Mission Health

Add Photos

Ronald A. Paulus

Great potential

Mental Health Tech (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsGreat team with lots of knowledge and care

ConsUnits are not in patients best interest. Can't go outside, no activities.

Senior Management/Board of Directors are not performing

Registred Nurse (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsImmediate Supervisors are good and I am left alone to do my work and allowed to use my own and skills and close to home and there is little problem with traffic

ConsManagement is detached from the realities of the task. Too many managers at the top and they are very egotistical ( CEO and board) very reactive and since there is no competition and NC has very poor laws to protect employee rights they can do as they please. No pay raises or benefit reductions as they wish in order to justify unwise expenditures. Dr Paulus CEO is more concerned with self promotion than running a good outfit

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with self promotion and focus on the task and the troops . That's how form a good unit.Military History. Possibly Hire Ex Military to know about accomplishing goals

Programs over People

ProsI have seen a dramatic decline in the "pros" over recent years. I do appreciate their financial assistance with my MSN and that is a plus.

ConsManagement seems to believe, a rah-rah teleconference compensates for lower Christmas bonuses, loss of PTO or lower regular raises despite excellent reviews.
    We hear Mr Paulus discuss how concerned he is with dwindling profits and spiraling costs, yet there doesn't seem to be any facility Mission is not willing to buy or build. If you can't swallow what you already have, why shove more in your mouth?
    It does appear, the board's interest is greater in how well the competition is doing than in how much better we can perform.
    The bottom line; there is a growing apathy amongst the staff that all the corporate "programs" in the world cannot alter. I loathe when staff airs dirty laundry and complains to patients, but they are and you must certainly know you have a problem.
    All we want to do is care for our patients and be compensated fairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementA CEO should not consider himself so elite; he feels compelled to keep his email, office address and office phone off limits to any employee. It connotes a demeaning attitude that is debilitating to loyalty and abates all incentive. An attitude, good or distasteful, always disseminates through management from the top, and eventually affects the perception of the patient.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beautiful tourist area = Expensive housing + Non-Living Wages = Food Stamps

Phlebotomist (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsBeautiful Area, Friendly people,

ConsThe pay is a joke, if cost of living is factored. The area is a beautiful mountain tourist spot, where 50yr old 2bed/1Ba houses (800 sq ft) cost $250,000. The nursing staff barely makes $20 hr and the Phlebotomist avg. $10 hr, benefit package they rave about, really amounts to squat. Our health incentives have been slashed. Last month nobody earned PTO again and raises haven't been given in years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know other people in the lab, who has to get Food Stamps to feed their kids. PAY A LIVING WAGE! 60 Phlebotomist are working out of a 10' by 10' room. We are 10 people short now because it takes 3-4 month to hire and unhappy people are quitting because of pay and after working a full weeks hours, now where put on-call once every week and are always called in because of the staffing shortage.

The 500 pound gorilla- and not a kind one

Non-medical Professional (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsWorking side by side great and gifted people, genuinely dedicated to the well-being of those they care for.

ConsPoor wages and benefits for medical professions. As Mission is steadily buying up everything medical in Western North Carolina there are fewer and fewer non-Mission jobs in the health field; this affects salary and benefits not only for employees of Mission and its affiliates but for the entire region- Mission is the largest employer around. There is a huge disconnect between what the system promotes itself as and what actually exists. Upper management appears to care only about what can be measured and turned into awards; the intangibles that have so much to do with great care are consistently undervalued if they're valued at all. Benefits are poor, workload ever increasing. Morale is poor, for many of the reasons mentioned above.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf financials are poor that's a failure of leadership; don't take away vacation accrual because you didn't spot the trends, particularly when the acquisition of medical practices, facilities and real estate seems to keep going full steam ahead. Try not to pointlessly squander employee loyalty and value dedication. All those national recognition awards cost money-and who are you trying to impress? You've already bought out most of the competition. If those awards truly matter then show respect and appreciation to the folks who made them possible-the front line staff. It's time to begin rebuilding trust; staff have difficulty believing anything that comes down from the top-and with good reason. There are excellent staff doing great work; treat them with respect and consideration; don't allow middle management to jerk people around and increase feelings of anxiety and fear. In fact, stop using fear tactics all together! Bring the actual values back to the stated values; everyone can see the disconnect.

losing pto in April!!!!! This is the first time this has happened in a long, long time.

No Comment (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

Prosthere are none at this place in time

ConsThe CEO, Paulus, does not care about the underdogs, the ones that do all the work that the hospital could not run if they stopped. He makes a million a year and buys up all this land and other hospitals and builds new buildings! He needs to take care of his own first. Paulus has taken $50 from our actiped of $150 quarterly, he has not allowed us any sort of raise an now we are not accruing any paid time off in April but we still have to put a smile on our faces and do work as usual. Some older employees have been let go so that deletes their higher pay. If you do voice your opinion at the place you will be terminated. The moral at that hospital is just a joke!! You can go to the Veterans Hospital and make more money! Someone needs to form a UNION!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the board: GET A NEW CEO that cares about his employees and not just lining his pockets with our blood, sweat and tears! Get rid of the high salaries of all the VP's that he has made. Why does any hospital need over 40 vice presidents?????

Little to no promotional opportunities

Practice Specialist III (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsOnce you are in, Mission offers many perks in return for employment. Wellness programs, community discounts, employee centered initiatives.

ConsAbsolutely the most nepotistic company I have ever seen. I got my job because I knew someone. Now, I can't get to the next level because I don't know anyone there. Internal applicants for jobs are subject to the same screening criteria as external applicants are. This means no phone call, no feedback, no career development. Just a rejection on the job board website.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your greatest asset. Look internally and create initiatives that develop your employees and give him or her a pathway to the next level. Stop posting all jobs to the world. Post internally first, then externally. Offer each internal applicant feedback on his or her application and provide a career path.

The absolute WORST job of my entire life. You've been warned!

Back Office (Former Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsGenerally caring clinical staff at the hospital.

ConsThe most appalling senior management I've ever encountered anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your entire Board of Directors and senior management team and start over.

Proud to work at this safety-net system.

Professional Non-Clinical (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsWhile other health systems are cutting multiple jobs, our Sr. Leaders are thinking outside the box to prevent too many layoffs. I feel supported by my supervisor and my department. There is a cool new recognition site called WooHoo! for Mission employees. The wellness program pays me to be healthy and make good choices. I recommend Mission to family and friends with great pride. Mission delivers great care.

ConsThere will probably be a PTO accrual freeze for a couple of months and we won't have a merit increase this year but if it means saving jobs, I'm all for it. I worked in a company that had a mass layoff and it left too much work for those left with their jobs. I also worked in retail for several years during the economic crash of 2008. Healthcare is just now feeling some things that other industries have felt before.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop leadership. There are still some leaders that are not evolving as quickly as healthcare is changing. Those people probably need to find new jobs (some need to be helped along).

A good place to work that cares about employees

Mlt (Current Employee) Asheville, NC

ProsGood pay for the area in comparison to other systems

ConsLack of advancement opportunities for current employees

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better advancement opportunities for current employees

Worked for Mission Health? Contribute to the Community!