Mitchells & Butlers

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
3.1

Alistair Darby

Pros
  • Great opportunities, excellent chance to progress, lots of different opportunities, great people (in 3 reviews)

• Some nice people, flexible working, some of the benefits are pretty good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management structure and personnel can be awful (why are Area Managers always changing (in 7 reviews)

• The pay's so much worse than an independent, if you're on salary and doing the hours you need to, you're going to earn below minimum wage (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for, but very high standards, not for everyone.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time

Pros

Live in positions, in amazing locations

Cons

Not enough salary, branding standards are inconsistant across brands

Very good

Current Employee - Office Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Office Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for professional growth, Good management, Great teams and over all good place to work

Cons

In all my time I have meet only one senior manager who was very difficult to work with

None

Total disregard for employee wellbeing

Current Employee - FOH Team Member in Liverpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FOH Team Member in Liverpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Due to an infrastructure which design is the birthchild of 1980's delusional pack of suit-clad money addicts nothing else is really inforced so -as long as you have a functioning brain- employment is almost always guaranteed unless certain members of staff refuse to leave due to financial strife. A negligible training period coupled with every other aspect of managerial obligations being outsourced to online facilities makes for a standards-free environment so you can do anything however you like and nobody will correct you.

Cons

As a result of the aforementioned setting, affairs within each business can and, in many cases, will go ary for reasons that can only be described as deplorable such as widespread contempt for staff morale, breaches in health & safety measures, reduced quality of work, low standards and general wellbeing. The latter situation can prove to be relentless and soul-crushing.

Do your job and manage.

Good but doors locked on progression :(

Current Employee - Team Member in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Member in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I personally work for a great team in one of the value sites. We hold weekly meetings so we know how well we are doing in relation to the company. Great incentives (my assistant manager is going to Sweden with Koppaberg) we do lots of local charity events. Our locals love us!

Cons

Being a recent graduate I am looking for a career. The M&B grad scheme takes on only people with a 2:1 degree and I was just short and got a 2:2 Baring in mind I have almost 5 years experience with the company I was hoping I would be able to get some career advice or be given another option within the company. I just got shut down so I am stuck at my low level job until I find something better, no doubt with a different company. would love to continue my career with M&B but when your regional manager shuts you down like that... I was very disappointed and have no option but to leave if I want any progression.

please show some love to your current staff looking to progress!! I have no one I can talk to about career options.

By far the worst employer I've ever come across and many would also share this viewpoint....

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

If you're ambitious and viciously ruthless, the more chance you'll have of success.

Cons

Shockingly silly employment costs at operational level, which is no suprise why many of their sites have poor reputations.

Stop wasting money on devising silly new concepts by external consultants who have very little knowledge of how the industry really works. Target your corporate team to find solutions to improve productivity and communication. M&B is full of people who only want to forward their own careers and they dont care how they do it and this is often not what's for the good of the Company. I was shocked at how many corporate staff were simply institutionalised and had so little business acumen. They also view anyone outside of corporate as intellectually challenged. ..I heard many derogatory comments made about operational staff that were totally reprehensible. There is no form of arbitration allowing some levels of management to totally abuse their positions. The HR department serves only to support this, even when it is clear that decisions made are unjustified and nothing short of a witch hunt.

You either love this industry or you dont......I do !

Current Employee - Building Maintenance Controller in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Building Maintenance Controller in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, like one big family, even the Chief Exec has time to chat

Cons

Struggle to get the job done in the contracted hours

Consider giving additional days holiday for loyal long service employees

Excellent Business Strategies, poor working conditions

Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Well established company with successful brands.

Cons

The company functions through a culture of fear. There is very little praise for a job well done. No matter how well you perform there is constant pressure and threats to your further employment.

Practice what you preach in terms of supporting work life balance, personal development and celebrating success. Considering what you have to pay out to develop and train Management teams it would be a worthwhile investment to support them so they stay with you.

Loads of opportunities to expand your skills and keep work interesting

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy in job role, fun and engaging work, great culture, opportunities to move in to different roles, invest heavily in training, salary.

Cons

Being a big company it can sometimes take a while for decisions to be made, but once they are made it's usually full steam ahead.

Would be great to have a set number of days each year for corporate employees to work in pub sites. This would strengthen relations between corp and retail employees.

It's all in your team!

Current Employee - Front of House Staff in Portsmouth, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Shifts are flexible and you can often switch and pick up shifts at short notice depending on your colleagues. Your main shifts where you have the most earning potential are over the weekends but this does mean that your days off are during the week when everyone in office jobs are working. (Going to Thorpe Park on a Wednesday means you get on all the rides twice as quick!) There are perks if you do well- concerts for selling the most desserts in a district or hotel stays for getting the most WOWs in a year.

Cons

You need to be flexible and understand that some nights are going to feel like they're never going to end. You need to be able to keep a cool head- some guests don't understand that you are one person and may be more demanding than your wage seems to pay you for but there will always be someone alot nicer on your next table.

Terrible experience in an extremely mundane environment.

Former Employee - Cook in Durham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Cook in Durham, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Aren't really any to write home about to be honest. Half arsed management and overall a terrible company to work for.

Cons

The nature of the job means staff couldn't care less, opportunities for progression are minimal and training is non-existent. Food is substandard processed/frozen pub grub most of which is microwaved or boiled in a bag. ideal if you want to be under paid, under appreciated and over worked.

Get a new job.