Mirren Business Development

Brent Hodgins

overall good experience

Current Employee - RFP Research Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - RFP Research Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual work environment. Good pay. They are very supportive in my personal goals. I love that the company is very tech savvy. All equipment and decor is very modern.

Working at Mirren has been an overall good experience for me personally. I have been with the company for over three years heading the leads department. I love the work I do. I have learned a lot on the technical side of things; more than I have writing for other companies. i appreciate that I can be open with my thoughts with management.

Cons

Our offices are on the East and West coasts, would be nice having the whole team together.

Good Company - Great Strategic People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a consulting company that works within the advertising industry, we’re fast paced and creative. I’ve appreciated the opportunity to mold the role, the support to step up to take on projects, the flexibility to lead a team and be with family when issues come up. I strive to keep my team more balanced each year when working on the Conference - and think the current team works exceptionally well. I really do enjoy collaborating with this creative bunch of people!

And in terms of life balance, well we now start the day at 8am and wrap most days by 5:30pm - a nice change from New York hours! The company has also introduced a “Monday Morning Sync” where we all meet every Monday for breakfast in the neighborhood instead of going to the office. It’s a great way to connect with everyone and is a much appreciated way to ease into the week.

Cons

Not really a Con, but you have to be very self directed. If you’re on top of your projects and manage your status then you'll do great. Sure - every company have people that don’t work out. Let’s just move on.

Keep on the current path of hiring good strategic people who can really implement business decisions. The growing team is really gelling.

Room for growth.

Current Employee - Member Services Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Member Services Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been working at Mirren in the Member Services Department for 2 years. There is room for growth here and you have the ability to write your own job description and run with it. The office culture is busy but friendly and casual, so we're a close group.

What really resonated with me though was the flexibility I was given during a several month long family emergency. I was able to cut down on hours and still have my job held for me. Mirren has been a supportive and positive environment during my time here.

Now, they continue to support and root for me as I begin classes to pursue a career in medicine.

Cons

The environment is not necessarily for everyone. Management expects you to believe in the product offering and actively contribute to make it even better. So it's not necessarily for someone just looking for a job. If you're looking for a career, this can be a very enriching place to work. This company can give you a wide variety of experiences, knowledge and opportunities.

Of course there is room for improvement. Protocols and responsibilities between team members could definitely be more clear, and long meetings could be less frequent.

See cons.

good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Mirren Business Development part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Definitely challenging, but getting good experience & appreciate what I'm learning.
    In no way a boring place to work, you keep plenty busy.
    Good pay, good benefits and all weekends off.
    Also a good location, everything in ballard in walking distance (or biking).

Cons

Need better communication and more training for newbies.

Appearances are NOT everything

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office space, company outings, competitive compensation, image of prestige. There are some great people here; you can commiserate your job experience with them behind the MP's back if you're careful.

Cons

Some pretty serious management issues here. Would work better as a sole proprietorship, since the MP wants a say in everything and will throw anyone under a bus to make sure he's involved and ALWAYS right. Misuse of resources, disrespect for time, shady accounting and vendor relations practices. Lots of paranoia with the MP and his "IP"...get used to cameras, micro-managing and intrusive technology. It may take a few months once you're in the door to convince yourself that you deserve better. You'll get there, though.

Hope you're doing some soul-searching and serious strategizing (what your business is based on, right?) in addition to just paying for positive reviews and bullying Glassdoor into removing the negative ones. A good appearance will earn you a first date, but not much more. If you want to keep clients, event attendees and employees, work on more than just silencing criticism. Maybe accept some of it and acknowledge your weaknesses. Reach out to those you've hurt, thank the ones who've put up with you, and see someone to talk to. You're a smart guy - make your business something that you can show off rather than defend.

Glad I Found Mirren

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've been full-time for about a year now.

I'm in the NY office, but I've visited the Seattle headquarters a few times, and it's sweet. We envisioned our perfect office while all in NY (couches, snacks, big windows, no constant NYC construction), so seeing everything come to life has been pretty cool.

I get along great with the whole team, they're all cool people - which is good because we all work pretty closely.

The work is interesting and challenging, expect to learn a lot.

Cons

Office is broken into various departments, each with a lead person - there's plenty of work on each desk, each day. HOWEVER, with some new team members, we're making sure everything is getting evenly dispersed, especially for those of us that enjoy happy hour (speaking for a friend).Let's keep expanding the team!

Let's keep expanding the team!

Excellent company with a great atmostphere

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Mirren Business Development (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a current and long term (going on 8 years) employee at Mirren I have a few things I'd like to share about working at Mirren.

First, the atmosphere is casual and relaxed. It was one of the first things that I noticed when I started and I found I wouldn’t have it any other way. No stuffy, corporate mumbo-jumbo here at all!

Each employee is given a specific and important role to perform at Mirren, and one feels a true ownership over their work, you aren’t just another cog in the wheel among a million, you’re one of few, and your accomplishments and contributions are real and significant - you have true sense of purpose and achievement each day.

The owner of the company is passionate about his business, and this is magnetic and contagious, each one of us at Mirren feels proud of what we’re working towards and enjoys the journey towards making it all that is can be, and we’ve done so much!

In addition, I’ve found the management at Mirren to be extremely sympathetic and flexible over the years. On the rare occasion when I did have an issue of any kind be it personal or otherwise, I’ve had a sympathetic ear in the management team who have taken pains to address my needs and help flex where possible. Case in point: After my maternity leave, I found I couldn’t leave my son to return to work full time. I had a heart to heart with the management team, and guess what: they totally “got it” and helped craft a schedule for me that worked for everybody - not something most companies would do.

All in all, I’ve enjoyed my long tenure at Mirren so far and look forward to my future with the company!

Cons

Directness is paramount at Mirren - if you have a need, it must be voiced clearly.

Good People, Strong Company

I have been working at Mirren Business Development full-time

Pros

In my experiences working for Mirren, I have been provided the guidance I need to learn, the opportunity to drive and develop my career, and the encouragement I need when things are done well. Yes, we all work hard but hard work is rewarded. And honestly, not any harder than other companies in the industry. One last point - I trust and respect my teammates and feel respected by them as well. A team is extremely important to me and I value the relationships I have developed (and continue to develop) at Mirren.

Cons

Same as any other company, there are things that Mirren can work on. Sometimes there are breakdowns in the communication and it causes frustration on all sides. Learning to be adaptable to different communication styles is a big part of a successful company and something that everyone can work on.

Increasing the amount of time in which we can complete projects will help to streamline communications and ensure that people don't get burned out.

Worst Job Ever.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mirren Business Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I made lasting friendships here in NYC due to being in a "Mirren Support Network" after going through the traumatic experiences there. Seattle, heed the warnings you read on this page.

Cons

It pains me to see the "positive" reviews on here, which are clearly fake and written by the 1-person management team.

BEWARE JOB SEEKERS - This job really IS as bad as my former colleagues and I are describing. There is a complete lack of professionalism at Mirren. You won't learn a single thing that will prepare you for working at a good company. The management screams, throws things, belittles employees, name-calls, and disparages your work. Working there is akin to being in a well-decorated loony bin.

Mirren hires people who have one thing in common: Desperation. When I worked there, management made us take a psychological test to determine how "dominant" we were -- because Mirren only hires submissive people.

Among the WORST things about this workplace is that you will not better yourself. You won't leave this company knowing more about your career, or having built any confidence or gained any valuable skills. In fact, it will be quite the opposite. This job will hurt you professionally, and will hold you back from your own success.

Employees are so unhappy in this environment, and it' s a revolving door of employee turnover. When you get there you meet the manager's relatives and friends from childhood whom he passes off as his "employees who love it there". It's a scam. Real employees do not usually last more than a couple months.

There are truly serious issues at this workplace. I am writing this in hopes it will protect people from having to go through what I had to endure.

So no matter how much money Mirren offers you, when you just start to think "But I'm different, I can handle it, I'm tough, and I so desperately need a job"......just remember this: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

You have hurt many people badly by your actions. Stop. Just stop.

You will need a very thick skin to work here.

I have been working at Mirren Business Development

Pros

Decent/good salary, office and desk set up was nice and very up to date. Dress code was casual. Their product is interesting.

Cons

Personal time does not exist. Phone calls on the weekends, holidays, while on vacation, and after work hours are a constant. Employees are talked down to, yelled at and generally treated poorly. You will need a very thick skin if you find yourself working here.

Treat your employees with respect and compassion. It's very simple.