Mizkan Americas, Inc.

2.5

Craig Smith

Rode tide of growth

I worked at Mizkan Americas, Inc.

Pros

Growing company with new lines of business

Cons

Silos exist. Transitioning from entrepreneurial to mature company.

Better pay and training please

Ok

I worked at Mizkan Americas, Inc. full-time

Pros

There are some very smart and talented people working here. Family-like atmosphere. Reasonable commute. Benefits and compensation are slowly reaching market levels. Most employees have been there forever.

Cons

Low pay, compared to other companies. Few opportunities for internal advancement. A lot of organizational changes without much communication from management. Different departments are still operating in silos. I agree with other reviews that the culture is becoming a lot more Japanese (more activity and oversight).

Grown as a Persona and Leader

Current Employee - Leadership in Mount Prospect, IL
    Current Employee - Leadership in Mount Prospect, IL

I have been working at Mizkan Americas, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong Benefits, Fair Pay, Amazing success the last 14 years.

Cons

The Japanese ownership has begun to take over the organization

Don't let the Japanese Take Over

Under New Japanese Management

I worked at Mizkan Americas, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was a job and a paycheck. The commute was also very easy as well.

Cons

Too much finger pointing. Can't please everyone. Silos and "experts" exist everywhere who don't want to admit they don't know as much as they think they know. Pay is 20% under what market value is. Benefits are OK for a single person but not so for a family (ie spouse has to carry medical coverage through their employer in order to qualify for family medical plan). No advancement unless someone retires or dies and even then that is unlikely. If you are a male with no master's degree, you have no future there (I am female). Company dynamics is turning more female and Japanese. IT dept is OK from a help desk side but from an applications support side IT STINKS! Whenever there was an issue with AX the response from the application side was "Like you know I have to call RC on this" (in broken Bangladeshi english) meaning they didn't know how to fix it and had to call their fellow Bangladeshi consultants overseas in order to fix anything, so it usually took 1-5 days (or longer) to get something fixed or changed within the system. Meanwhile you were getting grief from your higher ups because you couldn't get your work done.

New Japanese management team was being brought in when I left. Hopefully they will see the smoke lines that some in upper management are blowing and get rid of them. The company and its products are profitable so hopefully the new management won't be changing that too much by being too risk aversive. Bring local AX developers in and get rid of the Bangladeshi consultants at RC - I'm sure their are some American AX developers in the USA somewhere but you will have to pay for them. Allow for more work from home options without having to use company laptops - they've got citrix but it's so locked down you can't connect in from home so it is of no value when you have to take off if your kid is sick and most many employees don't have company issued laptops (I had an old clunky desktop).

Pretty negative, conformity to ridged practices or death

I have been working at Mizkan Americas, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None come to mind offhand

Cons

Archaic managerial practices that create work and accomplish nothing except to create greater CONTROL

Fire the mid-level "do-nothings" with take up space, oxygen and salary.

decent operation but many flaws in management, operations and processes

I have been working at Mizkan Americas, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good people, decent salaries

Cons

Silos exists everywhere, finger-pointing and issue-avoidance runs rampant

Let knowledgeable people do thier job

ok place to spend some time if you have nothing else going

Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mizkan Americas, Inc.

Pros

Location - major metro area.

Cons

too risk averse; influenced by the Japanese culture. Unless someone retires, chances of one getting promoted are slim to none. Not a good place to advance your marketing career. Good for beginners, since you can get fundamentals.

Don't pretend to be a big corporation. Small companies have their advantages as well; namely, flexibility that you lose by trying to emulate big corporations. Try to motivate people with what's relevant. Using "one size fits all" approach is old school.

Senior Dynamics Ax Developer

Current Employee - Dynamics Ax Developer in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Current Employee - Dynamics Ax Developer in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I have been working at Mizkan Americas, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

MS Dynamics AX is a large scale ERP. It almost widely used and day be day it is becoming very popular for its user friendly operations. I have passed 3 years as a Dynamics Ax Developer with good compensation and look forward to better opportunity in this sector.

Cons

MS Dynamics AX is a large scale widely used ERP. As a Developer our major responsibility to provide live support to end use like issue fixing, modification, change request etc. In that case its a vital and challenging job too.

When new version of Dynamics Ax is available then it complex to migrate. Data archiving is also a tedious task to do. I think all of the complexity might be reduce if Microsoft provide a video documentation on particular task because sometimes it is really tough to implement new tech via paper documents. So in my point of view if we get any video from Microsoft then it is easy to implement.

Not a positive environment for most

I worked at Mizkan Americas, Inc.

Pros

This company will bring out your creativity. Many top notch people in the ranks. It can be a good learning environment if you let it.

Cons

Advancement opportunities are limited. The company expounds "employee involvement" but, does not follow through. Very controlling management. Favoritism rampant.

Practice what you preach, your employees are your best asset.