Mocana Reviews

2.8
James Isaacs

1. Inside Sales Manager

I worked at Mocana full-time

Pros

Very open to moving to other jobs in the company.

Cons

The company can be a bit "clicky" and certain groups can be inviting. Management needs to communicate more. Everyone always seems to be on a different page.

2. Sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What can I say I Enjoyed my team.

Cons

No company culture and stressful environment

3. Too soon to tell

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed the team, the flexible hours and the responsibilities of the job.

Cons

The company's trying to find it's path and without a firm GTM plan, it's an unstable environment.

Advice to Management

Figure out which product to back and what market to target. You have an excellent team in place to get you there, but they need to know what they are selling and who to sell it to.

5. Rewarding, challenging, and fun

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Marlborough, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since the leadership and product shift over the past few years Mocana has become an entirely different company, as well as moving into the public spotlight as a promising start-up. Every Engineer I've met in this company was hired for a particular reason - they are incredibly smart, talented, and dedicated. In the short release cycles we are currently experiencing, every single engineer produces solid, well-designed and well-implemented code at an impressive rate. The culture in both offices is typically relaxed, upbeat, and friendly; everyone has a good sense of humor, a strong desire to learn and collaborate, and never take themselves too seriously. Having worked at a few companies previously, I have found that Mocana has become one of those companies most Software Engineers wish to end up working for.

Cons

Growing pains of a start-up. The Atlas Engineering team is constantly under deadlines, so the workload and stress level can get high at times.

Advice to Management

Attempt to solidify long-term goals and sell along those lines

Never make a mistake....

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Mocana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are awesome, great groups of people.

Cons

Executives are extremely critical, overly harsh and lack communication skills.

Advice to Management

Give the assistant a chance to learn the ropes, have one person mentor/train the person so they can succeed. If people are set up to fail, they will. Give people the tools to do their jobs effectively such as IT support for calendar issues and a travel so the EA is NOT a travel agent.

Wickedly smart, hardworking fun people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collectively - some of the smartest engineers I have worked with. Really nice office. Free lunch on Thursdays. Flexible schedules. Very exciting bleeding edge technology. A very supportive culture. Great career opportunities - lots of promotions from within the org.

Cons

As a previous poster has pointed out (repeatedly) the company has changed direction a few times in recent years, which can be frustrating and disruptive for long time employees. However, new leadership has articulated a clear product strategy for an end to end mobile application protection solution which is getting significant industry support - so the turbulence of the past is unlikely to be repeated

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent on company strategy

Ain't Goin' Nowhere

Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All these other reviews are 100% true except for the ones that rate Senior Leadership more than two stars. Those reviews are obviously fake and written by current management. Unlike other startups, our problem is relatively simple - current management. If we fix this problem, our business will get better quickly.

Cons

I do not repeat what others said about the cons. Too many lies, too much politics and confusion for a small company like us. No one likes current management, and they have to go.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Admit your incapability, and accept responisibilty for your mistakes. Find someones to replace current management.

Could be good...

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time

Pros

Smart people, decent pay and benefits, good location, industry is growing rapidly, no weekends or crazy hours, recent round of venture capital.

Cons

Management gets in the way of getting product out the door. Lots of conflict between teams and departments. CEO keeps saying company is doing great even when there are layoffs and poor sales and thinks a game of ping pong is company culture.

Advice to Management

Stop getting in the way of the potential of the company.

Completely true.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time

Pros

All these other reviews are 100% true. It's really nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Cons

Been thinking about leaving for a while, but the thing that really did it for me was when they canned the CFO. Not only was he by far the most liked and respected exec across the company, but then the CEO sent out a company-wide email to EVERYONE explaining in detail how bad he was. I mean, I'm sure he had his reasons for letting him go, but beating him down in public like that is just plain wrong, unprofessional behavior no matter what the situation. If they could treat the CFO like that, what's to say they wouldn't do the same to any of us?

Advice to Management

Accept responisibilty for your mistakes.

Great set of people, long term plan was never clear from Senior Management

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Talent and efficient engineers in Engineering. Have a great product in the cryptography side

Cons

Not enough customers or purchases to really grow the company. Plan for how to sustain growth is unclear. CEO seems to be either in Ivory Tower or doesn't know what's going on. CEO relies heavily on others to chart the vision of the company. Management doesn't know how to get to 100m or more revenue.

Advice to Management

Find someone with a true vision of what to do with the product(s) and make them CEO.

RSS Feed </> Embed