Mirren Business Development

3.5
Brent Hodgins

Good Company - Great Strategic People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a consulting company that works within the advertising industry, we’re fast paced and creative. I’ve appreciated the opportunity to mold the role, the support to step up to take on projects, the flexibility to lead a team and be with family when issues come up. I strive to keep my team more balanced each year when working on the Conference - and think the current team works exceptionally well. I really do enjoy collaborating with this creative bunch of people!

And in terms of life balance, well we now start the day at 8am and wrap most days by 5:30pm - a nice change from New York hours! The company has also introduced a “Monday Morning Sync” where we all meet every Monday for breakfast in the neighborhood instead of going to the office. It’s a great way to connect with everyone and is a much appreciated way to ease into the week.

Cons

Not really a Con, but you have to be very self directed. If you’re on top of your projects and manage your status then you'll do great. Sure - every company have people that don’t work out. Let’s just move on.

Advice to Management

Keep on the current path of hiring good strategic people who can really implement business decisions. The growing team is really gelling.

Difficult Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Occasional company lunches and outings, casual dress, modern furniture and technology, good opportunity to wear many different hats as the company is quite small and understaffed.

Cons

Very difficult culture to navigate. Some great people working here, but management is abrasive and abusive. Tendency to place blame on others, throw employees under the bus, overreact to small challenges, and make every task extremely urgent in priority. Does not take feedback well, and only gives feedback when it's negative. Workload is intense and often serves no purpose as management wants final say in every decision. Don't expect much autonomy, flexibility, positive feedback, or camaraderie here. Environment shows signs of stress, and employee turnover is very high.

Advice to Management

Listen to feedback and act on it, rather than hide from your problems. You should be proud of your company and your name, not fearful for its image and defensive of its (free falling) reputation.

Glad I Found Mirren

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been full-time for about a year now.

I'm in the NY office, but I've visited the Seattle headquarters a few times, and it's sweet. We envisioned our perfect office while all in NY (couches, snacks, big windows, no constant NYC construction), so seeing everything come to life has been pretty cool.

I get along great with the whole team, they're all cool people - which is good because we all work pretty closely.

The work is interesting and challenging, expect to learn a lot.

Cons

Office is broken into various departments, each with a lead person - there's plenty of work on each desk, each day. HOWEVER, with some new team members, we're making sure everything is getting evenly dispersed, especially for those of us that enjoy happy hour (speaking for a friend).Let's keep expanding the team!

Advice to Management

Let's keep expanding the team!

Excellent company with a great atmostphere

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a current and long term (going on 8 years) employee at Mirren I have a few things I'd like to share about working at Mirren.

First, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed. It was one of the first things that I noticed when I started and I found I wouldn’t have it any other way. No stuffy, corporate mumbo-jumbo here at all!

Each employee is given a specific and important role to perform at Mirren, and one feels a true ownership over their work, you aren’t just another cog in the wheel among a million, you’re one of few, and your accomplishments and contributions are real and significant - you have true sense of purpose and achievement each day.

The owner of the company is passionate about his business, and this is magnetic and contagious, each one of us at Mirren feels proud of what we’re working towards and enjoys the journey towards making it all that is can be, and we’ve done so much!

In addition, I’ve found the management at Mirren to be extremely sympathetic and flexible over the years. On the rare occasion when I did have an issue of any kind be it personal or otherwise, I’ve had a sympathetic ear in the management team who have taken pains to address my needs and help flex where possible. Case in point: After my maternity leave, I found I couldn’t leave my son to return to work full time. I had a heart to heart with the management team, and guess what: they totally “got it” and helped craft a schedule for me that worked for everybody - not something most companies would do.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed my long tenure at Mirren so far and look forward to my future with the company!

Cons

Directness is paramount at Mirren - if you have a need, it must be voiced clearly.

Good People, Strong Company

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time

Pros

In my experiences working for Mirren, I have been provided the guidance I need to learn, the opportunity to drive and develop my career, and the encouragement I need when things are done well. Yes, we all work hard but hard work is rewarded. And honestly, not any harder than other companies in the industry. One last point - I trust and respect my teammates and feel respected by them as well. A team is extremely important to me and I value the relationships I have developed (and continue to develop) at Mirren.

Cons

Same as any other company, there are things that Mirren can work on. Sometimes there are breakdowns in the communication and it causes frustration on all sides. Learning to be adaptable to different communication styles is a big part of a successful company and something that everyone can work on.

Advice to Management

Increasing the amount of time in which we can complete projects will help to streamline communications and ensure that people don't get burned out.

Worst Job Ever.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made lasting friendships here in NYC due to being in a "Mirren Support Network" after going through the traumatic experiences there. Seattle, heed the warnings you read on this page.

Cons

It pains me to see the "positive" reviews on here, which are clearly fake and written by the 1-person management team.

BEWARE JOB SEEKERS - This job really IS as bad as my former colleagues and I are describing. There is a complete lack of professionalism at Mirren. You won't learn a single thing that will prepare you for working at a good company. The management screams, throws things, belittles employees, name-calls, and disparages your work. Working there is akin to being in a well-decorated loony bin.

Mirren hires people who have one thing in common: Desperation. When I worked there, management made us take a psychological test to determine how "dominant" we were -- because Mirren only hires submissive people.

Among the WORST things about this workplace is that you will not better yourself. You won't leave this company knowing more about your career, or having built any confidence or gained any valuable skills. In fact, it will be quite the opposite. This job will hurt you professionally, and will hold you back from your own success.

Employees are so unhappy in this environment, and it' s a revolving door of employee turnover. When you get there you meet the manager's relatives and friends from childhood whom he passes off as his "employees who love it there". It's a scam. Real employees do not usually last more than a couple months.

There are truly serious issues at this workplace. I am writing this in hopes it will protect people from having to go through what I had to endure.

So no matter how much money Mirren offers you, when you just start to think "But I'm different, I can handle it, I'm tough, and I so desperately need a job"......just remember this: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Advice to Management

You have hurt many people badly by your actions. Stop. Just stop.

You will need a very thick skin to work here.

I have been working at Mirren Business Development

Pros

Decent/good salary, office and desk set up was nice and very up to date. Dress code was casual. Their product is interesting.

Cons

Personal time does not exist. Phone calls on the weekends, holidays, while on vacation, and after work hours are a constant. Employees are talked down to, yelled at and generally treated poorly. You will need a very thick skin if you find yourself working here.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and compassion. It's very simple.