Mission Solutions Engineering

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ronald Mason

Great!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to start career

ConsNot enough consistent work sometimes

Once nice place to work is now toxic.

ProsPizza day before layoffs. Layoffs first "officially" brought up by management in November won't happen til April 18. As a special thanks upper management is throwing us a pizza party! Due to all of our hard work and dedication they are spending five dollars on every employee and giving us pizza. Yeah we are that worthless.

ConsOld technology. Customer is cutting back. They fired the president in July. Brought in a new leader. Four months later they fire the new leader and replace him with... Wait for it...the guy they fired originally. Try explaining that one to the Eskimos. I think a kid in kindergarten could run a business better than these incompetent fools.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace yourselves

Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Moorestown, NJ

ProsGood people. Work sometimes challenging. Casual environment. Twenty word minimum exceeds the amount that I can say here.

An excellent example of where not to work.

ConsRound after round of layoffs. They talk of getting new work, but keep coming up short. Convinced that lower rates are the solution. Translation: raises are postponed or cancelled; if you are at the top end of their below average salary scale, you are an endangered species there. If they ever do stumble into new work, there will be no experienced staff to lead it.

Advice to Senior ManagementAxe the good old boy circle running things.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Violinist on the Titanic had a better chance of survival than this company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Moorestown, NJ

Pros1. Friendly people and nice cafeteria.
    2. Cleaning staff does a nice job.
    3. Did I mention the nice cafeteria?

Cons1. MSE gets one star because there wasn't an option for zero stars.
    2. The race is on to see if the cheaply made building will fall first or the company . . . Vegas is betting the company to go under first, though it is neck and neck right now.
    3. New Business! Oh, I forgot there isn't any new business.
    4. Everyone is a manager except about 10% of the people, but fear not, no managers will be laid off in the future.
    5. Benefits. You would be amazed and wouldn't believe it if I told you.
    6. Salaries. Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy below industry standards. Except for management of course.
    7. Management. If you are lucky enough to be friends with these elitists in the glass offices you are doing okay and rest assure you will be promoted soon enough. The rest of you look for the pink slips in the next coming months again.
    8. Layoffs. 4th one in 2 years will be coming to an MSE near you in the next month or two.

Advice to Senior Management1. CEO - Stop trying to date every blonde in the company and work on getting new business like you are paid to do.
    2. How about laying off some of the management instead of the workers. There seems to be a 4-1 ratio of management to workers.
    3. Only path to management is to be buddies with the ones that are there already. If you are friends with them they will create a new job title just to promote you.
    4. How about complimenting an employee when they do something positive. It is nice to be appreciated even when it is expected from you.
    5. Management in the glass houses. How about coming down off your perch and talking to the people who actually pay your salaries? It would be nice if you said hi and even nicer if you actually knew our names.

Future uncertain

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTheir benefits and salary are of the best in the area. Most of your time can be spent off-site in the computer testing suites. The facility is in a nice neighborhood, close to the Moorestown mall, with easy access for out of state commuters.

ConsMSE mismanaged itself to almost half the staff it was 2 years ago, making the environment very unpleasant. Their flexible hours is a double edged sword, in that you may have to support multiple shifts in any given week.

Advice to Senior ManagementASRC needs to step in and replace much of the MSE nepotism with professionals that actually have degrees in business management.

Stayed too long

ProsConvenient location and at an earlier time was a place you wanted to stay.

ConsCompany spiraling out of control - new president seems to be another Petraeus whereas he is too interested in his pursuing female employee. Very obvious of his interest in this woman than pursuing new work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new President that has experience and isn't going through a mid life crisis

Oh the humanity

ProsPros? Hah, that's a good one!

ConsLow pay
    Skills rapidly deteriorate from outdated technology
    Dumb toolboxes become managers

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a job. (This one doesn't count)

All their eggs in one basket

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Moorestown, NJ

ProsThe people are friendly.
    Flexible hours.
    Lots of down time (if you are in to that).

ConsPoor company foresight and apathy at getting new business outside defense sector.
    Lots of down time (if you are not in to that).
    Job experience not easily transferable to private sector.
    Not using modern development processes.
    No room for advancement or growth.
    Continued employment outlook is not good do to Government budget cuts.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't rely totally on defense and Government work, especially with one client, as demonstrated by the Sequestration budget cuts. It was suggested years ago that you try to get some private sector work. That suggestion was ignored, which resulted in MSE suffering heavily with the recent Government budget cuts and the CEO/President being outsted.

So many wonderful people, lots of change

ProsThere are a lot of wonderful people who have devoted their days to the success of the company. Many who sacrifice regularly to ensure quality software products. The work flow has been there for so many years much of the "process" happens seamlessly. They epitomize effective use of CMMi and effective teamwork.

ConsThere's a lot of cultural change going - For a group of people who has operated one way for a long time - the change has created an environment of uneasiness.

Advice to Senior ManagementDuring this time when the contractual environment is changing, as well as the corporate culture, try to provide some level of stability for a fractured set of employees. Even if it isn't company funded, providing social outlets - or more "round table" brown bag lunches with upper management for the worker bees would go a long way to help employee moral.

A company on it's way out

Software Engineer Leader (Current Employee) Moorestown, NJ

ProsThe people are extremely friendly and you can meet a ton of new friends. There is a culture of flexible hours which is right now the best thing going for the place.

ConsManagement and bad luck has really put this company into a tailspin. There is an insane amount of nepotism going on; friends help out friends, but hard work is rarely properly awarded. You often see awards going to the same people whom, in reality, haven't done anything. Several rounds of layoffs have left moral extremely low and there seems to be no "light at the end of the tunnel" as far as gaining new business. Outdated practices are rampant, new ideas or industry-standards are often brushed aside or silenced. There seems to be a huge disconnect with senior leadership and the boots in the fields (although management thinks they "know whats going on"). I wouldn't be surprised if the doors were closed in 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Stop rewarding your friends with high-paying jobs and hire people with actual business degrees. A programmer might not the best person to rise and run a business. Also, cut the fat! There are too many BAD programmers who sit on their butts and don't get their job done. It's an insult to those who work hard to see people slacking off while we're getting pay cuts.

Worked for Mission Solutions Engineering? Contribute to the Community!