Mission Health

Ronald A. Paulus

What a train wreck.....

Current Employee - Billing in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Billing in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Getting into Mission is hard. It's nepotistic. But once you are in, you can get a lot of experience in your chosen field. The pay is decent, time off is alright when not frozen. The people here are genuinely interested in doing the best job possible. I do feel I make a difference.

Cons

Once in, and once you have experience, there is no where else to go even if you wanted to. That is not Mission's fault. So you are stuck dealing with all the BS of a largish health care system.

Management is delusional about what goes on in the department. Provider enrollment can't keep pace with the new provider new hires, but those providers are STILL being asked to see patients which means write-offs. We can't bill it. Understaffed billing which means write-offs due to timely filing. Too many Medicare/Medicaids. Self-pay patients walk in and out paying nothing because no one asks for payment. Write-offs and more write-offs. Money is bleeding out the back door and no one sees it. Dr. P (CEO) claims we have to lay people off in order to get our operating margin in line but he is seemingly clueless about the legitimate money we are owed that is getting written off because other departments are not doing the job or being managed and because no one will go after the money. Yet, we STILL continue to see those patients.

It's a monetary bleeding mess on the back end.

Stop sacrificing your staff because you can't elevate your operating margins. Stop writing stuff off. Stop giving out free care. Get some policies in place that stem the flow of loss from the practices you are hell bent on acquiring. And maybe, maybe, you can save a job or two. Physicians can be fired, too, you know, if they don't tow the line. Get rid of your PSA practices. They are either with Mission or they are not. There is no in between. The losses there are unfathomable.

Stop operating like Mission Health is the local free clinic. It's not.

Miserable Place to Work

Current Employee - Staff RN in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time

Pros

Salaries are higher than any other provider in the area.

Cons

The company is trying to cut back in response to funding cuts from the state and the ACA. However, they're trying to do that while also expanding the system. This means hiring is slower than Christmas, leaving units grossly understaffed. The bedside staff are expected to pick up the slack while HR takes months and months to just fill one CNA slot. The actual hospital staff is miserable throughout the hospital, while management pats itself on the back for cutting out "fluff". "Fluff" apparently translates as physical therapists cut from an already understaffed PT team or Case Managers and Educators let go, slowing both the patient discharge process and the new hire process.

You need to pay more attention to the system's functioning at the ground level. People are doing whatever they can to leave, and the one's stuck where they are are deeply dissatisfied. All the cuts may save some money now, but it's only a matter of time before a patient gets hurt or dead, and the resulting law suits are going to be another drag on the budget.

Good but unpredictable

Current Employee - Caregiver in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The city is a great place to live.

Cons

The upper management is not transparent as to the financial stability of the hospital

Be more transparent as things come up

Meh

I have been working at Mission Health full-time

Pros

Good Hours, that's about it

Cons

low pay and shoddy management

Best Job I Have Ever Had!!!!

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management treats employees fairly. I have been working for the last 10 years. Mission by far is the best place I have ever worked for. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone in my team got along great. We all worked as a team and tried to make things work more efficiently in our department and as a team.

Cons

The process for being hired on at Mission Hospital can take a few weeks. But overall it is worth the wait. Training in my department took a little while but benefit me in the end as I gained more knowledge and information on how operations worked.

Worst job ever.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health insurance was pretty good.

Cons

Wow where to begin. Security is super understaffed. Officers being assaulted every day, and no one cares. Being locked up face to face with violent mental patients, while nurses hide. Can't defend yourself, and supervisors hide in vehicles outside.

More security, and let them protect yourselves.

Long days

Former Employee - Paramedic in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People who work there are great, and highly trained. Salery is fair for the area but nothing special. Management is ok.

Cons

Long busy days to earn your money. Staffing levels are low, to increase profit. Most areas of the hospital are like this. Patient care does not suffer mind you, but the staff does.

Hire more staff.

Largest hospital in WNC.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership is everywhere. PTO can be occurred when not frozen. Pay is above other hospitals in WNC. Great hospital for new grad advancement. Great Rapid Response Team.

Cons

Management/leadership is everywhere & nowhere. They micro manage everything. Claim they work as a team but when everything goes wrong they can not be found. You can ask for help but they will tell you what you should have done after it is all over. Therefore, help is pretty much not there. Rapid Response will help with anything unless they are busy in another crisis. You feel like you have a "target" on your back if your are not a part of the "good old boys(girls) club". Very top heavy - more people who work in offices than actually work the floor.

Care about the little people the ones who come in contact with the patient. The quality of patient care actually starts when the patient enters the facility not in the dollars you spend on new buildings, land, management salaries etc. Happy team members are infectious which spreads throughout the work environment including patient outcomes, community attitude toward hospital and causes a caring attitude for all. Is that not what we all want in our community?

Great place to bring and grow your career!

Current Employee - Professional Services in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Openness of Senior Leaders in discussing concerns and opportunities. Exceptional caregivers to work with, everyone works to provide a positive patient experience and is supportive with colleagues. The organization invests in the future for the employees.

Cons

Some systems and processes are being updated and some delays occur from time to time.

Keep up the open communication and continue to have the courage to make the decisions which will provide our caregivers and our community with a positive healthcare environment and experience.

Discrimination

Former Employee - Patient Registration in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Patient Registration in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My paycheck was directing into my checking account.

Cons

I was racially degraded, being called the "N" word ( website would not permit full version) from a veteran employee. The proper steps were taken on my behalf to report this action, however NO action was taken on the instigating party. To my surprise and disappointment , I was quickly transferred within the organization and ultimately set up for failure , thus resulting in my dismissal.

I know you have to sprinkle a couple of dark faces around the originization (75% in service jobs), to keep up appearances in the community, but just save our people the trouble . You bring us in only to push us out.... I think it's time to expose the TRUTH about Mission and hold them to their MERIT statement. MERCY?, EXCELLENCE?, RESPECT?, INTEGRITY ?, TRUST/TEAMWORK .... Laughable !