Mizuho Securities

Mizuho Securities President & CEO John S. Koudounis
John S. Koudounis

Mizuho

I have been working at Mizuho Securities

Pros

Very good work life balance

Cons

Not a lot of drive to succeed

Mizuho requires a thick skin and the ability to handle micromanagement while working with disgruntled employees

Current Employee - Information Technology  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Information Technology in New York, NY

I have been working at Mizuho Securities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Health benefits are great. Most people are friendly. There is a lot to learn if you are willing to put in the time and effort. And for those who prove themselves are always rewarded with more work. (Not sure if you can categorize that as a pro?)

Cons

Most groups are under staffed and over worked. If you have read other "Glassdoor" reviews of Mizuho Securities you will know there are many issues with the IT Department. It seems harder and harder to find the best and brightest employees to join us. Mizuho seem to be hiring those that are good enough while those that are still here are jumping ship at their first opportunity, and who can blame them. You have to feel sorry for those that are left trying to get the work done in this very unhealthy environment, no matter how much they get paid.

I have no advice for management since they know what's going on and seem to not care. Things will only get worse until management makes changes to address this unhealthy environment at what could be a great company to work for.

very political

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Mizuho Securities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

if you are from.parent bank, then it might be the place. otherwise, not.

Cons

too political, no global culture, not.dynamic.

need to understand investment bank.business

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Workplace environment very bad and hostile

I have been working at Mizuho Securities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I think the medical coverage is the only thing that I can consider a pro. The company did offer work from home but that ended and now employees are forced to use their sick days just to get time off.

Cons

There is so many cons about Mizuho Securities that is not easy to list them all but I can give the top 5

1. Management encourages fighting between departments and promotes a hostile environment which leads to low employee morale
    2. The CTO is the absolutely worst individual I have ever met, He publicly disrespects, embarrasses and ridicules his management team. This management style then goes down hill to the lower employees and creates a very hostile and unprofessional environment.
    3. The turn over is very high, if someone has not left the company yet, they are interviewing and planning to leave. We now have frequent "quit" parties were we congratulate the person leaving for finding something better.
    4. Micromanaging is overwhelming at mizuho you need to account for everything you do through out the day and in projects. if you are late with anything you are publicly embarrassed by the CTO and senior management.
    5. Managers turn their cheek to what is going on to protect themselves and put you as the worker out to be slaughtered by the CTO. consistent condescending attitude and a double standard means if you are unhappy your only option is to quit because no one in the company will help you.

I hope you understand why I detailed my cons about working at Mizuho Securities, I hope you use my comments and also the comments of other current and past employees to decide if this is a place for you to work. Honestly this place is a horrible place to work and If I had a chance to go back I would never have accepted their offer.

My only advice is to the Board of Directors or the CEO, you need to investigate the CTO and see what a hostile and unhappy workplace he has created. Something should be done if not you will continue to have such a high turnover and a low morale

Not recommended

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Mizuho Securities full-time

Pros

The Japanese parent bank is very strong. The benefits are excellent.

Cons

The equities department is constructed of a core click that has been together for a long time. Some of those guys are decent some are just getting paid because the are friends in the click. The rest of the department seems to get churned out every year. The culture is very depressing.

Nothing spectabular

Current Employee - Database Analyst  in  Hoboken, NJ
    Current Employee - Database Analyst in Hoboken, NJ

I have been working at Mizuho Securities as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Not too many; they do allow you to work from home on occaision

Cons

Contractors are 2nd class citizens

Things are too tactical; start taking a longer view

not a good work atmosphere for technology professionals

Current Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Mizuho Securities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good healthcare plan and location of office.... that's really it honestly

Cons

No potential for promotions, Micro-management to the worst I have ever seen or experienced. Disgruntled employees, long work ours and weekends with out time off or pay, culture of technology under CTO is to blame, scold and make embarrass employees to the point they want to quit or need to seek professional treatment.

Nothing, management does not listen to anything and that's why you need to consider working for this company

so-so

Former Employee - Fixed Income  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Fixed Income in New York, NY

I worked at Mizuho Securities as an intern for less than a year

Pros

flexible working environment and access to most people on the trading floor (including MDs)

Cons

only a few projects, almost no real world experience

prepare more projects for interns

My experience was like a rough tidal wave ride passing many dysfunctional personalities.

Former Employee - Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Mizuho Securities part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great health insurance, free coffee and breakfast. HR department is helpful.

Cons

Unprofessional, downtrodden culture. Management isn't clear about goals or expectations.

Be more consistent with communications and results.

Good office experience

I have been working at Mizuho Securities

Pros

Good opportunity as an intern to understand the office lifestyle.

Cons

No room for growth as an intern.

Worked for Mizuho Securities? Contribute to the Community!