Mitie Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

2.9

Mitie CEO Ruby McGregor-Smith
Ruby McGregor-Smith

Really enjoying working at Mitie, there are some great people

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitie full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As the business is so varied you can make a really good career for yourself but don't expect it to be handed to you on a plate. You need to keep a look out for the job opportunities that are advertised on the intranet. Most of the people that I work with have a really positive attitude. They feel like they can make decisions that make life better for clients. My boss is really good and always asks what is going on in my life.

Cons

Some of the processes are too complicated. Someone needs to have a look at how to make things simpler. Sometimes I feel like I am producing reports just for the sake of it.

Reduce some of the processes and bureaucracy so we can spend more time with our clients.

Great job working with a great team, although the company has its challenges

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitie full-time for less than a year

Pros

Important disclaimer is that I work within a central part of the business at a London office, so my experience may not reflect that of everyone around the business. However:
    - Great team that work well together and help each other with their specialist knowledge
    - Competitive pay and a whole host of employee benefits, including cycle to work and in-store discounts
    - Good work/home life balance
    - Lots of responsibility and autonomy to take ownership of your own projects
    - Lots of communication from senior management and the wider business
    - Great culture and attitudes, with diversity of all forms being not just acknowledged but celebrated

Cons

- No allocated training budget for sales and marketing people, the revenue generating parts of the business
    - Out-of-date systems that don't talk to each other
    - Challenge communicating to a business as large and as fragmented as Mitie, with people working in the field and from clients' office with varying technology or none at all

- Invest in people by providing training, and definitely invest in your technology. It will pay off in the end.
    - Bring your senior people into the 21st century by normalising technology, digital marketing, Twitter etc.
    - Save time with constant meetings and travelling by making use of available technology i.e. web cams in every laptop anyway, so use Skype or similar

Great opportunities for those who work hard and some fantastic teams

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a real focus on opportunity and growth at Mitie, things are always changing which I understand that some people find difficult but I think it creates real chances to progress and work in different areas. The work is fast paced and interesting with no two day the same. I'm lucky in that I work with a great team who have a good time at work and support each other through busy and tough periods. The culture of diversity and championing of women is also empowering.

Cons

There will always be challenges in a company as diverse and large as Mitie, processes and procedures can be unwieldy and time consuming and communicating with everyone a tricky task. It is a company that rewards self starters so not ideal for those who need lots of encouragement and micro management (that is a pro as well as con though!)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Couldn't be happier!

Current Employee - Customer Liaison Representative  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Liaison Representative in City of London, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitie full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love working for Mitie, this has been my first job since leaving education and I couldn't have asked for a better company to start with - there is so much to work towards, my current goal is getting a Mitie Star - it is a great motivation that gets me through some of those tough days. The courses, TTTs and blog posts really help me feel like I'm not just a person within a company, it makes me feel like I'm a member of a giant team that just happens to be a company!

Cons

I don't really have anything negative to say, I'm really happy and nothing springs to mind that is remotely negative. I'd probably have to be making it up to put something here to be honest.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great to work for - if you're in the right team

Current Employee - Contract Manager  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Contract Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Central schemes for employee benefits are excellent. Great SAYE scheme, MiDeals incorporates lots of discounts and cashback at big brands. Get into the right team and you will be encouraged, developed and nurtured through the ranks. Advancement can come quickly if you show the right attitude and competence with training in industry qualifications provided (currently doing ILM lvl 5).

Cons

Not all teams work in the same way and satisfaction can vary greatly depending on who you report to. Some contracts / managers are very profit focused and given the low margin on most of the work mitie does things end up being run on a shoestring, leading to increased workload and reduced morale amongst all involved. In some cases, office politics and personal preferences can dictate who advances and who doesn't, leading to managers in positions they are unable to handle.

Stop underselling contracts and ensure a unified approach to sales by involving ops team in the bidding process. Enable ops teams to control how things are tendered to ensure that what we are quoting for is actually deliverable. Don't sell things as "loss leaders" or similar as this will just lead to disgruntled and undervalued employees with no scope for advancements within the budgets of their current contract.

Potential to be brilliant & parts are but definite issues, terrible internal politics & constant restructuring

Former Employee - Senior Administrative  in  Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Administrative in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Mitie full-time for more than a year

Pros

- opportunity to gain experience in different areas due to size and diversity. If you go in with positive attitude of wanting to get ahead and learn and network you really can do that at Mitie and you should be able to get a fair way. There are many staff who have been with the company for over a decade.

- good intentions regarding policies around ethics, diversity & inclusion, volunteering, grad schemes, apprenticeships and so on (although in some areas only lip service is paid by the management). Some of the people and teams who are involved are truly inspiring. The likes of the D&I champion teams in each group, the work of Karen Govier, Jane James (although also now gone), Stephen Barthorpe and Kate Clarke shouldn't be in any way taken lightly. They are phenomenal. (although it would be nice to see all those people round the table at award nights though instead of the usual Cottons/Reading clique who appear in all the pictures!)

- some salaries in senior management are very attractive (although you will be expected to sell your soul to achieve them - see comment about work life balance in 'cons').

- fantastic staff restaurants - Gather & Gather food and staffing is second to none. And the teams who work for Client Services and are on receptions throughout mitie and client sites are also excellent. I am always proud when I see them at events and so on.

- you will find some really talented, lovely and inspiring people to work with. I cannot fault how many fantastic people I met at Mitie, they outshone the negative people for me.

Cons

- work life balance is non existent if you do anything other than the most basic job. Senior management have clearer stated more than once that if you have a blackberry you should expect to be contactable 24/7 and they do - evenings, weekends and so on. And there is not 'overtime' or bonuses for admin staff so if you fall into this trap do not expect reward or recognition for it. I regularly worked 50-60 hours a week (with calls at any hour of day or night) and was told very clearly that senior admin staff don't receive bonuses or overtime. Plus meetings get called and cancelled with literally hours of notice. It's pure dis-organisation and fire fighting.

- the near-constant restructuring is shocking and hugely unsettling for many of the staff. The number of staff out on the 'front line' as cleaners, security etc who have no idea who their own line manager is I found absolutely unbelievable. This is partly due to winning contracts and then pretty poor TUPE procedure but even so, it can be done well - it just needs some proper organisation.

- 'some' of the senior team unfortunately are stuck in a time warp of an 'old boys club' where meetings are held on the golf course in Spain/Portugal and the results of those discussions determine the fate of 1000s of people. The same senior team who laugh at some of the hard work and initiatives put in, for example in Diversity & Inclusion. This is the biggest shame as D&I is really just 'doing the right thing' and shouldn't be difficult. Having these people undermine that is so sad and just reflection of the time they come from and how ingrained in the past they are. However, they have 'always been there' and will probably cost too much for Mitie to ever do anything about until they retire so I fear it's a problem that won't change for another 5 years yet!

-behaviour of some of senior management team: wow - the senior management team mixed with alcohol = headbutting, broken teeth, hospital visits, vomiting in coaches. It's actually appalling. One instance of a Sales Director and Marketing Manager having a physical fight on the top floor of H1 - approx 150 staff watching. The outcome? Both suspended on full pay for a few weeks.... Both are still with the company. Another instance, FD headbutted at a senior management meeting party (again with a lot of drinking) - result? Asked to shake hands and make up. No action taken. Message to the rest of the company? = There is no consequence to unacceptable behaviour at certain levels. I wonder what the outcome would have been if it was junior staff member, cleaner or chef behaving in that way? Food for thought.

-stop restructuring constantly. And when it is absolutely necessary, communicate effectively to the teams who support through finance functions, admin functions & fleet and so on, for example. They are never told about geographical region changes, changes to management structure or what section now sits in what silo. They get frustrated and unhappy, they leave and then it costs you to recruit and train all over again. It's false economy.

-Communications cost nothing and can totally alter people's perception and feeling of inclusion. It's an easy win but you need to invest on a proper communications structure across the whole company. Sitting in Bristol HQ watching the frustrations mount every time a change is finally announced is fascinating. Ruby if you came and sat on the top floor occasionally among your staff you would learn so much.

-sort out the dinosaurs. When they sit at the most senior level of, for example, MFM, they are able to totally influence a culture which affects upwards of 30,000 individuals. They need to be positive, inclusive and supportive of initiatives people are putting in extra time to see succeed..

-bring back proper face-to-face training and inductions. The idea of a company who were supposedly about 'people and passion' (although I know this has changed on the new branding) conducting an induction via e-learning is absurd. The whole point of induction is opportunity to really feel integrated with the business, to network and meet others and to engage. sitting on your own, with headphones on is a cop out.

-listen to what people are saying. I attended a wedding some weeks ago and mentioned I used to work at Mitie and was embarrassed at the reaction. Several people openly thought mitie were villainous, 2 were previous employees who had received terrible treatment during maternity and 1 had heard all sorts of terrible things which I don't even want to repeat. In a world where reputation is King, you need to start listening, making some changes and employ a really top notch communications agency to work for you.

- the front line teams get forgotten by those stuck in offices all day. A couple of senior directors are great at getting out on the floor and visiting sites and meeting cleaners, security guards, chefs and so on. But you would benefit from more visibility. If the payroll team spent some time on the floor in the back of a massive distribution site and saw what those guys are having to do day to day to earn minimum wage they might understand why staff get frustrated when pay is wrong. If a PO processor went out to a busy kitchen and saw how hard it is for the team there to get orders in for busy lunch hour they would appreciate the pressures and difficulties and might be able to alter the system or at least have better comms with those individuals instead of just rejecting POs.

-have an ideas box or feedback system. When I first joined I had ideas for all sorts of way to improve things (with fresh perspective) but no-one could tell me who to go to with ideas or how to escalate or even who to. Empower the staff. You have 78,000 people working for you. I'd imagine 1 or 2 have some great ideas for simple cost saving, ways to improve systems and so on. Every other company I have worked for had an ideas inbox where you could submit the idea and if it was implemented and saved the company money they got a simple reward like a voucher. If you want staff to Excel, Challenge and Inspire you need to Empower and engage!! Roadshows didn't go out far enough. Give everyone a voice.

Personally, I want to see Mitie succeed. I could just vent frustrations and be negative but I see so much potential and it is so frustrating that just a few people and issues undermine that. Certainly you'll never please everyone, but there are some easy wins. Good luck.

Mitie Response

Aug 12, 2014Digital Communications Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post what you think about the business. We really do appreciate the feedback because we know that Mitie isn’t perfect and comments like yours will help us to be ... More

I have had a great career to date with mitie and they are an excellent and supportive company to work for

Current Employee - HEAD of Human Resources, LEGAL, PENSIONS and ER  in  Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - HEAD of Human Resources, LEGAL, PENSIONS and ER in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Mitie for more than 10 years

Pros

The variety of the job, never bored, always challenges, the share schemes are an excellent idea, great way to save, be a part of the company. They have been very supportive of me over the years, whether for personal or professional development, the people are great and it's exciting watching the company grow every day/month/year

Cons

The pace of change can be scary sometimes, so much going on and so much to keep up to speed on, but that is all part of the fun I guess. No real complaints about working for the business

We need to continue to integrate our various business streams and have more back office, admin, HR, training support that supports the entire business. I believe if we work more as a cohesive unit then we will grow in size and profitiability

Penny pinching - tight fisted.

Current Employee - Air Service Assistant  in  Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Air Service Assistant in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Mitie full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None, I would say the fact you actually get paid, but they can't get that right on many occasion!

Cons

Staff spread so thinly it makes the jobs impossible to do which makes for poor quality that then makes the workers look bad. Management have no people skills.

Nothing - waste of time, they have objectives to meet and are not bothered about the workers who actually do the work!

Under pressure

I worked at Mitie

Pros

Some of the people are great.

Cons

High targets. Insane processes resulting in masses of paperwork. Not enough trust.

Get back to trusting and respecting people.

Unhappy employees, is it really all worth that extra profit!!!

Former Employee - Cleaning Supervisor
    Former Employee - Cleaning Supervisor

I worked at Mitie full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good SAYE Scheme, Some great employees, it could be a good place to work.

Cons

Staff are completely expendable, Loyalty means for nothing. Profit is king, moral is irrelevant.

Look in the mirror is it really all worth making staff unhappy for that extra 0.5%. That could be much higher if moral was improved and staff were treated like people. Lets get back to the old days where loyal appreciated staff made a company and brand what it is and not how low you pay them or poorly they are contracted. Zero hours contracts, come on why?? Don,t associate yourselves with these sweatshop style contracts, your FTSE 250, act like it, set an example.

Worked for Mitie? Contribute to the Community!