in, or a minimum, a line of site to a window, not just one if you stand on a chair and peer over the diapers! The exam rooms need to be just a little bigger - even 1 foot deeper would be helpful. You cannot use the trash, open drawers, etc. without asking the patient or family to move or lean out of the way.

Tons of very good paychecks.

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time

Pros

I like to work by myself. If there is something I don't feel comfortable with, I'm not forced to treat it and jeopardize my license or integrity like when I worked in a private practice. I simply refer them out. You make your own schedule, and work 30-35 hours a week and still get full time benefits. If you want to have a baby, maternity leave can be up to 18 weeks (some of that unpaid, but whatever you can save up). All in all, Ive been here 14 months and am paying off student loans at a very fast rate.

Cons

Some clinics are extremely busy-you are paid the same as a person who works in a very slow clinic. Since I am in a busier one, I get exhausted at the end of an 11 hour day. However you do get a bonus based on productivity. It is a business and they do want you to see as many patients in a day as possible.

Don't make the bonus quite so hard to get, I work my tail off and better be getting the 10 G!

overworked and under appreciated

Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Greenville, SC
    Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Greenville, SC

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work 3 to 4 day a week

Cons

work every other weekend, patients are ungrateful and rude if they have to wait to be seen

switch back to every third weekend and do not base raises on patient satisfaction, this is proven to influence care that is not evidence based

Good company

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Minute Clinic part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company rewards hard working individuals. Good place to work if you like to be independent, and zero office politics.

Cons

Retail atmosphere. Computers very slow, with lots of glitches.

Excellent company

Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent support of your clinical skills. We are challenged to assess and if comfortable treat patients even if outside of Guidelines (All guidelines are well researched and evidence based). As a company our care is very high in that we are supported if we don't hand out antibiotics like candy. Management is very supportive, excellent and supports our growth. This is an incredible concept and we are making such a difference in so many peoples lives that need health care.

Cons

It is a challenge to keep up with all the changes, but we are growing so much in both scope of practice and number of clinics it is reasonable there will be changes.

Continue to support your provider in the chair as you do. I appreciate that you are committed to networking with so many of the NP organizations -as Minute Clinic is the largest employer of Nurse Practitioners in the country.