Mirren Business Development

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.6

Brent Hodgins

Excellent company with a great atmostphere

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development for more than 5 years

Pros

As a current and long term (going on 8 years) employee at Mirren I have a few things I'd like to share about working at Mirren.

First, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed. It was one of the first things that I noticed when I started and I found I wouldn’t have it any other way. No stuffy, corporate mumbo-jumbo here at all!

Each employee is given a specific and important role to perform at Mirren, and one feels a true ownership over their work, you aren’t just another cog in the wheel among a million, you’re one of few, and your accomplishments and contributions are real and significant - you have true sense of purpose and achievement each day.

The owner of the company is passionate about his business, and this is magnetic and contagious, each one of us at Mirren feels proud of what we’re working towards and enjoys the journey towards making it all that is can be, and we’ve done so much!

In addition, I’ve found the management at Mirren to be extremely sympathetic and flexible over the years. On the rare occasion when I did have an issue of any kind be it personal or otherwise, I’ve had a sympathetic ear in the management team who have taken pains to address my needs and help flex where possible. Case in point: After my maternity leave, I found I couldn’t leave my son to return to work full time. I had a heart to heart with the management team, and guess what: they totally “got it” and helped craft a schedule for me that worked for everybody - not something most companies would do.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed my long tenure at Mirren so far and look forward to my future with the company!

Cons

Directness is paramount at Mirren - if you have a need, it must be voiced clearly.

Good People, Strong Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time

Pros

In my experiences working for Mirren, I have been provided the guidance I need to learn, the opportunity to drive and develop my career, and the encouragement I need when things are done well. Yes, we all work hard but hard work is rewarded. And honestly, not any harder than other companies in the industry. One last point - I trust and respect my teammates and feel respected by them as well. A team is extremely important to me and I value the relationships I have developed (and continue to develop) at Mirren.

Cons

Same as any other company, there are things that Mirren can work on. Sometimes there are breakdowns in the communication and it causes frustration on all sides. Learning to be adaptable to different communication styles is a big part of a successful company and something that everyone can work on.

Increasing the amount of time in which we can complete projects will help to streamline communications and ensure that people don't get burned out.

Rapid room for growth.

Current Employee - Member Services  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Member Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

We take every federal holiday off, don't work weekends and take 4-day holiday weekends when able. The office culture is busy but friendly and casual. We're a close group with frequent company social outings and very casual dress.

There is also rapid room for growth and you have the ability to write your own job description and run with it.

What really resonated with me though was the flexibility I was given during a several month long family emergency. I was able to cut down on hours and still have my job held for me. Mirren has been a supportive and positive environment during my near 2 years here.

Now, even as I am transitioning out of my role, they continue to support and root for me as I prepare to pursue a career in medicine.

I have to add, the new Seattle office is beauutiful.

Cons

The environment is not necessarily for everyone. Management expects you to believe in the product offering and actively contribute to make it even better. So it's not necessarily for someone just looking for a job. If you're looking for a career, this can be a very enriching place to work. This company can give you a wide variety of experiences, knowledge and opportunities.

Of course there is room for improvement. Protocols and responsibilities between team members could definitely be more clear, and long meetings could be less frequent.

See cons.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Need not apply! There are better jobs out there!

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time

Pros

Casual Dress, Good Benefits, Great learning experience - what not to take in a work environment

Cons

You truly do not realize the hell that you have been living in at Mirren until you go to another company that respects it's employees.
    The review titled "Rapid Room for Growth" is obviously written by the MD himself - or his childhood buddy that also works for the company. (Along with his "wife.") They do not give off every holiday - only ones that are convenient for them or ones that they think of as real holidays (They do not recognize MLK and would like 4th of July moved to a day not in the middle of the week. And if President's Day falls after they have returned from their vacation, you won't get that one off either.) But even when they do make a three day weekend a 4 day one - they will call and email you non-stop. They will do this while you are on vacation too. Oh and the week between Christmas and New Years that you have 'off?' you will be glued to your lap top the entire time - including receiving emails on Christmas Eve on project progress and timelines.
    They do organize outside the office outings for the team - and God forbid you have something personal to do during that time. It is not enough that they work you from 12+ hours a day, they demand that you use your free time to spend with them too. Oh don't even think of taking a lunch break.
    You need BEYOND a thick skin to work here. Everything that goes wrong will be blamed on you. You will be yelled and screamed at - things will be thrown (not at you, but still), doors slammed, fists slammed into walls and tables - the usual things that you would expect from a toddler, not from a company that claims to be at the forefront of New Business Consulting.
    In the time I worked at Mirren I saw approximately 12 employees come and go - 3 Project managers, 3 IT managers, 2 designers and 3 interns. Its amazing clients want to invest in his product obviously seeing his revolving door. Oh and those same clients should know that the "discussions" and comments that they see on his two websites - mirren.org & newbusinessconference.com are lies. Made up by him and posted by team members under made up names.

When you loose as many employees as you have - it is time to start reevaluating. It is not that everyone is a "bad fit for your corporate culture." When are you going to take a good, hard look at yourself?

Dear applicants: Trust your instinct. Don't board a sinking ship.

I worked at Mirren Business Development

Pros

Good pay, casual culture, vacation time, and a nice office layout. Small so there might be room to grow.

Cons

Management is sexist, verbally abusive, non transparent, untrusting, aggressive, unreasonable, and unprofessional. If you want to be yelled at weekly, cry at work, or have your doctor tell you to quit the job due to the stress it has caused, this place is perfect for you. Trust your instinct. This company may have the right intentions but it has all the wrong behaviors and executions. They WILL throw you under a buss. You WILL become a worse person working here.

Close up shop or clean house and bring in better people to do the jobs you are trying to do. And stop coercing your employees to write positive reviews on this site.

You will need a very thick skin to work here.

I have been working at Mirren Business Development

Pros

Decent/good salary, office and desk set up was nice and very up to date. Dress code was casual. Their product is interesting.

Cons

Personal time does not exist. Phone calls on the weekends, holidays, while on vacation, and after work hours are a constant. Employees are talked down to, yelled at and generally treated poorly. You will need a very thick skin if you find yourself working here.

Treat your employees with respect and compassion. It's very simple.

Once you're in, you very quickly see things for what they really are.

I have been working at Mirren Business Development

Pros

Casual dress, occasional outings, decent pay…and I did learn two valuable lessons, how to swim in dangerous waters and look out only for yourself.

Cons

No respect for personal time (be it weekends, weeknights, holidays or vacation time). Expect to be distrusted for no reason, monitored closely and micro-managed. From the outside, the culture appears easy-going and fair. This is not the case. Once you're in, you very quickly see things for what they really are.

Chill.

Keep clear

I have been working at Mirren Business Development

Pros

Casual atmosphere. Occasional company outings and activities.

Cons

Terrible management. They treat their employees with zero respect or trust, yet expect the utmost loyalty in return. Like a dysfunctional family, with accusations, power struggles, and more stubbornness than one small office can handle. No respect for personal time. Micro-managing. Unnecessary red tape. Hugely egotistic, all talk no walk.

If you want a say in everything, make it a one-person company. After all, if you don't let other people do their jobs and don't trust them to help your company grow and succeed, that's what you'll be left with. You've already lost two people recently, and many more have plans to leave soon. Open up the lines of communication and treat your employees with the respect they deserve or you'll be sorry.

Vibrant environment, interesting business, rewards good work

I have been working at Mirren Business Development for more than 3 years

Pros

Mirren is a vibrant, growing and interesting business to work for. We have a great group of clients in that they are digital, advertising and PR agencies. All friendly, creative people.

The primary core unit of staff and freelancers have been together for many years and make up the strong nucleus from which this company continues to expand.

I have the freedom to approach management with new ideas and it's great when you see those ideas come to life. While not every idea is going to get implemented, you are always encouraged to keep coming forward with ways to innovate.

Management makes the effort to recognize all major holidays and often throughout the year gives extra days off around long weekends (May through September in particular). It was a treat that each employee was given ten days off over Christmas the last 3 years - time which didn’t count towards our standard vacation time.

We've taken numerous team working trips, including bringing our Seattle team to New York (for our conference) and recently to Vancouver for a week (meetings and sightseeing). Just a couple of weeks ago, the team also volunteered at a soup kitchen in Seattle for the day.

We have a good work schedule and regular pay raises and promotions. The opportunity to advance and gain more responsibility and pay is available to those that work hard and put in a solid effort.

The company is all Mac, with most people having MacBook Pros and Airs. The phone system is new and VOIP based.

The Seattle office space is new with the final interior design elements being handled now. It has seating for about 10 - 12 people and is an open plan with huge windows in a great neighborhood.

Cons

In terms of cons, I realize the advertising/digital agency biz is a busy and lively industry, and working at Mirren reflects this. There is always plenty of work to do at Mirren. Things rarely slow down, but I like it that way. The sense of accomplishment is satisfying. Mirren is not your typical 9-5 business where you punch out the same time everyday, some days you'll be done at 5pm, while some might go to 6pm. Over the last year, I've had to work 2 or 3 weekends to get caught up on projects. But management seems keen to balance this with bonus vacation time and taking almost every federal holiday off.

Advice to Management would be to keep the focus on culture and innovation (and also as the workload becomes a bit heavy once in a while, maybe the deadlines could be extended a bit longer).

Worked for Mirren Business Development? Contribute to the Community!