Missouri Department of Social Services Reviews

CEO

1. Consistent employment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Missouri Department of Social Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job security and fair opportunity of organization entry.

Cons

Lack of financial opportunity and career growth. Organizational failure to recognize employee potential through training and educational experience relevant to agency needs and goals.

Quality individuals often fail to be retained due to our agencies inability to offer competitive opportunities of career and salary advancement.

2. Good entry-level position

Current Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Nevada, MO
    Current Employee - Eligibility Specialist in Nevada, MO

I have been working at Missouri Department of Social Services

Pros

Health insurance, life insurance, retirement savings account, 3 weeks paid annual leave, 3 weeks paid sick leave each year, salary instead of hourly.

Cons

Management from the central office down needs improvement. Not a very friendly work environment. Policies change often. Train yourself, basically. One year of probation before you can work on your own, which makes for many boring days in your cubicle.

3. Good job

Former Employee - Administrative Hearings Officer in Jefferson City, MO
    Former Employee - Administrative Hearings Officer in Jefferson City, MO

I worked at Missouri Department of Social Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved working for Mo DSS as a child support hearing officer because I loved writing and the challenge. Great training and benefits.

Cons

The pay is terrible. I have nothing else negative to say because benefits are good.

I think management did great! If management had any pull (which they don't) to effect a change in pay for Missouri DSS they should.

5. Needs Improvement

I have been working at Missouri Department of Social Services

Pros

The benefits package is okay.

Cons

Recent changes due to "reorganization" have left the department in horrible disarray. The training provided to new employees is grossly inadequate. Staff retention and job satisfaction are major issues that are not being addressed. Use of outdated and/or inefficient technology is a constant source of frustration. Missouri state employees are consistently among the lowest, if not THE LOWEST, paid state employees in the nation.

Please listen to your frontline staff and become familiar with the job duties and policies, especially before implementing new procedures that are not well thought out and incomplete.

Great Entry Level Position

Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist
    Former Employee - Eligibility Specialist

I worked at Missouri Department of Social Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Position is great for those entering the field of social service/social work. Gives you the ability to test your limits and find out if you have what it takes for stressful situations

Cons

Little room for innovation. Lack in communication from top down

7. Children's Division is a soul sucking, life stealing job with zero time off and unpaid mandatory overtime!!!

Former Employee - Children's Service Worker in Joplin, MO
    Former Employee - Children's Service Worker in Joplin, MO

I worked at Missouri Department of Social Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One pro of working for Children's Division is that you get holidays off and are supposed to work 8-5pm Monday thru Friday. However, this does not stop parents and foster parents from texting and calling. The insurance isn't horrible but getting time off to go to a doctor is nearly impossible. Co-workers on the same level offer help when needed but will also stab you in the back if it will earn them points with management. In essence, it's every man/woman for themselves.

Cons

I was forced to give my cell phone # to clients who called and texted me at all hours with no regard for my time off. If I didn't answer, they called my supervisor or the hotline and I was tracked down by management. I never got a single full day or night off during my employment there. I never got paid for any of the overtime I worked. We were supposed to get permission before we worked OT but when clients tracked you down at midnight it was impossible. I usually worked 60-80 hours weekly but got paid for 40. Then if I had a doctor's appointment and needed some time off, I had to use my vacation or sick time. We rarely got raises. I worked with a "lifer" who hadn't had a raise in 8 years. Management worked against the workers and there was no "team" mentality. People live in fear of losing their jobs. The turnover for 2012 was 38% and was 35% in 2013. In 2014, they have already surpassed both of those numbers. If parents complain, management believes every word they say and turn on their workers even when there is documentation that the parents are abusive and/or mentally ill and/or drug addicts.

Unit supervisors and above should remember what it was like when they were doing case management. They should also be on side of their workers when conflict comes up instead of automatically siding with parents who already hate us because our department took their kids. Also, in my former office, supervisors and upper management are not allowed to fraternize with the people in lower levels, which means they can't be friends or even go to lunch. In the break room they separate themselves from the other workers and can only eat with other supervisors. This is ridiculous. They don't make that much more than the lower levels. When employees crack from the pressures, they would prefer to just get rid of them rather than helping them handle the stress appropriately.

8. GET OUT FAST! I should have taken this advise when I got it!

Current Employee - Youth Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Youth Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Missouri Department of Social Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Overtime (if you like constant stress and don't mind loosing your mind), Getting kids who actually want to make a change. This was an alright first job out of college but I quickly learned that I couldn't stay there longer than 2 years and that's pushing it!

Cons

In my location the management shows favorites to some employees which cause stress on everyone else. You have NO LIFE, I feel like my building wanted this to be your life. You get constant calls on your off days to work. Pointless "team" meetings\discussions that solve ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I completely understand why turn over rates are so high! I'm on a serious hunt to get out of this HELL HOLE. Schedules are HORRIBLE.

You had to do the exact same job but since you moved up you forgot all the hell your now "team" (use that loosely bc its not a team) has to go through. Yeah changes are being made for the best BUT no program is perfect.

9. YOUTH SPECIALIST: Void of personal life and responsible management

I worked at Missouri Department of Social Services

Pros

Benefits- unlimited overtime (you are forced to stay or leave your "home" location.)
    unless you harm the kids or staff its impossible to be fired

Cons

The hours are excessive and all over. My schedule changed every other day LITERALLY. You are lucky to get 2 complete free days off. You will barely get any time off approved. Holidays and weekends forget about it! My manager would rally up the kids and leave the staff members to be attacked. With the just 2 staff, its a matter of when not if you get attacked. All of the training is slammed on you. Excessive and tedious trainings. Your first 2-3 days will be manual readings 8 hours each. In addition to being a youth specialist you also be a certified med aide ( administration of meds, med complaints, med refills) you basically become the nurse, counselor, tutor and personal advocate. They won't reveal that to you until you attend all your special little trainings. You do everything, must document everything, while watching every movement and listening to every conversation. At my location you had to log at MINIMUM every 15 minutes. You will be exhausted. All this work and you are paid the least the kids will remind you. I walked out at six weeks. No paycheck is worth the stress of all that work, paperwork, and guarding of your personal safety. This profession has a high turn over for a reason!

You forget we are the back bone to these facilities. Ease up on the constant changeups and hold YOURSELF accountable with the group. Alot of your facility managers need to be fired. Everyone should be made to adhere to policy. Do surprise checks on your managers. You will be surprised on what you will find.

10. Falling apart

I worked at Missouri Department of Social Services

Pros

Easy job to learn.

Cons

Upper management is not in touch with front line staff. Current restructuring of Family Support without time frames or insight is alienating staff and clients. There are no rewards for doing a good job and no consequences for doing a poor job.

Get in the field and listen to your staff.

11. A good place to work if you are committed to social services and handle stress well.

I worked at Missouri Department of Social Services full-time

Pros

Supportive management and co-workers, generous vacation and sick time, flexibility in schedules

Cons

The agency is seriously understaffed workloads are huge which can be stressful. The technology used is also very outdated and makes office operations less efficient than they could be.

accountability needs to be improved