Mitratech

www.mitratech.com

Mitratech Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

Jason Parkman

Fast-paced, challenging environment, with opportunities to contribute from the ground-up...but with small company issues

ProsPeople are great across the board - helpful, enthusiastic, energetic
    Very flat organization - you will interact with all levels, right up to the CEO. Senior management is very accessible and involved.
    Strong backing from Vista Equity Partners, the equity firm that owns Mitratech as part of its portfolio. That also provides opportunities within Vista, outside of Mitratech.
    Competitive compensation and benefits
    Senior management is excellent and listens
    Very, very young workforce

ConsSmall company environment means that sometimes, things seem a little half-baked, or not thought out
    Work-life balance is a challenge; feels like an "always on" type of place
    Processes can be a bit overwhelming for a small company. This may seem contradictory, with tons of process in a small company, but that is a function of being part of the Vista portfolio. Vista drives out best practices to all of its portfolio companies.
    Products can sometimes be a bit buggy, or behind the curve
    Career paths can be hard to figure out or don't really exist
    Also as a small company, highly impacted by swings in sales performance. A bit worriesome, at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus on transparency and communication; continue to LISTEN to the employees
    Better define the career paths and progressions
    More investment in development and QA/Testing resources
    Get more field (employees and customers) input on the roadmap and product features. In the latest release (4.0), it seems that some key, common sense (to customers) feedback was ignored.

Just not right

Prosmeh, company is "ok", not great.....

ConsAll of these reviews are blatantly fake, and makes you wonder why management has elected to make this forum their primary focus of public relations and recruiting.. What are they trying to hide?

I have been at Mitratech for awhile, and there is not much upside, not much pay, and not much exposure at the company to anything. But I guess with enough time, you can make director or vp level and spend your time writing fake glowing reviews about how great you are.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your job, and not social media, it really speaks negatively about you. Your credentials should be able to carry the company and draw new talent.

Focused on all aspects of growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMitratech's the right size where change can happen and it does. Change can be uncomfortable for people who want to come into work and experience the same thing every day. I sure don't. I like the fact that people are open to solving problems for the business and hearing my opinion.

ConsProviding technology to a client base that isn't very technical has its challenges. They don't always appreciate the extra mile because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on cross-departmental gaps.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

"Clueless"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPerks, benefits and that's it

ConsInstead of using the term "transparent" so loosely, look-up its definition and then work on incorporating it into the company. It's clear that transparency only exists between the members of leadership. The leadership team works in a bubble.They need to place a higher value on manager and staff feedback because they lack sufficient knowledge. Decisions are made without considering the long-term consequences. The recent acquisition was a disaster because they failed to recognize that the other company was successful and didn't require change to bring its success into Mitratech. However, the narrow-minded goal was to revamp procedures, drastically increase pricing, and lay-off staff with years of knowledge and experience with the product they acquired.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate the consequences of the decisions being made before making them. If you let staff go, make sure you have knowledgeable resources in place to assume the vacant roles and avoid placing the burden of dealing with your shortcomings on existing employees. Instead of performing lay-offs based on hitting an arbitrary salary reduction number, if cuts are required do it based on experience. Choose experience over cheap, youthful labor. Get rid of that senseless assessment test because its clear that some of the individuals who passed are not capable of being effective in the positions they're hired for, and valuable talent has been lost. Stop making a distinct separation between departments and work on creating a cohesive environment. Place more focus on client satisfaction instead of the "make money" philosophy.

Keeps getting better

Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI've been with Mitratech in Austin for over 2 years. The first year after the acquisition was rocky and plagued by poor leadership (as come of the other reviews allude to). However, the leadership team in place over the past year has been solid and extremely transparent. The culture and the company as a whole keeps getting better. I love coming into work everyday and I feel like my opinion matters.

ConsLike all companies, there are some people who don't like their jobs and do nothing to improve their situation. Additionally, if you don't adjust well to change and you don't like processes, Mitratech is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Continue the communication.

Coming together

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMost employees are very intelligent-as is management. Processes have taken a long time to gel, but they're finally getting there. Great benefits and casual work environment.

ConsSometimes seems that strategy changes too often. The platform is buggy as can be--chicken wire and duct tape. Be prepared for a complicated data model and complicated architectural design that causes a lot of issues and negatively impacts customers. In addition, the rally cry/mission of 'maximizing shareholder wealth', whether factual or not, makes absolutely no one passionate about being there. Poor choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop and fix the product-there will come a point where you can no longer sell unless you do this. If you don't get ahead of that reality, it will likely come back to haunt you. The world is full of platforms that have had to do so.

Great team and culture, building a great company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNo shortage of opportunity to learn, grow and be challenged for people who think creatively about their careers. For a company of its size, Mitratech takes training very seriously and puts a lot of time and effort into onboarding. While it's not all perfect, the company takes culture and communication very seriously. Very transparent in terms of sharing company performance, values, priorities, reasons for decisions, etc. Casual atmosphere and a lot of great people to work with. Minimal politics.

ConsChange is a constant when "continuous improvement" is a core value. Not a fit for everyone. Still a relatively small company, so advancement may not be as obvious as rungs up a ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working to be a great company. Challenge yourselves to be true to the values you measure everyone else by.

Fast-paced and rewarding career experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros-Opportunities to work on projects you wouldn't get at other companies
    -Career mobility within and across sister companies
    -Focus on continuously improving; few problems persistent over time and "that's just the way it is;" successful employees must also embrace evolving and your own professional development
    -Small company feel with the financial backing and support of a larger company

Cons-Speed and focus on process isn't for everyone; if you do not appreciate quick pace and efficiency it will not be a strong cultural fit
    -Career proposition isn't understood by all; lots to take advantage of if you know the opportunity for what it's worth; believe this to be true for all levels of the organization

Advice to Senior Management-Keep doing what you're doing and maintain focus on people and their development; they're your greatest asset

Confusing

ProsBenefits are good; training can be as good as you have the time and want to do it; larger company can provide better organization, knowledge, etc.

ConsThey were not yet organized and ready when they merged my former company with this existing company; this has caused a lot of confusion from both sides - the existing company and the former company. Too many layers of people; too many people doing jobs that don't seem to be accomplishing anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop and regroup before proceeding further with the organization and running of the company they bought. Hire back the most important person in the former company who could help with the implementation of the merger. This was the new companies biggest mistake. Getting rid of the one person that knew everything about the former company and who could have easily made a more smoother transition for the acquisition.

Current employee, loving it so far

ProsI really enjoy all the perks that Mitratech offers. We have snack day every week (plus the snacks that are available in the kitchen on a daily basis), company happy hours, occasional free lunches, fun trips (like indoor sky diving and Main event), etc. I also like that I can talk to my boss about anything and everyone treats me like a valued team member. Another thing I like is the ability to move around within the company and expand on many skills that I can take with me anywhere.

ConsSome of the upper level managers and directors can be a bit demanding, but that goes with any job. As long as you communicate with them and give updates they aren't too bad to work with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more patient. Sometimes it is a bit much to ask for almost daily updates. Give us time to get things worked out before demanding information.

Worked for Mitratech? Contribute to the Community!