MobiTV

MobiTV Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

MobiTV Chairman and CEO Charles A. (Charlie) Nooney

Charles A. (Charlie) Nooney

Great company culture at the beginning when still was in Startup mode

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsAwesome group of people , many perks. There was room for growth and great company events.

ConsNew CEO , ruined culture and started removing slowly removing employee perks

Great company, with a somewhat muddled focus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsThere were many opportunities for internal advancement for employees willing to put in the hard work and effort. The technology and space is really interesting and allowed for an ever-changing environment, with a lot of opportunities to learn and grow professionally. Dynamic and challenging customers and timelines provides an exciting work environment with many opportunities to shine.

ConsConstantly shifting priorities were at times very disruptive, especially when not well communicated across organizations. Occasional power struggles among executive staff created at times a chaotic environment. Emeryville location, although growing in popularity with tech companies, is not ideal for attracting high quality talent or for utilizing public transportation.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe many shifts in priorities created a lot of distraction and lack of trust in company leadership at the working level. Advise management to get on the same page in terms of the direction of the company and try not to be too influenced by every (potential) customer opportunity.

No future there, keep looking

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsIt has a nice view, very friendly people, bagels on tuesday and the pay is actually competitive.
    It's a tough place to get to especially driving 20+ miles but there are plenty of food joints around.
    Thursday happy hour and it's very diverse.

ConsUnfortunately the company is stuck in the past trying to become competitive.
    Old technology and very buggy software, monthly outages impacting customers.
    Not sure how they still manage to generate money.

Advice to Senior ManagementOut with the old in with the new. The company needs to innovate instead of dragging the same old technology.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a great workplace

Testing Contractor (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsLovely view of the bay from the MTV office.

ConsToo many cooks spoil the broth.
    Lack of clear corporate direction.
    Unhappy customers

A mature company that still learning

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsI have a really good engineering manager that shield me from all the chaos in the company. I have the opportunity to learn new things things that makes me a better developer. The office view is awesome. And the company still has a good chance to make it big.

ConsThere are really friendly but also really difficult engineers in this company. There are smart people, but also plenty of below average engineers. For years they made us write code in Lua and it really kept us out of touch with the latest in Android/iOS development.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more smart people with technical leadership. Let go of the experienced, but slow, engineers and don't hire them back.

Not so good place to work

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsIncredible views, very gay-lesbian friendly environment with lot of them as senior engineers and directors, weekly social events. Had some good engineers and mobile technology.

ConsNo direction, decades old technology, frequent shelving of projects, many clueless managers and directors, recent layoffs and lack of clarity on company's financial future.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote worthy people as directors and focus on scalable futuristic products.

It was a great place to work if you seek the opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany is very open to cross group training.

ConsNone if you are not embroiled in the politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions quickly and stick to it.

Mobi was a lot of fun when I was there, everyone was easy to get a long with including management.

NOC Administrator (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsEasy to get along with people, if you know what you're doing you'll be treated as such.

ConsThe NOC received a lot of blame for things out of their hands.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the NOC up to be actual candidates for Sys Admin positions.

A wonderful company to work for!

ProsThe culture here is amazing. SO many wonderful people, fun events, and opportunities to grow here. I am so blessed to be a member of the team here. I am very excited to see what the future has to offer!

ConsI honestly don't have anything bad to say about this company. There are areas that can use improvement, but changes are constantly being made to improve processes and communication for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Cool people, cool technology

NOC Operator (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsIt never seemed to be too political heavy. Most people wanted to come to work and just do their jobs.

ConsMobi lost sight of what they really were during the push to go public. A lot of attrition after the last layoff made some upper management folks to leave resulting in even more attrition. It's actually kinda sad because we lost some key people who knew what was going on behind the scenes.

Worked for MobiTV? Contribute to the Community!