Miovision Technologies

4.3

Kurtis McBride

Love the breadth of Technologies

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is super interesting, computer vision, machine learning, front/ backend server development and embedded systems. The management team encourages us to move across technologies to gain breadth and depth.
    We are actually empowered. I love the ability to have a significant impact in the direction the company takes.

Cons

Given the empowerment culture there are times when it is uncomfortable as developers that we need to set direction. There a lot to do and we need more people.

Keep driving the culture (Empowerment, Passion for success). Keep on only hiring top people.

Ability to have a positive impact on the traffic industry

Former Employee - Software Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I worked at Miovision Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits

Multiple company social events throughout the year

Coworkers are fun, friendly and approachable across the organization

Management is open about company status, goals, and vision

Good work/life balance except for Media Processing department due to the nature of their work

An open, “empowered” culture but change is slow and still rooted in tradition

Cons

Took management over four years to acknowledge and allocate resources to fix existing technical issues and inefficiencies in a cohesive manner which has led the company to stagnate *temporarily*

Similarly, website and internal tools are dated and have not received enough investment for quality and usability

Mentorship is given lip service but still lacking and rare for professional development opportunities

HR policy of operational plans for individual contributors are worthless as managers do not work with you towards completion of goals and the company frequently changes focus

Projects are seemingly randomly selected and rarely have measurable success criteria defined

Too much effort and focus on company profitability and R&D of new products instead of investing in current products and services the generate revenue

Struggles trying to do too many different things. All for good motivations but can stretch resources too thin

Very limited resources, company hires too slowly

Like any job, you may be told about one role, but doesn’t mean you will be in the role when you actually start working. They put you where they need you, not necessarily what you were hired for

Help the company grow faster!
    1) Salary still is low
    2) Invest more into your employees, provide and encourage more professional development
    3) Invest more into the new software platform and ensure you migrate off old legacy systems as they are holding the company back
    4) Hire more software developers to execute on the big ideas faster

Great Place to Work!

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Miovision is a great place to work. Generally speaking the people at Miovision are humble and great to work with. This attitude of humility starts from the top down. The management really values the employees and they do everything they can to "get out of the way" and allow people to succeed. No micro-management here: employees are given the room to make decisions and collaborate. People work hard at Miovision but only because they want to and because they love what they do and not because they are forced to. The management understands and respects work/life balance. The company has now committed itself to hiring only great people and the company invests in the development and happiness of employees. The industry Miovision works in is very interesting and practical and there are lots of really challenging problems to solve. The growth potential of this company is astounding. In a year or two this company will be one of the most in-demand places to work in the area (if it isn't already).

Cons

Miovision is still a young and growing company in the midst of a transition. The ramifications of this is that things are still in flux. Change is a constant at Miovision. The empowered culture is a fantastic thing but for people who are not self-directed Miovision would not be a comfortable place to work.

Continue the transition: the direction you are heading is the right direction. Stay true to your company values. Do not hire someone unless they are a "great" person. It is better to constrain growth until you can fill the empty seats with the "right" people. Stay focused!

Can't think of another company I'd work for in the area

Current Employee - Product and Marketing in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product and Marketing in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down it's the culture and the people. This company doesn't just post it's core values on the walls; it lives and breathes them everyday. Get to work with top talent and passionate people in an environment where senior management works hard to empower us to make the calls; set our plan and GSD to keep this rocket ship growing. The experiences I've had at Miovision have put my career on steroids.

Cons

Empowerment and engagement can on some days come with it's challenges. Everyone is so passionate and success oriented that we sometimes forget to take time to celebrate wins or objectively check-in on work-life-balance.

Keep up the great work. Keep investing in an inspiring roadmap. Keep the flywheel spinning on this awesome culture by continuing to hire great people. Let's keep working on getting our goals crystal clear and remember to celebrate with some enthusiasm when we achieve them before moving on to the next one.

Computer vision powerhouse

Current Employee - Computer Vision Architect in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Computer Vision Architect in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great team, engaging work, empowered work environment, ability to learn from others and grow skillsets, great benefits, supports the community, no politics, never complacent.

Cons

need to continue expanding the team sizes so we can tackle even larger problems

Great culture, cool tech, world affecting problems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The culture is great, and continues to improve
    - Compensation is competitive
    - Solving problems that affect everyone (traffic congestion, safety, environmental impact)
    - I feel that my contributions make a big impact to the company, and to the world

Cons

- The "empowered culture" is not for everyone. It sure sounds great, but it isn't for everyone (I personally love it).
    - Some legacy code bases need to be updated - this is in progress, but can still be a drag at times
    - Company has grand visions on changing the world (which is good), but I feel this needs to be broken into "bite sized pieces" to have a bigger impact on culture

It has been a pleasure to be part of a startup that was started in a basement and has grown to this point. Please keep it up! I really appreciate that management is always working to improve the company culture, compensation, perks, etc. When I first started, not all of these things were in order, but as the company has created more means, it has worked hard to correct many of the indescrepences relative to market. Keep hiring great / experienced people / leaders.

Media Processing Specialist

Current Employee - Media Processing Specialist in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Media Processing Specialist in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Miovision Technologies part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good enviroment, free snacks and coffee/tea

Cons

never got promotion
    company is not well organized, tools using for the business is not optimised, many bugs with the software.

accept innovative advice.

Good people, introspective company.

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Most people who work here buy in to what the company is doing, and are motivated to get things right.
    - The are no 'walls' in the org structure. If you have a question you can bug anyone about it.
    - Culture is important.

Cons

- Sometimes lessons have been learned the hard way. A little more foresight + being aware of the big picture would go a long way.
    - Clumsy processes and tools are used in more than a few cases across the company. Doing things by the book doesn't always work.

Sound engineering judgement trumps intuition every time and in almost all things. Short term, long term, whatever.

Good atmosphere, surrounded by people who care

I worked at Miovision Technologies as an intern

Pros

-Non monetary perks
    -laid back atmosphere
    -no dress code
    -talented workforce
    -flexible hours

Cons

-several employees put in long hours meaning that you feel bad leaving early

A fun & innovated place to work, with enormous growth opportunities.

Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Kitchener, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Kitchener, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Miovision Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- This company will be the next big thing. The Leaders of Miovision don’t want to just make it in the traffic industry, they want to dominate it! and they’re developing the structure (in people and systems) that can do it. Everyone here, in every department, is motivated, driven, and passionate about their work. It’s part of our culture and it’s one of the things that make this company great.

- You won’t ever find people pointing fingers when things go wrong, you’ll only find them pointing to solutions.

Cons

- This company is still growing and we don’t have processes in place for everything. When situations arise you may need to innovate your own solutions, rather than following a standard procedure. Some people may find this a con, although for most of the people at Miovision, it’s the challenges that drive us.

- Keep doing what you’re doing. Invest in your people and make sure they clearly understand your vision. We’ll unblock the obstacles as they arise, as long as we know where we’re heading.