Minute Clinic Reviews

Reset
2.9
Minute Clinic President Andrew Sussman
Andrew Sussman

Pros
  • Good salary with flexible scheduling (in 6 reviews)

• You make your own schedule, and work 30-35 hours a week and still get full time benefits (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Mandatory weekends, holidays, and 12 hour shifts (in 3 reviews)

• The working conditions are fair, you work approx 10 hours per day in a windowless room, many with poor temperature control (in 4 reviews)

1. Minute Clinic

Current Employee - FNP in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - FNP in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, Weekend hours are shorter, possibility for transfer to other clinics in the country

Cons

mandatory call shifts which are not always easy to schedule and may require a much longer commute than that to your home clinic

Advice to Management

no issues, managers are readily available for concerns and handle them efficiently despite large workload, try to balance schedule fairly with everyone's needs in mind and to cover clinics

2. Stay away!

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

semi-flexible scheduling, autonomy, pay, pto

Cons

every other weekend, additional call on weekends, schedule completely dependent upon business needs of the state, nothing is set in stone, managers are unavailable as they tend to the "more important" business needs, patients are extremely rude when you take a lunch break or close at the end of the day

Advice to Management

Care about the NPs and PAs that are doing all of the day to day difficult work. We are Master's and Doctorate trained professionals and are treated like children.

3. NEVER AGAIN!

Former Employee - APRN in Coventry, CT
    Former Employee - APRN in Coventry, CT

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work alone, chocolate is always nearby, good networking among providers

Cons

mopping, emptying trash cans, inventory, follow protocols - no independent decision making, vengeful regional manager, poorly trained management, upselling

Advice to Management

MORE COMPASSION, lead by example, better oversight of regional managers

5. I wish I could give 3.5 stars

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time

Pros

Great support, training, and communications. Very organized--helps make the job easy.

Cons

Working weekends. Also the on-call schedule is brutal--almost always called in.

Advice to Management

Reduce the weekend/on call requirements.

6. A Machine

Current Employee - ARNP
    Current Employee - ARNP

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

Decent compensation and benefits package

Cons

Employment with MC is the epitome of a corporate America job. Scheduling requires you to work every other weekend and take additional weekend on call days. Employee concerns are met with indifference or even retribution from managers. On the corporate and regional level, significant rule changes regarding scheduling requirements and PTO requests change almost monthly and typically without warning or regard for how this affects employee needs such as procuring childcare or quality of life.
    Recently, a "clinic care team" model was adapted for each clinic. This requires 2 employees to cover the 7 days a week each clinic is open without utilizing any floats. If your partner takes time off, you're working it for them! Additionally, you must do this without going into overtime, which makes anyone taking more than a couple days off in a single week impossible. What's more is that if you're the vacationer, upon your return, you have to pick up enough of your partner's hours to prevent the going into overtime. By the time you've covered this, if you were to log your on PTO, you yourself would be in overtime, so you can't. Effectively, this model prevent you from taking all but rare days of true PTO.

Advice to Management

View your employees as people.

7. Advanced Practice Nurse

Former Employee - Retired NP - Earlier Than I Planned in Wyckoff, NJ
    Former Employee - Retired NP - Earlier Than I Planned in Wyckoff, NJ

I worked at Minute Clinic

Pros

Very professional colleagues who are supportive and available. Was nice to practice in an autonomous environment. Store staff supportive and empathetic. Very rewarding to develop relationships with clients who became regulars.

Cons

Company as a whole is retail-oriented instead of medically oriented. Numbers of clients seen is uppermost in culture, with number one emphasis being bringing in patients as opposed to providing quality care. When clinics become successful additiional support for the quantity of clients seen is not provided. Providers work in what is essentially a large closet and, if clinic is successful you work in this closet for hours with llittle opportunity to go to the bathroom, hydrate or just take a "time-out". Management is not acccessible or responsive. If you become ill - which is inevitable when you see large numbers of sick patients in a small "closet" management expects you to contact your own coverage or work while you are sick. Little to no opportunity to advance. While store staff is supportive they are not medical professionals.

Advice to Management

Take back your profession and support Nurse Practitioners!! The concept of Retail Health will be an attractive option for Nurse Practitioners only if we listen to each other and support each other. We are health care professionals, not store employees. I know that CVS signs your paychecks but after all, management, you too are NPs. Act like NPs, llisten to your NPs, promote your NPs.

8. Not As Bad As You Think

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good salary and benefits.
    -Cash bonuses for meeting or exceeding patient quota. No penalty if you don't.
    -Good schedule if you have an assigned home clinic. (See cons)
    -Nice discounts with many companies due to working for CVS.
    -You have to work weekends, but that's not unusual for health care workers. It's not an issue with me due to the shorter hours on the weekend. You still get to get out and enjoy your weekend after work.

Over all, I like working for MinuteClinic. I see myself working there for years to come, unless something better comes along of course.

Cons

If you don't have a home clinic and have to float, you could be driving up to 45 minutes to work. You should be told this during the interview.

Can be difficult to get PTO and CME days due to staffing.

Some managers will try to cover their own tails and push you under the bus. Know how to stand up for yourself and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

I know this can be a tough business, but be there for your employees all the time and you'll get loyalty in return

Minute Clinic APRN - some good, maybe more bad

Current Employee - APRN in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - APRN in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

Pays well

Low stress if you don't get into the work politics

At the end of the day, you are finished when you leave

Can work minimum of 30 hrs/week and be full time

The only JCAHO accredited retail health setting in the area.

Upper management (not at the state level- more corporate) has a great vision for the future.

Cons

Poor management in the KCMO market- managers with no experience or training as managers, or for that matter , very little experience as NPs really; they are lazy and provide very little support to the providers, which is supposed to be one of the main functions of this position

Won't be practicing to the full extent of the NP scope.

Holidays and weekends

There's not a lot of career growth opportunities unless there happens to be a management position that opens up.

The health insurance is not very good compared to what you can get working in some of the local health systems (minus HCA- theirs is worse).

Advice to Management

CPMs- do your job of supporting the provider

SPM- don't hire your friends and let them get away with not working, they will bring you down

Upper management- the local managers here have too much autonomy; stop hiring such inexperienced managers, the whole market is suffering from their immaturity

Not a forever job

Current Employee - APRN in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - APRN in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

1. Good salary
    2. Hires new grads
    3. For new grads, the book of MC guidelines can be helpful
    4. Pays for DEA and has a yearly CME allowance

Cons

1. Long hours
    2. Mandatory one hour unpaid lunch break
    3. Mandatory every other weekend shifts
    4. Open holidays
    5. High turnover rate
    6. Very isolating to work by yourself all day, especially in a slower clinic with no windows
    7. Not easy to get time off
    8. May have to drive up to an hour to cover another clinic
    9. No sense of team, barely even have met all the other NPs
    10. Basically mandatory meetings every 2 months for 2+ hours on Sunday nights (often after working all day)
    11. Pressure to see as many patients as possible and the amount seen at your clinic is essentially your responsibility
    12. Chart reviews are done on a percentage of your charts through email- difficult to deal with some because there is no tone in email and feels like you are getting reprimanded, even if you accidentally say you used a blood pressure cuff that was not the best fit

Advice to Management

1. Decrease amount of weekends
    2. Pay us for lunch or allow us to take 30 minutes
    3. Help to increase positivity on the team, make us feel good about the work we are doing
    4. Not necessary to open so many clinics on holidays

I like it.

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work alone. I know it is clean because I cleaned it. I know where and what there is for stock & supplies because I ordered/received and organized them. 13 different staff members haven't already ruined my day before I see a single patient. There is no stack of work awaiting me on my desk (virtual or paper) that will take another two hours to complete. There are no poorly taken notes (virtual or paper) left by a triage nurse that fail to ask pertinent questions and therefore necessitate a call to the patient when it could have been done in a helpful manor the call for more information could have been eliminated. There are no drug reps. There are no mandatory pre work day, lunch, or post work meetings that mid levels seem to have to attend but no one else. There are no mandatory committees that suck your wil to live. There is no one passing you in the hall with a piece of cake on a plate having come from an hour break that you do not get because 'you are a provider'. There is no improperly set up procedure room for the procedure you specifically communicated to the MA that would be taking place. There is no wondering why your MA is sitting on Facebook on a computer tucked away out of the patient care area while you are hands deep in need of an XL speculum trying to figure out how to get one now. There is no comaining to management about ineffective unhelpful support staff only to be told those staff are the 'best' at what they do. There is NO double or triple booming of a single time slot. The clinic has an Open and a specific
    CLOSING time; I am expected to work only inbetween these specific times. I am expected to take an hour off clock off work lunch break on weekdays and 30 minutes on weekends. I am expected to spend whatever amount of time is appropriate for the problem I am addressing. If it is a cold, I have time to actually explain this process. All patients sign up and have the expectation they will be waiting their turn. They do this with much less fuss than my experience was with ALL my patients having an appointment time that could never be met basically because in this universe (so far) there are not three 1:15's. I do not have to diagnose/educate/write for/manage/treat a previously missing to healthcare individual who has need for immediate management of insulin dependent diabetes, hypertension, Hypercholesterolemia, decreased renal function and chronic low back pain in 15 minutes. (But, I do get 15 minutes or if I like 20 minutes, to fully explain a cold and appropriate treatment plan and expected clinical course for said ailment).
    The drug seekers handbook (and we always suspected there was one) clearly states that MC does not prescribe controlled substances!! What was once 30-40% of my day... Now, I can say in six years... Probably 6 visits like this per YEAR. They don't waste their time. Like I said. MC has made the handbook as a DO NOT BOTHER.

Cons

People can freak out or be cranky and there is no one else to manage their emotion or dilute it. Just you. So, either you learn from each experience on how to manage sick people's frustration at wait time or not getting an antibiotic or you getting an actual break or you decide this isn't for you. You are in a work environment that does not want you to throw an antibiotic at colds and bronchitis and non strep sore throats. Well, everyone here is antibiotic seeking. So were you last time you had what you knew was a cold. They are miserable and we are all prone to magical thinking and seeking a quick fix. You have the time to explain why an antibiotic isn't necessary in a way people can accept and understand. If you do not wish to perfect this skill and find this one interaction bothersome. Do not work here.

Advice to Management

Allow busy sites some control over their sign ins at two increments throughout the day so that administrative duties can be performed. I see that our busy sites are in chronic disorganized states and this makes the day intolerable. Anxiety over getting call backs, labs, ordering, stocking done before closing makes distracts from patient care (mentally) and because we are all committed to patient care.. Guess what does not get done? (Yes, the very things that must be done to have an effective work environment). I float to sites that are so awful, they are the busiest sites & in general the worst supplies and dreadfully haphazardly organized and not clean to my standard (and probably not yours either) with out dated supplies and tests without controls because the provider is providing endless patient care. (While I know this is the company goal, to maximize quality care & have us doing mostly patient care). However in my time here I know that the support duties I must do are vital to a functional site from day to day. And if unable to complete them they build to a level such that they become unable to be done at all- which is an awful emotional and physical space to be in every day. These sites have the highest staff turn over and lowest provider satisfaction and tend to then be staffed by the newcomer in wait for a better 'home site' to come around. This the continued burn out, trial by fire, loss of what otherwise would have been a great team member from the company all together. Continued disorganization at that site. It is a loop that feeds upon itself. This must be addressed as this is how we initiate all our new staff it seems. An awful thing for a new grad who has not experienced the awfulness of a different clinic environment will leave not knowing that at a middle of the road site is pretty much perfect. There is perfection to be had here but we must work on being kind to slow and obnoxiously busy sites to make staff willing to work there for the long term. I believe this is my nirvana. I'd like to see other's find it too. Based upon my pro's & con's one can tell I came from a previously VERY bad clinic experience so I've been committed to finding my way through to nirvana. I was tenacious and did not let a great many things turn me off of MC. I'd like to see us do better.

RSS Feed </> Embed