Mitchell International

Updated January 22, 2015
3.1

Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun
Alex Sun

Pros
  • I got to commiserate with some great people about all the crap we had to endure at this place (in 11 reviews)

• Good people to work with and fair compensation (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a myth, but celebrated at Mitchell (in 3 reviews)

• Close minded senior management staff (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Not a bad place depending on what you do

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Newer facilities, decent benefits and competitive pay. As a member of the internal IT staff I had the opportunity to work with some great people across the organization.

Cons

Work life balance and team culture changes based on which division/products you're working on. Can be challenging at times keeping up with the constant org changes.

Benefits galore. Competitive pay. Vague career path. Unbelievable people.

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time

Pros

My flexibility as a remote employee is superb. My manager has complete trust that I will get the job done well, and until I give him reason to believe differently he gives me complete freedom and trust to run my business as I see fit. Pay is very competitive. Willing to hire those outside the industry who are aggressive, creative, and confident. I know that I will get whatever support I need to achieve my goals.

Cons

Few, in my opinion. A big one is that a significant career path is difficult to map. Though the company is big enough to have multiple options, it is also fragmented enough that it is difficult to see where else to fit in. As internal jobs post it is hard to tell what one might be qualified for. In my role I only have two superiors between me and executive level employees, so someone needs to leave, get fired, or kick the bucket for vacate a position. And I cannot foresee that happening in the near future.

Map out a career path that makes sense. Challenge us to not remain stagnant in our current roles but seek to excel and achieve promotions. Make those promotions worth it financially and especially career-wise. Give promotions to those who demonstrate not only competence but also a significant zeal for making significant career moves, not just for those looking for a pay bump.

Company is great to work for. Good benefits. Great people. Got laid off, outsourcing support.

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Until I got laid off this position was a guaranteed job since the call center was getting an increased number of calls.

Cons

Some of the less pleasant things that I needed to do were fill out a self assessment, goals and other related information.

Good growth potential to a point

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open to new ideas. Gym. Good growth for junior and mid-level people.

Cons

Vague path to upper level promotions.

Map career paths in writing.

Low pay for a lot of different tasks

Former Employee - Vehicle Appraiser
    Former Employee - Vehicle Appraiser

I worked at Mitchell International part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers willing to help

Cons

Low pay
    Rushed training
    Too many different tasks
    No chance for advancement

Management is the major problem

Former Employee - Customer Service in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Coppell, TX

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for entry level jobs, growing company, regular incentives based on performance, clean and accommodating office space

Cons

Overtime nearly every week (including Saturdays for most APD departments), lack of communication between departments, regular attempts to outsource positions, management slacks off while barking orders, difficult to become converted from temporary to permanent, appraisers work every Saturday and customer service phone reps work 10+ hour shifts every day and rotate Saturdays, management acts like a "club", strong atmosphere of nepotism

Fight on the battlefield with your soldiers once in a while. If you're mandating so much overtime to "catch up", maybe you could be in production to help catch up too. Don't stand around and talk about things that aren't work related and take extra long lunch breaks while your employees are breaking a sweat just to compensate for being understaffed. Hire the right people, then treat the right people with the respect they deserve. Establish better communication between departments. Maybe then your employees won't joke about "The Mitchell Way" as being lied to and misled by management.

Good if you are in the right team

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance. Good campus.
    Good Salary/Benefits. Company has been seriously doing exercises to build a brand.
    HR has been taking initiatives to make the place more employee friendly.
    Company has been going agile.

Cons

This might be dependent completely on the team you work for.

Lot of politics. Management lacks vision. Lot of effort gets wasted on stuff which are completely useless due to the lack of vision and politics. Criticism of the management team is not welcome. The turnover in my team has been pretty high - but no steps has been done to identify the reason and fix it. Teams tend to play the blame game on any issue rather than stepping up and solving it. Lot of layoffs.

Identify inefficient middle management and get rid of it. Identify people who really gets the work done and reward them. Welcome 360 degree feedback.

Good place to work but needs to improve.

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer III
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer III

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most colleagues are good, hard-working people. They understand what they are trying to do and do it well. The WCS staff is very knowledgeable about the industry.

Cons

The company is mired in unchangeable processes. Suggestions to change things are met with "Yeah, we are looking at that." Years go by and no changes are ever done. Some employees seem stuck and have no motivation. I tried several times to do technical education and was met with 'Meh, who cares?" Endless employee surveys list Communcation as the number 1 issue but no details are collected. Alex Sun said in one quarterly meeting that he had tried everything he could think of to help with the issue with no success.
    The company does seem to have an unwritten policy to lay off higher paid experienced employees in favor of lower paid entry level staff.

Stop giving employees generic surveys. They will continue to list Communication as a problem as suggestions are ignored and that category is the best fit for this issue.
    Look seriously at those suggestions. If there is a reason they can't be done, tell the employee. If not, get more details and engage the employee to implement it.

Pretty Good Work Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice Campus/Building
    Flexible Schedule
    Corporate Structure Improving
    Management and C-level communication with employees
    Pay Is Competitive
    People are friendly

Cons

Management lacks vision and too much shifting direction
    Constant moving people around from team to team
    Product release management is terrible, with chaotic deployment cycles
    Very buggy systems. Constantly fire fighting issues.
    Way too much outsourcing to India. It has caused major issues with code quality
    Too much process
    Some people there too long. Need new blood.

Remove some of the process... its way too much. Stop shifting direction so much. Stop moving developers from team to team.

Meh...

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It can be a good place to work if you don't care about producing quality products or delighting the customer.

Cons

Mitchell is faced with the hard realities of driving the business purely on short-sighted financials for way to long. Non-existed product quality and more than a decade of technology catch-up to do. Not a company for those who value engineering.

Establish a meaningful vision. Find the company's identity and fix the hiring practices. Learn to trust.

Mitchell International Photos