MobiTV Reviews in Emeryville, CA

2.9

MobiTV Chairman and CEO Charles A. (Charlie) Nooney
Charles A. (Charlie) Nooney

35 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company culture at the beginning when still was in Startup mode

I worked at MobiTV full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome group of people , many perks. There was room for growth and great company events.

Cons

New CEO , ruined culture and started removing slowly removing employee perks

Great company, with a somewhat muddled focus

I worked at MobiTV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There were many opportunities for internal advancement for employees willing to put in the hard work and effort. The technology and space is really interesting and allowed for an ever-changing environment, with a lot of opportunities to learn and grow professionally. Dynamic and challenging customers and timelines provides an exciting work environment with many opportunities to shine.

Cons

Constantly shifting priorities were at times very disruptive, especially when not well communicated across organizations. Occasional power struggles among executive staff created at times a chaotic environment. Emeryville location, although growing in popularity with tech companies, is not ideal for attracting high quality talent or for utilizing public transportation.

The many shifts in priorities created a lot of distraction and lack of trust in company leadership at the working level. Advise management to get on the same page in terms of the direction of the company and try not to be too influenced by every (potential) customer opportunity.

No future there, keep looking

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time for less than a year

Pros

It has a nice view, very friendly people, bagels on tuesday and the pay is actually competitive.
    It's a tough place to get to especially driving 20+ miles but there are plenty of food joints around.
    Thursday happy hour and it's very diverse.

Cons

Unfortunately the company is stuck in the past trying to become competitive.
    Old technology and very buggy software, monthly outages impacting customers.
    Not sure how they still manage to generate money.

Out with the old in with the new. The company needs to innovate instead of dragging the same old technology.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great workplace

Former Employee - Testing Contractor  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Testing Contractor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Lovely view of the bay from the MTV office.

Cons

Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    Lack of clear corporate direction.
    Unhappy customers

A mature company that still learning

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at MobiTV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have a really good engineering manager that shield me from all the chaos in the company. I have the opportunity to learn new things things that makes me a better developer. The office view is awesome. And the company still has a good chance to make it big.

Cons

There are really friendly but also really difficult engineers in this company. There are smart people, but also plenty of below average engineers. For years they made us write code in Lua and it really kept us out of touch with the latest in Android/iOS development.

Hire more smart people with technical leadership. Let go of the experienced, but slow, engineers and don't hire them back.

Not so good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible views, very gay-lesbian friendly environment with lot of them as senior engineers and directors, weekly social events. Had some good engineers and mobile technology.

Cons

No direction, decades old technology, frequent shelving of projects, many clueless managers and directors, recent layoffs and lack of clarity on company's financial future.

Promote worthy people as directors and focus on scalable futuristic products.

Mobi was a lot of fun when I was there, everyone was easy to get a long with including management.

Former Employee - NOC Administrator  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - NOC Administrator in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get along with people, if you know what you're doing you'll be treated as such.

Cons

The NOC received a lot of blame for things out of their hands.

Train the NOC up to be actual candidates for Sys Admin positions.

Cool people, cool technology

Former Employee - NOC Operator  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - NOC Operator in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It never seemed to be too political heavy. Most people wanted to come to work and just do their jobs.

Cons

Mobi lost sight of what they really were during the push to go public. A lot of attrition after the last layoff made some upper management folks to leave resulting in even more attrition. It's actually kinda sad because we lost some key people who knew what was going on behind the scenes.

No longer ahead of the curve

I worked at MobiTV full-time

Pros

Nice people, fun TV-based products (if you like TV), generous perks. Amazing views.

Cons

Frustrating lack of focus and consideration for all stages of the product process by higher-ups and those who are in charge of company direction. Also, constantly changing priorities and lack of follow through with projects results in killing the drive to make something great. Why bother working very hard if what you're doing will likely never see the light of day or will change dramatically next week?

MobiTV worker bees truly want to make great things. Give them time to do it and a reason to do it, and stay focused in one viable direction long enough so that the results aren't so often for nothing.

Stalled and bored

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's easy - no one expects you to actually be able to complete anything, so it's not hard to float on by without doing anything substantial.

Cons

See above - it's so easy to be bored, but unable to actually do anything productive. It got frustrating going through the ridiculous management chain to get anything done.

You know what I'm talking about.

Worked for MobiTV? Contribute to the Community!