Mobile Messenger

Updated May 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Fisher

Fast paced company with a lot of room for learning and growth.

Product Manager (Former Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsYou learn a lot. If you have talent and energy, you can move up.

ConsIf you want a slow office job, this is not the best place for you.

Opportunities to develop new software were declining.

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe people were good to work with and there was a good work life balance. The company's culture was positive throughout my time there.

ConsThe number of people involved in development was shrinking. Because of limited resources, progress in developing the new system was pretty slow, and with few people, the environment wasn't very dynamic.

A business model built around SMS subscriptions. Seriously.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI was paid a decent salary during my short tenure at MM. Nice building with easy access to a mall and decent food court. Monday morning bagels.

ConsThe primary business model at MM is SMS subscriptions. Remember those old commercials ("text IMASUCKER to 12345 to receive daily horoscope messages")? Well, MM still does that. (Or at least they still did a few years ago - I thankfully have no idea what they're up to today, though it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they're still up to their old shenanigans.) I was sold a long story about how they're looking to move beyond this SMS business model, which is why I left another job to take a position at MM.

Upon starting my new job, I didn't receive *any* training, most notably on their proprietary content management system (which was AWFUL, yet essential to many peoples' job functions). The staff seemed resentful that I was brought on board, so I was treated like dirt by most of my colleagues from the get-go. When I was hired, I was told that the company was going to provide me with any and all tools I need to get the job done. When I requested software (required to do the work I was asked to do), I was almost laughed out of the room. A thousand dollars in software licenses? Please! In short, I was basically put into an impossible situation where success was far beyond reach. As such, I was let go with little explanation and a sad severance package.

Lastly, executives at MM make ungodly amounts of money. You'll see Ferraris, Maseratis, etc in the parking garage. Not suggesting they didn't earn it, but there was undoubtedly a boys club at the top of the MM food chain and they seemed to revel in their separateness. It's demoralizing, to be sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a business model that doesn't make you look like scam artists. Work harder to make new hires not feel like red headed stepchildren. Drop the absurd business-casual dress code because you won't find young talent who will put up with slacks and button-downs every day.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A decent company to work for...

ProsMobile Messenger is a company that offers a great technical experience that can enhance ones career.

ConsThis is a company that is not always clear on how much they care for their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more open and communicative to their employees.

Learned some good skills, but management limits opportunities for growth.

Software/Test Engineer (Former Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsLearn about mobile industry
    Learn about web as well as LAMP stack.

ConsShady business model
    No raises or bonuses in the two years I was there.
    Management limited opportunities to expand skills or grow.
    Management prioritized everything as an emergency, so there was constant firefighting
    Business model focused on SMS "sandbox" for too long, so opportunities to expand into newer aspects of mobile space (tablets, Android) are stifled.
    Several rounds of layoffs have occurred, many employees have left Watertown office with no effort to backfill those positions.

Turbulent start-up environment with lots of opportunities ti make things happen

Commercial Manager (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsRelaxed atmosphere (Australian owners), good pay and benefits, good work life balance, good company events

ConsBusiness model slightly shady, very abrupt changes and restructuring, questionable long term growth prospects

Great and not so great!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsInnovative company and growing in the mobile advertising medium.
    Great atmosphere and location.

ConsA lot of hours and not enough compensation
    No room for vertical advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the big picture and take care of your employees first everything else will follow.

Very little communication from senior management and silo'd approach to decision making

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsWell paying, leader in the space.

ConsLittle delegation or empowerment from senior management. Little management or oversight.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees and share information.

A roller coast ride to say the least

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsWatch over your shoulder so you don't get pushed under a bus

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't care unless you had a title after your name

Young company looking to do the right thing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNew vision how the product should be handled was inspiring

Conslack of direction and focus within my department

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish them all the best

Worked for Mobile Messenger? Contribute to the Community!