Mission Health Reviews

Updated March 3, 2015
52 reviews filtered by
Ronald A. Paulus

Pros
  • Good benefits, nice staff to work with (in 2 reviews)

• Good pay for the area in comparison to other systems (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Mission is taking over all of WNC, yet they are telling its employees that we need to cut back (in 2 reviews)

• Very limited advancement opportunities (in 2 reviews)

1. Proud to work for Mission

Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I recently moved to Asheville for my job at Mission - relocating for a job is a scary prospect, but I could not be happier! Mission is a great place to work and I am so proud to say that I work here. Mission Health is a top 15 health system in the country and I can see why - they are constantly striving to be the best for our patients and community. The team that I joined is supportive and we are achieving great things together - feeling part of a team and the culture of an organization is important to me and I get that here. For an organization this size, I'm impressed with the communication - I've even attended a Ted Talk style information session presented by the CEO and I found this to be excellent - not many CEOs would take the time to let staff know what's happening and answer any question we had to throw at him. I came from an organization that kept everything "hush hush" and then all of a sudden we had huge lay-offs. I appreciate the transparency. Mission is also working towards becoming a best place to work and practice, which is something that impressed me about the organization when I was job hunting. I'm loving my job, my boss is the best, and I see lots of opportunity for my personal growth here.

Cons

The biggest con really does come from outside sources - with the environment of healthcare in th country, Mission is having to make changes at an extremely fast pace. This can sometimes become overwhelming and causes stress in the workplace, but I don't know that it is something that can be avoided.

Continue to provide transparent communication and allow people to voice their concerns and suggestions - allowing people to feel in the know and part of the solution is key.

Good salary range, not so good insurance or PTO benefits

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary compensation best in area
    Lots of opportunities in area

Cons

Top heavy administration
    Unrealistic project timelines
    Lack of resources for projects
    Too many consultants

3. Growing health system that retains a strong community connection

Current Employee - Caregiver

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work at Mission, the technology and innovation usually only seen in much larger cities, openness of leadership, location is beautiful in Western NC.

Cons

The changes throughout all of healthcare are forcing Mission to change more rapidly than it may otherwise change.

Continue to solicit feedback and keep open lines of communication, continue to reinforce the strategy and vision of Mission.

5. Quality care where patients are at the center of what we do!

I have been working at Mission Health

Pros

I've worked at Mission for 30 years. I've seen lots of changes and advancements all to improve the health of the people of Western North Carolina. I've been challenged in my role, asked for my input and received lots of support for personal and professional development over the years. I can't imagine working anywhere else.

Cons

LIke any growing organization at Mission Health there the amount of change and pace of work is very fast. If you like an exciting and forward thinking workplace though, you'll fit right in.

6. Excellent teamwork, great benefits

Current Employee - Health Educator/Respiratory in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Health Educator/Respiratory in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have an entrepreneurial spirit, and never imagined myself "fitting in" at a big organization. I've been working for Mission for over 5 years now, and can report that I am really happy here. I've been given the autonomy to take on projects that interest me and grow into new roles, as well as the opportunity to participate in committees that help drive positive changes. The benefits are very good - I use the vision, dental, and CDH health plan. There are other less-tangible benefits, like the on-site staff health clinic, and local discounts. I've gone back to school and utilize the tuition reimbursement program as well. My coworkers are dedicated and fun to be around.

Cons

The field of healthcare is challenging. Regardless of how you feel about US politics, the intersection of politics and healthcare has caused big shake-ups in all health systems. While we learn to do things differently, we also know that changes will continue. Upper management has had to make some hard choices (but I do trust that they know what they are doing). I feel fortunate to work with folks who are passionate about what they do - so regardless of the political landscape, we are here to do the right thing for the patients.

The little things that you do to enhance morale really matter. The company picnic where you invited all of the downtown food trucks to serve us in the parking lots.... that was awesome. It felt like a street festival. I know that it was probably very expensive to feed us all, but golly it was good. Let's do that again.

7. Its all About the Money - for Mission

Current Employee - Staff RN in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good , modern equipment and facility. Good training.

Cons

The company has made so many cuts that they can't keep staff. The departments are now all understaffed to the point that patient safety is in question. Meanwhile the company keeps buying property and building new facilities.

Note, Biggest doesn't always mean best. You need to put patient care before your need to be the biggest in the state.

8. Trying to work as a team to help our patients and family members reach their desired outcome.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The leadership does a great job of being on the floors and seeing what front line staff really do. Then they take that back and think of ways to improve the hospital and healthcare system to better our community(ies). I love the team I work with and every person I run into.

Cons

It may take a little time to become hired, but it is worth it for our patients. And in the long run for you as an employee!

9. Rewarding opportunity

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my job, and I have a great boss. I have been given some chances to grow in new roles. Also, if i were to be a patient in a hospital, i would definately choose this one.

Cons

Healthcare is an always changing environment, and this is affecting all healthcare organizations. Mission is not immune to these challenges, but has found a way to overcome.

Thank you for all that you have done to help Mission through the challenges of the healthcare landscape.

would have been 5 stars a couple of months ago

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hands down best hospital in WNC to work and for patient care, best staff ever, love my co-workers, floor manager is good, GPTWP counsel really tries hard with the added warm and fuzzy stuff during the holidays, love pet therapy, appreciate the recent open forum Dr. Paulus is holding for nursing staff to speak up....hope he listens to them!

Cons

recently, we have felt the crunch as nurses.....Mission is tightening the reigns on money, they have to because we are forced to give out so much FREE care to these uninsured folks who don't take care of themselves, we are more burdened than ever with discharges, the tasks just seem to pile up with added pressure of patient satisfaction scores. Happy nurses+ well staffed departments=high patient satisfaction - well staffed means ensuring that each patient has an RN and CNA every single shift, especially on the higher acuity floors with total care patients and in patient falls. How can I be a good RN when I am busy doing bed baths, vital signs, bathroom help etc?

staff your nursing units better, for an RN to care for 4 total care patients with 1 CNA for the whole floor is just unfair and unsafe, really, really listen to your front line staff - we love what we do and you should support us better, ease up on the huge push right now to fill, fill, fill the nursing unit empty beds, we feel the added pressure recently. Of course an open bed is money, we get that, but please, give us some breathing room. And when your senior management visits floors for quality rounds, how about actually LISTENING to nurses?

For the biggest employer, they could do better by employees

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth

Cons

Senior leaders don't listen, work life balance is terrible.

Mission Health Photos

Resources for working with children
Infant Massage Training