Mitchells & Butlers

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.7

Alistair Darby

Pros
  • Great opportunities, excellent chance to progress, lots of different opportunities, great people (in 3 reviews)

• Some nice people, flexible working, some of the benefits are pretty good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management structure and personnel can be awful (why are Area Managers always changing (in 7 reviews)

• The pay's so much worse than an independent, if you're on salary and doing the hours you need to, you're going to earn below minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for, but very high standards, not for everyone.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time

Pros

Live in positions, in amazing locations

Cons

Not enough salary, branding standards are inconsistant across brands

Duty Manager

Former Employee - Duty Manager in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Duty Manager in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to Front, Middle and Back office roles
    Flexible holidays
    Good training and development
    Office culture was great and team dynamics and moral was high

Cons

Working unsociable hours
    Salary was not appropriate to the work load
    Line manager often pushed responsibility to others

Great people but poorly managed company

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Varied, some shifts are fun when customers are in a good mood and you get to talk to some interesting people. The chefs were great people and everyone was working their hardest. The venue had live music and some of the bands were really great. Wasn't boring like a retail job, was always busy. Fun team, some good networking opportunities.

Cons

Long hours, was closing every shift, wouldn't get home till around 4am on weekends. Minimum wage, not nearly enough pay for how hard you have to work. Being a woman I would get harassed by male customers, which often made me uncomfortable though you are told to just brush it off. Poorly managed, never received any formal training so sometimes felt way over my head considering it was my first job. Unsatisfied staff because of poor management and not enough budget.

Train staff extensively so they know what they are doing. Educate about alcohol. Run lots of team building and training days. Keep your staff happy and they will want to do a better job.
    It was a fun atmosphere but we were all worked way too hard, and the pay was terrible. Tips can't cover rent and bills. Manager didn't have a clue, never worked the hard shifts, and always put you on for extra work when you requested it off. Needs better management and more understanding that their staff are trying their best.

Needs improvement in management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

Pleasant atmosphere and nice people to work with

Cons

Very low salary, bad management

Daylight robbery

Current Employee - Pot Wash in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pot Wash in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good progression opportunities if your prepared to work half the week free

Cons

We're do I start, overpaid idiots that have no use at all, forced to break all there own rules to run the pubs, every week less hours, in short this should be your last choice when looking to cook, run a pub or generally have any kind of a life.

not sure what to say, u really are the worse pub group in Britain

Bartender

Former Employee - Bar Staff in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bar Staff in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being able to meet many people and have an active surrounding. Cheaper food offers

Cons

hard very active work in a loud environment, Bad Payment and constant request for more hours of work

A ruthless and uncaring organisation.

Former Employee - Bar/Waiter
    Former Employee - Bar/Waiter

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

Some fantastic staff, managers and ground level alike, but this is by no fault of the company.

Cons

Earning minimum wage is perhaps not hugely unfair, as it allows the company to remain "competitive", however with this in mind, M&B will take every possible opportunity to take money away from you that they possibly can. For example, it became commonplace where I worked for someone to be underpaid, not as a mistake, but instead to ensure that employee hour targets could be met. And I'm not talking small change, someone was once underpaid 35 hours! In addition to this, company policy is to take away 20 minutes worth of wages away from your pay check, if you have worked 6 hours in a row - as this is the UK's legal break time. However, an employee will never see this break and there is no way to retrieve the money.

Another issue could be a company policy of turning up 15 minutes early for a team briefing, no problem there you would think, it seems reasonable that the team be informed of the days agenda and what they will all be doing. Yet consider you turn up and it is busy, ensuring that you must start working straight away. You will not be paid for this, and upon questioning a manager of how this is unreasonable, unethical and possibly illegal, I was shouted down being told that it is company policy that I turn up early and work, even if their is no briefing, and that I would not be paid.

M&B's "don't fix it until it breaks" attitude will also make your working life hellishly difficult. Equipment or machinery may be breaking, making your job difficult or downright impossible, yet managers are unwilling to call this out, and head office equally unwilling to fix the problem, due to not wanting to pay, and not a shred of respect for their staffs well being.

Staff turnover whilst I was employed was high, due to poor conditions, but also a real lack of care from the management to encourage them to stay - aside from begging them to work when understaffed. Similarly hiring was difficult and rare, as managers preferred to complain when employees asked why they were doing 60 hours weeks, instead of putting adverts for jobs around.

Perhaps if the management were to have any experience of working in one of their own pubs they might view things differently, instead of being completely detached from reality. Head office should consider refocusing attention from ways to cut costs in any way shape or form, instead asking those actually involved in the hospitality business what could make the pub more productive, and appealing to consumers.

Giving managers unrealistic targets which then translate onto their staff is a bad idea, as their is no incentive for them to be met, or even attempted in the first place.

This ruthless company may make profit, but a lot of practices are likely illegal, with staff either too scared, tired or busy to complain. Not a sustainable business model.

Very good

Current Employee - Office Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Office Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for professional growth, Good management, Great teams and over all good place to work

Cons

In all my time I have meet only one senior manager who was very difficult to work with

None

Horrendous

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice area surrounding the pub

Cons

Poor training, overworking, poor maintenance, very stressful because of the above

Invest in thorough well timed training

Worst workplace I ever experienced

Former Employee - Bar Staff in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bar Staff in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

"You must enter at least 5 words for Pros."

Cons

Leadership treats staff like neanderthals. The 'workbooks' that you have to fill as a team member and 'team leader' seem written for 8 years' old. They really assume their staff are that dumb, and treat them accordingly.

In my experience team leaders were picked based on how much their personal interests matched those of the current manager. Also, criticism of management was considered disrespectful, even if you were politely criticizing the decision of not paying a member of staff for the extra time she was forced to wait at work, after closing. (Yes. You were forced to sit for 20-30 minutes after you had done your job and wait for the team leader to finish. BUT signing out for those 20-30 minutes was considered unacceptable. How does a person like this who is seemingly unable to understand basic ethics gets to be general manager? Amazing.) When I suggested this was illegal, she ranted like a 15 year-old.

Make no mistake, some of their practices are outright illegal. They get away with it because it's easier for people to just leave and find other jobs than going through the whole legal process. It's really disgusting and makes you feel like you're living in some countryside town in the middle of Albania, rather than 21st century London.

Management love their newsletter! It's one of those companies which is completely disconnected from reality and managers pat each other on the back for their good work. Instead of newsletters, that no one actually reads or cares about, instead of preaching pretty words, just teach your general managers the 101 of basic decency.

Mitchells & Butlers Photos