Mitchells & Butlers

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
2.6

Alistair Darby

Pros
  • Great opportunities, excellent chance to progress, lots of different opportunities, great people (in 3 reviews)

• Some nice people, flexible working, some of the benefits are pretty good (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management structure and personnel can be awful (why are Area Managers always changing (in 7 reviews)

• The pay's so much worse than an independent, if you're on salary and doing the hours you need to, you're going to earn below minimum wage (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company to work for, but very high standards, not for everyone.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers full-time

Pros

Live in positions, in amazing locations

Cons

Not enough salary, branding standards are inconsistant across brands

Ok

Current Employee - Bartender in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Bartender in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love my job.... my customers... my workmates. ...

Cons

Pay is rubbish..... 30 odd hours a week for £750 a month... barely covers my bills

Behind every great business is a greater team... pay them more

Duty Manager

Former Contractor - Duty Manager in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Duty Manager in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Exposure to Front, Middle and Back office roles
    Flexible holidays
    Good training and development
    Office culture was great and team dynamics and moral was high

Cons

Working unsociable hours
    Salary was not appropriate to the work load
    Line manager often pushed responsibility to others

Poorly managed from top to bottom

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Staff at same level basic level were enjoyable to work with.

Majority of customers were fun and had good conversation.

Cons

Not a penny over minimum wage for basic staff who took on more responsibility than lazy team leaders and management. Large company paying a wage that is unliveable.

Management contacting you on majority of days off asking you to work - resorted to turning phone off sometimes.

No organisation from higher up. Local drinkers and those ordering food would queue at separate areas of the bar. This would often lead to abuse and aggression for bar staff who were receiving no instruction.

Manager living upstairs meant pub would always be open later than it was meant to be. Managers partner and friends regularly drinking until late with young children in the bar.

Chefs speaking amongst themselves in a foreign language. Hard to communicate - front of house staff ending up doing puddings most nights due to incredibly lazy 'chefs' who would want to be out as soon as possible.

Online training is incredibly dated and way too much pointless content.

Train managers properly. Just because people can run a pub effectively to make profit for M&B does not mean they have good enough personal skills to manage people.

Shockingly bad and illegal.

Former Employee - Front of House Staff in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front of House Staff in London, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

Staff team members are generally nice but often young and don't know just how badly they are treated.

Cons

I don't know where to start. Deputy managers run the show. There were 3 of them (possibly more) and they generally contradict each other and rule by shouting. They abuse a 4 hour "on the job evaluation" known as a trial shift for cheap labour for one off tasks that are nothing to do with the actual job. No one really knows the standards or procedures that are to be adhered to, there are just different folk who care about different things at different times.

The job is described as 'full time' 25 - 30 hours. This is then further explained that you will sometimes get more hours and sometimes less. This transpires to mean that you will be given anything from no hours to 40+ hours. During these hours you will be sent home at their convenience when not busy. This is often. In practice the business rarely knows if it is likely to be busy or not and so it over staffs and then sends you home. You can turn up for an 8 hour shift and be sent home after 3. You are typically on rota 5 or 6 days per week. In effect you are at their disposal for most of your time but only end up working and getting paid for 25 ish hours.

Breaks are non existent and uniform is odd to say the least. I was supplied with one uniform shirt which was a female, (I'm not female).

You are forced to do things that are not legal too, like signing registers to say that the fridge temperatures have been checked, when there is no way to check them, and signing off toilet checks - which were totally disgusting at all times - but told not to bother checking if busy.

Upon leaving I was not paid without chasing up and then paid short despite following up over 2 months. I have now reported this the directors and issued notice of action. Given the hours paid, hours worked, free hours worked, money spent in travel and laundering uniforms I have in effect paid them so far.

The HR and Payroll team appear to be set up to frustrate and be complicit in helping the local managers to fob you off when querying pay etc.

In short, this is an operation that is very poor and designed to elicit more work that you get paid for.

Change. In every way.

Great people but poorly managed company

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Varied, some shifts are fun when customers are in a good mood and you get to talk to some interesting people. The chefs were great people and everyone was working their hardest. The venue had live music and some of the bands were really great. Wasn't boring like a retail job, was always busy. Fun team, some good networking opportunities.

Cons

Long hours, was closing every shift, wouldn't get home till around 4am on weekends. Minimum wage, not nearly enough pay for how hard you have to work. Being a woman I would get harassed by male customers, which often made me uncomfortable though you are told to just brush it off. Poorly managed, never received any formal training so sometimes felt way over my head considering it was my first job. Unsatisfied staff because of poor management and not enough budget.

Train staff extensively so they know what they are doing. Educate about alcohol. Run lots of team building and training days. Keep your staff happy and they will want to do a better job.
    It was a fun atmosphere but we were all worked way too hard, and the pay was terrible. Tips can't cover rent and bills. Manager didn't have a clue, never worked the hard shifts, and always put you on for extra work when you requested it off. Needs better management and more understanding that their staff are trying their best.

Needs improvement in management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

Pleasant atmosphere and nice people to work with

Cons

Very low salary, bad management

Daylight robbery

Current Employee - Pot Wash in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pot Wash in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good progression opportunities if your prepared to work half the week free

Cons

We're do I start, overpaid idiots that have no use at all, forced to break all there own rules to run the pubs, every week less hours, in short this should be your last choice when looking to cook, run a pub or generally have any kind of a life.

not sure what to say, u really are the worse pub group in Britain

Bartender

Former Employee - Bar Staff in Guildford, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Bar Staff in Guildford, England (UK)

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being able to meet many people and have an active surrounding. Cheaper food offers

Cons

hard very active work in a loud environment, Bad Payment and constant request for more hours of work

A ruthless and uncaring organisation.

Former Employee - Bar/Waiter
    Former Employee - Bar/Waiter

I worked at Mitchells & Butlers

Pros

Some fantastic staff, managers and ground level alike, but this is by no fault of the company.

Cons

Earning minimum wage is perhaps not hugely unfair, as it allows the company to remain "competitive", however with this in mind, M&B will take every possible opportunity to take money away from you that they possibly can. For example, it became commonplace where I worked for someone to be underpaid, not as a mistake, but instead to ensure that employee hour targets could be met. And I'm not talking small change, someone was once underpaid 35 hours! In addition to this, company policy is to take away 20 minutes worth of wages away from your pay check, if you have worked 6 hours in a row - as this is the UK's legal break time. However, an employee will never see this break and there is no way to retrieve the money.

Another issue could be a company policy of turning up 15 minutes early for a team briefing, no problem there you would think, it seems reasonable that the team be informed of the days agenda and what they will all be doing. Yet consider you turn up and it is busy, ensuring that you must start working straight away. You will not be paid for this, and upon questioning a manager of how this is unreasonable, unethical and possibly illegal, I was shouted down being told that it is company policy that I turn up early and work, even if their is no briefing, and that I would not be paid.

M&B's "don't fix it until it breaks" attitude will also make your working life hellishly difficult. Equipment or machinery may be breaking, making your job difficult or downright impossible, yet managers are unwilling to call this out, and head office equally unwilling to fix the problem, due to not wanting to pay, and not a shred of respect for their staffs well being.

Staff turnover whilst I was employed was high, due to poor conditions, but also a real lack of care from the management to encourage them to stay - aside from begging them to work when understaffed. Similarly hiring was difficult and rare, as managers preferred to complain when employees asked why they were doing 60 hours weeks, instead of putting adverts for jobs around.

Perhaps if the management were to have any experience of working in one of their own pubs they might view things differently, instead of being completely detached from reality. Head office should consider refocusing attention from ways to cut costs in any way shape or form, instead asking those actually involved in the hospitality business what could make the pub more productive, and appealing to consumers.

Giving managers unrealistic targets which then translate onto their staff is a bad idea, as their is no incentive for them to be met, or even attempted in the first place.

This ruthless company may make profit, but a lot of practices are likely illegal, with staff either too scared, tired or busy to complain. Not a sustainable business model.

Mitchells & Butlers Photos