Missionary Training Center

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
4.7

CEO

Pros
  • Positive environment and good compensation for a campus job (in 9 reviews)

• You get to interact with a lot of great people, and contribute meaningfully (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours are often difficult to manage, and you often have to do work off the clock (in 2 reviews)

• Sometimes, ok, always, scheduling is really hard to work with, but its worth it (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

An unbelievable "job" if you enjoy missionary work.

I worked at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is not just a cause, it is THE cause. Hard to find a more meaningful job or organization. That can create a lot of pressure, but you also know that you've got better inspiration than just selling a few more widgets. Your coworkers are great, and working with missionaries is seriously great.

It may not be the best thing for your career. However, the skills you gain from teaching can be applicable. And I don't think you can go wrong by working where you are needed, even if it seems to be less than the best move career-wise. What you gain in faith and testimony as a teacher is something other jobs just can't offer.

Cons

The job is demanding. When you have a district that is a challenge, it can really be a challenge and you will be thinking about them all of the time. It can be tough to work with others who don't see things the same way you do.

I haven't been there in a few years, but I would say that my training coordinators and all of the management were just the coolest. That's probably not the right word. I looked up to them all. Very inspirational.

Engaging and fulfilling place to work

Former Employee - Visitor's Center Teacher, English Teacher
    Former Employee - Visitor's Center Teacher, English Teacher

I worked at Missionary Training Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved being mentally engaged all the time while at work; the management taught me so much about how to lead and help employees. I grew so much as a teacher. It is a wonderful job for a student especially, and a great opportunity to learn to interact with others teachers, set goals, and help young people achieve their own goals.

Cons

Company culture can occasionally be difficult as there are a lot of different views on "the right" way to teach such a personal subject as faith. As long as employees were very self-motivated about their own progress, it was a great experience; problems came when teachers or leaders weren't proactive.

Good communication is key. Believe that your teachers are doing the best they can - a culture of negativity will destroy a good work environment. A positive view on the things happening at work will encourage further success.

Amazing mission, lovely people

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are very open and kind.
    You get to contribute to the worldwide missionary effort.
    For part-time students, it's hard to beat the pay (as a teacher, Training Department).
    Laid-back but engaging atmosphere (Development department).
    You learn very applicable workplace skills (in Development).
    Essentially automatic raises every semester for part-timers.
    Up to 6% matched retirement contributions for staff, even 3/4 timers.
    I've been encouraged to apply for promotions more than once.
    I know my boss's boss quite well.

Cons

BYU's HR red tape means the job descriptions are usually pretty vague - don't miss applying because you don't have everything on the list. Do some digging to find (i.e. phone a friend - make one if you don't have one). You can get a better idea of what they're actually after in each particular posting.

In my experience, the well-being and success of our missionaries has always be the first priority, as it should be. But never forget the secondary need to nurture capability in your employees.

The greatest job a student can have.

Current Employee - MTC Teacher in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - MTC Teacher in Provo, UT

I have been working at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work environment, great compensation, and great opportunities for personal growth.
    I have felt so valued, so important, and integral in the teaching process. Being with the missionaries every day is a great way to continue the habits and skills I learned as a missionary.

Cons

You definitely take your work home with you, because you will be thinking, planning, and studying constantly for your missionaries. Sometimes, ok, always, scheduling is really hard to work with, but its worth it.

Continue striving to make the experience and training for the teachers as good as possible. Continue working with schedules to help stuents make it work.

MTC Technology

Current Employee - IT Project Management in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - IT Project Management in Provo, UT

I have been working at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are involved with a lot of really meaningful work. You have a lot of flexibility and responsibility.

Cons

You have to dress up in a white shirt and ti.

There is too much focus on processes and too little focus on people. Without the people, there is no reason for the processes.

Teacher

I worked at Missionary Training Center part-time

Pros

Teaching Training, Coaching Culture and language development with an international input.

Cons

Complicated Schedule, Management Culture is condescending

Great college job for those looking for an decent hourly wage and flexibility

Former Employee - Training Specialist in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Training Specialist in Provo, UT

I worked at Missionary Training Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about the job is the flexibility. I could pick my own schedule so long as i stuck to it and it matched okay with my managers schedule. The management is really great though and they are easy to work with.

Cons

Too much down time. Sometimes i would only have enough work to keep me busy for half of my 4 hour shift each day. I wish i would have had more human interaction on a day to day basis.

A wonderful environment and unparalleled sense of meaning to your work, one of a kind.

I worked at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seeing immediate impact in the missionaries you teach is an incredible feeling - the fact that you are paid at the same time is merely an ancillary benefit

Cons

Scheduling classes around work schedule can be difficult the farther you are in your schooling

Best Job Ever

Former Employee - MTC Teacher in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - MTC Teacher in Provo, UT

I worked at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with young missionaries, great co-workers, great learn how to be a better teacher and person.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Great environment

I worked at Missionary Training Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Decent pay for part-time job.

Cons

Employees face inflexibility of scheduling.

Missionary Training Center Photos