Mitchell International

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Mitchell International President and CEO Alex Sun

Alex Sun

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the worst corporate cultures I've experienced

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are some really smart people you get to work with (mostly the workers under management layer). Mitchell has experienced success in spite its poor management and products. If customers could easily switch from Mitchell's bug-ridden software, they would in a heartbeat.

ConsDysfunctional management
Poor leadership/lack of clear direction
Constant fire fighting mode

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst - listen to the feedback in the Employee Engagement Survey and actually do something about the valuable employee feedback. Stop wasting employee's time if you aren't going to listen to them.
Second-increase pay and give bonuses to employees. Pay at Mitchell is really low.
Third-only promote managers who are good at leading and communicating. Way too much politics at this place and many managers with poor people skills.
Fourth-Sales should not be running the company. Stop the culture of overpromise and undeliver.

Amateur managers who haven't a clue what leadership is about.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood location by UTC, nice people, reasonable hours.

ConsVeal pen sized work areas, horrific managers who are absorbed with advancing and keeping their jobs by taking credit for work of those they manage, miniscule raises, no promotions, abusive reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain managers on leadership skills, reward hard work, provide work spaces that promote human dignity rather than detract from it, give decent raises on occasion.

Run Away If You Are Thinking About Working Here!

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsClose to where I live.

ConsThis is THE most DYSFUNCTIONAL company I have ever worked at in my career! Most of the management is more of a hindrance to projects instead of helping them. Only out for themselves. How can any company properly produce software when only the management get bonuses for releasing features, not quality? Working the people underneath them to death. Even making them work long hours and weekends while they are unwilling to.

I have to hand it to the sales team (non I ever meet while I was there) for the ability to sell the worse products I have ever seen. Even heard this directly from customers.

Favoritism runs big including mangers from India hiring friends and laying off current employees to make room for more. Even going so far as bringing over pregnant women from India so they can have their babies in America!

Mitchell has a very bad reputation as a software development company to work at in San Diego and that reputation only gets worse. The work area is horrible, benefits get worse and worse and pay raises are pretty much non-existent. The HR department makes it harder and harder to do your job, I guess to justify their existence.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. None of the senior management have any idea how to properly run a software company! Alex Sun has no idea what is really going on in his company. I don't think the entire time I worked there he even came into our area to see the looks on our faces.

Incompetent Management Team

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

Prospay is lower than market
offshoring work to save some change, but ending up fixing the mess they have made....and even costs more $$$

ConsBad attitude CTO, yelling at subordinates, dominating
kissing up to stay longer
incompetent managers, directors -- no sw background or leadership
fires people now and then through out the year due to loss of revenue

Advice to Senior Managementneeds new management team and CEO, Sun must go
unrealistic projects/requirements
incompetent managers play cards, chitchat, laughing, hiding in their cubes all day long, saying unwise joke...too noisy! meaningless awards

Demotivating to high performers, do your research before joining.

I have been working at Mitchell International

ProsMany employees deeply believe in Mitchell and will support the business to their dying breath. Executives enthusiastic and lively.

ConsIneffective management loses high performers too quickly and ignores all issues with low performers. Makes collaboration more difficult and increases backstabbing.
Upper mgmt says all the right things to drive a new and innovative culture but actions often contradictory.
"we are a leading technology company" in the same breath as "here's your 7-year old computer to code our newest product on."

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in an efficiency consultant for management and shake it up. Give us good leaders and stop shedding the truly innovative leaders!

If you have skills, do not work at Mitchell

I worked at Mitchell International

ProsThey pay on time.
Other than that hard to think of anything

ConsUsing 15+ year old technology
Build/Dev environment cripplingly slow
Management Overly Horizontal at the mid level and overly Vertical as it goes up
Paralyzing beaurocracy
Rude, incompetent people rule the building
New HQ is inconvenient but would appeal to people working in small enclosed spaces like a submarine
Implementation of "Scrum" process is poorly done and the worst of all worlds

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the lightweight techies in high positions and get some people who actually know what they are doing
Realize that you are a technology company and play it like it is
Get rid of the vertical structure at the top -- too many people between "doer" managers and Alex -- Alex only hears what his SVP's say and the SVP's don't know what's going on
Start treating people with respect not treat them like children with all the inane policcies at the new office
DO enforce policies about people acting professional however -- what's the point of everyone dressing up if the coworkers act like thugs in loafers?

Company focused on short-term results, not employee contributions

I have been working at Mitchell International

ProsAt the mid-manager level, the company has some quality employees who really care about the business. Peer level communications within select groups can be good.

ConsMitchell is not a top organization. Senior management is disorganized and sometimes misdirected, resulting in frequently misaligned priorities, lack of long term strategy, and chaotic work environment. Effort and contributions are not appreciated as evidenced by limited or no positive feedback for work completed. At its core, the environment can be a bit of a sweat shop with lack of resources and support. As a result, employees struggle to get projects completed, but don't receive respect from management for contributions that they make.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to step back, evaluate long term strategy, and recognize employees for the positive contributions that they make. Learn how top companies manage employees else you face the risk of losing your #1 asset - your people.

Cut throat environment with growth opportunities if you're on the right side of the fence

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you want the experience of working in a startup company (lean teams, wearing many different hats) then Mitchell is a good place to start. Although this company has been around for a long time (originally founded in 1965, then acquiring new arms of business - for example, in 1994 (Mitchell ACS/Mitchell Medical), 2005 (Fair Isaac's Workers Comp division), 2013 (National Health Quest out of network negotiation services), the company operates as if the company had just opened its doors. The other pro is the people at this company - I've met some of my best friends here, and the people who have stuck around for several years are wonderful people.

ConsThe biggest challenge is that leadership is failing under pressures from the new private equity partner to meet their investment objectives, and from customers who are demanding a higher level of service. There is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" in play, and the leadership team tends to place blame on those in mid-level management and below if objectives that were set without having the proper infrastructure are not met. Mitchell's leadership is notorious for using favoritism and workplace politics, pushing high quality employees out. Mitchell tends to hire upper management roles from outside. It is rare that existing employees move up in the company, and if they are promoted, they typically do not get paid as much as someone would if they were to come from outside. Work days tend to be long, and include nights and weekends regularly if you are not an hourly employee, and although Mitchell is working on doing a better job to recognize people for their hard work, recognition is still something Mitchell's management fails at doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and support them by building out better infrastructure for problem resolution (creating new jobs and filling them promptly so that Mitchell can deliver a higher level of service to its customers and partners), find a platform for knowledge storage and stick to it (don't jump back and forth between Salesforce and Microsoft Sharepoint). Be a "greener" employer in San Diego, and promote the use of recyclable and reusable materials, and be a healthier employer by promoting work life balance. It is clear from the work product (code, Customer Service responses, and on up) that most of your work force is overworked.

Lack of Vision and Leadership

Senior Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than a year

Pros- great co-workers who work very hard to develop great products

Cons- lack of leadership and vision which makes for a chaotic, non-focused working environment
- employees are not treated as an asset (e.g. Mitchell tries to get away with offering their employees with as little compensation as possible)
- salaries are not competitive to industry
- lack in upward mobility opportunity and career path plans

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquire leaders who understand how to lead and how to build a vision for an entire division and want to do right not only for the company but for their employees, too. Motivate and retain your employees by compensating them with competitive salaries, stocks, gifts, etc.

Poor/Too Much Management

I worked at Mitchell International full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMost of the people who work here are friendly. The atmosphere is usually pretty laid back.

ConsThe management leaves a lot to be desired. They continually ask for feedback from employees and then promptly ignore it. On the APD side you are in constant fire fighting mode. There is always a customer priority that will take precedence over your assigned work and then you will be punished for not getting your assigned work completed. Nights and weekends will be spent deploying software and you are always on call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen developing software, spend the money up front and do it right. The amount of money you save on one quarters budget will cost you 10 fold in future quarters. Pay your good employees at least market rate.

Worked for Mitchell International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mitchell International reviews and ratings in San Diego, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mitchell International CEO Alex Sun. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Mitchell International employees.