Mission Essential Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Peter Horvath

I hope you like to kiss butt

Pros

benefits, nice building, no dress code

Cons

bad management, My supervisor, lets call her Mandi shall we? She worked using the favoritism style. If she liked you then she would teach you extra responsibilities, if she didn't then all she did was set you up to fail. After being downsized (which I was downsized even though my coworker was only PT when I hired in) I got called back in for a few weeks and I witnessed her walk in and she saw me sitting in the lobby waiting for access to be let in to my work area. When she saw me she turned around, walked back outside and to the back door so that she didn't have to talk to me, Once I was let in she let me sit at an empty desk for 1 hour until her co-worker came in and gave me work to do.

Linguist

Former Employee - Linguist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Linguist in Columbus, OH

Pros

It's a big defense contractor. Good support during the deployment process and after deployment in the theater. They hire mostly former military professionals operations, which helps because the process is known to the facilitators:

Cons

Benefits are bare minimum. The support staff in the theater can be un-empathetic to the needs of linguists who are getting "shot at" for their country.

Advice to Management

Be better informed about the inadequacies of the support staff in the theater and take action.

3. Lot's of Linguistic Opportunities

Current Employee - CAT III LINGUIST in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - CAT III LINGUIST in Augusta, GA

Pros

Small company with most competitive salaries and contract options for linguists

Cons

I don't have any so far

Don't work here

Former Employee - Finance in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Finance in Reston, VA

Pros

Nice office space, gym on site

Cons

Management was lacking, no clear vision from the top, not a welcoming culture

Advice to Management

Invest in creating a clear culture for the company.

Potential, but slowly dying without proper realignment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Small company that still has an opportunity to grow and succeed in the intelligence community. Managers tend to take care of their employees depending on the site. Good work/life balance and site has good morale that keep people motivated even though future is uncertain. Pay is borderline and any further cuts would likely mean an exodus of good quality people. Employee service center is spot on with taking care of issues and/or questions employees may have. By showing passion, you can move up and management will take care of those that are invested in the mission.

Cons

Minimal communication from executive leadership to 'satellite' sites other than the main Herndon and Columbus HQs. Low balling contracts may win them but will bring in the people that you pay for. A company that was started by veterans and has a large operational focus with military personnel and does not give Veteran's day off seems disheartening to all the personnel. Match the federal holidays. PTO is dismal and forces people to have to work to make the minimal pay that is given. Policies hurt employees when it comes to making decisions on taking leave.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, even if they are not corporate. People should not be looked on as money makers but rather as what keeps the company relevant. The bottom line is significant but if you have no one to make that for you because the talent has departed, you lose out. Ensure that you communicate vision and future growth to employees across the company. Employees need to feel they have a purpose within the company. Give Veterans Day off!!! Allow more flexible timekeeping policies. Allow managers the means to reward stellar productivity. Invest and hire a business growth team that knows the future of the community that you wish to be in and are not out of the 'game'.

HR

I worked at Mission Essential full-time

Pros

Very entrepreneurial company, deeply committed employees.

Cons

Poor board and immature leadership, despicable COO and management unwilling to do anything about it. Committed to scaling back and retrenching rather than growing. Cutting way to prosperity never works.

Advice to Management

Fire the COO,

8. Operations

Pros

None to offer at this time.

Cons

Services company that specializes in linguists, presenting themselves as the "one-stop-shop" for government services. Shoddy managers and directors with overblown titles and little to no relevant industry experience.

Great purpose, horrible ethics

Former Employee - Office Staff in Langley, VA
    Former Employee - Office Staff in Langley, VA

I worked at Mission Essential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for a company that helps our soldiers do their job is very satisfying. For office employees the benefits were great, but not so for linguists.

Cons

Very poor moral ethics-they are more worried about their bottom line than even American soldiers' lives. It is very cut-throat and you never know who you can trust. No cross-training.

Opportunities for Growth are a possibility

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Mission Essential full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small business feel where people are usually collaborative in nature. Open floor plan allows for teamwork to take place.

Cons

Declining revenue means jobs are unstable (~40% drop from 2012 to 2013). Company maintains profitability through the cutting of costs and positions. Unsure if the business development team has a clear growth plan or is just stabbing around in the dark.

Bottom line is all that counts - even in war

Former Employee - OEF-A in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - OEF-A in Washington, DC

I worked at Mission Essential (More than a year)

Pros

I'd say supporting soldiers, but they put them in danger everyday by providing translators who don't speak the correct language and can't read or write in the target language,

Cons

Provide false services to DOD that puts are soldiers lives on the line every day. They hire translators for overseas missions In Afghanistan and other countries and most can not read or write their own name in the target language and falsified test scores. All employees that go overseas are considered 'expendable'.

Advice to Management

Care about our soldier's lives, don't cheat the taxpayers who are really paying you WAY too much, and pay translators that do a great job, know how to read, write, and type in target language and are healthy and strong enough to do missions WAY more than the slackers you hire just to fill your quota. Have a freakin' heart.

RSS Feed </> Embed