Mitchells & Butlers Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Alistair Darby

Pros
  • Great opportunities, excellent chance to progress, lots of different opportunities, great people (in 3 reviews)

• Some nice people, flexible working, some of the benefits are pretty good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Little apparent joined up thinking by the senior management talk about PRIDE values but you very rarely see them living them in private (in 7 reviews)

• The pay's so much worse than an independent, if you're on salary and doing the hours you need to, you're going to earn below minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

1. Bar staff

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

Good fun place to work. Worked there as a student and got flexible hours. Had good team building activities.

Cons

Not great pay. Other than that no real cons to working there.

Advice to Management

Continue with the fun team building and encourage the upbeat working environment.

2. Excellent company to work for, but very high standards, not for everyone.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time

Pros

Live in positions, in amazing locations

Cons

Not enough salary, branding standards are inconsistant across brands

3. Crown Carvery

Former Employee - Waitress/Bar Staff
    Former Employee - Waitress/Bar Staff

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employers recruit on personality as well as having all the skills required which makes a happier
    Working environment. Busy fast paced environment. Staff are generally alternated around sections making it less boring.

Cons

Staff come and go due to the nature of the job, not a "career driven" company. Hard work, usually two waitresses and two bar staff with one manager working to serve 40 tables. No benefits and very basic pay.

Advice to Management

Don't let long term staff make decisions on your behalf, don't be a doormat.

5. Used to be the best.

Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Kitchen Manager in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of training for salaried employees. Different training locations and sometimes really good venues.

Cons

Looking for every penny which in the long term cause loose in a good managers and well trained staff.

Advice to Management

Looking to pinch every penny will lead to have an exhausting managers and other staff members causing lower income and make the company to push even harder.

6. Fantastic Company

Current Employee - Retail Business Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Business Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well established internal progression schemes
    Welcoming and friendly with a family atmosphere
    Diverse portfolio of brands and opportunities
    Developing great recognition schemes

Cons

If you don't come from a hospitality back round then the demanding nature of the industry will come as a shock however it is extremely rewarding

Advice to Management

Continue with the current people focused approach, it will deliver in the end and create a long term base for a successful company

A company that doesn't keep it promises to it self, its staff, and its customers.

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The great parts of working @ M&B is that:

1 Its a company that attracts some great people who are awesome to work with. I made some life long friends there.
    2 There are progression opportunities and its a high performance culture, a company that is really looking for go-getters and high energy guest focused people.

Cons

Unfortunately there are some things that I look back on at my 3 years with M&B that make me feel sick.

1 Site managers will deliberately not pay their staff their full pay packet by withholding small amounts of pay for hours worked that don't get easily noticed to help hit their performance targets. Doing this to people on minimum wage is wrong.

2 Many sites are consistently run short staffed, putting employees in unreasonable working conditions that are often hazardous to employee health & safety.

3 There is a serious & widespread lack in respect for the internal GM Designate programme. The is a way the company addresses a gap in management talent by hiring external staff directly into management roles on a training basis. The key issue the that these people are often trained by those are significantly more able but paid much less than the external staff leading to a conflict between staff and repeat failure in hiring as part of this programme.

4 A lack in consistency in performance appraisal on a national basis. When you travel the UK you pop into different M&B locations and one of the things that is very noticeable is the varying standards of employee performance. There are clearly some managers who wouldn't even be offered team leader roles in a different part of the country. This is really disappointing to see.

Advice to Management

Only promise what you can deliver. Deliver what you promise.

8. Current employee

Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member
    Current Employee - Guest Service Team Member

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Social job and meet a lot of lovely people.

Cons

Hours unavailable to hourly paid staff while salary staff are doing way above contract with no overtime or tips so their pay per hour works out below NMW. Holiday pay is not paid when it's due because of the new system. Some employees still haven't had holiday from 5 months ago and are being blown off.

Advice to Management

Make sure employees get the pay they have earned and turnover won't be so high. Increase available hours so employees can actually pay their bills

9. Worse company, still owe me money

Former Employee - Front of House in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front of House in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time

Pros

The other staff were kind, and fun to work with.
    Occasional free drink.
    nice view from the pub of the river thames, making working there better.

Cons

Beached my contract meant to be paid £6.50 but paid £5.72, as I am under 21. And even then they still did not pay me right. I am still waiting to be paid properly, spoke with the manager he did not care and was unhelpful. I would take them to a small claims court but they know full well that I'll either lose or it will cost me more than I'll gain.
    Terrible management, not paid on time and wrongly then to get your money you had to go through a chain of people.
    not respectful I was treated as a slave.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right! Pay them more than minimum wage. Give them incentives like a free lunch- Food costs an hour's wage and they always pressure you into buying a meal, and they expect us to know the menu inside and out, which if they gave us free food we would!.
    Trust your employees

10. Good & Bad

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great progression opportunities, great people, great businesses

Cons

Don't look after people who progress up the chain, some managers are not very good

Advice to Management

Look after the people who have stuck with you throughout the years!

11. Was treated very unfairly!

Former Employee - Commis Chef in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Commis Chef in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time

Pros

Can gain experience. Can teach how how some establishments don't follow regulations.

Cons

Uniform being 'misplaced' in laundry.
    No understanding of someone having the flu and fireing them because they didn't want to sneeze and cough over food. Once fired I had to chase up 35 hours of wages. .

Advice to Management

Treat new staff fairly and equally. Pay people the money you owe them! and stop 'double day dotting' (changing date labels on food with a further date). Its against the law!

RSS Feed </> Embed