Mitchell International Reviews

117 reviews filtered by
3.1
Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun
Alex Sun

Pros
  • I got to commiserate with some great people about all the crap we had to endure at this place (in 11 reviews)

• Good people to work with and fair compensation (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a myth, but celebrated at Mitchell (in 3 reviews)

• Close minded senior management staff (in 4 reviews)

1. I analyzed medical claims for AAA Michigan and administered benefits.

Former Employee - Claims Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

worked with a great team of medical claims specialists for a large company that provided essential benefits and perks for a well rounded work force and personal advancement.

Cons

not enough company sponsored family events such as picnics, ball games, etc.

keep everyone in the loop about hiring and downsizing.

The Mitchell way is an illusion for employees and a lie for customers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Newer facilities
    - Cafeteria and gym on site
    - Lots of tools for CRM, ERP and Expense Management

Cons

- Obsolete products especially on the Collision Repair side. The organization has been completely incompetent to release mobile, web based and platform centric applications. It got overpowered very quickly by the competition and has been extremely slow to react
    - Lack of vision and charisma from current management leading to employee low morale, disappointing product development and poor decision making process
    - Unfair and opinion biased performance review system which seems to reward incompetent and unaccountable people. High performers don't get promoted or rewarded properly on the other hand
    - Below market benefits (20% to 30% in some cases) especially with base salaries. Merit increases are random, very low for some and insanely high for others based on qualitative criteria
    - Good ol' boy network rewarding an elite few; this group is exempt of everything and spans across Management, IT, Product Management, Marketing and Sales to name a few. No matter how many misses, customers' complaints, large IT failures... they still come on top with a slap on the wrist and a huge bonus at the end of the year!!!
    - New equity firm KKR has pushed the organization to lower expenses to its maximum, decrease investments and constantly re-tool

- Get rid of the ol' boy network and invest in a modern, fair and driven management team
    - Invest in your products, technology and people to deliver the best experience possible to your clients
    - Reward people on merit and achievements and not on opinions or perceptions. Let go of lazy, unaccountable, uncaring and lousy staff quickly but promote & grow high performers
    - Believe what your preach. The Mitchell Way is just complete BS and stop thinking people will continue drinking the cool aid

Lesson learned regarding what I don't want in a job

Former Contractor - Customer Service Specialist in Coppell, TX
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Specialist in Coppell, TX

I worked at Mitchell International as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Overtime pay is great, new Coppell, TX, office is fairly nice

Cons

Jobs were being outsourced to Mexico when I left, management slacked a lot, no holidays off (only Christmas--not even Thanksgiving or 4th of July), except management gets holidays off. We all worked almost every weekend and 10 hour work days, but management never stepped foot in the office on a weekend (they all did standard 8-5 shifts, 40 hour weeks). Basically, the problem was management. Customer service positions aren't allowed to even go to the restroom when they need to--have to adhere to a very specific schedule. Corporate doesn't interact with other branches much. When they had career seminars we weren't even allowed to watch the streams from Coppell because it would "take away from production". In other words, no support for career advancement.

Upper management is doing what they can. Lower management and team leads work 40 hour, comfy schedules. They bark orders and go home while their employees are working 50 hours, 6 days a week. Don't sit around on the phone and gossip while you're chewing out your employees for a low service level. Get on the queues and phone lines yourself and fight alongside your warriors.

Relieved to be gone

I worked at Mitchell International (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked alongside a lot of good people.

Cons

Products are inferior and have been for years. Always trying to play catch up. The sales team continues to sell things that don't exist. They are asking people to do much more with less. Very stressful environment.

Put together strong products and sell them. Quit making pieces to satisfy a single customer.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Mitchell International

Pros

Work environment, company culture, atmosphere

Cons

Takes a while for transitions

Liar, Liar, Pants on FIRE !!!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Mitchell International

Pros

Most employees are hard working and conscientious about their role in selling and supporting our customer base.

Cons

Middle and upper management live in a different world. Most of them talk the talk, but DON'T OR WON'T WALK THE WALK. They encourage team work and career advancement but continue to down size every department laying off superior employees with superior skills. This will always lead to lower profits and the loss of business in the long run.

STOP...LOOK & LISTEN !!!

More good than bad...

I worked at Mitchell International

Pros

Smart people, respected and trusted company.

Cons

Too political, mgmt. needs to be more transparent, products falling behind in some areas.

More transparency in decisions, planning and communication.

9. Software Developer Intern

Former Intern - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Really liked the people working there and the company vibe. There's many activities to get the employees up and socializing.

Cons

The work was very easy. The only challenging part was picking up new tools and getting set up. Other than that it wasn't really challenging.

The Mitchell Way is not the way...

Former Employee - Research Manager
    Former Employee - Research Manager

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

- Decent pay
    - Some of the people you meet are pretty great

Cons

- Upper Management is pretty bad - Lack of interaction and grasp of day to day activities of teams they represent.
    - Core values that are championed by HR are not actually applied in day to day operations and are more for show for the company website.
    - Managers that can talk their way out of issues with Upper Management due to lack of understanding of day to day operations will deflect to lower level employees.
    - A lot of Opinion used to determine growth in company rather than track record.
    - In my experience after 10+ years with the company VPs are put in charge of teams and departments without having any prior experience with the group or understanding of what they do.
    - A lot of compartmentalization where groups of people that have varying job types and responsibilities are all "phone people" or "support people".
    - Employee surveys are given every year and consistently bad performance reviews for people leaders never lead to any kind of action taken towards them. A lot of "It's not us, it's you."

- Take your employees seriously.
    -Take employee surveys seriously - and take action against repeat offenders.
    - If a manager has received several complaints with HR then it is probably a good idea to keep the person under a microscope for a while instead of brushing off employee complaints.

No No No

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Mitchell International

Pros

decent salary (I suppose)
    I would say if you have learned how to cheat the system, you could do very well for yourself.
    I honestly can't think of anything else.

Cons

Where do I begin...
    Ego centric. Everyone believes they are better than anyone else. You are treated by your pay grade.
    People are overworked and stressed out while others just coast along.
    People win awards who do not deserve them. When I say do not deserve...I mean they work remote and go surfing while other people slave away at their cubicles.

Leave. Just leave. And the company needs to hire a people who haven't been infected with the diseases culture festering in this organization.

Mitchell International Photos