Mitel Networks Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.5

Mitel Networks CEO Richard McBee
Richard McBee

Pros
  • They used to have great people, however, many changes have taken place over the past two years (in 5 reviews)

• This used to be a good place to work when it was Inter-Tel (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has no real regard for it's employees (in 7 reviews)

• The benefits are not good, no 401k match (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor Communication for a Communication Company

Former Employee - Communication Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Communication Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Mitel Networks

Pros

Competitive Base
    Great Office
    Great Technology
    Nice demo room
    Awesome car allowance

Cons

Disorganized
    more difficult to get deals approved internally than actually selling them
    A bit overpriced
    Too much competition with Mitel Dealers

Mitel Networks is not Inter-Tel anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Mitel Networks

Pros

The director of my department was a very effective manager with great communication skills who always made time to listen to the suggestions and concerns of his employees.

Cons

When the two companies merged my department was phased out over a period of about one year and eventually my position was too.

When you discount over thirty years experience of a successful business model while integrating two companies the result will be less than it could have been.

Mitel...Eh.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Mitel Networks

Pros

Great benefits package; exceptionally higher pay scale compared to other similar positions in the area; employee longetivity.

Cons

Mitel is much more revenue-driven than its predecessor, Inter-Tel, which has a huge effect on employee morale and comraderie. Overall, not much is done to fulfill employee satisfaction.

Re-evaluate middle-level management entities; consider new ideas to help boost employee morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK Place to work

Current Employee - Network Specialist  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Network Specialist in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Mitel Networks

Pros

Successful leader, good, well established company

Cons

Fraternity environment... swearing and happy hour

Clean it up in the office -- you're not in college any more

Its like a big family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at Mitel Networks

Pros

Always on the cutting edge. Excellent Mobility applications that we actually use! Let's workers work from anywhere and still get the job done. Products, services and a Company we can be proud of. All the divisions of Mitel as well (DataNet, NetSolutions etc...) allow us to be a one-stop shop for our customers and that makes offering a solution you KNOW will work effortless!

Cons

It was tough merging with another culture over the last few years; but we've come through and I think we combined the strengths of both companies! Sometimes there is a lack of communication about product roadmap and Surprise!! we have a new offering announced to everyone before those of us IN the company even know what it is!

Give your field-based employees more opportunity to provide input into product direction and development. We are on the ground with our customers as their needs change and we see technologies develop (IPhone!!) before the guys in the back room do!

Tight Company / Confused Spending

Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Mitel Networks

Pros

Good co workers and teamwork

Cons

Can't seem to focus on a product of market strategy, all over the place

focus, and quit reducing salaries and make achievable bonus'

Be cautious working for Mitel!

Former Employee - Communications Consultant (Sales)  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Communications Consultant (Sales) in Portland, OR

I worked at Mitel Networks

Pros

Mitel has interesting and cutting-edge products, as well as multiple third-party relationships. The Canadian corporate culture of the traditional Mitel seems smarter, more friendly and healthy than that of its Inter-tel acquisition.

Cons

The Inter-tel branch office sales force, which is the predominant US sales system Mitel acquired during its "merger," is riddled with degrading, bigoted, unethical, abusive types. Mitel/Inter-tel has many strong resellers and terrible rules of engagement between the branches and its resellers. As a result, employees are frequently encouraged to undermine another Mitel/Inter-tel product sale if it was transacted by a reseller. (ie - steal the sale or account)

Additionally, employees of Mitel who are engaging with branch sales staff as well as reseller sales staff are frequently encouraged by the branch to give up competitor information or help undermine competitor sales. This practice is in direct conflict with the employee's corporate directive and puts them under significant stress, job and even legal risk.

Another problem is the Mitel (and also formerly Inter-tel) product is relatively high-end, but has lost a lot of its brand strength in lack of positioning, marketing, and sales tools. The entire sales cycle is based on competing at the best price, which is in direct opposition to the high-end positioning of the product.

My first advice would be to create a flexible but highly polished sales presentation that highlights all the product strengths, using sounds, images, facts and figures which stick with the audience. This will help ensure the brand is presented in a consistent and superior manner, equal to that of its product.

Second, ensure the tools are in place to allow branch sales to focus on the sales cycle, not on the marketing tools. This would mean creating easier and more accurate pricing and presentation tools. Perhaps a regional marketing person or team would assist with customization and consistency.

Finally, I would recommend Senior Management from Mitel Canada spend a significant amount of time in each market, drilling down on sales practices and ensuing the corporate goals and culture are maintained throughout the operation. As much as possible, remove/replace the former Inter-Tel sales management and reallocate much of their headcount to regional support positions.

Good place to work that offers flexibility and interesting projects.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Mitel Networks

Pros

Laid-back environment with lots of flexibility towards your work schedule. Decent benefits package provided. Engineers are involved with all phases of the software development process. Wide variety of interesting and challenging features project to project, so it's easy to stay engaged and avoid getting bored. Get to work with many talented and knowledgeable engineers and learn a lot in the process. All levels of engineering and management have a very open-door policy.

Cons

Lots of overhead in software process even though Mitel is not dictated by government regulations. Could afford to be a little more aggressive (maybe a little too laid-back in some areas). Not much feedback from management aside from performance reviews.

Institute means of increasing retention of engineers.

The lights are on but nobody is home.

Current Employee - Phone Systems Tech  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Phone Systems Tech in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mitel Networks

Pros

Interfacing with people of other companies. The technical work is interesting. There are some quality people to work with.

Cons

Poor marketing of products. Mitel does not work together as a unified company. Oracle system. Laying off tech and then hiring them back as contractors.

Senior Management should ride along with the worker bees. Be more careful about selecting and buying operating support systems. Do a root cause fix of the voice mail system of the phone systems. Have only one number for customers to report troubles for both phone systems and circuits.

Software Development Engineer

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Mitel Networks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So far I feel it is a good company. I learned a lot working here. Great colleague.

Cons

The big thing missing is that there is no training to learn new technology,

Worked for Mitel Networks? Contribute to the Community!