Mocana Reviews

12 reviews filtered by
2.4
James Isaacs
1 Rating

Wickedly smart, hardworking fun people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Collectively - some of the smartest engineers I have worked with. Really nice office. Free lunch on Thursdays. Flexible schedules. Very exciting bleeding edge technology. A very supportive culture. Great career opportunities - lots of promotions from within the org.

Cons

As a previous poster has pointed out (repeatedly) the company has changed direction a few times in recent years, which can be frustrating and disruptive for long time employees. However, new leadership has articulated a clear product strategy for an end to end mobile application protection solution which is getting significant industry support - so the turbulence of the past is unlikely to be repeated

Continue to be transparent on company strategy

Never make a mistake....

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Mocana full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are awesome, great groups of people.

Cons

Executives are extremely critical, overly harsh and lack communication skills.

Give the assistant a chance to learn the ropes, have one person mentor/train the person so they can succeed. If people are set up to fail, they will. Give people the tools to do their jobs effectively such as IT support for calendar issues and a travel so the EA is NOT a travel agent.

Ain't Goin' Nowhere

Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

All these other reviews are 100% true except for the ones that rate Senior Leadership more than two stars. Those reviews are obviously fake and written by current management. Unlike other startups, our problem is relatively simple - current management. If we fix this problem, our business will get better quickly.

Cons

I do not repeat what others said about the cons. Too many lies, too much politics and confusion for a small company like us. No one likes current management, and they have to go.

Be transparent. Admit your incapability, and accept responisibilty for your mistakes. Find someones to replace current management.

Could be good...

I worked at Mocana full-time

Pros

Smart people, decent pay and benefits, good location, industry is growing rapidly, no weekends or crazy hours, recent round of venture capital.

Cons

Management gets in the way of getting product out the door. Lots of conflict between teams and departments. CEO keeps saying company is doing great even when there are layoffs and poor sales and thinks a game of ping pong is company culture.

Stop getting in the way of the potential of the company.

Completely true.

I have been working at Mocana full-time

Pros

All these other reviews are 100% true. It's really nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Cons

Been thinking about leaving for a while, but the thing that really did it for me was when they canned the CFO. Not only was he by far the most liked and respected exec across the company, but then the CEO sent out a company-wide email to EVERYONE explaining in detail how bad he was. I mean, I'm sure he had his reasons for letting him go, but beating him down in public like that is just plain wrong, unprofessional behavior no matter what the situation. If they could treat the CFO like that, what's to say they wouldn't do the same to any of us?

Accept responisibilty for your mistakes.

Great set of people, long term plan was never clear from Senior Management

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Talent and efficient engineers in Engineering. Have a great product in the cryptography side

Cons

Not enough customers or purchases to really grow the company. Plan for how to sustain growth is unclear. CEO seems to be either in Ivory Tower or doesn't know what's going on. CEO relies heavily on others to chart the vision of the company. Management doesn't know how to get to 100m or more revenue.

Find someone with a true vision of what to do with the product(s) and make them CEO.

8. Great people, interesting products to work on

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Mocana full-time

Pros

Smartest people I've ever worked with. We have what it takes to get ahead and stay ahead in the industry: a great team, and solid products.

Cons

Make no mistake: Mocana is a startup. There is chaos and risk-taking, and it can get stressful at times.

Be more transparent about financials to ease concerns about the short-term future of the company, so we can focus on the long-term.

Communication Error

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering staff is brilliant. Break room is always stocked full of good eats. Support staff is pleasant and easy to work with.

Cons

While there was a lot of communication from the top level, it never seemed to match with the facts. The Exec management seemed to be absent and disconnected from the day to day operations of the company. It is a start up but there isn't a start-up 'urgent' mentality which makes for a great place to work but not one that you expect to truly succeed.

Be honest with current situations and forecasts. The board needs to reevaluate senior management and put in doer/managers versus visionaries.

Mixed - some good, some bad, some ugly

Current Employee - Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Mocana full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Engineering team is smart and functional. Semi-agile development environment. Decent salary and benefits, free commute checks, telecommuting ok, nice to be in the security industry and work on interesting, challenging products.

Cons

No strategic plan, upper management is inexperienced and reactive, products change direction on a daily basis, lots of conflict with other departments, too many meetings. CEO sends email saying company is doing well then lays off a bunch of people.

Grow up, get along, learn how to manage your departments and your company.

Sr. Engineer telling the truth

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Mocana full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Telecommute, Free lunch, Smart engineers

Cons

Chaotic situation all the time

Need to focus on a feasible plan