Minute Clinic Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Can be a great job, depends on your lifestyle and goals.

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

-flexible scheduling
    -bonuses (that don't necessarily reflect your abilities, but rather just the luck of the clinic you're in).

Cons

-working every other weekend
    -you must work out a schedule that's dependent and opposite of someone else's
    -patients can get very agitated with long waits

Great job for a new grad

Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner
    Current Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Guidelines to help you wade through the sea of clinical decision making. Medical director a phone call away if you need help.

Cons

Isolated environment can be a little lonely. Kiosk used for patient sign in can be very challenging to use especially for elderly patients. Lots of extra responsibilities like cleaning, stocking, checking pts in and out, dealing with insurance and payment issues, marketing of the clinic with no real guidance on how to do so.

Advice to Management

Great concept to provide cost effective care with minimal waste. Take into consideration all the extra duties placed on providers and be more flexible with visit times and clocking out at night. After a busy day with pts back to back, it can be difficult to clock out on time and get everything done. Maybe leave 30 min at the end of shift to finish up? Sometimes the last patient of the day runs late and then providers are forced to clock out and work off the clock to finish up. Teach providers how to market the clinic. We are held accountable for the success or failure if the clinic but not really taught how to market. It's a tough predicament to be responsible for something I'm not trained to do.

Retail health

Current Employee - FNP in Avon, CT
    Current Employee - FNP in Avon, CT

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

Good benefits, hires new grads. Independent work environment. potential for management and growth. Plenty of over time

Cons

This job offers a limited scope of practice. Small work area. Work alone at site. Must find your own replacement if sick or need time off.

Advice to Management

In this region it is difficult to get any time off. Weekends are scheduled 1 year in advance.

The pros do not outweigh the cons

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally it is easy to get ahold of the managers and physicians on call. It is nice to only work 3-4 days per week. The other nurse practitioners in the district are nice and helpful. It can be nice to work by yourself, you are kind of "the boss" so to speak.

Cons

Well first off, they talk a good game when you get hired in but you quickly realize that everything isn't as it seems. I was hired as a float and was promised a home clinic within 3 months. They told me I'd be reimbursed for my mileage which never happened. I would send in the completed forms to the manager and they'd just disappear. They'd pull me all over the districts, sometimes I'd be driving 90 minutes to get to work. They also play favorites in terms of who gets better locations. If there was a sick call on my scheduled shift and there was an oncall person, they'd move me from a clinic close to my house to cover the sick call an hour away and let the oncall person stay at their home clinic. When I am oncall, I don't get a choice, I have to drive to whatever clinic that sick call came from.

As for the workload, sometimes it can be maddening. At some clinics, it's not unusual to see 50 patients in a shift. And people get mad. They'll knock on the door and interrupt the current visit. If you don't answer it, they'll call corporate and then you'll get reamed for not checking on the patient because "there might have been an emergency". You have to answer the phone while doing sick visits which can be hell. The managers never take care of calls, they just forward it to you to take care of it. Sometimes they call for really unimportant things that you have no control over, just to shame you "so you're aware of the situation and can avoid it next time". Sometimes patients will get verbally abusive when they realize that you are closed on heaven forbid, you need to take a lunch or use the bathroom.

Another issue is the scope of practice. I started off at this job as a new grad and the guidelines were comforting. However, as I've continued to work at Minute Clinic, I've felt so restricted by guidelines. You can't even write for steroids for a wheezy person with bronchitis without calling the physician on call. Now, we're also doing these complete health reviews and we're not allowed to document that a patient has diabetes or tell them that they have diabetes even though they fit the criteria to be diabetic (high HgA1c and fasting blood sugar). I find this morally wrong. CVS simply wants the money generated by doing the exam but doesn't want to shoulder any possible lawsuit regarding treatment.

The benefits, especially the health insurance, are a joke. For one person, the premiums are almost $2500 a year not including the $750 deductible. If you go to a lower tier plan, you're paying $1500 in premiums but your deductible is $5000. If you want insurance for yourself and a spouse, forget about it, the premiums are over $7000 a year.

Also, it can be really difficult to ever get vacation time. You accumulate it at a snail's pace but you basically have to find coverage for your shift or do some fancy switching with other providers in the district to make it happen. Only the manager seem to be able to take vacations.

Advice to Management

Make the bonus something realistic. The bonuses are in a tiered system and getting the highest bonus is literally impossible, you'd have to see at least 75 patients a day every day.
    Hire more per diem staff so providers can actually take vacation time.

It's Ok

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time

Pros

Good salary
    Gift card given every quarter
    Helpful coworkers and managers when it comes to answering questions.

Cons

-Slow EMR and out dated browsers and old computers (this hopefully will be changing soon due to new EMR coming out)

-Benefits are ok, but expensive

-Sometimes employees are short on hours and have to beg managers for extra shifts.

-Slow PTO accrual, and its always a long drawn out process to get your PTO.

-Only 40 hours of PTO roll over to the next year.

Advice to Management

Make sure that your employees get the hours that they are promised.
    Don't make promises you can't keep.

7. Problems with the view of Minute Clinic

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

1.Minute Clinic has been owned by CVS/Caremark for about 6 years. It is headquartered out of Woonsocket, RI.
    2.When you ask for an address/location, it readily identifies the person answering since there are only 2 or at most 3 people working at any one of 600 locations in the 26 states where we are employed. The location is important when discussing pay which changes by area.

Cons

3.I wish I had thought of a better way to communicate with you. These problems can not be unique to MC. Couldn't you offer a county or state option?
    4. Will write a review some other time since I have been with MC for 8 years and think it is a great place for independent nurses who like the hours and fast pace.

What an Awful Corporation...... Avoid if possible

Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a pay check.

Cons

The list is endless. These are just the highlights
     1. Cook Book Medicine- take all of you education you learned in graduate school and toss it away, as it won't be needed. There will be 3 binders for you to cook/practice from.
     2. Reviews will be based on ridiculous patient scores and absolutely no accountability from the people who review your charts. If they say you did something wrong, then you did. Even though you followed the cook book Also if you wanted to do any chronic care like order a lab other than a strep DNA probe you are sorely mistaken.
    3. Horrible schedule- be prepared to work where ever works for the company - even if 40 minutes away and yoiu drive past all of the other clinics top get to your assigned clinic for the day. Also If you like to never know where you will work next month its a great place for you.
    4. Politics- if you like to kiss up a lot then this job is perfect.
    5. Treated like a trained monkey. If you can do, registration, a history, testing, physical exam, education and collect co-pays in under 10 min- perfect. However,some how the rapid strep test or flu test take 6- 10 minutes itself I am not sure which part was omitted. Just pray the patients don't ask any questions
    6. Basic healthcare at its worst. - people on here have said evidence based practice well i will give that some of there cook books do contain EBP- however so many of the referrals and reasons you cannot see a patient have no bases in reality and make absolutely no sense let alone evidence based practice
     7. Don't get caught helping cash pay patient go to another pharmacy, even if the medications are free else where.
     8. Management- just a joke. The must all be taught how to micromanage but, if kiss up enough you might get dog bone/treat, I mean a CVS gift card.
     9. It all about the money and numbers- how many more can you see 30, 40, and one daily God willing, 50. You are just a body that can be replaced with some other unfortunate soul.
    10. Get that master degree out so you can use it as a dust pan to sweep up the floor in your windowless, fluorescent lighted cell... i meant to say office. You can also use that paper to go clean the bathrooms. I think most prisoners in jail at least get a window. (even if it had bars on it, that would be better than nothing) And also your office for some reason has a thermostat in it. It is purely just for show, it actually doesn't go to anything. It just for decoration like the vents in the ceiling are. If you are hot get a fan and if cold get a space heater that your manager supplied but are not technically allowed to have at a joint commission approved and accredited facility.Heaven forbid if you get caught with ones if the joint commission shows up because that will all fall on your head.

11. And finally even if the patients are the rudest people on earth and even though it is posted what insurances the clinic accepted be prepared to get written up or scolded at for a patient waiting 30 minutes just to be told again we don't take your type of managed medicaid plan but since you waited 30 minutes and then complained for another 30 minutes here is a CVS gift card for your time and lovely complaints.

Don't just walk away but run away from this type of numbers and money only scheme.

And all of the 5 stars ratings on this website are just the higher up management trying to lure you into a trap of good pay but horrible treatment and work life balance. Be prepared for an antidepressant with in 6 month of being hired.

Just a FYI, all of the people who were hired at the same time I was, left within 6 months.

Advice to Management

Come to reality of what this company was intended to do: reasonably priced, high quality health care. Not a one size fit all t-shirt that fits no one to wear.

Beware all prospective nurse practitioner appicants!!!

Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner
    Former Employee - Family Nurse Practitioner

I worked at Minute Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My fellow practitioners are exceptional.

Cons

If you want to be solely evaluated based upon projected revenue as opposed to your ability to provide quality healthcare (in 11 minutes or less!) than this is the place for you to waste your time. Management is obsessed with profits and could care less about care. They are riding the Obamacare gravy train, where people are in essence, doomed to double-billing.

Advice to Management

Quit and go to Church to ask for forgiveness.

10. Family Nurse Practitioner

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive team, engaged managerial staff, flexible scheduling, excellent compensation and benefits, transfer and advancement opportunities, evidenced based care

Cons

There is a little learning curve for the office processes

Advice to Management

Continue to advance and engage with NPs as always

Nice work life balance

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time

Pros

I like the work life balance ( 30 hrs is considered full time with full time benefits). My manger and co-workers as well as the store staff are great to work with and the pay is above average for my area. I like Minute Clinic's mission of providing easily accessible basic health care for common health problems, for insured and uninsured patients alike.

Cons

Narrow scope of practice. You will see many people with URI sx.

Advice to Management

I know it is a business but there is too much emphasis on numbers of patients seen and making budget for the particular week. My clinic is 30 % over target for the year, but was quieter than expected for approx 3 weeks this summer. I received a lot of pressure to bring the numbers up again right away and that made me feel like the overall success of the clinic is not appreciated.

RSS Feed </> Embed