MobiTV Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.9

MobiTV Chairman and CEO Charles A. (Charlie) Nooney
Charles A. (Charlie) Nooney

Good environment with great work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at MobiTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

MobiTV gave a poor impression during the application process (paper application was a massive red flag), but once on the inside things are great. Most importantly, it's a high tech company. Since the hiring I haven't seen paper again. My team always is using the newest tech and investigating what up and coming thing might become superior what we are using today. The tech we work on is pretty cool and exactly the skills I wanted to develop. The perks are nice too. The free cereal and drinks really makes mornings less painful, the weekly happy hour is nice and the flexible hours are awesome. You really get the feeling that doing cool things well is the only thing that matters, and my coworkers are doing what they love.

Cons

I don't see any downsides, but there are two things I hear from other people. 1. Perks used to be better and they miss that. 2. The the tech is great, but the application, television, isn't new.

Great working environment with plenty of opportunity to grow personally and professionally!

I have been working at MobiTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at MobiTV has been a wonderful experience so far. When I first started, everyone was very friendly and willing to go out of their way to help even if it wasn't in their field of expertise. Although the company has been established for a while now, it still feels like a start-up environment which I prefer. Every Thursday we have Happy Hour in the office where we all get to relax and mingle with each other and enjoy some delicious food ranging from sushi to tacos to even ice cream sundaes!

The work you do here really does go recognized. Within a few months, I was promoted and given a competitive salary in my field. I have been given challenging but also very rewarding projects that I have been longing to get experience in. Working in mobile and tech has been great since these industries are rapidly evolving and we get to test on new products and services. Also, MobiTV allows an excellent work-life balance!

The MobiTV HQ's are located on the top floors with stunning views of the Bay. Our building is steps away from the EmeryMarket and closely located to a lot of other affordable eateries and brand new apartment complexes. Parking here is also a breeze with two very large parking areas available to use.

Overall, working here has been a wonderful and fulfilling experience thus far.

Cons

Communication would be a good thing to improve. It has been difficult at times when I am not informed on the status about certain projects and instead overhear them from my colleagues. Not really a company con, more like an improvement for the team. 401K Match would also be nice but they include many other employee benefits so not a big deal.

Would like to have more All-Hands Meetings. Monthly would be preferable since it would be great to have more frequent updates on how well the company is doing and discuss the status on current strategies. Also, better seating for the All-Hands meetings. Sitting on the floor and hovering in the back is a little awkward so maybe having more chairs available.

As an intern, I've learned a lot and feel like it has been a fun, worthwhile experience.

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at MobiTV as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-new technology
    -new mobile application
    -relaxed environment that gives you space as long as you get your work done
    -other employees were very respectful and friendly
    -a good amount of perks (happy hour, bagel tuesdays, company wide baseball game, discounted onsite massage, etc.)
    -very flexible with schedule & time-off
    -senior engineers and leads are very helpful when they are available
    -as an intern, they threw me right into the code base without any fluff projects so I was able to touch code that the other engineers were working on. i felt respected and appropriately challenged. I feel like I learned android much faster this way and was able to contribute real code that will be used when they release the product.

Cons

-my particular team works on the newest upcoming product so work was demanding at times
    -have to keep up with design changes, sometimes having to reverse what you worked on
    -occasionally was difficult to communicate to other teams for support required for my story
    -there wasn't a formal intern onboarding for the codebase/agile process so it took a while getting used to what steps were required to communicate and get things done

Provide a more clear system for communication in the beginning for new interns.

Keep having more internship programs in the future!

Great company culture at the beginning when still was in Startup mode

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome group of people , many perks. There was room for growth and great company events.

Cons

New CEO , ruined culture and started removing slowly removing employee perks

Lost it's way

I worked at MobiTV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great, what's left of them. Certain groups are trying very hard to keep morale up and this ship from sinking with little to no help from the executives.

Cons

This place has become a sweat shop that cares only about immediate results with no long term vision.

Great company, with a somewhat muddled focus

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were many opportunities for internal advancement for employees willing to put in the hard work and effort. The technology and space is really interesting and allowed for an ever-changing environment, with a lot of opportunities to learn and grow professionally. Dynamic and challenging customers and timelines provides an exciting work environment with many opportunities to shine.

Cons

Constantly shifting priorities were at times very disruptive, especially when not well communicated across organizations. Occasional power struggles among executive staff created at times a chaotic environment. Emeryville location, although growing in popularity with tech companies, is not ideal for attracting high quality talent or for utilizing public transportation.

The many shifts in priorities created a lot of distraction and lack of trust in company leadership at the working level. Advise management to get on the same page in terms of the direction of the company and try not to be too influenced by every (potential) customer opportunity.

No future there, keep looking

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It has a nice view, very friendly people, bagels on tuesday and the pay is actually competitive.
    It's a tough place to get to especially driving 20+ miles but there are plenty of food joints around.
    Thursday happy hour and it's very diverse.

Cons

Unfortunately the company is stuck in the past trying to become competitive.
    Old technology and very buggy software, monthly outages impacting customers.
    Not sure how they still manage to generate money.

Out with the old in with the new. The company needs to innovate instead of dragging the same old technology.

Not a great workplace

Former Employee - Testing Contractor in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Testing Contractor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lovely view of the bay from the MTV office.

Cons

Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    Lack of clear corporate direction.
    Unhappy customers

A mature company that still learning

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at MobiTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have a really good engineering manager that shield me from all the chaos in the company. I have the opportunity to learn new things things that makes me a better developer. The office view is awesome. And the company still has a good chance to make it big.

Cons

There are really friendly but also really difficult engineers in this company. There are smart people, but also plenty of below average engineers. For years they made us write code in Lua and it really kept us out of touch with the latest in Android/iOS development.

Hire more smart people with technical leadership. Let go of the experienced, but slow, engineers and don't hire them back.

Not so good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I worked at MobiTV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible views, very gay-lesbian friendly environment with lot of them as senior engineers and directors, weekly social events. Had some good engineers and mobile technology.

Cons

No direction, decades old technology, frequent shelving of projects, many clueless managers and directors, recent layoffs and lack of clarity on company's financial future.

Promote worthy people as directors and focus on scalable futuristic products.