MobileIron

Updated February 23, 2015
4.2

MobileIron President & CEO Bob Tinker
Bob Tinker

Pros
  • The free food at the office is a good perk (in 3 reviews)

• Everyone is on the same page and strives to achieve the same goal which is to make this company better than it already is and number 1 in the market (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • engineering culture needs a reset in order to scale (attitudes, 360 reviews, execute on feedback) (in 4 reviews)

• The Engineering culture needs to improve (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Intensely customer-focused team with a very high bar for performance

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is a young, aggressive team with a very high bar for performance. One of the company values is intellectual honesty--which requires, in part, that we are open and honest about both the root causes of our success and the ways in which we can improve. It's quite an adjustment for many of us--and a breath of fresh air for others. It requires that you suppress your ego and deal with a lot of competing ideas on how to best do things. The up-side is that we quickly develop a shared idea of how to do things and our code is often better and more robust as a result; the down-side is that it's rough many developers who aren't used to such open criticism. As in many growing companies, it's a fun place to work, because there are all the resources you need to do your job (good hardware, great ops support, a well-stocked kitchen, a comfortable office space), a general sense of optimism pervades the workplace, and the quality of the team is very high. Everyone is an owner, so we all do well financially if the company does well. If you're the sort of person who can see a job that needs to be done and then goes and does it, you'll love it here. If you thrive in sharing what you're doing with your peers, and learning from their comments, without expectation that every idea you have is a good one, you'll love it here.

Cons

As with any rapidly-growing company, getting a plan in place is hard. Most people are running as fast as they can to stay in one place. The team is a little understaffed, which means we have to pick up the slack for each other, and planning is a bit more chaotic than many will want. If you are egotistical about your code or need someone to feed you work and shelter you from others, this place will drive you crazy. There are many strong personalities who will comment on what you're doing, and expect that you'll change things that may seem wrong or insignificant to you. If that kind of group focus bothers you, you'll hate working in engineering here.

- Continue to review what's happening in the trenches; you're strong in this area, and need to get stronger
    - We need to get a mid- and long-range technical vision pushed out to the whole team
    - Many processes are still immature, and unfairly load a few people; we need better, more objective processes for defining changes and releasing new code to the main line

New to MobileIron

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Engineer

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This place is great so far... Very welcoming and exciting environment.

Cons

Nothing at the moment. I'm just too new.

Keep up the good work

Great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best company I've ever worked for. The work is hard but rewarding and great management is at every level.

-Free food
    -Unlimited vacation
    -Great management
    -Friendly staff
    -New and exciting tech

Cons

-Very fast moving company, can be challenging to keep up

Might be okay for sales people, but not for engineers

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food from Costco in each of the break rooms (cereal, fruit, candy, soda)
    Hours are mostly normal in engineering
    Free lunch on Thursdays at the All Hands meeting

Cons

When I saw the reviews here I was puzzled by the number of positive ones. At one point there was an internal push to fill Glassdoor with good reviews for the company, but that still doesn't really explain the number of positive ones.

The reason I believe this happens is there's two worlds. First off, it's a sales driven company, starting at the very top. That's world one. Remember that. If you're good at selling the product, this might be a company you'd want to look at, if your total compensation is high enough. You work for a while and make some money while you can and know it won't last forever. It's sort of like Uber, if you like what you hear about that. Then, there's the other world. If you're an engineer, it's the opposite. The engineers don't call the shots. Using the Uber analogy, we're the guys driving the cabs. Either way, there are only a couple of good engineers, the people who might be able to get a job at the "A" companies in the valley.

If you're an engineer, stay away. Engineers are under a lot of pressure and get fired fairly often, or forced out.

As an engineer, you won't be sent to training or developer conferences. It doesn't matter who you are. Your job is to sit at the desk and write code, or go to the daily meetings. I can't emphasize enough the level of micromanagement. Your manager will look over your shoulder to check what you're doing. They'll make silly comments in your code review because they don't know what's going on, but they can't let go. You took a sick day? Explain why. Now go fill out the sick day form. So, as you might guess, many engineers cycle out of this Orwellian world quickly.

Great place to work, learn and grow

I have been working at MobileIron

Pros

Company values and benefits are excellent, we have some strong highly technical folks from the silicon valley working for the company

Cons

The workload is enormous and you have to be very aggressive to survive the competition. The company is under evaluated and I hope to see strong growth

Decent company but really cheap

I have been working at MobileIron

Pros

Hot product space with a bright future

Cons

No matching 401 K
    Bonus Program only pays annually and paid in stock, which takes weeks to get and will likely dip before it can be converted to cash
    Spends more money attracting new talent than rewarding existing talent
    No vacation policy...let's all be honest, that's just a way to get an accounts payable off your books. When I go on vacation no one does my job, it just stacks up. At least with a vacation policy I'll get paid out when I'm burned out and quit.
    The 7 - 5 stock split was slap in the face.

Stop being so cheap to your existing employees.
    Do an honest annual review.

Stay away from engineering

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at MobileIron

Pros

Awesome Sales & Marketing . Very good top management.

Cons

Engineering is managed by really crappy people.

Engineering is more like friends & family party with selected few. There is no professionalism.

There is no appreciation/respect for each other. Totally hierarchical for a small group with crappy leaders

Each one is trying to prove the other that they are better with nonsense code reviews. Lack of common sense is mind boggling!

People are fired for no reason.

There is no vision or roadmap for the product.

QA has no clue about software development and are total liability. They add no value to the product.

Concentrate on engineering not just sales & marketing. Engineering needs reboot with different set of people heading it.

Firing employee is on top in Mobileiron

I have been working at MobileIron

Pros

Here most of the reviews are either from sales or marketing which is self justified but for engineering situation is totaly different.
    I would like to tell real situation in Mobileiron for Engineering Team which is firing every month .There is no job security now.This new trend started around 9 month ago and there were firing of engineering team member every 3 month but from last 3 month every month one member.

Cons

There is no security for Engineers and Mobileiron has adopted firing their employee every now and then which is making condition worse.

Please make fridays better as normally pink slips are given on friday without any notice.

Prefer giving 2 weeks notice so that a person can search some where else.

Let everyone know that there is a good trend of firing employee in Mobileiron.

MobileIron Response

Dec 6, 2014VP HR

Thank you for your feedback. At MobileIron our commitment to our employees and to our culture is our top priority. We work very hard to maintain an intellectually honest environment and a culture of ... More

Fast-moving, innovative company leading the Mobile First revolution!

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MobileIron

Pros

Great culture, incredibly smart staff, startup feel, great perks, excellent product suite with top right Gartner status, unlimited vacation.

Cons

No matching 401(k) contributions today. Other than that it's great!

Keep focusing on customers, don't lose startup-like agility and culture, and continue innovating rapidly!

Great Start to a Company, incredible market opportunity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at MobileIron full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well timed company.
    Great first wave of customers.
    Seems like the choice for Enterprise.
    Strong Channel partners
    Tunneling and AppConnect are a great advantage.

Cons

President and exec team seem disconnected from employees and customers.
    Politics are on the rise.
    CEO only asks for feedback and only trusts a few people in the company. To get anything done, you need to be in favor with the few...
    the sales reps don't seem trusting of the channel
    Marketing is a sham.

open up the internal communications
    stay close to your channel partners, they will differentiate you over time
    bring the big ISVs into AppConnect
    fix marketing
    force the CEO to communicate or get him out