Mirantis

Adrian Ionel

Exciting place to work

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* VERY hot technology
    * Company is committed to the philosophy of open source
    * Deep bench of technically strong colleagues
    * Unlimited PTO
    * Free catered lunch 2 days/wk
    * Competitive compensation package

Cons

No caltrain reimbursement
    Health insurance is just average
    Some challenges with the language barrier (lots of Russians with varying proficiency in English)

Keep up the good work.

Growing company with interesting projects.

I have been working at Mirantis full-time

Pros

Mirantis provides experience of international communications, participating in interesting projects, good atmosphere in the office and in company at all. Company is growing, so there is a chance still to get some career opportunities.

Cons

Some mess in management sometimes.

Nice intensively growing company

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Mirantis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a fun job in a really friendly atmosphere. Working schedule is pretty flexible unless you have meeting with Russian/Ukrainian teams at 8am. You can do those from home though.

Cons

There is no clear policy regarding bonuses/promotions and management is clearly not ready to meet employees asking for a raise. That does not mean that you would never get a bonus or a promotion, but this process is pretty much uncontrollable.

Mirantis is growing. Keep on and well done :)

Great team spirit, lots of excellent technical people, often challenging, but in a good way!

Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Cloud Architect in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A great team of skilled and experienced Cloud engineers and technologists awaits. Due to the wide variety of customers and partners, acquiring new skills and knowledge is the way of life at Mirantis. The company is still small enough that you can see you really are making an impact and that you can be noticed by management. The team spirit and atmosphere are great.

Cons

The language barrier can be challenging at times, also meetings with other offices in the company often happen very early/late. This is mitigated by a lot of helpful colleagues, though. Pressure can be high at times.

Tech startup

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities - growing funded tech startup

Cons

Very disoranized and chaotic, lack of clear direction and strategy on middle and low levels

Great start-up

I have been working at Mirantis full-time

Pros

OpenStack innovator and developer. Working hard to develop solid products in an open-source world. Many employees very good technically.

Cons

Struggling to provide good benefits. People in management have not had management training. Lack of opportunity to develop professional skills.

Any good company invests in its people

Fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Mirantis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

* Solid vision, product focus (Be the premier solution for organizations seeking OpenStack expertise, guidance and support)

* Clear leadership toward that focus (Appropriate funding, staffing, sales and R&D to support the vision)

* Exceptional HR support (Avaialble, thoughtful and AGILE HR)

* Actively setting an appropriate corporate culture (Really thinking about hte things that make an employee want to work here; while they are small and can't provide Facebook and Google Cafeterias: they do provide snacks, food, lunches, events that for their relative size are great. They are very considerate of the diversity of families and individuals and provide flexible work options)

* Allow for your desired workstation of choice - you spec it.

Overall - its a very good company that recognizes what it takes to set themselves aside in SV and accomodate quality talent.

Their only barrier to growth is the spped at which they can attract quality talent.

The barriers to entry on massively scaled private and public cloud infra is almost eliminated with the use of Mirantis technology and services. There are so many that could benefit from deploying their own "AWS" level-quality infrastructure with a massive support base in such a short period.

If you see dev-ops and IT-ops as commoditizing over the next few years, where a small, highly effective team can build massively scalable infrastructure extraordinarliy quickly so long as they are backed by world-class guidance and support -- then you can see the value Mirantis provides.

Some if the projects in the pipeline, should they be awarded and successful will be major milestones on the open source cloud history timeline.

Come be a part of this.

Cons

As an employee commuting from the East bay who despises driving, the only downside to Mirantis thus far is that public transit via caltrain is difficult.

There is competition for the professional services that Mirantis offers - but no other competitor provides a tool as useful as Fuel.

Companies like Facebook and Google will draw talent toward their closed, proprietary platforms. If you REALLY support the idea of OpenCompute then you should get some experience deplying OpenStack via Mirantis as you would not suffer from the myopic view of how a behemoth focuses on themselves.

Please provide incentive to take public transit to the office. Taking Bart/Caltrain costs upwards of $400/month to come to the office daily.

Make sure you do your homework

I worked at Mirantis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Technically it is a very interesting place to work.

Cons

English is not the primary language in the office. Communication is very poor. My manager did not speak to me for the first month or more I was there and wouldn't respond to my email. Managers in general seemed to be very, very inexperienced. There was a distinct lack of understanding of American labor laws and almost all the management was not American.

I would say at least 80% of the staff or more when I was there was off-shore. I was surprised at how few people were actually here. That was never disclosed when i interviewed. I suspect because again, management is inexperienced and didn't realize what candidates should know and be prepared for. It's not that that fact in and of itself is something to be hidden but it should be known. You really need to know what challenges you will face in the actual work environment when you take a position.

There was little teamwork to speak of that I saw. Help with learning what to do with technical issues was basically do it yourself. With a complicated thing like Openstack, that is going to be rough even if you are a genius because you are still going to have to learn the customers and you definitely need help with that. I saw people asking the same questions over and over, really working to try to resolve things but help was slow in coming or non-existent.

This is a start-up making the mistake that so many do, ignoring how people are doing their work and not actively encouraging collaboration between staff or groups. There was also very little oversight by upper management on what was happening day to day. Managers closer to the front line spent their time on technical work. There is also no corporate culture to speak of. If you are fine working on your own and figuring out what to do, that's great and it definitely has it's place but you cannot scale a company with everyone working that way. You should not have to get things done purely relying on personal relationships you forge with others in the office, either. That being said, if you were from the mother country you did have a different experience which I think is reflected in the other reviews so keep that in mind as you read them. For them this was a great opportunity since they got to come to America to work and some people were getting sponsored for green cards.

If you are hired as an expert in something but your boss will not listen, that's a problem. Especially if he is inexperienced in what you do. If you are only issued orders, with no discussion or collaboration, the outcome will never be what is expected or needed. If you ask for feedback or clarification and you get no response, you are almost doomed to failure when doing something complicated or trying to put structure in place. There is no underlying process and procedure in place for how to get work done. There is no new employee on-boarding. I couldn't get anyone interested in even seeing that it was a problem. Yes, you get to pick out your own laptop but you also get to use your own equipment until it gets there.

Technically, this is a very interesting place but if you are interested in working here, be sure and ask ALOT of questions of as many people as you can and listen carefully to what you are told. I did do that and ultimately I feel I was not told the whole truth. I don't think the intent was malicious but definitely from a lack of experience or caring. The person who ultimately became my boss didn't even listen to my answers during the interview, he told ME the answers as he saw them. I was ready to bring in people I knew that were very good but then realized I wouldn't do that to anyone I actually respected so that's when I left. And I have to say that the first review looks like it was done to try to attract people to hire and not a true assessment of what it was like to work here for anyone in the trenches.

Your experience may be different since I do want to collaborate, work in teams at times, and help a start-up grow. I have been there before and I think I know what it takes. If all you want to do is keep your head down and do technical work with no concern for the company, maybe that will work. After all, it's only a job. But a start-up can't scale unless there are people who do care and are knowledgable in how a company should work, much less will it survive. I feel extremely disappointed in the way I was treated and it is cold comfort that others told me they felt the same way. I felt there was so much potential here and I really wanted to do so much.

Realize how little actual management is going on, stop trying to avoid doing management, realize it's just as important what you don't know as what you do. Don't listen to the salespeople as if they know absolutely what is best and are always telling the truth.

It is very interesting

I have been working at Mirantis full-time

Pros

It has friendly atmosphere and interesting projects

Cons

It is working with innovation projects

Good enough, but don't get stuck in it

I worked at Mirantis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- strong and attractive player on a labour market
    - company has enough talents and it is pleasant to work with outstanding people

Cons

- working within ODC is enclosed environment where people are treated just as labour force managed directly by the client. Company is interested to keep you within account as long as possible
    - management is not interested in career growth of personnel, just interested in account stability.
    - corporate brainwashing and hypocrisy

- becom more open and respective to the staff, don't make people think you are treating them as resource
    - become more sensitive and proactive towards ambitions of employees