Mitel Networks

Updated December 7, 2014
2.8

Mitel Networks CEO Richard McBee
Richard McBee

Pros
  • The opportunity to meet some great people (in 7 reviews)

• Work Schedule flexibility was a major plus and being able to work from home was a tremendous advantage when kids were sick and had to stay home (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no real regard for it's employees (in 9 reviews)

• The benefits are not good, no 401k match (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Got ethics? Go elsewhere.

I worked at Mitel Networks full-time

Pros

There are no pros at Mitel.

Cons

Mitel is like a wild west saloon, pretending to be a professional company. If you have integrity and real business skills, then no paycheck will make Mitel worth your time. On the other hand, if you don't mind turning your head the other way and stroking executive egos all day (among other things), then go on over - they'd love to have you.

Keep looking if you go to work at Mitel..... Horrible company to work for!!

I worked at Mitel Networks

Pros

Product is decent but nothing special!

Cons

Complete bait and switch from interview. Huge turn over, poor pay and abusive management.

Wake up

Burnout Paradise

Former Employee - Technical Support in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Reno, NV

I worked at Mitel Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with people not in management.

Cons

Management, Strategy, Direction, Physical Environment, Benefits, No culture

Grow some common sense

Extremely POOR experience... would give 1/2 if I could, only because they provide AC & Heat.

Former Employee - CAM in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - CAM in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Mitel Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great restrooms in the Mesa AZ location. That's all for the positive comments!!!

Cons

They don't even have covered parking UNLESS YOU PAY FOR IT MONTHLY...WTF!!! It soars well over 100 degrees everyday in the AZ summers. You can't "afford" to pay for FREE covered parking for your employees that upper management expect to be working 24/7!?
    This place is a complete JOKE... they don't care about the employees, they'll lay anyone off if it will save them a couple bucks!!! Especially when they're acquiring soooo many new companies and they have save for the stockholders (on the board, that is). They LOVE to screw the revenue reports by saving they've had "record numbers" but, follow that public statement with a yet ANOTHER sneaky, behind closed doors, snake like lay off/hiring freeze. Sounds like a company achieving "RECORD REVENUE" numbers, doesn't it? As a prospective employee (if a local dishwashing job isn't available) understand one thing. This job will remind of being a kid again; because you will always be micro managed and your judgment will constantly get challenged. Your daily or weekly one on ones will consist of... did you take out the trash, clean your room, do the dishes, vacuum the floor, water the yard etc...etc. You will feel like your getting scolded by your parents all over again. The ONLY reason you will find tenured employees there now is because they are waiting for the nice severance pkg they have in their future... and it's coming, and they know it!
    Lastly, they are TOOOO many employees with MACROCEPHALY.

My best advice to "management" is to stop pointing fingers, accept accountability, get your hands dirty and pitch in to help create a positive work environment that builds morale and motivates. HELP FIX THE PROBLEMS, rather than obsess over fixing the blame!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, and most importantly...PAY YOUR EMPLOYEES & STOP CHARGING INSANELY HIGH MEDICAL COSTS. Not everyone has an inflated title and salary.

THE WORSE CAREER EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Channel Account Manager in Orange, CA

I have been working at Mitel Networks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are none. All of it sucks. All of it. I was recruited with their smoke & mirrors offer, none of it was honored by management.

Cons

Old-school management has zero respect for human talent. I fully expect barcode tattoos and reference employee number vs. name will be next in order.

Management rules from an ivory tower and is never available, unresponsive, lacks direction/ strategy/knowledge needed to run a company and blames everything on its employees. Why in the hell do you hire people with experience when you could give a crap about their opinions? Suggestion - hire trained monkeys vs humans. They're cheaper and easier to manage under hostile circumstances.

When sales hits 10% of its quarterly quota, whose problem is it? Theirs? Yes, these idiots point fingers at their sales reps/managers, like they must all be doing something wrong. Instead of asking for feedback, they prescribe more of the same "everyone required to make 100 cold calls/daily." I seriously have no clue how these clowns are still allowed to run the company. In fact their business decisions are so horrible there's a conspiracy rumor, that perhaps they're intentionally burning the company to ashes. Like an arsonist for insurance money. THIS is how asinine their decisions seem to their employees. Where are you Mitel shareholders? Don't you guys pay attention to Glass Door?

Internal processes are all backasswards, and management makes no attempt to fix them. You FINALLY make a sale and your order gets held up because some schmuck with a spreadsheet took off for vacation and nobody bothered to back him up. Phones are shipped before they're properly provisioned. Yes, this happens. A lot.

Speaking of which, the term "sales prevention" is frequently referred to within a course of the day. It's almost as if Mitel does not WANT you to make a sale. 3-4 months is typically time it takes for a sales rep to make a sale. No kidding. A 5-phone deal taking 3-4 months? Something is VERY wrong with that and sales should be informed BEFORE they accept the job. So they can stock up on Top Ramen and cans for recycling, because very unlikely they'll earn commission for the first six months.

Lack of integrity - I swear the good ol boys in executive management must have met while working on a used car lot. You can't trust a word they say, and you're only as good as the last month you hit quota. Miss a month and you get the dreaded PIP (Performance Improvement Plan), with constant reminders that you better hit quota or be fired. Luckily for the many folks considered "underachievers" by Mitel, so many people quit, they can't fire anyone. Then management might have to actually work, and/or go sell something. Right, like that's going to happen.

Overall - if you are thinking about working for this company, I would recommend not doing it unless absolutely desperate for a paycheck. In fact, I'd ratherh hold a cardboard sign off a freeway ramp then work here. At least you'd be able to look at yourself in the mirror and sleep at night. This company lacks integrity, structure and direction. I give it less than a year before investors see through the smoke and mirrors.

Get rid of them. They are driving the company into the ground. The products and technology are good, and some good talent still on board. However when you threaten your people, dictate to them, treat them like a commodity they will not only underperform but make you pay their salary while looking for another job. I would say "the day of reckoning" for Mitel management is not far in the future. Better dust off those resumes guys.

Unethical company run by egomaniacs

I worked at Mitel Networks full-time

Pros

There are a few good people left who have managed to avoid the mass redundancies that seem to happen every other month.

Cons

This is the worst company I've ever worked for -
    - Execs are only out for themselves and their over-inflated egos. The CMO leads this pack.
    - Middle managers don't think twice about stabbing their staff members in the back to protect themselves.
    - Bad healthcare and 401k.
    - Total lack of process and poor leadership.

Stop blaming your employees for your lack of leadership and strategy.

"Sales prevention" first comes to mind. Worst mgt ever. "Shut up and don't ask" a recurring theme. RUN AWAY!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Mitel Networks full-time

Pros

The constant churn - makes it easy if you need an in-between job, and very difficult to get fired (for the same reason).

Cons

Everything about working here, with two exceptions - I get paid more than unemployment and 2: free air conditioning.

Are you guys conspiring to drive the company into the ground, or seriously believe your stone age like decisions and/or rules and and Tarzan-like chest-beating actually benefits employees or Mitel? If the latter, I'm convinced Mesa water is laced with hallucinogens..

Really bad place to work

Former Employee - Software Developer in Kanata, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kanata, ON (Canada)

I worked at Mitel Networks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Parking is free.
    On-site out of date gym.

Cons

The morale is still horrible. Lost lots of superstars and continuing to lose great employees. Favoritism occurring in the company. No career advancement for younger generation. No salary increase over three years and stolen work credit. Constant layoffs and demotions. Managers not helping employees for career advancement (unless if you are the favourite one). And lots of backstabbing.

I need to stay here over ten years to get an extra week of vacation (currently have three). My benefits actually went down in the last two years .

Technology is out of date. No innovation is occurring at this point and pretty much copying what other competitors are doing. Most of the work is being shipped to India and the quality we are getting back is poor.

Internal tools are horrible. They are out of date and confusing to use. After so many years, we finally got Google tools last year. Found out recently that we are going to lose it. Several employees have been telling me that Mitel is investing to make the internal tools better. After 4 years, I haven't seen not one bit of improvement.

I would not recommend for anyone, especially for the young. You have a better chance to work in a start-up company.

No advice to management. They know what they need to do.

Not a place to build a future

Former Employee - Support in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Support in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Mitel Networks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to meet some great people

Cons

They have laid off people almost every quarter since 2008. No contributions to 401K

Customer service to your customers is the last thing you strive for, If it were you would keep your most qualified people that have the experience and skills to do so.

Current employee. It's just a job. Not a career.

Current Employee - Field Tech in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Tech in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Mitel Networks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with are relaxed and easy-going (not talking about management).

You can work with management to work a flexible schedule (won't guarantee it though, you will be lucky to have a supervisor/manager that works with you and your first priority called "life").

Company profit sharing.

On a good day, management will bring in food for the employees and once a year have a company provided lunch/BBQ/picnic.

It's a job and I get a paycheck.

Cons

Experiences of others may be different than mine. I only speak for myself and what I have seen within this company. I'm a fairly optimistic person, but this place mentally and physically drains you, mostly because of ignorance of others. I will be speaking of the various levels within the company, so things are just rolling off the tongue as I type.
    =======================================================================

No ability to move up in the company.

Once you're stuck, you're stuck. The only way out is to quit (or do something stupid and get fired).

No raises, only "industry standard matching"

Doesn't matter if you have certifications in which you paid thousands of dollars in training and testing to get, you are only allowed industry standard pay.

Do not hire into managerial positions from within the company, always bring someone else in from the outside in which they call "fresh perspective". Fresh perspective can also be given from someone in who knows the technology inside-out, has worked with it for 5+ years, knows the customers for more than 5+ years and has the ability to work with them to reach a resolution in the case of an issue.

Management does not recognize employee potential. They go by numbers and metrics, basically reading a book by the cover, but never diving deep into trying to understand the silver lining.

You are expected to learn things on your own with only minor to no training.

Constant distractions from management to do their jobs (they call it delegation) which hinders employees work to not be done. I call it ignorance and not wanting to do the job.

Make sure you dress up to the nines, even if you aren't customer facing.

Benefits are garbage, almost half your paycheck is gone and you still have to pay out of pocket when you are "in-network".

When certain things are out of your hands, management will still call you out for it, some throw you under the bus. Instead of tackling the issue together and winning the customer over.

This company is on the stock market, which means make investors happy first (profits), then make customers happy, then the hierarchy inside the company. So basically employees have it the worst.

Management says they will have monthly meetings so that everyone is "up-to-date" on our offerings, mmhmm...sure.

Innovation is unheard of, just follow along with what the industry is doing. There is no, visionary, systems, creative, or influential thinking (that I see).

When certain tools are required to do the job, it'll take the approval of God to get those tools to you.

Let's just say I'm living in the year 2014 and still using a system from 2001. Really? You're a leading company?

Projects get announced and almost are always left at 75% pending and are never seen through.

Sales is sales, they implement networks that on the engineering/systems/analytical/theory side make absolutely NO FREAKING SENSE! Oh wait, then they get rewarded with trips to Hawaii for making the sale. Lame.

Customer retention is the current game, yet nothing to retain them is being done.

There are other more harsher statements, but at the current time these are current ranking problems within the company.

Where did you get your management education/training, a community college?

Employees first (we make the gears turn), customers second (they fuel the machine), investors third (Mitel did good before it went public). You can throw all the fuel you want

Rich McBee needs to put in a request for his company to be presented on "Undercover Boss" so he can see what REALLY is going on in his company.

Did you know, that I, Mr. Anonymous, am an employee and an investor with the company? You have got some real problems and this news is going around quite quickly within the investors groups.

Please educate yourselves about the technology that your department is given and implement proper training for yourselves, we employees know what we are doing.

Learn to speak the truth, outright. Create a frank nature.

Mitel Networks Photos