Mission Health

Ronald A. Paulus

Good but unpredictable

Current Employee - Caregiver in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The city is a great place to live.

Cons

The upper management is not transparent as to the financial stability of the hospital

Be more transparent as things come up

Meh

I have been working at Mission Health full-time

Pros

Good Hours, that's about it

Cons

low pay and shoddy management

Best Job I Have Ever Had!!!!

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management treats employees fairly. I have been working for the last 10 years. Mission by far is the best place I have ever worked for. I would recommend them to anyone. Everyone in my team got along great. We all worked as a team and tried to make things work more efficiently in our department and as a team.

Cons

The process for being hired on at Mission Hospital can take a few weeks. But overall it is worth the wait. Training in my department took a little while but benefit me in the end as I gained more knowledge and information on how operations worked.

Worst job ever.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Health insurance was pretty good.

Cons

Wow where to begin. Security is super understaffed. Officers being assaulted every day, and no one cares. Being locked up face to face with violent mental patients, while nurses hide. Can't defend yourself, and supervisors hide in vehicles outside.

More security, and let them protect yourselves.

Long days

Former Employee - Paramedic in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People who work there are great, and highly trained. Salery is fair for the area but nothing special. Management is ok.

Cons

Long busy days to earn your money. Staffing levels are low, to increase profit. Most areas of the hospital are like this. Patient care does not suffer mind you, but the staff does.

Hire more staff.

Largest hospital in WNC.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leadership is everywhere. PTO can be occurred when not frozen. Pay is above other hospitals in WNC. Great hospital for new grad advancement. Great Rapid Response Team.

Cons

Management/leadership is everywhere & nowhere. They micro manage everything. Claim they work as a team but when everything goes wrong they can not be found. You can ask for help but they will tell you what you should have done after it is all over. Therefore, help is pretty much not there. Rapid Response will help with anything unless they are busy in another crisis. You feel like you have a "target" on your back if your are not a part of the "good old boys(girls) club". Very top heavy - more people who work in offices than actually work the floor.

Care about the little people the ones who come in contact with the patient. The quality of patient care actually starts when the patient enters the facility not in the dollars you spend on new buildings, land, management salaries etc. Happy team members are infectious which spreads throughout the work environment including patient outcomes, community attitude toward hospital and causes a caring attitude for all. Is that not what we all want in our community?

Great place to bring and grow your career!

Current Employee - Professional Services in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Openness of Senior Leaders in discussing concerns and opportunities. Exceptional caregivers to work with, everyone works to provide a positive patient experience and is supportive with colleagues. The organization invests in the future for the employees.

Cons

Some systems and processes are being updated and some delays occur from time to time.

Keep up the open communication and continue to have the courage to make the decisions which will provide our caregivers and our community with a positive healthcare environment and experience.

Discrimination

Former Employee - Patient Registration in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Patient Registration in Asheville, NC

I worked at Mission Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My paycheck was directing into my checking account.

Cons

I was racially degraded, being called the "N" word ( website would not permit full version) from a veteran employee. The proper steps were taken on my behalf to report this action, however NO action was taken on the instigating party. To my surprise and disappointment , I was quickly transferred within the organization and ultimately set up for failure , thus resulting in my dismissal.

I know you have to sprinkle a couple of dark faces around the originization (75% in service jobs), to keep up appearances in the community, but just save our people the trouble . You bring us in only to push us out.... I think it's time to expose the TRUTH about Mission and hold them to their MERIT statement. MERCY?, EXCELLENCE?, RESPECT?, INTEGRITY ?, TRUST/TEAMWORK .... Laughable !

Senior Management/Board of Directors are not performing

Current Employee - Registred Nurse in Asheville, NC
    Current Employee - Registred Nurse in Asheville, NC

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Immediate Supervisors are good and I am left alone to do my work and allowed to use my own and skills and close to home and there is little problem with traffic

Cons

Management is detached from the realities of the task. Too many managers at the top and they are very egotistical ( CEO and board) very reactive and since there is no competition and NC has very poor laws to protect employee rights they can do as they please. No pay raises or benefit reductions as they wish in order to justify unwise expenditures. Dr Paulus CEO is more concerned with self promotion than running a good outfit

Stop with self promotion and focus on the task and the troops . That's how form a good unit.Military History. Possibly Hire Ex Military to know about accomplishing goals

Programs over People

I have been working at Mission Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have seen a dramatic decline in the "pros" over recent years. I do appreciate their financial assistance with my MSN and that is a plus.

Cons

Management seems to believe, a rah-rah teleconference compensates for lower Christmas bonuses, loss of PTO or lower regular raises despite excellent reviews.
    We hear Mr Paulus discuss how concerned he is with dwindling profits and spiraling costs, yet there doesn't seem to be any facility Mission is not willing to buy or build. If you can't swallow what you already have, why shove more in your mouth?
    It does appear, the board's interest is greater in how well the competition is doing than in how much better we can perform.
    The bottom line; there is a growing apathy amongst the staff that all the corporate "programs" in the world cannot alter. I loathe when staff airs dirty laundry and complains to patients, but they are and you must certainly know you have a problem.
    All we want to do is care for our patients and be compensated fairly.

A CEO should not consider himself so elite; he feels compelled to keep his email, office address and office phone off limits to any employee. It connotes a demeaning attitude that is debilitating to loyalty and abates all incentive. An attitude, good or distasteful, always disseminates through management from the top, and eventually affects the perception of the patient.