MobileIron Reviews

Updated October 8, 2014
Updated October 8, 2014
4.4

Bob Tinker

Excellent culture; huge market opportunity

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are great, culture is very authentic. The market opportunity is huge. Mobility is a really hot space and MobileIron is right in the middle of the action. I genuinely like working here.

Cons

Like all hyper-growth companies -- the challenge is to scale and keep executing on goals. It is the right type of challenge. We need more people, more space etc.

Keep investing in innovation and quality as we continue to grow. Nurture the culture as we grow. Keep investing in the talent and get ahead of hiring demands.

Oct 10, 2014CEO

Not enough space for new hires joining MobileIron is a good problem! Facilities is working on this issue and relief is on the way. We will continue to invest in our people as we work together ... More

Smart people solving tough problems!

Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

1. Uber Smart Co-workers: I'm privileged to work with the most intelligent engineers and business folks in the mobile space.
    2. Supportive Management: The executives, VPs, and directors have an open door policy. Our CEO even hold an all-staff meeting every week where he shares with everyone the latest news in the market and our company.
    3. Challenging & Rewarding Work: We are working in a fast moving market to solve problems that will shape the way that people work in the new mobile environment.

Cons

1. Slightly crammed office - good problem to have that we are looking to resolve

Keep doing whatcha doing!!

Oct 9, 2014CEO

We wouldn't be where we're at now without people like you who believe in our mission of MobileFirst! Relief is on the way to resolve the crammed office spaces.

Hardest and most rewarding job I've had in my career!

Current Employee - Sales in Happy Camp, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Happy Camp, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highest degree of integrity that this segment of the IT industry has to offer. MobileIron leadership and all employees want to do what is right for the customer and not pull a slide of hand over customer & prospects as we see a lot of the competitors do in this space. There are great and very smart people that work at MI and most everyone is here to help versus fulfill their own agenda. The politics at MI do not seem to match what I've seen at other valley companies. Also, the company is focused on delivering the most solid product that it can to the market.

Cons

Competing with the big boys now. Large established companies that have bought other EMM/MDM players have access to relationships that MI may not. Decisions can be made in favor of them based on an existing buying vehicle or costs for a competitor solution can be hidden in another product without MI being given a fair shake. Sometimes it feels like leadership either turns a blind eye or they're oblivious to how impactful this is to the efforts of MI employees when trying to win business. Lastly, as noted in "Pros" the company is focused on the delivering the most solid product. However, sometimes we cannot get out of our own way to deliver a need that's been voiced by customers, prospects and employees alike because we are focused on something else. Marketing... Seems to be an afterthought. Sometimes, we're a little too conservative of a company. Probably one of the most stressful jobs I've every had but as noted before it's also very rewarding but burnout could be a factor for many.

Understand that top execs at prospects and customers alike have relationships with what are now very large and very well funded companies where that competition has long standing and established relationships. Need strategies from CORPORATE to help penetrate those layers. MUST SPEND MONEY ON MARKETING or spend money on marketing efforts that we can see. Need to get aggressive at build the brand recognition. In terms of product development, if we're resource constrained and can't deliver a check box feature that's in high demand due to that constraint, invest in bringing on other resources. Watch employee burnout. As noted, probably one of the most stressful jobs most of us have ever worked.

Fast paced, bright coworkers, great opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MobileIron is a fast growing company in the valley and you get to work in the area of mobility, which is poised to truly transform the way we live in work over the next several years. The company has landed some seriously marquee customers (Barclays, Discovery Communications, Toyota) which means you get to work on complex, interesting, real world problems. Free food, drinks (adult and normal), flexible work schedules and strong ESPP program round out the employee benefits.

Cons

The company has not always been best at promoting from within. You need to be assertive with your management to move up in the organization, simply executing won't move you forward necessarily. Also, the facilities could use some freshening up, offices physically don't have the hip, fun atmosphere that other valley companies do and certainly don't match the excitement of the people working inside them.

Aug 14, 2014CEO

Thank you for you comments! Yes, we are definitely working on career progression plans for all employees. We want to absolutely recognize our star contributors to the Company's success.

The
    ... More

Great place to work

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, startup mentality, fast pace/ ever changing environment, strong leadership, best product in this space

Cons

Growth and success has created challenges around process and internal communication

Need to work on top down and bottom up messaging to be consistent with strategy and direction..... What is the focus, we can't do everything...

Needs improvement in engineering team and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time

Pros

The company has grown very fast in last 18 months. The company is in the right sector for growth. There are some small teams in Engineering who enjoy work, are productive and work well with each other.
    Abundant food in the kitchen - people who want to work for long long hours can do it happily.

Cons

In engineering team, the company has too many directors and managers. Currently, there is a government job like culture, introduced by some directors. There are multiple manual QA teams and they do not understand software concepts. I can't think of any fast growing company in the silicon valley that does manual QA these days.

The CEO compares MobileIron to game changing companies like Salesforce.com, splunk, FireEye - but they should also see if they are comparable in terms of engineering culture, teams, etc.

Apart from the engineering, the workplace is small for the entire engineering team. There is no true table and chair for everyone, noisy and difficult to get work done. Feel like I can work better remotely from home.

Make it a flat team structure. Follow the lead set by other great companies in the valley in terms of engineering process.

Great place to work but beware of internal ego clashes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at MobileIron as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

One of the better companies to work in the bay area. Very competitive engineers which can be both a pro and a con depending on your position.

Cons

Too much politics. Too many ego clashes are seen between engineers. They seem to overemphasize and overdo code reviews resulting in an ugly slug fest sometimes wasting everyones time. Also there seems to be some tension between several teams esp amongst the managers because of this. The Engineering culture needs to improve.

Need to concentrate on delivering a quality product on time. Cut the politics and listen to your employees.

Wonderful experience at MobileIron

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been working in the IT industry for close to 15 years, MobileIron is by far the best company I've worked at. This company has a genuine interest in keeping it's employees in a positive working environment. The other IT staff are diverse in their skill set, as a whole seem to conquer any and all issues. There is a genuine family environment which shows through to customers.

Cons

The company is exiting it's start up phase so the compensation is more salary based than stock based. (This was a con to me although it may be a pro to some)

Continue to keep your employees needs in mind as they help fuel the forward movement of the company!

Too focused on features over reliability

I worked at MobileIron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The free food at the office is a good perk.

The employees are highly intelligent and are uniformly excellent people.

Cons

The company is too focused on chasing new features, neglecting product reliability. This results in a product which gets new features that are untested, undocumented, and nearly unsupportable.

The product has features being added by Engineering and Professional Services, with widely varying testing and reliability requirements.

Adding features is great. Adding working feature is better. Actually testing new features is the best.

One of the most impressive interviews I have ever experienced

I have been working at MobileIron

Pros

Just interviewing for a position can be a stressful experience since you most of the time and in many cases is a one-way process. That was not the case when I interviewed here earlier this week. Each person who I spoke with during my interview for a position had nothing but helpful feedback to the responses I gave to their questions at each point during the interview. It really made the 3 hours spent there well worth the time and it made me wish that more companies followed the same methodology during the interview process. Even if I do not get a position here I can say for certain that anyone who interviews here will have a rewarding experience.

Cons

Cons? I honestly did not feel there were any with each person being friendly and giving meaningful feedback before moving onto the next person. Granted, it was 3 hours long but when you spend that long talking to multiple people and feel like you got some useful feedback I can't really see that as a downside.