Mitchell International Reviews

Reset
2.9
Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun
Alex Sun

Pros
  • Many great people working there (in 11 reviews)

• Good people to work with and fair compensation (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is a myth, but celebrated at Mitchell (in 3 reviews)

• Close minded senior management staff (in 4 reviews)

1. Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks typical of a software firm, including casual dress, sand volleyball and ping-pong. Mitchell has a quality management group and are willing to invest in employee development.

Cons

There are limited growth opportunities as the firm is regional. While they're growing internationally, the local market in San Diego isn't experiencing significant growth.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring smart motivate young engineers and business majors from the great pool of talent in San Diego and try and avoid strings of layoffs prior to company sales as this worries your young talent.

2. Enjoyed my time

Former Contractor - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Diego, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Technical Recruiter in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance Good tools/resources Good product

Cons

Politics Most people were great to work with unfortunately, my manager was not

Advice to Management

Listen to new ideas

3. Product Management

Former Employee - Product Management in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International (More than 5 years)

Pros

Location, location, location. San Diego is a great place to live and work, and Mitchell is San Diego's largest independent software provider.

Cons

Small company serving a staid industry (insurance), so limited growth.

Managers were awful

Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Loved the promotion of healthy lifestyles. There was a nice gym and company incentives for employees to work out (company sports tournaments, yoga classes, races) and emphasis on eating right (healthy food snacks around the company and newsletters with recipes) - Co-workers were great, made a lot of friendships during employment. - One of my co-workers gave me the Microsoft Excel bible, and I got really good at the program through projects. - Worked here as a college student (part-time and summer intern) and had good exposure to corporate environment. Liked that the company was big enough that I could help out with different departments outside of my own, and was not stuck doing the same thing everyday

Cons

- Lack of training and managerial support. - Managers/Upper level management made me feel worthless. Direct manager barely cared to train me and was always wrapped up in his own projects. I was often left with nothing to do, so I had to go around the company, offering my help to other managers and departments. - Upper level manager in my department was extremely egotistical and rude - not to mention sexist! As mentioned above, I received very little training from my direct manager, and was ridiculed/scolded by upper manager for doing things incorrectly. The upper manager in my department always spoke in condescending tones, and talked to me as if I didn't understand anything. - My position at Mitchell International was not taken seriously. A lot of my assigned projects died off because they were frivolous in nature, and managers would often forget what I was working on, unless I bothered to update them once in a while. - Was paid very little in comparison to other interns in other departments. - Seemed to be consensus between co-workers about dislike for upper management (at least in the department that I worked in)

Advice to Management

If you are going to hire ANYONE, even an intern, treat them with a little bit more respect. I felt like I was an outsider for 6 months, and was almost a burden to my managers. Going into the internship, I expected to learn a lot, and create some meaningful work - not be left in the corner to find my own projects to work on. In addition, upper managers need to get off their high horses and listen to their employees.

Good Company need some improvment...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance, Nice Gym, friendly people!

Cons

Payscale, Raises, and too much red tape very siloed

Advice to Management

New visionary leadership with decisive decision making for company direction!

7. Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International

Pros

Had two really great supervisors. Overall atmosphere was relaxed and open. The people who worked there were very nice and learning was encouraged with various workshops hosted by employees throughout the week.

Cons

Technologies were out dated due to customer tech requirements.

The Mitchell way is an illusion for employees and a lie for customers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Newer facilities - Cafeteria and gym on site - Lots of tools for CRM, ERP and Expense Management

Cons

- Obsolete products especially on the Collision Repair side. The organization has been completely incompetent to release mobile, web based and platform centric applications. It got overpowered very quickly by the competition and has been extremely slow to react - Lack of vision and charisma from current management leading to employee low morale, disappointing product development and poor decision making process - Unfair and opinion biased performance review system which seems to reward incompetent and unaccountable people. High performers don't get promoted or rewarded properly on the other hand - Below market benefits (20% to 30% in some cases) especially with base salaries. Merit increases are random, very low for some and insanely high for others based on qualitative criteria - Good ol' boy network rewarding an elite few; this group is exempt of everything and spans across Management, IT, Product Management, Marketing and Sales to name a few. No matter how many misses, customers' complaints, large IT failures... they still come on top with a slap on the wrist and a huge bonus at the end of the year!!! - New equity firm KKR has pushed the organization to lower expenses to its maximum, decrease investments and constantly re-tool

Advice to Management

- Get rid of the ol' boy network and invest in a modern, fair and driven management team - Invest in your products, technology and people to deliver the best experience possible to your clients - Reward people on merit and achievements and not on opinions or perceptions. Let go of lazy, unaccountable, uncaring and lousy staff quickly but promote & grow high performers - Believe what your preach. The Mitchell Way is just complete BS and stop thinking people will continue drinking the cool aid

Customer Service for 8 years

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time

Pros

I work with good hard working people

Cons

They are getting rid of employees who have been with Mitchell for more than 10 years and outsourcing to people in India and Mexico. This company is not about equal opportunity. Their motto should be, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." Most of the time the jobs are not posted and the positions are just handed to people. The quality of work is going down the drain because of the outsourcing. Devoted employees work for this company for 7 years and still won't hire those employees on permanent. They are taking advantage of people. All the employees work really hard and upper management always takes the credit for it. Supervisors and managers need to stop playing favorites and keep an eye on those favorites because they are taking advantage. If policies are going to be enforced it needs to be enforced for all employees. They got rid of the school reimbursement program, a lot of the paid holidays and now we have to use our vacation time to take it off. There is no opportunity for growth. No objectives are given to move up in your position. The reviews are never on time and the merit increases are random. When employees do get promoted, they keep them at the same pay. Mitchell doesn't care about it's employees. The only goal on their mind is get rid of it's most valuable and hard working employees so they can save money for poor quality of work by outsourcing. The work we do is not appreciated and that's why we are all expendable.

Advice to Management

Poor quality of work and cheap labor = loss of clients! Open your eyes, not your pockets!

10. Software Developer Intern

Former Intern - Software Developer in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Software Developer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Mitchell International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Really liked the people working there and the company vibe. There's many activities to get the employees up and socializing.

Cons

The work was very easy. The only challenging part was picking up new tools and getting set up. Other than that it wasn't really challenging.

No No No

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Mitchell International

Pros

decent salary (I suppose) I would say if you have learned how to cheat the system, you could do very well for yourself. I honestly can't think of anything else.

Cons

Where do I begin... Ego centric. Everyone believes they are better than anyone else. You are treated by your pay grade. People are overworked and stressed out while others just coast along. People win awards who do not deserve them. When I say do not deserve...I mean they work remote and go surfing while other people slave away at their cubicles.

Advice to Management

Leave. Just leave. And the company needs to hire a people who haven't been infected with the diseases culture festering in this organization.

RSS Feed </> Embed