Missouri Baptist Medical Center

Steven H. Lipstein

1. Great team of people to work with

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Missouri Baptist Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, room for overtime, flexible scheduling, very knowledgeable support staff. Free gifts yearly. Free little luncheons at least once a year. Free parking in the covered garage.

Cons

There was difficulty transferring to another floor. The floor I was on was very busy and often it was hard to get a break until after 8 hours of work (in a 12 hour midnight shift).

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the management focused on all the good their staff was doing instead of trying daily to audit (catch) anyone doing anything minutely wrong. Also physically helping the staff when they are overloaded instead of constantly attending meetings and being MIA in an office or off the floor.

2. Great Atmosphere

Current Employee - Medical Technologist
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist

I have been working at Missouri Baptist Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a very great place to work, very collaborative. Most people mesh well and are very willing to help others. You can always walk the halls and get many smiles, and "good morning," and "hi, can I help you" comments as you pass. People go out of their way to help others. I find that I love the people, and I love the place.

Cons

There have been some recent changes that were very poorly managed. It has freaked out employees who are running in droves. I wish they would just wait and see but I understand the fear. I'm looking elsewhere for a pay increase (hope to return to the company later!) and a change in job duties. There is often the feeling that the employees' opinions and inputs go nowhere.

Advice to Management

If you're going to have an "employee survey" you should work harder to either show you are addressing our concerns or explaining why you cannot fix what we request you to fix. It's ok if you can't fix it, but you really must acknowledge and validate our requests instead of ignoring completely the items you choose not to fix or cannot fix.

3. Excellent employer and work environment

Pros

Well respected hospital with outstanding staff members and physicians.

Cons

Some inflexiblity in working hours. Would be better if it would all for a better work-life-balance.

5. It was overall very positive.

Former Employee - Operating Room Technician
    Former Employee - Operating Room Technician

Pros

Being able to work with a great medical team, and it was a fun atmosphere to be apart of. Great training program.

Cons

The cons of the job was only being limited to one part of the hospital. I worked in the operating room for my entire employment.

Advice to Management

It would be great if there were more performance reviews, because only being part time and working in the summers it was difficult to know where you stand.

6. Missouri Baptist Medical Center - one of the best places to work in St. Louis

I have been working at Missouri Baptist Medical Center full-time

Pros

great culture and work/life balance

Cons

nonfor profit limits the salary

7. Good hospital.

Pros

Great staff, good insurance, new facility.

Cons

Same problems as many other hospitals. Low pay, lower raises, high turnover.

8. Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Missouri Baptist Medical Center full-time

Pros

Big Picture Outlook; BJC/MoBap have a mission and goals and they are communicated regularly Good facilities, clean environment, supplies on hand Good initial training

Cons

Negative culture within many nurses especially senior nurses Too many/too often policy changes with poor explanation Odd management styles, biased communication, poor visibility, sense of favorites Significant red tape/unfairness regarding HR type issues such as: shifts (day/night), vacation, pay, cancels, etc

Advice to Management

Actually do something about the culture change that is recognized as needed. Better prioritization/communication of new roll outs in education and policy. Higher wages to nurses to be more competitive with market and even other BJC hospitals. Be more fair with regards to handling employee issues and less favorites

9. Very nice hospital.

Current Employee - Radiology in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Radiology in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Employees get along very well, and its a generally good place to work.

Cons

Seems like radiology has a lot of issues with staffing. More work and not enough people to do it. Also not too much opportunity to advance or change in your career. They wont cross train anyone

10. Respiratory Therapist

Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Creve Coeur, MO
    Former Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Creve Coeur, MO

I worked at Missouri Baptist Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Company to work for.

Cons

I really do not have any cons at this time

11. Great care givers, but forget personal time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Town and Country, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Town and Country, MO

I worked at Missouri Baptist Medical Center full-time

Pros

Very passionate people, some great executives. Very patient centric environment. The team is very driven to make the hospital a great place for care.

Cons

Struggle with the idea of personal time. High expectations anchored with seemingly misguided metrics. Poor conflict skills, which leads to a lot of back door conversations. Have a tough time getting past the daily issues to build something below the surface.

Advice to Management

Open up. Especially with each other.

RSS Feed </> Embed