Missouri Department of Social Services

Missouri Department of Social Services Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

A good place to work if you are committed to social services and handle stress well.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive management and co-workers, generous vacation and sick time, flexibility in schedules

ConsThe agency is seriously understaffed workloads are huge which can be stressful. The technology used is also very outdated and makes office operations less efficient than they could be.

Advice to Senior Managementaccountability needs to be improved

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

YOUTH SPECIALIST: Void of personal life and responsible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits- unlimited overtime (you are forced to stay or leave your "home" location.)
    unless you harm the kids or staff its impossible to be fired

ConsThe hours are excessive and all over. My schedule changed every other day LITERALLY. You are lucky to get 2 complete free days off. You will barely get any time off approved. Holidays and weekends forget about it! My manager would rally up the kids and leave the staff members to be attacked. With the just 2 staff, its a matter of when not if you get attacked. All of the training is slammed on you. Excessive and tedious trainings. Your first 2-3 days will be manual readings 8 hours each. In addition to being a youth specialist you also be a certified med aide ( administration of meds, med complaints, med refills) you basically become the nurse, counselor, tutor and personal advocate. They won't reveal that to you until you attend all your special little trainings. You do everything, must document everything, while watching every movement and listening to every conversation. At my location you had to log at MINIMUM every 15 minutes. You will be exhausted. All this work and you are paid the least the kids will remind you. I walked out at six weeks. No paycheck is worth the stress of all that work, paperwork, and guarding of your personal safety. This profession has a high turn over for a reason!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou forget we are the back bone to these facilities. Ease up on the constant changeups and hold YOURSELF accountable with the group. Alot of your facility managers need to be fired. Everyone should be made to adhere to policy. Do surprise checks on your managers. You will be surprised on what you will find.

Falling apart

ProsEasy job to learn.

ConsUpper management is not in touch with front line staff. Current restructuring of Family Support without time frames or insight is alienating staff and clients. There are no rewards for doing a good job and no consequences for doing a poor job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the field and listen to your staff.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

Saint Louis, MO

ProsThey pay you- a little

ConsI honestly cannot think of anything that would make this job worse. The actual work is easy and could not be more boring, I felt bad about myself for having such a meaningless job. It really is just like babysitting- expect babysittng is more rewarding. Also, they wont tell you what your hours will be until after you're hired, and even then shifts often change last-minute. You will not have a life outside of work. Do yourself a favor and work ANYWHERE else.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees deserve to be treated with respect.

Youth are great, management not so great

Montgomery City, MO

ProsCan be a fun environment to work in, lots of activities you plan for the youth. Meet a lot of different types of personalities, allows you to work on your communication skills, leadership skills, risk assessment, and deescalation techniques. Great benefits, its state, 2 weeks vacation from the start.

ConsManagement, you are treated as though you are easily replaceable. Your social life is nil to none, work is priority. When a restraint is taking place, you are stuck in lock-down mode. Can be threatened and some possibility of getting hurt during restraints or by youth. Schedule never changes!! Stuck with same days all the time, no rotation at all!! Have to switch or take vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake pride in your youth specialists. They do all the hard work without any praise and its a hard job to handle and they need to know they are doing a great job!

The caseloads are unbelievable, COA standards are 20 or less, yet most seasoned workers have 32 cases or more.

Children's Service Worker (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe responsibilities required for Family Centered Services are very high.

ConsThe expectations for the worker are unbelievable in that if your client does not meet with you for whatever reason, the worker is blamed for not meeting the required amount of visits that month. There is little sympathy expressed by any management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe upper management is unfamiliar with the new standards that are being passed down to the frontline worker. FACES has made the computer and the required reports more important than the client because the workers are overwhelmed meeting the many deadlines.

Fun and supportive office environment, upper management out of touch with field workers needs

CSW I Investigation and Assessments (Current Employee)
    Aurora, MO

ProsDepending on your office you can really have some great co-workers. I had the best co-workers I have ever had in any job.

ConsThere is no family time if you are an investigator. The technology and FACES system is completely outdated, and wastes a lot of workers time. No incentive to stay, no real career path, and for the amount of time and work definitely not worth the pay. Any innovation must be squelched by the CQI (continuous quality improvement) program. The organization is more focused on policy and procedure rather than people and families. Upper management is incompetent, immediate supervisors seem to know whats going on,but not always. The whole process of social services is to C.Y.A.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a program that will attract and keep college grads. Make a set of standard operating procedures for each circuit so that every county is on the same page. Upgrade your investigation system (FACES). Get new computers. There is no set standard for how to do investigations where the family lives in MO, but the alleged perp. lives out of state. Fix it, you cant apply a POE finding and MO statue to a no MO resident. I suggest an automatic downgrade to an assessment in order to keep it in the records.

Started out great

Saint Louis, MO

ProsIf you enjoy working with children this is the job for you.

ConsA child can ruin your life, by simply lying on you whenever they feel like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome to work and do your job!!!

Terrible pay, terrible hours, easy job.

Kansas City, MO

ProsEasy job: It's glorified babysitting with a little bit of counseling.
    Easy to get: They will hire almost anybody that can breathe.

ConsBad and unpredictable hours: The schedule is different every single week, I had a total of one weekend off the whole time I worked there.
    Dangerous: You have to restrain the kids when they act up, and you can get hit or kicked etc. in the process.
    Low pay: The state of Missouri has the second lowest-paid state employees in the country. Poverty level wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou could attract better employees that stayed longer if you paid a living wage.

Helping the community

Eligibilty Specialist (Current Employee)
    Liberty, MO

Pros* If you like helping people this is a great place to work.
    * The benefits are pretty good. Time off is generous.
    * It is a pretty pleasant place to work. It is not usually a hostile enviornment.
    * Hours are good and have option for a four day work week. :)

Cons* The pay is horrible! Actually right now Missouri is paid the second to the lowest in the US.
    * The good benefits are decreasing and with pay so low, morale is down.
    * Professional standards are not set high.
    * No raises or encouragment to advance. A very dead end job. :(

Advice to Senior Management* Please set standards higher when determining who to hire.
    * I think supervisors should have to do our job some each week so that they can keep up on what we do as our policys and programs are constantly changing.
    * Supervisors need to be held to a much higher standard on a professional level.

Worked for Missouri Department of Social Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Missouri Department of Social Services reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Missouri Department of Social Services employees.