Missouri State University

Updated January 27, 2015
4.3

Missouri State University Interim President Clifton M. "Clif" Smart, III
Clifton M. "Clif" Smart, III

Pros
  • The campus is beautiful and students (in 4 reviews)

• MSU is a great place to study and education level is high and constructive (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management don't communicate with each other well (in 3 reviews)

• Sometimes unrealistic expectations for student workers (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I learned a lot of practical skills working as student web developer.

Current Employee - Student Web Developer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Student Web Developer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Missouri State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My hours within my office were very flexible, I choose what hours I worked on each day. They really let me work around my school schedule.

Cons

Because of a student policy I was only allowed to work 20 hours a week during the school year, and under 40 during breaks and summer. 20 hours a week was hard to live on.

Great place to work if you can avoid the politics.

I have been working at Missouri State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for graduate students to work and pay for tuition at the same time. Graduate assistantships are challenging and provide a lot of good opportunities to network for someone hoping to make a career on a college campus.

Cons

There are a lot of politics involved with being a graduate assistant at Missouri State, especially if you find yourself working in the corporate office or one of the academic departments. People sometimes have a hard time minding their own business and the gossip chain can be unsettling.

Graduate students need a bigger stipend in order to make the assistantships worthwhile for some people.

Great environment and opportunity for per-course teaching.

Current Employee - Per Course Instructor/Marketing in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Per Course Instructor/Marketing in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Missouri State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love teaching per-course at Missouri State's marketing department. I have support when I need it but the independence to create a class schedule and curriculum of my own. The compensation is great for per course.

Cons

I wish there were more formally shared resources. My first semester was definitely the hardest, but each semester gets better and I am able to improve my teaching.

A training or seminar especially for per course business instructors would be helpful. Comparing notes like how many points are offered in a class or tips and tricks to make the first semester easier would have helped me when I started out.

Great student job.

Current Employee - Student Employee in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Student Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Missouri State University

Pros

I was a student worker at the Missouri State Bookstore & they have some amazing mangers running things like customer service, clothing, and the convenient stores. Awesome managers who understand how to lead. I would follow these mangers just about anywhere because they just understand how to motivate. It is a very relaxed atmosphere not very competitive. And saving the best for last, they work around class schedules!!
    Great college job.

Cons

Some managers are grumpy, sometimes hard to be around.
    A lot of student employees you don't to chat or meet any big dogs in the company/school.

The managers actually overseeing/interacting with the students are doing great! The Director is a nice lady but doesn't know a lot of student workers. Direct Managers are the glue to this bookstore & holding an amazing team for the face of the bookstore. Cliff Smart should be proud!

Supportive office, campus not so much

I have been working at Missouri State University

Pros

Learned a lot, especially about how politics can affect what your office gets. The students are absolutely the highlight.

Cons

Salary is pretty much as low as they can get away with, honestly. There are plenty of better paying institutions out there.

Great place to be a student worker!

Former Employee - Microcomputer Student Analyst in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Microcomputer Student Analyst in Springfield, MO

I worked at Missouri State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, easy going, understanding supervisors

Cons

None that I have encountered.

Keep it up!

Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Missouri State University

Pros

Great place, generous stipend. Lovely city.

Cons

Not that I can think of.

Keep up the good work.

Great learning experience--wish they'd hire me full time!

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Missouri State University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're lucky enough to awarded a Graduate Teaching Assitantship in the English department, be prepared for an intense two years. As a teacher, you'll be closely guided by experts in the field and may be able to not only teach composition but poetry, fiction, non-fiction, or TESOL. Best two years of my life and I miss it!

Cons

The pay isn't great but the tuition waiver makes it worth it. I don't have first hand experience, but have heard it can be difficult to advance in any department and the salary is considerably lower than other state universities. Springfield is a fine college town, but may not be somewhere you'd want to settle. The Queen City of the Ozarks is also in the Bible belt; something to consider if you're not a conservative Christian.

Student Jobs are pretty good.

Former Employee - Communications Professional in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Communications Professional in Springfield, MO

I worked at Missouri State University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible around your class and homework schedule. If you live on campus or near the bearline your commute is free and relatively easy.

Cons

Pay is terrible. 7 or 8 dollars an hour max

Offer higher paid for the more skilled or difficult jobs around campus.

It's Own Little Community

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Missouri State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of perks-extensive amount of vacation, time off between Christmas and New Years that you are off but don't apply to your vacation time. Health clinic on campus. A sense of community and energy. Tuition credit.

Cons

Compensation is low. Can be political at times with office drama that is allowed to fester. It kind of depends on the department, though.

Offer more opportunities for current employees to move around to other positions. When hiring, don't limit yourselves to just those who have had that exact job title at another University. Consider transferable skills as well.

Missouri State University Photos