MobileIron Reviews

68 reviews filtered by
3.9
MobileIron President & CEO Bob Tinker
Bob Tinker

Pros
  • The free food at the office is a good perk (in 3 reviews)

• Everyone is on the same page and strives to achieve the same goal which is to make this company better than it already is and number 1 in the market (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • engineering culture needs a reset in order to scale (attitudes, 360 reviews, execute on feedback) (in 4 reviews)

• The Engineering culture needs to improve (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Secret Sauce for Engineers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Upper management has open door policy
    -Receptive to new ideas
    -Fellow engineers are at the top of their field
    -If they see something's broken they fix it quickly
    -Excellent exec sponsors shield you from BS so you can do your job
    -Overall Compensation, from what I've heard, since going public has actually improved and they are being very fair when leveling roll-over packages of existing employees.

Cons

Tend to listen to the customer a bit too much when iterating. But we're steering towards a better balance.

Advice to Management

Keep the all-hands meetings. Very inspirational and, as an engineer, it's difficult for me to rub elbows so this gentle push is very effective.

2. Make sales happen

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hot space, great technology, strong customer base

Cons

XTeam/Leadership is not aligned. CEO out of touch with sales and customers.

Advice to Management

Innovate, get rid of CC, restart marketing

3. Great culture.

Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Jose, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and company. Highly recommended. We really deliver the best product for our customers.

Cons

Sometimes I question the strategic direction, though I fully believe we are the best at what we do in the industry.

The kook-aid is strong with this one.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beer fridge and tiki bar with many alcoholics to keep you company.

Cons

Engineering is the tire of the mobileiron car.

Enough burn outs and panic stops and you're thrown by the wayside for fresh set of rubber.

Advice to Management

Why bother. You're not listening.

sales

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product, great people to work with

Cons

sales - a lot of favoritism, good old boys club, management all talk no action,
    morale is terrible and quota is a joke. you will not make money here
    marketing is terrible, the competition outflanks mobileiron everytime

Advice to Management

matching 401K, take a close look at your sales leadership team.
    be innovated
    stop with the arrogance and big ego. IPO was a flop!!! should have taken offers to bought

7. Intensely customer-focused team with a very high bar for performance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a young, aggressive team with a very high bar for performance. One of the company values is intellectual honesty--which requires, in part, that we are open and honest about both the root causes of our success and the ways in which we can improve. It's quite an adjustment for many of us--and a breath of fresh air for others. It requires that you suppress your ego and deal with a lot of competing ideas on how to best do things. The up-side is that we quickly develop a shared idea of how to do things and our code is often better and more robust as a result; the down-side is that it's rough many developers who aren't used to such open criticism. As in many growing companies, it's a fun place to work, because there are all the resources you need to do your job (good hardware, great ops support, a well-stocked kitchen, a comfortable office space), a general sense of optimism pervades the workplace, and the quality of the team is very high. Everyone is an owner, so we all do well financially if the company does well. If you're the sort of person who can see a job that needs to be done and then goes and does it, you'll love it here. If you thrive in sharing what you're doing with your peers, and learning from their comments, without expectation that every idea you have is a good one, you'll love it here.

Cons

As with any rapidly-growing company, getting a plan in place is hard. Most people are running as fast as they can to stay in one place. The team is a little understaffed, which means we have to pick up the slack for each other, and planning is a bit more chaotic than many will want. If you are egotistical about your code or need someone to feed you work and shelter you from others, this place will drive you crazy. There are many strong personalities who will comment on what you're doing, and expect that you'll change things that may seem wrong or insignificant to you. If that kind of group focus bothers you, you'll hate working in engineering here.

Advice to Management

- Continue to review what's happening in the trenches; you're strong in this area, and need to get stronger
    - We need to get a mid- and long-range technical vision pushed out to the whole team
    - Many processes are still immature, and unfairly load a few people; we need better, more objective processes for defining changes and releasing new code to the main line

Might be okay for sales people, but not for engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food from Costco in each of the break rooms (cereal, fruit, candy, soda)
    Hours are mostly normal in engineering
    Free lunch on Thursdays at the All Hands meeting

Cons

When I saw the reviews here I was puzzled by the number of positive ones. At one point there was an internal push to fill Glassdoor with good reviews for the company, but that still doesn't really explain the number of positive ones.

The reason I believe this happens is there's two worlds. First off, it's a sales driven company, starting at the very top. That's world one. Remember that. If you're good at selling the product, this might be a company you'd want to look at, if your total compensation is high enough. You work for a while and make some money while you can and know it won't last forever. It's sort of like Uber, if you like what you hear about that. Then, there's the other world. If you're an engineer, it's the opposite. The engineers don't call the shots. Using the Uber analogy, we're the guys driving the cabs. Either way, there are only a couple of good engineers, the people who might be able to get a job at the "A" companies in the valley.

If you're an engineer, stay away. Engineers are under a lot of pressure and get fired fairly often, or forced out.

As an engineer, you won't be sent to training or developer conferences. It doesn't matter who you are. Your job is to sit at the desk and write code, or go to the daily meetings. I can't emphasize enough the level of micromanagement. Your manager will look over your shoulder to check what you're doing. They'll make silly comments in your code review because they don't know what's going on, but they can't let go. You took a sick day? Explain why. Now go fill out the sick day form. So, as you might guess, many engineers cycle out of this Orwellian world quickly.

MobileIron Response

Apr 14, 2015Director of Talent

Hi,
    I'm sorry that you're not having a great experience here at MobileIron. Your experience is definitely one that we don't want our employees to have. Senior leadership is actively engaged in
    ... More

9. New to MobileIron

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Engineer

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This place is great so far... Very welcoming and exciting environment.

Cons

Nothing at the moment. I'm just too new.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. The work is hard but rewarding and great management is at every level.

-Free food
    -Unlimited vacation
    -Great management
    -Friendly staff
    -New and exciting tech

Cons

-Very fast moving company, can be challenging to keep up

Not For Engineers

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at MobileIron

Pros

Good Kitchen, Good HR, Good comp but no bonus.

Cons

The Engineering leadership in this company is not suitable for growth for any existing or future employee and should be skeptical before joining this organization. They have two groups here with onpremise and cloud and the general consensus is that both teams dont go very well with each other and have no interaction between them even if they are working on same objective.

The Engineering leadership has developed a culture of fear where if even small things don't happen to there liking you might be shown the door. The management is not receptive to idea's as they have a predefined mindset. The culture of fear is not quite evident among engineers who even dont interact with each other and rather prefer to work on there own products and go home rather than trying to achieve a greater goal.

Greater importance is given to manual QA processes and team rather than automation, hence people doing the manual work hold up the engineering deliverable timelines at ransome even if the product development has finished, this is extremely irritating.

Not a place where engineers can discover other great engineers they would like to work on for life on great products as engineers are not communicating with themselves and sharing ideas because of fear mentality and pressure.

Advice to Management

Shake up engineering as there is no really any engineering culture as these are the guys building your product.